7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 6S3NC3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Thinking about trading my LOTR for a TF LE. Im on the fence about this. Since I picked up Tron I have not played my LOTR much. I have owned the game for a long time and played LOTR to death. I still love the game and it is the only game I have kept for this long. This is 3x longer then any other game I have owned. Just wondering what some of you guys think about this. I know TF gets a bad rap from a good amout of pinheads but im big on the TF theme. I have not had alot of time on TF and thats the reason I have not rated it as of yet and looking for some advice.

#2 7 years ago

Hey, it's your funeral pal!

#4 7 years ago

No chance, there are MANY better newer sterns than TF.

#5 7 years ago

Might be biased since I've only had my LotR for about 3 weeks, but not a chance. Like, no chance, ever.

But, if you are bored with it, I'm sure you can get what you want for it. Then, down the road, when you are bored with TF:LE, you'll be able to trade it away + cash for a LotR!

#6 7 years ago

Nope..............................uhhhhh no. Not really nope.

#7 7 years ago

Value wise, it's a good trade if it's straight across. TFLE is pretty fun. Probably not a life long keeper though but decent sound effects and flow. Great with sub and shaker. And the same game can't be fun forever so you're probably ready for a change from your lotr.

#8 7 years ago

Never in a million years!

#9 7 years ago

If you haven't played it yet, I would suggest doing that if you can. I own both machines, LOTR and TFLE, and I would probably lean towards LOTR long term at this point. I still play TFLE a lot more than LOTR for now, but it's my newest machine so you know how that goes.

#10 7 years ago

I would not, but both games are fun, LOTR IMO is a much more polished game.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ctozzi:

I would not, but both games are fun, LOTR IMO is a much more polished game.

But MM > LOTR

ROFL

#12 7 years ago

Maybe for a SM.....

#13 7 years ago

have them both...and lotr is not going anywhere...but neither is my tf...
LOTR>TF....otherwise

#14 7 years ago

goood gravy no

#15 7 years ago

No, I would not do it.

#16 7 years ago

In a Heart Beat !!!!!! I'd trade LOTR for Anything ... Never could get into it . Owned it Twice too

#17 7 years ago

Yes

If your sick of LOTR based on value TF LE is $5100.00

I like Transformers quite a bit. I loved LOTR, but after a year with it I just got sick of it. TFLE is a much deeper game.

#18 7 years ago

I think you should trade your LOTR for my beat up Space Shuttle.

#19 7 years ago

same here, I'm looking to sell or trade my LOTR, can't get into it :s

I really enjoyed TF and don't mind trading my LOTR for TF LE, if you are done with your game, guess its time for new owner to enjoy

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

TFLE is a much deeper game.

WTF? Really? Is it deeper than tSPP as well?

How do you figure that one? I'd love to see a defense of that position.

#21 7 years ago

Do it.

#22 7 years ago

No way. If anything, a regular TF would be a better value if you want that game; what the LE adds isn't worth a fraction of the increased price. And the regular version flows better imo. That said, LOTR is a keeper: great for casual players, incredible flow and speed when you're locked in, and the modes/depth are killer. Yeah, they may not seem as cool when you get to know them well and they're familiar, but the broad and deep progress blows TF away in that sense. You'll miss LOTR after a while if you trade it, and will regret the price you have to pay later to get a nice one again.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

WTF? Really? Is it deeper than tSPP as well?

How do you figure that one? I'd love to see a defense of that position.

Really,

There are 12 modes to beat before you get to the battle of cybertron plus 4 multiball modes. Each mode requires you make something like 10-12 shots. Its like beating the crate in scared stiff 12 times. I cannot do it. I can get halfway there. No clue how you beat cybertron or about a wizard mode. Defeating Prime or Megatron is sickening hard.

LOTR you have 3 multiball modes to complete each with a multiball and 6 modes activated by the center shot. These are very easy to get through. Then LOTR requires you to make specific shots to destroy the ring. Way cool then wizard mode on there and back again.

LOTR is a better game though if you are tired of it Transformers LE is a decent replacement. I can beat LOTR in about 35 minutes on Transformers I've gotten half done at the 35 minute mark.

I do miss LOTR, but once I play it again I loose interest in owning another one. LOTR does not sell for $5100.00 more like $4500 HUO.

#24 7 years ago

TFLE for me all day long

#25 7 years ago

There are tons of LOTR's out there and I believe has the highest production numbers for a Stern game. You should enjoy your games and if you sick of LOTR then change up the lineup. Get the TF and if you don't like it sell it and get another LOTR. I would get the TF LE over a Pro. The mini PF might not be the best, but the flow is better with the extra gate in the back. The pro does has better ramp flow, but just looks like it's missing something and you can tell they stripped it down.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Really,

There are 12 modes to beat before you get to the battle of cybertron plus 4 multiball modes. Each mode requires you make something like 10-12 shots. Its like beating the crate in Scared Stiff 12 times. I cannot do it. I can get halfway there. No clue how you beat cybertron or about a wizard mode. Defeating Prime or Megatron is sickening hard.

LOTR you have 3 multiball modes to complete each with a multiball and 6 modes activated by the center shot. These are very easy to get through. Then LOTR requires you to make specific shots to destroy the ring. Way cool then wizard more on there and back again.

LOTR is a better game though if you are tired of it Transformers LE is a decent replacement. I can beat LOTR in about 35 minutes

You beat Valinor in 35 minutes? Wow. That is ... impossible?

You forgot Gollum multi and Ring Multi in your multiball count. Plus a bunch of other stuff that will take too long for me to type. I could get the link to the rule sheet for you if you like.

You found completing the multiball modes easy in LotR? You found completing TABA easy? And you beat Valinor?

Wow, I either really stink, or you are really, really, I mean Bowen/Lyman/Robert/name your top ten player in the world good.

#27 7 years ago

I have not beaten There and Back again.

I stand corrected on Gollum Multi ball and ring multi.

I have destroyed the ring in less than 40 minutes maybe less than 30.

To be fair I had replay give extra balls as well

I'm not great by any means though if you play a game enough you can make the shots and get to Destroy the Ring in less than 30 minutes.

#28 7 years ago

Destroy the ring is not the end of the game sir.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

Destroy the ring is not the end of the game sir.

In my context or world I was comparing Transformers Battle of Cybertron with LOTR Destroy the Ring

Thats all it was. I completely excluded wizard mode which there and back again I believe is considered.

#30 7 years ago

It's strange how country's (or continents) can differ. Here in Belgium (also Holland an Germany)
Tron LE doesn't sell more then around 5000 euro (6300 dollar), but TF LE (combo) goes already for the same price as it was sold NIB at the beginning. This is around 6000 euro (7500 dollar).

Tron LE was 5700 euro NIB (7150 dollar)

#31 7 years ago

No way would I make this trade.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

In my context or world I was comparing Transformers Battle of Cybertron with LOTR Destroy the Ring

The difficulty is worlds apart. I reached "destroy the ring" many times, the first time was after 20 games or so. But i have yet to reach "Battle for cybertron"

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I completely excluded wizard mode which there and back again I believe is considered.

Actually Valinor is the Wizard mode. DTR and TABA precede it.

#34 7 years ago

No. And as others have pointed out destroying the ring is not the end of the game/modes in LOTR there is much more there.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from goodgameslover:

The difficulty is worlds apart. I reached "destroy the ring" many times, the first time was after 20 games or so. But i have yet to reach "Battle for cybertron" []

- Thanks for clearing this up as it was what I meant to say.

#36 7 years ago

nooooooo!!! never!!

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Thats all it was. I completely excluded wizard mode which there and back again I believe is considered.

But, Battle for Cybertron is the wizard mode in TF, correct?

Quoted from goodgameslover:

The difficulty is worlds apart. I reached "destroy the ring" many times, the first time was after 20 games or so. But i have yet to reach "Battle for cybertron"

How many times have you reached Valinor?

Like, if we are going to compare wizard modes to wizard modes, why dont we?

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I have destroyed the ring in less than 40 minutes maybe less than 30.

This is only part of the game man. And I can get to DTR in way less time than 40 min if that was my goal. You dont have to beat anything to get there. Just start everything.

Not 1 mode in LOTR feels similar to the next. They are all SO different and play different. This is y I have a hard time getting rid of it. Completing a mode is very satisfying especially with the "Gift From the Elves". Most pins just give you a larger bonus for beating a mode. This is still satisfying but who does not like getting a gift on top of it?

I will not be trading my LOTR for something that will not fill its shoes gameplay wise. This is my fear with TF LE and the reason I started this. I also dont want a game that will make me hit 100 shots just to progress through the game or mode and then make me do it 200 times. I dont like the "GRIND" that some Pins have. LOTR to me, never feels like a grind. It feels more like a quest and I like that.

#39 7 years ago

Battle of Cybertron is like Destroy the Ring end of game before wizard mode.

Wizard mode I'm not sure anyone has gotten to it in TF.

We are off topic and since I do not have wizard mode experience in TF or been to Valinor in LOTR I am only qualified to comment on the games as I've played them with my skill

And damn you smokedog now I want to play LOTR again

I will make a new statement to defend

TSPP has the best Wizard mode ever

#40 7 years ago

I own both. I don't want either of them to go. But if I had to choose, TFLE would stay and LoTR would go. The two biggest reasons are i have had LoTR for 6 years and TFLE for 6 mos. and, TFLE is faster so it keeps my attention span more than LoTR. However, if you ask me this question in two years, I will probably keep LoTR and scratch TFLE. LoTR is a classic in every which way. If your into games in the short term, go with TFLE. If your into games for the long term, go LoTR.

#41 7 years ago

Quoting from pinball news:

"Once the Battle for Cybertron wizard mode is over, all the characters on the feature grid are unlit and you're effectively back at the start of the game, only with a slightly higher base value for each mode and a whole heap of points to your credit."

Battle is the final mode in TF. Valinor is the final mode in LotR.

I really think you should go check out the rule sheet for LotR. It will make you want to play it again for sure!

Edited to add: And I'm pretty sure you will change your opinion on which is deeper. They don't say LotR is the second deepest game behind tSPP for nothing. Keefer's the man!

#42 7 years ago

Keep LOTR

I got rid of mine for something fresh and new.

I have regrets though want to own Iron Man, Batman TDK before I think about getting LOTR a second time

If I ever get rid of TF LE I doubt I would ever own it again.

I prefer Borg and Ritchie to Gomez games anyway. I do love Johnny M more than I liked LOTR

Its all taste and my taste are currently more flow and less stop and go.

I'm in the same boat as well being biased by a new game I've had for all of 1 month over a classic.

#43 7 years ago

Rumors are that an update is coming for TF. Might want to see how that pans out first.

#44 7 years ago

Ideal solution is to do a temporary trade, say 4-6 months. Then there are no regrets, and when you get LOTR back it'll feel new again.

#45 7 years ago

I would do it Love TF I had two LOTR sold both the ball times are to long and when more than one person is playing it just take way to long

#46 7 years ago

This is a long read, but I really enjoy these discussions.

The short answer is they are both good games, and BOTH ARE GRINDS to reach the main prize (wizard mode). I enjoy them both, but they can be brutal to get through.

The wizard mode (Valinor) in LOTR is hard to reach as is Cybertron in TFLE. I own both games, have been to Valinor several times, Sentinel Prime several times as both factions, but not Cybertron, so I cannot comment on Cybertron-but I know what needs to be done.

I'll discuss my observations on the 2 games.

There are a couple of key points in the gameplay; one is the amount of extra balls available to reach the wizard modes and the other is the "no progression" argument.

First off there are many more opportunities to earn an extra ball on LOTR than TFLE. This, to me, makes the goal of the wizard mode a bit more obtainable on LOTR.

Comparing the 2 games: (I think I have them all listed)

LOTR allows you to reach 10 extra balls max and these are the ones I know of:

(2) Extra balls from the tower

Extra ball as a mystery award

Extra ball from the elf gifts

Extra ball from ring frenzy

Extra ball from super ring frenzy

Extra ball from ring multiball

Extra ball getting all gifts done and relighting extra ball

In TFLE, there are 3 ebs on factory-

5 modes played (and only once, not every 5 modes)

Starscream target 3 times during hurry up.

Mystery (I have yet to see it as a mystery)

So, I set Iron Hide Special = Extra Ball which is not factory, but given the difficulty of the pin and lack of extra balls I think this is justified. It still only allows for 4 extra balls MAX w/o resorting to scoring tiers. That is a big difference in the games.

The next issue involves progression.

As much as TFLE is slammed on for "no multiball progression", both games suffer from "lack of progression", but it is presented differently.

In LOTR, if you have not achieved all of the subgoals for Valinor once you reach DTR, you must go back and collect the subgoals which includes qualifying/playing the 3 multiballs all over even if you have won them already. (No need to win them again unless you need more gifts for example).

If you have a miracle game you can DTR just once before Valinor. Tough, but it can be done. So you can get into a long loop of reach DTR w/o having everything done, go back, do it again and so on. Even if you have everything done but DTR, if you fail to win DTR and have balls in play, go back to square one to play the multiballs and they are now more difficult to start except ROTK which becomes easier thanks to the additional souls from the shire. So on your journey to Valinor, you don't leave off from a DTR session with just what you need; you go back and do all the mbs again and collect what you need. Lots of work.

And to add to this, even if you won DTR earlier, you still need to win it as the LAST thing you do. IMO, that ruleset constitutes a grind to reach the wizard mode.

If Valinor is NOT your primary goal, then you can argue you have other things to do in LOTR. This is where TFLE's gameplay is much different.

In TFLE you can get stuck on one multiball over and over and fall one shot short and need to do it all over again forever. Most people struggle with Optimus Prime playing as an Autobot-it is the hardest to win out of the 4 multiballs (2 for each faction depending on how you started). Once you get past that SJP hurdle you are sitting much better, but your journey is not a gimme. The modes are all easy to start, 4 shots and off you go. Finishing the modes is a bit trickier because of the time issue. Most modes will probably require 2 trips through. The Allspark time extension will be handy.

So for the multiballs, playing as a Decepticon is the easier method-experience will prove this to be true for most players. But all in all, most people will fall short on finishing the multiballs regardless of which faction they play. This is where people demand multiball progression. I think it is fine either way. If they could add it, I say go for it. I don't think Sentinel Prime and Cybertron become too easy because of the progression.

Therefore it is clear both games have some variation of "no progression"

While both games have variations of the "go back to square one" rules, the fundamental difference is that in LOTR you can keep playing through the modes and multiballs over and over. In TFLE, you can theoretically run into a case where all that is left to do is the multiball for your side.

Once that is the case in TFLE, there are no other modes to play and you cannot make progress towards SP or Cybertron before earning the SJP for your side. This is what has been referred to as "The Roadblock". However, it has always been my position that if a player is skilled enough to run into that situation of all modes won w/o the SJP over and over, they are skilled enough to win the multiball. So again, I think the roadblock is a complaint not carrying much weight. The player has demonstrated they have the skill, so they should not be perpetually stuck. Just give it time. Same thing with Valinor. It will eventually come.

In summary Valinor and Cybertron are very involved goals and require many shots to finish.

Would I trade LOTR for TFLE-only if I knew I was tired of LOTR since it is not an easily mastered game. In my case, I own both and am keeping both.

Thanks for reading

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

This is a long read, but I really enjoy these discussions.
The short answer is they are both good games, and BOTH ARE GRINDS to reach the main prize (wizard mode). I enjoy them both, but they can be brutal to get through.
The wizard mode (Valinor) in LOTR is hard to reach as is Cybertron in TFLE. I own both games, have been to Valinor several times, Sentinel Prime several times as both factions, but not Cybertron, so I cannot comment on Cybertron-but I know what needs to be done.
I'll discuss my observations on the 2 games.
There are a couple of key points in the gameplay; one is the amount of extra balls available to reach the wizard modes and the other is the "no progression" argument.
First off there are many more opportunities to earn an extra ball on LOTR than TFLE. This, to me, makes the goal of the wizard mode a bit more obtainable on LOTR.
Comparing the 2 games: (I think I have them all listed)
LOTR allows you to reach 10 extra balls max and these are the ones I know of:
(2) Extra balls from the tower
Extra ball as a mystery award
Extra ball from the elf gifts
Extra ball from ring frenzy
Extra ball from super ring frenzy
Extra ball from ring multiball
Extra ball getting all gifts done and relighting extra ball
In TFLE, there are 3 ebs on factory-
5 modes played (and only once, not every 5 modes)
Starscream target 3 times during hurry up.
Mystery (I have yet to see it as a mystery)
So, I set Iron Hide Special = Extra Ball which is not factory, but given the difficulty of the pin and lack of extra balls I think this is justified. It still only allows for 4 extra balls MAX w/o resorting to scoring tiers. That is a big difference in the games.
The next issue involves progression.
As much as TFLE is slammed on for "no multiball progression", both games suffer from "lack of progression", but it is presented differently.
In LOTR, if you have not achieved all of the subgoals for Valinor once you reach DTR, you must go back and collect the subgoals which includes qualifying/playing the 3 multiballs all over even if you have won them already. (No need to win them again unless you need more gifts for example).
If you have a miracle game you can DTR just once before Valinor. Tough, but it can be done. So you can get into a long loop of reach DTR w/o having everything done, go back, do it again and so on. Even if you have everything done but DTR, if you fail to win DTR and have balls in play, go back to square one to play the multiballs and they are now more difficult to start except ROTK which becomes easier thanks to the additional souls from the shire. So on your journey to Valinor, you don't leave off from a DTR session with just what you need; you go back and do all the mbs again and collect what you need. Lots of work.
And to add to this, even if you won DTR earlier, you still need to http://www.youtube.com/embed/vkaUNI05jEk?autoplay=1&rel=0 it as the LAST thing you do. IMO, that ruleset constitutes a grind to reach the wizard mode.
If Valinor is NOT your primary goal, then you can argue you have other things to do in LOTR. This is where TFLE's gameplay is much different.
In TFLE you can get stuck on one multiball over and over and fall one shot short and need to do it all over again forever. Most people struggle with Optimus Prime playing as an Autobot-it is the hardest to win out of the 4 multiballs (2 for each faction depending on how you started). Once you get past that SJP hurdle you are sitting much better, but your journey is not a gimme. The modes are all easy to start, 4 shots and off you go. Finishing the modes is a bit trickier because of the time issue. Most modes will probably require 2 trips through. The Allspark time extension will be handy.
So for the multiballs, playing as a Decepticon is the easier method-experience will prove this to be true for most players. But all in all, most people will fall short on finishing the multiballs regardless of which faction they play. This is where people demand multiball progression. I think it is fine either way. If they could add it, I say go for it. I don't think Sentinel Prime and Cybertron become too easy because of the progression.
Therefore it is clear both games have some variation of "no progression"
While both games have variations of the "go back to square one" rules, the fundamental difference is that in LOTR you can keep playing through the modes and multiballs over and over. In TFLE, you can theoretically run into a case where all that is left to do is the multiball for your side.
Once that is the case in TFLE, there are no other modes to play and you cannot make progress towards SP or Cybertron before earning the SJP for your side. This is what has been referred to as "The Roadblock". However, it has always been my position that if a player is skilled enough to run into that situation of all modes won w/o the SJP over and over, they are skilled enough to win the multiball. So again, I think the roadblock is a complaint not carrying much weight. The player has demonstrated they have the skill, so they should not be perpetually stuck. Just give it time. Same thing with Valinor. It will eventually come.
In summary Valinor and Cybertron are very involved goals and require many shots to finish.
Would I trade LOTR for TFLE-only if I knew I was tired of LOTR since it is not an easily mastered game. In my case, I own both and am keeping both.
Thanks for reading

Great post. Think you covered all the key differences. I own both and would agree with this post.

#48 7 years ago

EXCELLENT sumation pinballcorpse!!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

goodgameslover said:

How many times have you reached Valinor?

Like, if we are going to compare wizard modes to wizard modes, why dont we?

Actually not once.

I just wanted to point out that comparing the two, is futile.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

In TFLE you can get stuck on one multiball over and over and fall one shot short and need to do it all over again forever. Most people struggle with Optimus Prime playing as an Autobot-it is the hardest to win out of the 4 multiballs (2 for each faction depending on how you started). Once you get past that SJP hurdle you are sitting much better, but your journey is not a gimme.

Thats one thing I love about LOTR. You cant get stuck. I have a lot of newbies playing at my house and TF may frustrate many bc of this. Where my LOTR will not bc even tho the dont complete a MB or mode they can still get to DTR and thats good for them. Then on the flip side for me and the few experienced players we strive to get TABA and Valinor. Having to DTR 3 times can become a grind but that bc we did not complete things the first time around. As far as LOTR MB you start where you left off and not from the beginning like TF's. So if i cross 5 fellowship members, when I restart the FMB I will continue from there. Just wish TF was like that bc getting "road blocked" sucks and will turn people off.

But im still on the fence about this or may look at different trades. Or maybe just keep my LOTR bc i know i will regret it when its gone. Ugh decisions decisions.

EDIT: Great write up pinballcorpse

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside