Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I had the opportunity last night to play about 10-15 games on a WOZECLE running 1.14. Overall I had a great time with the game. The main thing that stuck out to me is that there's so much to do in this game. I know the code isn't complete but it's cool seeing just how many possible shots are in the game. I'll admit that when I played the game earlier this year (prototype) I was skeptical of the rollover targets on the playfield. However, after seeing how the game is developing I think the rollover targets are actually pretty cool and offer something new to the player in terms of what to aim for. Flow wise I think the game flows well and this is coming from someone that own's an ACDC Premium. The main ramp shot is similar to TZ but as someone who own's that game I say that's where the the similarities end shot wise. There are tough shots in this game but they are rewarding ones especially if you can combo and can result in fast gameplay.

I've watched a couple 1.14 videos and was anxious to try out the spinning house with the latest code. For some reason hitting the loop continuously on the upper right mini playfield doesn't seem that hard while watching a video but in person I found it to be fast and a good challenge. It does take some work to qualify the twister (spinning house) so I also found it nice that the game offers the player a second chance (shoot to "twist again") to access it if they drain quickly on the twister mini playfield.

I was able to qualify for Emerald City multiball a few times and found the MB to be a lot of fun. I recently sold an HUO LOTR (awesome game, one of my favorites) to order a WOZECLE but only did so as this game has similar depth elements to it in my opinion. EC MB has numerous steps a player must go through to progress though the multiball which in the end made it feel similar to other great MB's such as Fellowship of the Ring MB. While I was able to get to the upper left mini playfield I was unable to get Rescue multiball. Personally I think that the upper left mini playfield is now my new favorite mini playfield. Besides the Winged Monkey toy bringing your ball up it has a lockable feature, loop shot, 6 targets, the castle door and of course the shot inside...all in a mini playfield! Two of my other favorite features include the State Fair and Toto mini games. In other games (unless there's a kickback) the outlanes are just outlanes but in WOZ there still important to gameplay which is pretty darn cool.

The attention to quality in the game is great and you can really see just by the feel of the game how much work went into. I know it's been said before but this game just look's beautiful and is built like a tank. Like I said at the beginning the game just has so much for the player to do and this is with the game not even being complete code wise. I found the LCD to be helpful in a complex game such as WOZ by providing all relevant information to the player while at the same time producing some very nice high res animations. I did have a couple issues with the sound going out on the game once but JJP is on top of it and I'm sure a software update will be out soon. I wish that the GI lightning was brighter but I heard that will be an adjustable feature in time. Overall this game is shaping up nicely and I look forward to seeing how it continues to develop overtime. Once I receive my game I'll be sure to post a gameplay video or two as the code continues to progress.

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for a great review. I haven't got a chance to play WOZ 1.14, but I am certainly looking forward to it.

#3 10 years ago

Great review, and I'm sure we will enjoy more as the code progresses. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#4 10 years ago

You're welcome!

There's a few other things I wanted to mention. The sound quality on WOZ is fantastic. As I played the game I could easily tell that audio is being played in stereo. Also, the "Horse of a different color" mode is pretty cool as its a static mode that lasts through your entire game. I believe once you obtain each horse you can collect the reward by lifting the upper right flipper and hitting the collect shot behind it.

#5 10 years ago

Nice review. No WOZ nearby me to play.

1) It was early code when I played it back in March at TPF, but I found the EC MB to be a bit frustrating in that to qualify the locks, you had to intentionally shoot at roll-overs that weren't part of a major shot (with the backhand of the ramp the exception -- nets you a scarecrow letter). It seemed to me that players that just flailed at the ball qualified EC MB just as quickly/frequently as players trying to get there through controlled play.

Do you find yourself intentionally trying to qualify EC MB locks, or just letting it happen eventually on its own from random ball paths across the playfield?

To use your comparison to LOTR MB's: to qualify FOTR (on default) requires one completion of all the major shot elements, TTT is best qualified through inlane returns from the ramps, and ROTK requires a combination of successful skill shot, skillful shots via Ents, or combo of L orbit from R inlane.

2) What are some of the combo rewards to which you refer?

#6 10 years ago

My impressions of it after playing 1.14 are similar. There is way more to do than I expected. I think the No Place Like Home part from the State Fair balloon was my favorite part, and that was because I lost the ball, but then got to play a really cool mode. Amazing there is that much detail for outlanes. I really think just on software alone WOZ will be a game for the ages. If it is his good now, it will be crazy when it is done.

#7 10 years ago

I didn't see any combo rewards but I hope they are coming. I was just referring to combo shots being fun flow wise. If there's one other thing (probably 50 things, lol) I would like to see in the game it's more callouts for jackpots. Hopefully more callouts are coming. More callouts from whoever does the voice work for the wizard would be awesome, after all the game is called Wizard of Oz.

At times I did find myself aiming for the rollovers to achieve a lock for EC MB while at other times it occurred by chance.

#8 10 years ago

when will we hear Julie sing Somewhere over the rainbow???

#9 10 years ago

Hmmm, could very well be planned for the games "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" wizard mode!

#10 10 years ago

It looks like she is signing it during the rainbow mode but there is no soundtrack to back it up

#11 10 years ago

As a strategy, do you think that it would be better to aim at other targets besides the rollovers and just let them complete on their own?

#12 10 years ago

That seems like it can work at times too. Aiming for a "Rainbow" target can definitely result in the ball hitting a rollover.

#13 10 years ago

I wish that the rainbow targets were drop targets.

#14 10 years ago

One thing I do not like is that locks on the right ramp take president over the Munchkinland Frenzy. If you have both ready to go and you hit the ramp, it locks the ball and you have to hit it again to start Munchkinland. If you have all 3 locks lit, you have to shoot the ramp 4 times to start it.

#15 10 years ago

^^i think being forced to make choices is a good thing.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

^^i think being forced to make choices is a good thing.

You don't get a choice though, it gives you the lock automatically.

#17 10 years ago

dont you have to light the lock first before it will lock a ball?

#18 10 years ago

Yes, as a result of x amount of rollover targets hit for either the Scarecrow, Tin Man, or Cowardly Lion.

#19 10 years ago

When going for the RAINBOW standups, it is extremely difficult to not light at least 1 lock even if you aren't shooting for the rollovers at all.

#20 10 years ago

I see what your saying, i dont know the game or rules well enough to make a suggestion other then it has to be possible to start twister (or munchkin etc.)before locking ball after ball, even if you get screwed and end up lighting at least one lock. I guess once you get up there, make it count, otherwise your likely to light another lock again before getting up there again. Thats the best advice i could give knowing so little..

#21 10 years ago

One question I do have for the JJP guys is if coding and creating animations (versus dot matrix animations) for WOZ is more difficult or easier then past systems they have worked on?

#22 10 years ago

Anyone know when the drop target in front of the castle upkicker is supposed to be up. I remember it being up all the time pre-1.14 code, but after Lloyd updated it at SS Billiards, I have never seen it raised once now. Is it not used in the new code or is there an issue with the target?

#23 10 years ago

You can change how many hits the winkie guard needs in settings iirc

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Anyone know when the drop target in front of the castle upkicker is supposed to be up. I remember it being up all the time pre-1.14 code, but after Lloyd updated it at SS Billiards, I have never seen it raised once now. Is it not used in the new code or is there an issue with the target?

Default settings... Up when the game starts. One hit knocks it down to access the castle. Subsequently, 3 hits are required to knock it down. That has been working well before 1.14.

However, during play, there is no sound when you hit it or when it resets. So it sure can appear to be up all the time. To gauge progress, look at the screen to see how many guards are still standing.

#25 10 years ago

It is definitely down all the time on Lloyd's game, so I'll have to ask him to look into that. The problem is magnified since the upper playfield doesn't do much right now and people just repeatedly hit that shot to get it up there over and over thinking something magic is going to happen.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is definitely down all the time on Lloyd's game,

It works in tests, I'll have to check settings when I can get at it.

LTG : )

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is definitely down all the time on Lloyd's game

I called JJP tech support and he walked me right through it. even though it worked in test, both coil and switch. The switch in fact was loose and hanging by one screw.

All fixed now, adjusted, and working.

Disclaimer : No I didn't really call me.

#29 10 years ago

I installed 1.14 on our prototype machine today and it works fine on the old hardware. Just an FYI in case any of the others with prototypes read this. I did have to image the HDD on an external PC as I couldn't get the older mainboard to boot the USB drive.
Love the way the software is shaping up.
D

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I called JJP tech support and he walked me right through it. even though it worked in test, both coil and switch. The switch in fact was loose and hanging by one screw.
All fixed now, adjusted, and working.
Disclaimer : No I didn't really call me.

Good one Lloyd.

#31 10 years ago

Played new code at SS Billiards last night.
Really seeing this coming along nicely.
Huge difference than last expo when I played last.
Game is/will be phenomenal !

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Played new code at SS Billiards last night.
Really seeing this coming along nicely.
Huge difference than last expo when I played last.
Game is/will be phenomenal !

I appreciate your comments as much as anybody, especially considering how tight you have been with Stern. Thanks

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I appreciate your comments as much as anybody, especially considering how tight you have been with Stern. Thanks

Well, he does have a JJP tattoo.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Well, he does have a JJP tattoo.

Yeah, but the tat of Gary's smiling face is on a far more intimate area.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 24.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-114-gameplay-impressions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.