8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by fusion301
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0504.JPG
    images.jpeg
    LOTR.jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

played 7 games on this last night and i cant understand how this one ranks so high, just wasnt a big fan of it at all.

they also had a junk yard and i thouhgt that one was more fun then LOTR

flamesuit on

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

i cant understand how this one ranks so high, just wasnt a big fan of it at all.

+1. I love the theme, but wasn't a big fan of the game.

Quoted from dvandentop:

Junk Yard and i thouhgt that one was more fun then LOTR

+10. I bought my JY to flip, but now I think I'm going to keep it, I like it so much. The midnight madness is awesome!!!

Note, never flipped a game, for that matter sold one. Just buy. I do have someone coming to look at my Robocop Arcade game today. Hope that sells. That money will go into the pinball fund.

Flame suit enabled also.

#3 8 years ago

Blasphemy! You need to move to Sioux City with that kind of crazy talk.

#4 8 years ago

I agree, played it many times at PHOF, and can't get into it. But I do HATE the movies....

#6 8 years ago

I think alot of it has to do with the theme. Look at Family Guy & Shrek. They're the same darn pin but FG is about 100 spots ahead bc more people like FG.

#7 8 years ago

I own LOTR, love the theme, the movies, etc...but of the pins I own it's my least favorite to play and would be the first to go to make room for something else.

#8 8 years ago

JY over LOTR!!?? Thats crazy talk around here! But to each their own.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

would be the first to go to make room for something else

I would take it off your hands for the right price. Trade for a JY?

#10 8 years ago

I know, I just posted abovr how I like JY better, but I'm looking at earning potential here. (In my buddies store)

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

played 7 games on this last night and i cant understand how this one ranks so high, just wasnt a big fan of it at all.

they also had a Junk Yard and i thouhgt that one was more fun then LOTR

flamesuit on

Personally I think that you *should* be flamed for making an assessment of a game like this based on a whopping 7 plays.

JY is not even in the same league as LOTR.

#12 8 years ago

I couldn't agree more

#13 8 years ago

LOTR is a game you wont like until you play 70 games - its like playing chess 5 times and saying this game sucks - until you understand it and form a strategy before you even plunge the ball, you will not like it. Once you understand the rules it makes other games seem like your just flipping around with no real purpose. For casual players LOTR is not the game to play

#14 8 years ago

i've seen people rate games without even getting a multiball going on them, much less getting a jackpot. just sayin'...

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i've seen people rate games without even getting a multiball going on them, much less getting a jackpot. just sayin'...

to be honest, I have seen ratings from people who haven't even played, maybe even SEEN the game

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

LOTR is a game you wont like until you play 70 games - its like playing chess 5 times and saying this game sucks - until you understand it and form a strategy before you even plunge the ball, you will not like it. Once you understand the rules it makes other games seem like your just flipping around with no real purpose. For casual players LOTR is not the game to play

Give him a break, you can only judge on your own experience of the game. He didn't say it sucked.

#17 8 years ago

I guess it depends what happened in those 7 games?

If you got 3 multiballs and destroyed the ring and did not like it, then it is not a game for you.

If you played it and got none of the multiballs or completed a mode, you might need more time to appreciate it

#18 8 years ago

Some games you have to give some time. I felt the same way but then I put some more time on it and I actually started to like it. But hey we are all different so maybe this one is not your cup of tea.

#19 8 years ago

i did get multiball and did get it up into the ring, i do remember playing it before last night after seeing the 500 souls or whatever i was called.

was nice to play 2 diff machines though that arent at my house

#20 8 years ago

Well, if you look at the total package, LOTR has it. Good Artwork, even scoring, depth and breadth of rules, dots, lightshow, sound and voices. Even if you didn't think it was great fun, that is just one of the criteria.

It sounds like you just barely scratched the surface.

#21 8 years ago

I think this is the same for all of us in that we have to make an opinion of a game in a handful of games. Some games need a lot of playing before making a an absolute opinion.

At least we games we own, we really get to know them big time!

Personally I can't see why MM is rated so highly but I have played between 10 and 20 games so my opinion could change a lot if I get to own one........not going to happen

#22 8 years ago

wow I love LOTR.Fast,Fun,deep,beautiful and on my wish list.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

to be honest, I have seen ratings from people who haven't even played, maybe even SEEN the game

Remember a few months ago when machines were getting rated before they were released?

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

But to each their own.

That is true. Different strokes for different folks. When my family visits my dad enjoys Gorgar and Blackout more than some of the new pins. He does not like fast games with deep rule sets. Not what he grew up with and does not connect well with them.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

a good friend of mine had a cherry JY and i played the hell out of it. honestly, the wrecking ball feature was super fun at first..then i found myself annoyed with it.

LOTR, i read all the books in middle school and fell in love with the mythology of the science fiction...so right away i HAD to like LOTR.

i find that this machine needs more time than '7' games...its very deep, plus i like all the different modes personally.

my 2 cents

#26 8 years ago

The depth of LOTR is what makes it as good as it is, just like TSPP. You can't spend 30 min on either and even begin to understand the complexity.

#27 8 years ago

Lotr doesn't click with me I'm afraid, great looker though and always worth putting some money in. I'm not into deep, I'm getting old and want to fit in as many games as possible

#28 8 years ago

When I played LOTR in the arcades a few years back, at first I didn't like it at all. This pin, above all others needs a lot of plays to get into it, and to learn how all the rules work. There are many days when I won't play it, and I'll switch on something more cheerful instead. It's a gloomy machine and a slog to get through all the modes and multiballs to get a good score. Was the LOTR you played fully working? Most LOTR machines in arcades have at least a few things wrong with them that affects the gameplay, often quite badly.

Not played JY, so can't comment on that one. Looking out to play a few games on one sometime to see what it's like.

