img_02004_ride_or_die_design.jpg
shit_out_the_door.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1366.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

What about the insert brightness? Can you turn them down. The whole lighting situation on WOZ really... well it SUCKS! Too much brightness on the inserts and not enough GI.

Mayday! mayday!! Where's that eject button?!?

No, the insert intensity is not adjustable as far as I can tell (yet). The multicolor LEDs make the machine. It's mesmerizing to play and watch. It's like an acid trip with the coordinated color splashes.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

See this is another example of WOZ owners being overly sensitive. He *never* said "it sucks"!
He said the GI lighting sucks (not the game). From what I can tell, he's right. Saying that something sucks when it is really lacking isn't such a big deal, is it? To the point of people truly being offended?
Lighten up people!

He could've said "It's mediocre at this point." He could've said "It's inadequate." Instead, he chose combative wording. Don't be obtuse.

There's a clear line between objective criticism and verbally defecating on something. Mccune crossed that line.

#53 10 years ago

If anything, AC/DC in a darkened room would look even brighter than it does in a lit room.

The GI placement and output on WOZ is clearly a design problem. Those constant pulsing yellow brick road lights are clearly there to keep the brightness at an "acceptable" level on the playfield. Software is not going to create light where none exists. Twilight Zone is a widebody and it is a very dark game, but at this point is still somewhat brighter than WOZ.

Personally, I expected more with the GI. Given the ability of the LED's to change colors, I expected a GI that could change to match certain modes. That could still happen but it is not going to be nearly as effective as it could be.

Yes, right now the GI sucks. Turning a blind eye to find common ground when describing a design shortcoming will not lead to any rethinking of GI layout for future games.

#54 10 years ago

Nobody is turning a blind eye, it is a known issue and is being addressed.

#55 10 years ago

He could've said "It's mediocre at this point." - but it's worse than mediocre.

He could've said "It's inadequate." - but that word itself is "inadequate".

sucks [sʌks]
interj Slang
1. an expression of disappointment

Nothing combative in that definition and given the anticipation and other great qualities of the game, and the attention paid to the insert lighting the "inadequate" GI lighting, frankly, sucks!

Remind me to make sure I never enroll my kid on one of those little leagues where no one wins.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

He could've said "It's mediocre at this point." He could've said "It's inadequate." Instead, he chose combative wording. Don't be obtuse.
There's a clear line between objective criticism and verbally defecating on something. Mccune crossed that line.

Did you feel that way about the thread entitled "Stern sucks?"

"Sucks" gets thrown around constantly on this site. In relation to companies, pins, quality control, rules, designers, pretty much everything. I think this is the first time I've seen people complain about it or suggest the word is somehow off limits.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Nobody is turning a blind eye, it is a known issue and is being addressed.

Yes, by owners installing spotlights. Is Jack going to have owners drill more holes in the game? How much brightness is he going to crank out of these LED's? It just reaches a point where it is what it is.

Ok, almost three posts in a row for me. I'm done.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Mayday! mayday!! Where's that eject button?!?

What?

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

He could've said "It's mediocre at this point." - but it's worse than mediocre.
He could've said "It's inadequate." - but that word itself is "inadequate".
sucks [sʌks]
interj Slang
Nothing combative in that definition and given the anticipation and other great qualities of the game, and the attention paid to the insert lighting the "inadequate" GI lighting, franky, sucks!
Remind me to make sure I never enroll my kid on one of those little leagues where no one wins.

Heyyy, look, another post from someone who only has Stern pins in his collection and wishlist bashing WOZ. How refreshing.

How much time have you spent playing WOZ in person? I don't have WOZ, and don't plan to buy it any time soon, but I hadn't noticed any GI issues until people pissed and moaned about it on the internet.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

"Sucks" gets thrown around constantly on this site. In relation to companies, pins, quality control, rules, designers, pretty much everything. I think this is the first time I've seen people complain about it or suggest the word is somehow off limits.

