(Topic ID: 182124)

Would you want a row of great EM's or "A list" SS/DMDs

By embryonjohn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1933 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0069 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7062 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_6976 (resized).JPG
    both (resized).png
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1385 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1266 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1181 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0555 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I couldn't care less about the dollar value or bling factor. EMs just have that touch of history, art & attainable rule sets that've made my conversion to EMs complete.
    Any thoughts?
    If you side with the newer tables, tell me what I'm now missing.

IMG_0555 (resized).JPGIMG_0555 (resized).JPG

IMG_1181 (resized).JPGIMG_1181 (resized).JPG

IMG_1266 (resized).JPGIMG_1266 (resized).JPG

IMG_1385 (resized).JPGIMG_1385 (resized).JPG

IMG_0102 (resized).JPGIMG_0102 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

both (resized).pngboth (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

Row of EM pins please.

#4 7 years ago

I finally cracked the 1975 barrier with Volley. I love EM's, only have one SS machine on my wish list and its a hybrid. I think I enjoy working on EM's more than playing them. This machine took awhile and learned a lot from it

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I went with both. It's too bad most people new to the hobby dismiss EMs

IMG_6976 (resized).JPGIMG_6976 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7062 (resized).JPGIMG_7062 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Lots of black in SS machines. So much, they almost look the same.

#7 7 years ago

What I am working towards; a row of EMs, a row of SS, a row of sys 11s, a row of WPC titles and a row of SAM Stern's
    Not sure how it will all fit, but I can dream

#8 7 years ago

I think you were reading my mind, John.

It's easy to get swept into that "Only B/W DMDs are good" hype, but as my collection matures, and I play more games, I've found myself returning to EMs more and more.

As my buddy says: "Electromechanical games are just classy as F***."

He's right. The art, the sounds, and the raw simplicity make these games absolute gems. Like classic cars, they'll never go out of style.

#9 7 years ago

I really dig EMs because they smell so awesome after they've been on for a while. Oh and they look, play and sound fantastic as well.

#10 7 years ago

And I grew up playing SS.

#11 7 years ago

IMG_0069 (resized).JPGIMG_0069 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I couldn't care less about the dollar value or bling factor. EMs just have that touch of history, art & attainable rule sets that've made my conversion to EMs complete.
    Any thoughts?
    If you side with the newer tables, tell me what I'm now missing.

Hey - I don't see Old Chicago in that lineup. Did you part with it?

#13 7 years ago

I am in the both camp. My first 2 games were EM- then SS then 2 more EM and now another SS... I feel like the early SS Bally games (in particular) can compete with the best EM artwork and they fit really well together. Love this combo. I have played enough "Class A" 90's pins to appreciate what they offer- but the EM and SS era is very very hard to beat. Simple rules- serious pinball. None of the good games are easy or anything close to it. They challenge you every time.

#14 7 years ago

Love my a list lineup....wldnt have it any other way

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

If you side with the newer tables, tell me what I'm now missing

Ramps, lights, music, voices, light shows, intricate rules, speed, magnets, interesting mechanical toys and features, excitement, fun ...

#16 7 years ago

A row of all 19 Ted Zale designed 'zipper flipper' EMs. The ability to find them all in superb-collector quality condition is over 1000x harder than any single modern machine of any type, if you are a collector, not just a player, owner, or enthusiast.

In fact, I only know two people that have them all, and only one that has all 30 that used the feature exclusively.

#17 7 years ago

Both.

Em's are part of history and when well designed, are totally addictive.

I have a 1950's Gottlieb woodrail row ( pre 1955 ) - superbly designed games with complex rulesets ( for an em ) so that there are multiple ( 3 - 6 ) ways to win and many games have jackpots ( wizard modes for 50's ).

And to compliment - a row of Sterns as love the speed and modern rulesets. i.e SM, TRON, TWD, MET, AC/DC, IM. ( Lyman magic ).

Oh and AFM because it's just awesome!

#18 7 years ago

All!

I have majority modern DMDs, but I also have EM, SS and Alpha Numerics.

#19 7 years ago

The different eras of Pinball appeal to different people and that is what makes pinball great.
    I love my own lineup (all DMDs and P2Ks) but I enjoy seeing different pin collections.

#20 7 years ago

Turning on the power to a row of EMs kinda feels like being a kid on Xmas. And if you're lucky you can do it every day!

IMG_1933 (resized).JPGIMG_1933 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-want-a-row-of-great-ems-or-a-list-ssdmds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.