(Topic ID: 30814)

Wow! Roller Coaster Tycoon is the worst!

By DrewAVL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by shardian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shardian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 11 years ago

I seem to remember reading a gameroom magazine interview with Pat Lawlor in which he said he delivered the whitewood and the basic rules layout, and then Stern kicked his group to the curb to finish the game in-house and that was their cost saving MO for a few years when games were never "complete" (RCT, Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune).
RCT feels like a VERY incomplete game to me, and is missing all the Lawlor nuances in the code that you just know he would have meant to be there. I mean, is there a more worthless upper flipper looping shot in pinball? The modes are horribly uninspiring except for power ride and toss your cookies.

The framework was there for an awesome game, but was never completed.

As for our RCT, my wife was a troll fan when we were kids. We went through her collection of Trolls, and she picked one out to put in place of the stock troll. The new troll is bigger, and has a tongue that he spits out at you when you squeeze him. His tongue was broke though, so it just sticks out and flops around now - a neat effect. She also made a pair of swim trunks for him so he wouldn't be naked.

Once installed, we got a really neat surprise. Due to his added height, his head will thump the glass in varying strengths during his movement. The sound/feel is similar to a shaker motor. It adds a neat dimension to gameplay so I left it alone.

For the price, it can't be beat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shardian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wow-roller-coaster-tycoon-is-the-worst?tu=shardian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.