That's because it is being used as a descriptor for an aspect of WOZ.

#61 10 years ago

Played it a bunch of times on at Silverball. Probably more than some owners. I also had WOZ on preorder twice but chose not to put my money into the game because I had other issues with creative decisions. Guess what? In a lit room the game looked "dark".

So the fact that this is an even bigger problem for those playing in a dark room sucks, stinks, is a major bummer. Stop shooting the messenger and open your minds to the fact that not everything is perfect in the land of Oz.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

Did you feel that way about the thread entitled "Stern sucks?"

I probably would've agreed with that thread at one point, but have since realized that Stern kinda rocks. I would probably give someone shit for saying "Stern sucks," as they've had a few games that make my wishlist, and frankly the best used games between $3500 and $5000 are Stern games generally. To say that Stern sucks is, in my opinion, willfully ignorant, both because of Stern's library of good games and because of their ability to keep producing pinball games when the market was at its worst.

There are things that suck in pinball; I don't think WOZ's GI is bad enough to warrant that choice of wording, and I think the people who choose that wording are generally trying to make inflammatory posts.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

Exactly !

You guys have gotten so thinned skinned in the last 30 or so months, it is sad to see how much this game has divided the pinball world .

I love how the real problem is diverted to a word choice. I am NOT apologizing for using the word SUCKS !

Quoted from Spankey:

ucks [sʌks]
interj Slang

Bravo !

I already said ,I hope JJP gets this fixed as the game seems almost unplayable in this state !

Good thing guys like Markmon have shown what a bit of modding can do for this game, make no mistake that the game needs to be fixed before it is put in a box !

#64 10 years ago

Read my prior post referencing a stall, downward spiral and then thread crash. My attempt at humor not a referendum on getting anyone booted.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

open your minds to the fact that not everything is perfect in the land of Oz.

Who's saying they like the GI as it is? Listen and then you will hear. I'm not a JJP fanboy, I'm not a Stern zealot, I'm a pinball player and collector. I appreciate good games, built well.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Exactly !
You guys have gotten so thinned skinned in the last 30 or so months, it is sad to see how much this game has divided the pinball world .

It has only divided the pinball world become some people cop a shit attitude about it, much like how some people cop a shit attitude about Stern's games.

WOZ is a cool game. Stern makes some cool games. Why can't we all just love pinball?

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It has only divided the pinball world become some people cop a shit attitude about it

The shit attitude was built in from conception ! Anytime you slam a product to make yourself look better,you automatically create "shit attitude" Sad but true .

#68 10 years ago

Another WOZ thread derailed. I was hoping to seem something about 1.18 other than just the GI status.

#69 10 years ago

Calm down guys lol

#70 10 years ago

The GI brightness has been an issue for quite some time now. Finally JJP addresses the issue and it's not much better. Now that the second update in two days hasn't fixed the problem I wonder what they plan to do now?

Trying to keep this on topic.

#71 10 years ago

The GI brightness has been an issue for quite some time now. Finally JJP addresses the issue and it's not much better. Now that the second update in two days hasn't fixed the problem I wonder what they plan to do now?

The best thing they can do at this point is throw a couple spotlights on it from the factory and call it a day.

#72 10 years ago

Agreed, it's not fixed to my satisfaction yet. I have said as much. I don't believe anyone has said "all better now" as a result of 1.18. Fortunately Jack does care and does listen.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The best thing they can do at this point is throw a couple spotlights on it from the factory and call it a day.

Yep.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

That's what I'm thinking too. I really hope they do something about the insert brightness though. Make it adjustable.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm a tinny bit glad I'm not getting my game for a couple of months.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Maybe, they tried the elegant approach with software, while better, it still falls short. I can wait it out, The invisiglass lets me play with my neons on, giving me plenty of light.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Fortunately Jack does care and does listen.

That's right, like with the weak-flipper issue which was resolved, they do seem to be listening and responding to people's concerns.

As the owners have reported, the GI lamps are brighter now, so that's an improvement. Let's wait and see what else they have, perhaps they have things planned that they just haven't implemented yet.

They seem to be making things adjustable as they develop the software, for example in 1.16 they added difficulty setttings for the crystal ball targets, so it's possible the GI and insert lamp strength will be adjustable too.

Anyone have any comments about the "novice videos" added in 1.16, I'd like to know what they are like and how about the new rules and virtual locks for rescue multiball?

#77 10 years ago

Coming from someone who owns the game I can say the inserts are way too bright and flash way too much.(yellow brick road inserts are the worst) Sure it draws in the little kiddies and non pin-heads but the psychedelic feel gets old. I will definitely buy an aftermarket GI kit when someone here makes it. Hopefully the inserts will be toned down or at least adjustable in future updates. I haven't actually played WOZ more than a few times in the last several weeks because I don't want to sour myself on it before its done.

#78 10 years ago

BDK voice overs suck
It sucks that WOF never got a wizard mode.
New stern pegs for under playfield suck.

Never heard anyone get defensive on those points before.

Anyway, I do have to agree with John that McCune would never say that to the face of WOZ GI.

#79 10 years ago

I installed the 1.18 code and I bugs coils: slingshoot, coil to go to the mini tray (not enough power)
  (I have not done further, maybe I have other bugs)

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I installed the 1.18 code and I bugs coils: slingshoot, coil to go to the mini tray (not enough power)
  (I have not done further, maybe I have other bugs)

You probably have to set the coil strengths since the update likely reset your previous settings.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

make no mistake that the game needs to be fixed before it is put in a box

and if not, get out a dremel...or little LED's on a metal post

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

If anything, AC/DC in a darkened room would look even brighter than it does in a lit room.
The GI placement and output on WOZ is clearly a design problem. Those constant pulsing yellow brick road lights are clearly there to keep the brightness at an "acceptable" level on the playfield. Software is not going to create light where none exists. Twilight Zone is a widebody and it is a very dark game, but at this point is still somewhat brighter than WOZ.
Personally, I expected more with the GI. Given the ability of the LED's to change colors, I expected a GI that could change to match certain modes. That could still happen but it is not going to be nearly as effective as it could be.
Yes, right now the GI sucks. Turning a blind eye to find common ground when describing a design shortcoming will not lead to any rethinking of GI layout for future games.

I have to disagree about the TZ / WOZ comparison. I own a TZ and still find it to be dimmer than WOZ. To be fair I haven't put LED's in the game yet but I never hear anyone saying negative things about the lighting.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You probably have to set the coil strengths since the update likely reset your previous settings.

Why on earth are coils for basic functions not set to proper strength by default? I can see where having an adjustment in a menu somewhere is a good thing - especially for flippers. If the games vary from machine to machine so much that basic items don't function out of the box with the default settings, this is a big problem to me. What am I missing here?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Calm down guys lol

lol. Is it time for some prozac cookies again? I can't remember what mod said that but it gave me a pretty good laugh.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Exactly !
I love how the real problem is diverted to a word choice. I am NOT apologizing for using the word SUCKS !

Bravo !
I already said ,I hope JJP gets this fixed as the game seems almost unplayable in this state !
Good thing guys like Markmon have shown what a bit of modding can do for this game, make no mistake that the game needs to be fixed before it is put in a box !

Unplayable? Games have been on location for over a year yet discussion about the GI just started a week or two ago...Personally, myself and many others never noticed the dim GI as we don't play in a pitch dark room. I do agree that a couple white LED spot lights in the lower playfield would solve the issue for playing in a room that is not lit and from what I can see a couple LED reflector spotlights would run JJP less then $8 after they order in volume.

#86 10 years ago

This is a great 1.14 vs 1.18 lighting comparison video. The GI has definitely improved yet I can see why some people may want to add a couple spotlights for when playing in unlit rooms. Check out the new 1.18 light show starting at 1:22, absolutely stunning! WOZ is really starting to have that feeling of being a special game that only comes around every so often.

http://www.pinplay.com/7/jjp_woz_gi_comparison_114_vs_118.html

#at=78

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Unplayable? Games have been on location for over a year yet discussion about the GI just started a week or two ago...Personally, myself and many others never noticed the dim GI as we don't play in a pitch dark room. I do agree that a couple white LED spot lights in the lower playfield would solve the issue for playing in a room that is not lit and from what I can see a couple LED reflector spotlights would run JJP less then $8 after they order in volume.

Actually it was mentioned by a lot of people at the Ohio show about the GI 5 months ago.

Quote from MrDo

"GI - The GI color cycles during attract mode, and looks incredible! During gameplay, the GI doesn't do much. In fact, I did hear a woman mention how dark it looked. I'm not so sure that the GI was dark, but rather that the inserts (particularly the yellow brick road) are SO bright! As mentioned earlier, the yellow brick road is not interactive. It goes through a preset effect the entire time you're playing."

#88 10 years ago

wicked video, thanks for that.

#89 10 years ago

Nice video, this Pinplay guy is really doing professional stuff.

That light display looks great, really shows what the RGB LEDs can do.

#90 10 years ago

I pre ordered WOZ mainly for the GI.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

and if not, get out a dremel

You are going to need a whole lot more than a Dremel to fix the issues I have seen. You guys are keeping the really bad stuff a secret !

#92 10 years ago

I have had the game since Thursday and am still running 1.14. GI is too dark to play in a very dark room or very dark arcade. It is, however, completely awesome and fully playable with just a bit of overhead lighting.

I hope that JJP fixes the GI problem with software or aftermarket hardware, if he doesn't, then I will. But it isn't a lighting emergency for us, for sure.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You are going to need a whole lot more than a Dremel to fix the issues I have seen. You guys are keeping the really bad stuff a secret !

Oh come on... now you're just taunting me with the exact same kind of thread-derailing comments I'm getting nailed for complaining about in another thread!

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Oh come on... now you're just taunting me with the exact same kind of thread-derailing comments I'm getting nailed for complaining about in another thread!

Sunfox - be careful. We all took an oath to keep the really bad things a secret. Don't get sucked in to this.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Your buddy Doug taunted me with the Dremel . LOL Blame him. It is always a WOZ guy the derails the threads .

#96 10 years ago

It is always a WOZ guy the derails the threads .

Hmmm....

Ac/dc would be just as bright with the lights off ! Just admit it ,WOZ GI sucks !

And from another thread which was on topic until this:

This thread is hilarious !

Hmmm...on the second post nonetheless...a little slow with the edit button.

shit_out_the_door.jpgshit_out_the_door.jpg

You stir shit up, Jim. That's fine, and I've got no problem with it. I'm just tired of you denying that you do it. Stir it up, admit it, and own it.

#97 10 years ago

Turn your lights on. Fixed!

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

You stir shit up, Jim. That's fine, and I've got no problem with it. I'm just tired of you denying that you do it. Stir it up, admit it, and own it.

If making comments to others people crazy comparisons is stiring it up , then so be it .

You quote me saying "this thread is hilarious" You did not see the humor in that thread? So we have a different sense of humor,does that make me a bad guy ?

As far as the " shit flying out the door" I edited that because I knew you and others would ball like a baby. I have friends waiting for there WOZLE, only to see other people get there standards first that ordered months later ? Again different sense of humor.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Hmmm....

And from another thread which was on topic until this:

Hmmm...on the second post nonetheless...a little slow with the edit button.

^This

#100 10 years ago

I think we could probably lock this one down and be done.

There is a really good discussion of possible solutions for the GI on another thread today.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-118-online/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.