#29 8 years ago

I HATED TSPP until I got time to play a well maintained one. It's still not my favorite but I like it much more than I did after the first 20 games....

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

When I played LOTR in the arcades a few years back, at first I didn't like it at all. This pin, above all others needs a lot of plays to get into it, and to learn how all the rules work. There are many days when I won't play it, and I'll switch on something more cheerful instead. It's a gloomy machine and a slog to get through all the modes and multiballs to get a good score. Was the LOTR you played fully working? Most LOTR machines in arcades have at least a few things wrong with them that affects the gameplay, often quite badly.

Not played JY, so can't comment on that one. Looking out to play a few games on one sometime to see what it's like.

I think LOTR a beaut and enjoy it for a game or two. It is the playfield layout, looks, theme and sound package that are the magic. When it comes to game play/rules I'm with dvandentop. I have played it both on site and in peoples homes, even got some good scores. The ball times are too long. I once played in a foursome and had to stand around waiting for an hour as Martin Ayub clocked up 255m in the pinball league.

JY gets old fast

Still if either was my only pin I would love them, It's all relative.

Each to their own.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

Give him a break, you can only judge on your own experience of the game. He didn't say it sucked.

I didn't say he said it sucked, I said its like playing chess 5 times and saying it sucks (Chess)

Either which way as everyone seems to agree its not for everyone but it does take a lot of time before you really can enjoy all its depth, for me its a game Im thinking three shots ahead of what Im doing - I only play few games a night of it then move on to something like BSD to get my butt kicked

#32 8 years ago

I didn't say he said it sucked, I said its like playing chess 5 times and saying it sucks (Chess)

totally..
    here's me at one of our LOTR sessions..before it was sold

LOTR.jpg

#33 8 years ago

This is why we need more than one pin!

Sometimes it is time for a quest, othertimes a quick 5 minute game of FT!

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

The ball times are too long. I once played in a foursome and had to stand around waiting for an hour as Martin Ayub clocked up 255m in the pinball league.

Yes, I remember that game, if it was the one at the South Coast Slam. I stood there ages watching Martin as he finally got to Destroy The Ring on double scoring. One reason why I don't compete in competitions, there's too much waiting around for us poorer players...

LOTR is not a good multi-player machine for that reason.

#35 8 years ago

To me LOTR is the standard against which all other pins are judged. It blends theme, art, music, gameplay, and fun together better than any other pin I've ever played. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

kmoore88 said:

would be the first to go to make room for something else

I would take it off your hands for the right price. Trade for a JY?

I didn't say I didn't like it, just not one of my favorites . It would take something like JJP's 2nd pin or a Harry Potter pin (future buys) for me to part with LOTR. At that point I'd be out of room for any more pins.

#37 8 years ago

played 7 games on this last night

Wowwwwwwwwwww.....

A whole SEVEN games on her? You must be tired, would you like a foot rub?

images.jpeg
    "WHAAAAAT!!!"

Uh-oh, now you've done it!
    Just had to go there, with the whole "JY was more fun"...
    You'd better run dvandentop, Hobbits play for keeps!

But seriously....
    How can you hate on all this LOTR goodness!

IMG_0504.JPG

"So many activities!"

#38 8 years ago

TSPP should be higher than LOTR.

#39 8 years ago

I had LOTR and played more than 500 games. It is good not great...IMO
    The three pins i have now are better by far.

#40 8 years ago

I guess I'm an exception.. I've only played LOTR once and still thought it was a great game. I have played Junkyard twice and like that one as well. If you want to give me either one, I won't be kicking ya out of bed so to speak.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

No it shouldn't.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Quoted from RobT:

No it shouldn't.

+1 RobT

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

7 plays of each? Junk Yard is more fun in that size of sampling. But I have owned both...and in 7 games you have likely seen everything Junk Yard can do. Lord of the Rings is too deep to understand in 7 games, there is so much to see I'll bet you haven't seen 25% of the game in that amount of time.

If anything LOTR is under rated...nice to see it finally pulled into the top 5 as it very much deserves to be there.

#44 8 years ago

will prob give it some more chances since they vendor seemed to have the replay value pretty low and also the match percentage was high

#45 8 years ago

Haven't played yet so I can't judge. However I know now from experiences to wait a long while to judge a game, but I understand gut instincts and first impressions, we all have them!

#46 8 years ago

I dig shooting the eye. I like the gameplay. Seems a very polarizing pin though.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from dvandentop:

will prob give it some more chances since they vendor seemed to have the replay value pretty low and also the match percentage was high

Yeah,Give it another try but it all boils down to what you like

#48 8 years ago

I think I know what you meant to say, LOTR is not a favorite of mine to play at all but it's one of those games that like TZ, or TSPP that even without the "WOW, this is FUUUUUUUNNNN" factor, the art, sounds, modes, ruleset depth, and overall polish put into them is obvious to all I think. TZ, LOTR, and TSPP are all very highly regarded and I find them almost chore-like to play. But, the amount of innovation, depth, art/sound excellence, and other intangibles present definitely earn my respect. Play LOTR a little more, I think once you "get it" you may not love it, but I am sure that you'll see why everyone else rated it so highly.

#49 8 years ago

Not my favorite either. It is a good game, but I also like TSPP more and would play it more if they were side by side.

Nothing wrong with first impressions. Not everybody has to like the same games. If I don't particularly like a game, I'm not putting 70 games on it to bump up my opinion of it. Too many other games to occupy my time.

Cool thing about opinions, nobody can win an argument with you on what you like. They might offer up strong evidence why you should change your feelings, but in the end it is still your choice.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

No it shouldn't.

It doesn't surprise me you say that since your avatar is the ring from Return of the King.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 28.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 10.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 21.00
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside