(Topic ID: 48860)

Would you trade a Tron LE for Metallica LE?

By Pinball-Wiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pinstor12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you trade a Tron LE for a Metallica Master of Puppets LE?”

• Yes! 35 votes
    23%
  • No! 70 votes
    46%
  • You can't be serious! 46 votes
    30%

(151 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I'm taking it that the votes for "yes" are the guys with Metallica LE's on order?

Absolutely!! Let's see... TRON LE game play is great. METLE game play is unknown. Looks nice, but who knows. I will say that the inline targets are nice!!!!

#52 10 years ago

tron 169 says no

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

If its a hit you could turn your $8500 TRON LE into a $12k NIB... roll the dice!

Or if it flops, you could turn it into a $6K NIB like HulkLE. You gotta ask yourself. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk! I still think at this point in the game waiting to play it and getting a Premium is the way to go. The LE boat has sailed... You don't play the art package.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

It depends... if you had a TRON LE with no mods and 1000 plays it might be best to trade it for a NIB MoPLE with a ton of upside. The MoP's are selling for $8500-$8800 right now and no one's ever played it! If its a hit you could turn your $8500 TRON LE into a $12k NIB... roll the dice!

This is truly a gamble. What is Stern's ratio of hits to misses these days, specifically for LE games?

Avengers--miss
XMen--miss
ACDC--hit
Transformers--miss
Tron--hit
Rolling Stones--miss

Now, we could debate on whether or not Avengers and XMen will get better with newer code, maybe even include Transformers in that discussion. Aside from that unknown, all of these LE games except for ACDC and Tron haven't been good enough to even hold their price point. Whether or not you like them is beside the point for this discussion, have they shown any appreciation? That answer is no.

Why would anyone want to take the chance on Metallica LE or any unknown game, when Stern has this kind of a track record?

Disclosure: I own four of the above LE games, two of the hits and two of the misses. That said, I decided to wait on Metallica. If it is a great game, I can always buy a premium.

#55 10 years ago

I was just thinking about what LE models had gameplay differences and no Premium model. I was a bit surprised by the numbers made of each model:

The Rolling Stones LE 350
Tron LE 400
Transformers LE 750
X-Men LE 550

Of these games I don't know which one have bigger gameplay differences than others. I can't really remember much on Avatar except for the power ball. All the other things I remember were more cosmetic than gameplay (coffin opened, mech stomped a little more). The Stones had power ball, an extra song, magnets under the playfield and the save posts. That seem like quite a bit of changes gameplay wise. Tron had drop targets and an extra mode. Transformers seemed to have the most differences. Both upper corners are different and the drop target in front of the scoop. X-Men has the Nightcrawlers, spinning disc and moving ramp.

It looks like Transformers taught them a bit of a lesson on how many LEs to make. I wouldn't have thought that 750 was a crazy high amount since there was no premium, but since they are still readily available from distributors....I would say they over estimated. I'm also guessing X-Men got 550 instead of the originally planned 500 just to entice more people to buy Magneto versions (make Mags more rare to make it more desirable).

Anyway....in summary. I would consider Tron LE a bigger grab over Metallica LE because of the lower numbers and the fact that it had no premium. Having said that...I would take a Metallica pro over an Avatar LE.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I sincerely hate all the price speculation involved with every new release nowadays. It seems to make the hobby more about a pins value and less about how much fun you have playing it. Forget about price it's about which pin you would enjoy having the most in the collection. At least thats how I look at it.
This question can not be answered without first playing Metallica let alone seeing video of gameplay.

Well said. This started about a year or two ago and it is ruining pinball for many. Don't be surprised if we've seen the peak of interest in the hobby as a result. Kind of reminds me of the dot coms... inflated speculative values that couldn't be sustained.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The LE boat has sailed... You don't play the art package.

The LE boat is just beginning... the fact that "you don't play the art package" means nothing to the collectors. With them its LE or nothing.

20k by Christmas.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

That said, I decided to wait on Metallica. If it is a great game, I can always buy a premium.

Your last sentence is the key and a wise move. There isn't any game play difference so why pay the extra cash that people are already asking for before it's even released!!

#59 10 years ago

Tell us again how many you have?

Quoted from teekee:

The LE boat is just beginning... the fact that "you don't play the art package" means nothing to the collectors. With them its LE or nothing.
20k by Christmas.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Tell us again how many you have?

#62 10 years ago

are we comparing a great pin with a pin that nobody even seen a video?
hmmm.....

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Well said. This started about a year or two ago and it is ruining pinball for many. Don't be surprised if we've seen the peak of interest in the hobby as a result. Kind of reminds me of the dot coms... inflated speculative values that couldn't be sustained.

i own 3 LE's and just trying to understand your POV. thxs

so u're saying limited editions work to inflate the value of the all the machines and therefore knock out the common man who wants to get into owning a machine but can't afford it....? I'm new to pinball, not a distrib obviously Are LE's disliked by distrib's? or do they help create buzz and drive more sales into premiums/pros, etc? Isn't creating excitement good for pinball?

my feeling is by creating LE's, Stern is helping me maintain a higher resale value. That's really why I own 3. Easier to unload if the zombies attack.

I don't think pinball has peaked unless they build crappy un-creative machines. Hulk, although flawed, was a positive shot for pinball. Unique machine which is what I collect.

1 week later
#64 10 years ago

some guys understand it, some guys dont get it, some guys can afford it, some guys just whine about it, some guys look ahead, some guys never left 3 years ago.

That should about cover the bulk of pinball pricing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.00
7,600 (OBO)
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-trade-a-tron-le-for-metallica-le/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.