Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lowepg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Looking for opinions on whether you would trade THLE + cash for TWD prem + GOT pro. The latter two games are fun and done, while TH which is merely good in its current state. Yes TH is unique and it might become spectacular, but that is TBD. To be clear, there is no trade offer, this is hypothetical.

TWD prem rules are fleshed out and are pretty spectacular and I love the walker bombs and use of multiplier. John Borg has gone from not being on my radar of favorite designers, to top five status after Tron, IM, MET and TWD. Already owning the first three of these titles, I wonder if adding TWD prem might be too similar

GOT pro is fun, yet is in need of another code update. That might or might not happen, and I'd be happy with GOT pro as-is. Plenty of Steve Ritchie in the current lineup with BK, SM, ACDC but is tables flow. Most Stern’s are two flipper designs - are TWD & GOT two more of the same? How many two flipper Stern games can one's collection contain

THLE is going to be one of Keith’s great ones, but is currently under development. Missing large amounts of code, it has huge potential, but is not at that level yet. Oh and speaking of favorite designers … Keith has been my favorite since TSPP & LOTR. Both those pins have deep rulesets and good games last awhile. TH is in the same category of being deep and long-playing.

Valuewise the choices are fairly even, but I wonder how one pin can be as fun as two. TH has a feel all its own - a shooter's wet dream and the video is mesmerizing. There are so many levels of how well the theme is integrated and nothing else like it.

So would anybody consider making this trade - giving up their THLE + cash or their TWD prem + GOT pro?

#2 3 years ago

I'd much rather have TWD Prem and GOT Pro! If it's a straight up trade I'd jump. I would think you'd have to add about $2k on the Hobbit side to make it work.

#3 3 years ago

Big disparity in value here...

TWD Prem - $6,500
GOT Pro - $4,500
----------------------
Total $11,000

THLE - $8,500

#4 3 years ago

Id ditch TH

#5 3 years ago

Yes, in a heartbeat. GOT pro is awesome and TWDpre is simply greatness, TH was dissapointing, I would rather have even just one of those over TH.

#6 3 years ago

Hell Yes! Not just for the $ value, but because your getting 2 great pins!

#7 3 years ago

This is the easiest decision in the world. Make the trade!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is the easiest decision in the world. Make the trade!

... ok but there is no trade. On a related note, I changed situation to read THLE plus cash. Amount of cash left blank so you could focus on the trade aspect. Assume that is market determined. Would there be interest in a trade in either direction? To some extent it is a question of old vs newer technology with enhanced capabilities - lcd screen, animated head synced to game play.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

... but there is no trade. On a related note, I changed situation to THLE plus cash.

I know. Make the hypothetical trade!

#10 3 years ago

Hypothetically, Keira Knightley has offered to sleep with me. Should I take her up on it?

#11 3 years ago

FAQ no, Not a chance in hell! The Hobbit eats the other twos lunch.

#12 3 years ago

Funny shit ^^^^^ right there!

#13 3 years ago

I would hang on to The Hobbit after I read your comment about Keith being your favorite programmer. You have seen how well he codes his games and already know its just a matter of time before TH is coded just as well as his other games.

TH does something better that neither GOT or TWD do very well and that is excel at theme integration. GOT has uninspiring playfield artwork, so far poor DMD animations, and little speech from characters on the show. TWD lacks character likeness and voice assets from the show completely, neither of which are represented in the games rules / code, and the characters are also missing on the playfield artwork. Both Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are heavy character based shows yet those characters are either poorly represented or not at all in the pinball machines. At least the code is good on both games.

JJP on the otherhand has access to use all character likeness and voices, they are represented on the playfield, in audio, rules, etc. You also have David Thield working on the games audio which includes dozens of tracks from Two Steps From Hell. Combine all of that with Keith's rules, JP's animation work, and not one but two LCD displays in the game and you have one hell of a great pinball machine.

By the time Keith is done coding TH it will be deeper than GOT and TWD combined. Keith is the Jedi Master, the Yoda of pinball programming

#14 3 years ago

Make the trade. No brainier. Th won't be good for a year or two.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

By the time Keith is done coding TH it will be deeper than GOT and TWD combined. Keith is the Jedi Master, the Yoda of pinball programming

Code cannot save TH in my opinion, Keith is good but I would take a Lyman game over one of his anyday, I never got this Keith worship, hes good but theres lots of great programmers.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Code cannot save TH in my opinion, Keith is good but I would take a Lyman game over one of his anyday, I never got this Keith worship, hes good but theres lots of great programmers.

I would not underestimate the power of the Keefer, lol.

Lyman is an amazing pinball programmer but no one is better then Keith at creating progression based rulesets that make the player feel like they are on a quest. Keith has a gift to tell a themes story through his programming.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

... Keith has a gift to tell a themes story through his programming.

He is operating at the same level in TH pinball that Peter Jackson did making TH films. Keith has really good vision of where he wants things to go. Surprised nobody suggested it would be better for both parties to wait until TH code is advanced to 2.0 before any kind of realistic evaluation could take place.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would hang on to The Hobbit after I read your comment about Keith being your favorite programmer. You have seen how well he codes his games and already know its just a matter of time before TH is coded just as well as his other games.
TH does something better that neither GOT or TWD do very well and that is excel at theme integration. GOT has uninspiring playfield artwork, so far poor DMD animations, and little speech from characters on the show. TWD lacks character likeness and voice assets from the show completely, neither of which are represented in the games rules / code, and the characters are also missing on the playfield artwork. Both Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are heavy character based shows yet those characters are either poorly represented or not at all in the pinball machines. At least the code is good on both games.
JJP on the otherhand has access to use all character likeness and voices, they are represented on the playfield, in audio, rules, etc. You also have David Thield working on the games audio which includes dozens of tracks from Two Steps From Hell. Combine all of that with Keith's rules, JP's animation work, and not one but two LCD displays in the game and you have one hell of a great pinball machine.

Well, for once we disagree. TH is eye candy. GOT is an addictive blast to play.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Big disparity in value here...
TWD Prem - $6,500
GOT Pro - $4,500
----------------------
Total $11,000
THLE - $8,500

Yep - I'd then sell TWD and GOT Pro - buy another new Hobbit and pick up some mods for TH or another pin with the remaining $2500!

#20 3 years ago

2 great games trump 1 good game...nothing to see here.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree

#22 3 years ago

You'd be hypothetically crazy not to make that trade.

#23 3 years ago

TWD is Lyman's best coded game to date! Simply majestic. Game has a few design frustrations but overall is a fantastic game.

GOT PRO is sterns best non-Lyman coded game in a very long time and it's not even complete. The design seems simple but it's actually quite flow'tastic and suits the rules to perfection.

TH is something special and has keefer behind the console who we all know is one of, if not the, best programmer alive.

That said, I'm in a similar boat (sort of). Finances are a little scarce for me at the moment but just got a nice promotion so I'm putting together an $8-$9k pinball budget over the next year. I already have GOT PRO; next to it will either be MET/GB/TWD pro + a $3-4k game or 1 JJP game in THLE. I'm leaning towards THLE because I think it's something special, but I also want to wait and see how the code fleshes itself out despite keefer doing it. And, I'm curious what JJP does to address the troll pop up jams and wire form ball hop.

If things don't get better design and code wise for TH, Ill be shifting my decision to the former and get A stern pro + other sub 3-4k game.

So to answer the OPs question, in the current state of all 3 games, I'd go with the 2 sterns as we really don't know where hobbit will end up and already do know where TWD and GOT are for the most part. Also, I'd recommend possibly dummy down the TWD PREM to a pro if $ is an issue. I've owned a prem and feel I'd be just as happy with the smoother gameplay of the pro rather than have walker bombs.

#24 3 years ago

I'd do a RRWOZ plus a little cash in a heartbeat for those two. I know you mentioned hobbit but woz would be a similar question.

#25 3 years ago

No brainer. TWD and GoT are both fantastic games. Fun layouts, great themes, fun unique rulesets. Hobbit? Eh...it's impressive and pretty, I'll give it that. But no amount of rules can make that insanely boring playfield layout fun to shoot. Just my opinion.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I'd do a RRWOZ plus a little cash in a heartbeat for those two. I know you mentioned hobbit but woz would be a similar question.

I'd do my standard WOZ for two Stern Pros no question. I LOVE WOZ, but 2 games > 1 in this case.

#27 3 years ago

I wish I knew what distributors people were getting these deals through. I've called a bunch of the popular distributors on pinside that people mention and they all say the same thing. $4,995 for a Stern Pro and $6,695 for a Premium. So basically $5,000 and $6,700. So the way I see it - $11,700 for TWD Premium and GOT Pro. You can get Hobbit for $8,500 shipped so Hobbit + $3,200 cash. So this scenario isn't really all that accurate, the Hobbit doesn't really equal both of these pins in value, not by a long shot. Really TWD Premium itself is only $1,800 cheaper than Hobbit.

#28 3 years ago

I think the values were based on selling HUO used games. I think Hobbit holds its value better, while the Sterns drop in value once you drive em off the lot.

Value aside I would take GoT and TWD.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Hypothetically, Keira Knightley has offered to sleep with me. Should I take her up on it?

You have to ask?!?
Pull the trigger on the trade & KK.

#30 3 years ago

Seems like a no -brainer...

You have on one side, games that are good NOW vs the HOPE of the other BECOMING Good.... hopefully... maybe.

Grab TWD+GoT, play the shit out of them for a year ro 2, then trade for TH in a couple years when JJP has their QC straightened out and the code is mature....

Or, swap out TWD for GB and never look back

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 88.00
$ 235.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside