(Topic ID: 185969)

Would you trade a pristine restored TOTAN for a Indiana Jones?

By zr11990

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zr11990
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2205 (resized).JPG
IMG_2204 (resized).JPG
IMG_2203 (resized).JPG
IMG_2202 (resized).JPG
IMG_2201 (resized).JPG
IMG_3354 (resized).JPG
IMG_3353 (resized).JPG
IMG_3352 (resized).JPG
IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
IMG_3350 (resized).JPG
IMG_3349 (resized).JPG
IMG_3348 (resized).JPG
IMG_3344 (resized).JPG
IMG_3338 (resized).JPG
IMG_3337 (resized).JPG
IMG_3335 (resized).JPG
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I bought a restored, by whom I don't know, TOTAN that looks new in every way but I never play it. I am wanting a IJ but I cant append the money right now. Should I offer to trade the TOTAN for a IJ? Would anyone here do that trade? I can get pics if anyone is interested.

#2 7 years ago

I have owned both. IJ is probably one of the best looking pins out there. For me TOTAN is a lot more fun to play.

I think IJ has an edge on value over TOTAN these days.

If I was forced to just have one of the pins, I still would ask for the TOTAN though. Play > Looks for me

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I have owned both. IJ is probably one of the best looking pins out there. For me TOTAN is a lot more fun to play.
If I was forced to just have one of the pins, I still would ask for the TOTAN though. Play > Looks for me

I feel almost the exact opposite. I find TOTAN to be absolutely gorgeous, but prefer the gameplay of IJ.

#4 7 years ago

Totan is worth 2k more all day. Sell it if you dont play it and buy a ij and pocket the rest for a raining day.

#5 7 years ago

I paid 8k for the TOTAN as it looks brand new. I also have a CPR PF.

#6 7 years ago

For what it's worth, those two seem to hammer around the same price at local auctions. At last auction here TOTAN "sold" for $5000, IJ went for $4800 (before ~27% auction fees and taxes).

#7 7 years ago

Price difference aside, I would surely ditch Totan for IJ. That part is a no brainer.

#8 7 years ago

Letting go of pins are tough. I had a similar issue when I let go of my TOM. At the end of the day, you are sitting on a pin that you aren't playing and there is another pin that you really want. If that TOTAN is as pristine as you say...make sure you wind up with extra money on your end if the IJ is in players shape (faded cabinet, etc).

#9 7 years ago

IJ is a better player that TOTAN is, but it's pretty intimidating to casuals. I loved my IJ, but nobody but me played it. It sucked to let it go, but I was really limited on space back then.

TOTAN is fun for a while, but it's pretty simple. It's cool to have for a bit, but generally won't last long in a small collection.

#10 7 years ago

I prefer IJ over TOTAN on gameplay, theme music and think TOTAN is better looking.

#11 7 years ago

What many have said: TOTAN is gorgeous but gets old. IJ is fun as hell...and good luck getting to ELMB.

#12 7 years ago

I've owned both (super nice all brass TOTAN and a player's condition IJ) and both are gone. Don't miss either of them. Much better options out there in my opinion. Heck, sell TOTAN and get a new AFMr-LE. One of the best games ever made and brand spanking new with a monitor. Heck, I'm toying with selling my very nice original AFM and getting the remake LE. I know that is nearly blasphemy on Pinside but the thought has crossed my mind.

#13 7 years ago

Do it.jpgDo it.jpg

#14 7 years ago

I had a beautiful AFM that was HUO that I paid 1800 for years. It got to the point that I could get to RTU pretty easily even on hard settings so I sold it and bought a CC.

#15 7 years ago

IJ all day!!!!

#16 7 years ago

I'm going to post the pics and let you guys tell me what you think.

IMG_2184 (resized).JPGIMG_2184 (resized).JPG

IMG_2185 (resized).JPGIMG_2185 (resized).JPG

IMG_2186 (resized).JPGIMG_2186 (resized).JPG

IMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPG

IMG_2188 (resized).JPGIMG_2188 (resized).JPG

IMG_2190 (resized).JPGIMG_2190 (resized).JPG

IMG_2189 (resized).JPGIMG_2189 (resized).JPG

IMG_2191 (resized).JPGIMG_2191 (resized).JPG

IMG_2192 (resized).JPGIMG_2192 (resized).JPG

IMG_2193 (resized).JPGIMG_2193 (resized).JPG

IMG_2194 (resized).JPGIMG_2194 (resized).JPG

IMG_2196 (resized).JPGIMG_2196 (resized).JPG

IMG_2195 (resized).JPGIMG_2195 (resized).JPG

IMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2197 (resized).JPG

IMG_2198 (resized).JPGIMG_2198 (resized).JPG

IMG_2199 (resized).JPGIMG_2199 (resized).JPG

IMG_2200 (resized).JPGIMG_2200 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I had a beautiful AFM that was HUO that I paid 1800 for years. It got to the point that I could get to RTU pretty easily even on hard settings so I sold it and bought a CC.

Wow thats crazy and u must be a good player. Mine still kicks my ass and i havent rtu or beat mars yet after thousands of games. Ive been told mine plays very fast and difficult compared to most tho....

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I'm going to post the pics and let you guys tell me what you think.

Very nice.... ill take it lol

#19 7 years ago

Keep the TOTAN

#20 7 years ago

Wouldn't make that trade, personally. TOTAN is a work of art and it looks like you've got a nice one. IJ is fun but depends on how much you like shooting mode start and it's not as nice to look at...

#21 7 years ago

I did a full restoration on a TOTAN about 6 months ago. Beautiful game, but boring as hell to play. IJ is still in my collection and going strong.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Wouldn't make that trade, personally. TOTAN is a work of art and it looks like you've got a nice one. IJ is fun but depends on how much you like shooting mode start and it's not as nice to look at...

Quoted from rdbronko73:

I did a full restoration on a TOTAN about 6 months ago. Beautiful game, but boring as hell to play. IJ is still in my collection and going strong.

The Hobbit is also a work of art and a beautiful game. However...

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from canea:

TOTAN is a work of art

Quoted from canea:

it's not as nice to look at

You nailed it TOTAN is nice to look at and is a work of art, but IJ blows it away with gameplay. If you want a museum piece keep the TOTAN if you want to move on and have fun with another title go IJ. Sounds to me like once you put it out in the universe of considering trading you have already made up your mind.

#24 7 years ago

Yea. I'm really wanting something else. If anyone is interested I'll do a trade for a IJ or sell outright.

#25 7 years ago

I think I have a really nice IJ that I would possibly trade for your TOTAN. What do you by your TOTAN is restored? Is it 100% LED, replaced decals...? Can I see a pic of the boards behind the back glass?
My IJ has NVRAM installed, so no batteries. It is 100% LED's, and I added a motorized propeller, and back/side art.

IMG_3331 (resized).JPGIMG_3331 (resized).JPG

IMG_3332 (resized).JPGIMG_3332 (resized).JPG

IMG_3333 (resized).JPGIMG_3333 (resized).JPG

IMG_3334 (resized).JPGIMG_3334 (resized).JPG

IMG_3336 (resized).JPGIMG_3336 (resized).JPG

IMG_3335 (resized).JPGIMG_3335 (resized).JPG

IMG_3337 (resized).JPGIMG_3337 (resized).JPG

IMG_3338 (resized).JPGIMG_3338 (resized).JPG

IMG_3344 (resized).JPGIMG_3344 (resized).JPG

IMG_3348 (resized).JPGIMG_3348 (resized).JPG

IMG_3349 (resized).JPGIMG_3349 (resized).JPG

IMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPG

IMG_3351 (resized).JPGIMG_3351 (resized).JPG

IMG_3352 (resized).JPGIMG_3352 (resized).JPG

IMG_3353 (resized).JPGIMG_3353 (resized).JPG

IMG_3354 (resized).JPGIMG_3354 (resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago

That's a super nice IJ and looks like original cab art. You are nuts if you trade your IJ for that TOTAN. Clean and great condition original IJs have so much going for them. The playfields have never been reproduced and most likely never will. The cab artwork will most likely never be legally reproduced again. I'd venture to say Even though they made a ton of IJs, licensing seems to be a real issue for this title and key components most likely won't ever legally be reproduced again. Alot of bootlegged components will though. Just my two cents and this TOTAN seems to be a real nice example too!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

That's a super nice IJ and looks like original cab art. You are nuts if you trade your IJ for that TOTAN. Clean and great condition original IJs have so much going for them. The playfields have never been reproduced and most likely never will. The cab artwork will most likely never be legally reproduced again. I'd venture to say Even though they made a ton of IJs, licensing seems to be a real issue for this title and key components most likely won't ever legally be reproduced again. Alot of bootlegged components will though. Just my two cents and this TOTAN seems to be a real nice example too!

Shut it. Lol

#28 7 years ago

The game has not been redecaled. It os original. As
Far as I can recall the of is all leds. I can get some pics of the boards tomorrow.

#29 7 years ago

I looked for a TOTAN for over a year. Finally got a beauty... sold in w/i 30 days.

I've owned my IJ for about 18 years... I still have it. It's not going anywhere.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The game has not been redecaled. It os original. As
Far as I can recall the of is all leds. I can get some pics of the boards tomorrow.

Hi James,

Your TOTAN and Kvothe's IJ both look like real nice games in very nice condition. You are about 435 miles apart. If you two can come to terms you could both meet halfway and exchange machines and get this thing done in about 8 hours.

If you are tired of your TOTAN and really wanting a nice IJ it looks like you have a really nice opportunity to pick one up without going through the hassle/expense of having a game shipped.

Just my 2 cents.

Gord

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi James,
Your TOTAN and Kvothe's IJ both look like real nice games in very nice condition. You are about 435 miles apart. If you two can come to terms you could both meet halfway and exchange machines and get this thing done in about 8 hours.
If you are tired of your TOTAN and really wanting a nice IJ it looks like you have a really nice opportunity to pick one up without going through the hassle/expense of having a game shipped.
Just my 2 cents.
Gord

Sounds good to me

#32 7 years ago

The game is fun it's not hard getting to beat the genie but it is hard to beat him. This game is a beauty as well. I just want a IJ. I had one that I restored years ago and I sold it for something else and that game has long since gone. I refuse to buy sterns and few titles that I have had that I would want back. IJ is one of them. It would look great next to my MM, CC, TZ and my naked Creech.

#33 7 years ago

I have had IJ for 5 years and it will never leave. I had TOTAN for 2 years and liked it a lot and sold it. I picked up another TOTAN for a steal a year later and it lasted 3 weeks. Ij is way deeper and more fun shots. I have owned 72 pins and none of them have been better than IJ.

#34 7 years ago

I'll throw in the silly mirror blades that came with the game.

#35 7 years ago

ij rocks!

#36 7 years ago

I guess im one of the few that like totan better and since when did ij become a 7-8 k pin? Makes me wish i wld of bought one of the ten i turned down in the last year or two for 5-5500.

#37 7 years ago

If I had a totan, I'd do anything I could to get rid of it and take whatever I could get for it, since you asked.

#38 7 years ago

Yeah I had both games and sold TOTAN after about a year and still have IJ..

#39 7 years ago

Yep, I'd send that Totan packing James. And then I'd send the CC my way!

#40 7 years ago

Played both extensively, never owned either....but TOTAN reminds me a lot of Scared Stiff (which I owned)- it has a ton of appeal, especially casually playing one, but it simply doesn't have the gameplay/longevity IJ has....it's the one's that kick your butt, that have you coming back for more....I find in casually playing TOTAN, I'm seeing everything the game has to offer and don't have to own one to dig deeper, IJ I feel like I have to own one to get to the bottom of it....if you can?

#41 7 years ago

Haha, I batting for you, I hope you can trade your TOTAN for that sweet IJ. I have both titles and I'm restoring both. I have new cabs and NOS PFs for both of them. TOTAN is a great game in a multi pin line up and non-pinball people can enjoy it. TOTAN has an awesome light show and beautiful inserts, and art.

The story behind TOTAN supposedly based on a true story, basically (short version) a lady slave kept coming up with these stories (the tales) to a king/sultan to gain favor and stay alive.

I don't know what other pins you have but I'd try to keep that Totan and find another pin to trade for an IJ or just buy one outright. I've had 3 IJs and every time I sell one I regret it. I think IJ is the best pin of that era. TOTAN is another pin that's hard to find in a condition like yours is in.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I guess im one of the few that like totan better and since when did ij become a 7-8 k pin? Makes me wish i wld of bought one of the ten i turned down in the last year or two for 5-5500.

This particular IJ seems to be in phenomenal condition. 5-5500 is an average price for an average condition IJ. Honestly, I'd buy a $5,000 IJ all day long if it is %100 working and doesn't have a PF that has issues like planking or insert/key line chips.

#43 7 years ago

Here are the pics of the boards. I looked at the cab and as far as I can tell it has not been redecalled. The puppies are an added bonus

IMG_2201 (resized).JPGIMG_2201 (resized).JPG

IMG_2202 (resized).JPGIMG_2202 (resized).JPG

IMG_2203 (resized).JPGIMG_2203 (resized).JPG

IMG_2204 (resized).JPGIMG_2204 (resized).JPG

IMG_2205 (resized).JPGIMG_2205 (resized).JPG

#44 7 years ago

Bud, my days of buying pins are over for now. I have to concentrate on getting my business back as I m too old and stupid to go get a job paying what I'm used to. My son is also going to college in a year and he is looking at Baylor or A&M.

To get the trade done I'm willing to trade even for that nice IJ

#45 7 years ago

Man after seeing those pics again James I'm not sure I'd get rid of that Totan. It's hard to find in that condition, still a lot of fun to play and obviously gorgeous.

I've played IJ a handful of times at Pinballz in Austin to see if I'd like a HUO and haven't gotten there yet, too many other options out there for me.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Hobbit is also a work of art and a beautiful game. However...

So says everyone who doesn't know how to tackle the ruleset.
Which is pretty much everyone.
People respond back in bark usually- rawr rawr rawr I play it every week in tournaments!
I shoot all the modes!
My response- yeah, that is why its boring to you! LOL
Hobbit isn't about mode hunting..

#47 7 years ago

I'm a little torn at the moment. Give me a day or so to think about it. As far as, I know the IJ is HUO, but can't prove it. The cabinet art is original. Heck just about everything is original, besides LED's and the motorized propeller. It's just been really well taken care of. As Bud said, it's hard to find an IJ that's in really nice shape that hasn't been restored.

#48 7 years ago

If both machines were in exact same shape Totan will always be worth more. IJ 12,000 produced Totan 3,000 rarer means a lot. Also never seen a HUO IJ with drill holes in the front cabinet.

#49 7 years ago

personally the totan is probably worth a little more but its not like either one is easy to find.

if you want the IJ I dont think it would be a terrible trade. maybe a little cash on top or keep the extras.

IJ is certainly an amazing pin

#50 7 years ago

Pinbum, you have a valid point. It probably was routed, but I believe it was for a very short time.

zr11990, I'll have an answer for you in about a day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 119.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
$ 85.00
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-trade-a-pristine-restored-totan-for-a-indiana-jones?hl=gravity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.