Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 6S3NC3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Nice post Pinballcorpse!

#52 11 years ago

It's apples and oranges so it depends on what you're after and/or what need you want to fill in your collection.

LOTR is like playing chess.

TFLE is like playing tennis.

If you want a pin that you can put in a few quick games on when you go downstairs to grab a beer from the fridge, take a TFLE hooked up to a 12" external sub. Fast play, shooter's pin, and intense sound effects. Everyone in the house will know you're playing it. It'll kick your butt before the beer gets warm which I find to be quite the rush.

On the other hand, if you want to grab a barstool, put your beer into your Pingulp, and challenge the table for (what feels like) a good long time, then you want to sidle on up to your LOTR and have some fun. Like pinballcorpse wrote, it's all about the progression in LOTR and when you have a great game it's totally a rush too.

cheers

#53 11 years ago

I prefer LOTR for game play but, TFLE is worth more. So, it depends on what you in it for play or value.

#54 11 years ago

I love them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#55 11 years ago

Not in a million years.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Battle of Cybertron is like Destroy the Ring end of game before wizard mode.
Wizard mode I'm not sure anyone has gotten to it in TF.
We are off topic and since I do not have wizard mode experience in TF or been to Valinor in LOTR I am only qualified to comment on the games as I've played them with my skill
And damn you smokedog now I want to play LOTR again
I will make a new statement to defend
TSPP has the best Wizard mode ever

I did it.

#57 11 years ago

Standard LOTR for TFLE? That's a no-brainer - do it!

#58 11 years ago

No, I wouldn't. Unless I was receiving the LOTR, then probably. TF is a good pin. LOTR is an epic pin. Also remember, I don't state opinions, I state facts. Sorry I took so long to respond.

#59 11 years ago

I don't care to much about value. I care about gameplay and lastibility. And need something that the kids, newbies and myself can enjoy.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

need something that the kids, newbies and myself can enjoy.

Having been a pin freak for so long, it is hard to understand which would be better for the WHOLE group, but I have to go with TF

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Also remember, I don't state opinions, I state facts

um...I WAS kidding.

#61 11 years ago

If you like TF, then go for it. It sounds like its what you want to do and that you aren't as into LOTR like some others.

#62 11 years ago

I have owned LOTR for quite some time. Sold every pin I owned when I needed money going through a divorce. Im a huge fan of the game. TZ went TAF went and others went.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Battle of Cybertron is like Destroy the Ring end of game before wizard mode.
Wizard mode I'm not sure anyone has gotten to it in TF.
We are off topic and since I do not have wizard mode experience in TF or been to Valinor in LOTR I am only qualified to comment on the games as I've played them with my skill
And damn you smokedog now I want to play LOTR again
I will make a new statement to defend
TSPP has the best Wizard mode ever

I dunno. The Keefer Invitational (WPT) may be totally kick-ass. I've never gotten close to it, and haven't seen any reports on it. Also, speculative as it is, WOZ may raise the bar still. Keefer has indicated it would break new ground...

#64 11 years ago

They're both Gomez fan layouts, but physically I think TFLE is more brutal. I've played on three TFLE's and certain shots across the board seem much more unforgiving when screwed up than shots on LOTR. 1)Optimus. 2)Lock drop down. 3)Missing Megatron and smacking those targets. The outlanes seem much more brutal than the LOTR's I play on (TFLE supposedly had no outlane rubbers...every LOTR I've played had them). Even Megatron returning a ball back into play is pretty damned risky, even with ball save.

When I think of dangerous shots on LOTR, I can only think of the Gollum hole or trying to cross flipper shot the Sword lock (maybe Ring shot if the flippers and magnet are weak). Maybe I am alone (and crazy), but bad drains on TFLE seem to be quick. A bad shot to a risky shot on TFLE sends the ball screaming. A bad shot on a risky shot on LOTR tends to float. I tilt LOTR a LOT more than I do TFLE. I think a lot of it has to do with the time spent seeing the ball going to a bad spot and reacting.

Would *I* make the trade. I dunno. They're both good examples of the Gomez fan layout. I'd have to be bored of LOTR. If I had cash in hand to buy one or the other, I'd go TFLE...because I *am* slightly bored of LOTR after all this time playing it on route.

Excellent write up by corpse btw.

2 cents.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I don't care to much about value. I care about gameplay and lastibility. And need something that the kids, newbies and myself can enjoy.

Going on that I would say TF.

On the other hand, TF feels like something you could play seriously or just something while shooting the breeze with your buds over a drink. LOTR is probably a game you would rather play by yourself. I do feel LOTR does the theme justice better than TF. TF feels more generic, where LOTR feels like the modes and MBs really pull you in to the story. Maybe it's something Keith Johnson just does well, as I feel TSPP does the same.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

On the other hand, TF feels like something you could play seriously or just something while shooting the breeze with your buds over a drink. LOTR is probably a game you would rather play by yourself. I do feel LOTR does the theme justice better than TF. TF feels more generic, where LOTR feels like the modes and MBs really pull you in to the story. Maybe it's something Keith Johnson just does well, as I feel TSPP does the same.

I play LOTR sometimes with 3 others... alot. Im the only one that has long ball times. Once in a with my GF can get a big score but few and far between. Its a great game and I always told my self I would not ever part with it. It has lasted many years and we have been through alot. Its the best Pin that I have ever owned. Im thinking if i do trade it im going to kick my self like some others have done. So now im thinking it I trade it im going to use it as bait for something big.

#67 11 years ago

No......

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I play LOTR sometimes with 3 others... alot. Im the only one that has long ball times. Once in a with my GF can get a big score but few and far between. Its a great game and I always told my self I would not ever part with it. It has lasted many years and we have been through alot. Its the best Pin that I have ever owned. Im thinking if i do trade it im going to kick my self like some others have done. So now im thinking it I trade it im going to use it as bait for something big.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I've played it with others as well, but I'm usually the only one ever playing that understands the rules and actually plays pinball on a regular basis when I play with others. I could imagine playing a 4 player game with people that are really good could be a bit draining while standing around for 15 mins or so while the other 3 people play.

I'm not saying make the trade, like I said I prefer LOTR over TFLE myself. I would actually try to find another way to get TF if you really want it.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

In a Heart Beat !!!!!! I'd trade LOTR for Anything ... Never could get into it . Owned it Twice too

I checked you rating on lotr, man u did not like it scoring it a 6. But it looks like you did not like TS, MM, or TSPP either scoring them at 5.

Its interesting to see what machines people like. I use the rating system like grades so 5 is flunking. I don't know if I have played a game that is flunking...hmmm have to think about that.

#70 11 years ago

BK2K is somthing that I just hated to play. Feels like crap and I just cant stand the split PF. This is the lowest game I have ever rated. Runner up by IJ. I just dont get y people like that game. It does nothing for me in any way. I still would get one bc its pinball. I also dont like any game where the ball speed is "slow". I loose focus to quick.

#71 11 years ago

After rereading this the facts are TFLE is a great game and LOTR many consider superior. There were so many LOTR's produced that worst case is you regret the trade sell TFLE for $5K and find another LOTR.

If LOTR were a hard game to find then I think you'd be better off keeping it. Since it is not my advise would be to trade it, play TFLE for a bit and if you tire of it keep an eye out for another LOTR.

It seems to reason that TFLE is 5K and LOTR varies between 3.5 HUO low end and $5k so you would stand to be in a better position if you eventually sold TFLE and bought another LOTR.

#72 11 years ago

I would not pay 5K for a HUO TFLE. I could of got a NIB for $5150 2 weeks ago and passed on it. My LOTR is not worth 5K also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-trade-lotr-for-tf-le/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.