(Topic ID: 215082)

Would YOU support Stern in re-theming Iron Maiden for another game? (with poll)

By swinks

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would YOU support Stern in re-theming Iron Maiden for another game?”

• NO - (just want every machine different) 178 votes
    32%
  • NO - (because I am getting Iron Maiden and don't want another pin with the same design) 76 votes
    14%
  • YES - Original intended design - Archer 115 votes
    21%
  • YES - Spy theme like a comical - Get Smart & Kojak 12 votes
    2%
  • YES - Car theme - Fast n Furious 15 votes
    3%
  • YES - Action Hero Marvel Pin like - Deadpool 24 votes
    4%
  • YES - mysterious & action type game like - FreeMasons 4 votes
    1%
  • YES - Original Egptian theme - same but different 27 votes
    5%
  • Yes - Other 101 votes
    18%

(552 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

land_of_the_lost__matt_lauer_can_suck_it__by_tigerprincesskaitlyn-d589sda (resized).png
archer (resized).jpg
28uhc4 (resized).jpg
18b900076be25552d3a2a5d356d129f6 (resized).jpg
whining (resized).png
f6b2dd785d4473900559b4b2c6815a2b0f8af8c7 (resized).jpg
20180307_223143 (1) (resized).jpg
bye.gif
hqdefault (resized).jpg
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago

As stated in this thread by others, Maiden is a retheme, of Archer.

Also someone else brought up a good point. Maiden’s reception as a theme is very reminiscent of Dialed In where folks often state the game’s weakest link is it’s theme.

The Pro looks great. Can’t wait to see what they do to the Premium & possibly buy one. I am going to look into swapping out the songs for instrumentals if I buy it but would prefer a retheme from the jump.

However, theme isn’t everything. To me the ultimate theme is Star Wars but I didn’t buy one even with space, funds & wife approval all 3 perfectly aligned.

Wait... what if Maiden was rethemed as Star Wars?

#52 6 years ago

I’m all for the re-theme idea. The game itself looks awesome. So much so, it made me second guess buying GOTG, which I was about to do...
I don’t like the music or the art package. I don’t want my kids to take one look at it and have nightmares for a month.
Theme holds sway. It makes me consider buying an arguably generic GOTG and not buy an awesome Iron Maiden pin.

#53 6 years ago

A re-theme would depend on who programs it.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I’m all for the re-theme idea. The game itself looks awesome. So much so, it made me second guess buying GOTG, which I was about to do...
I don’t like the music or the art package. I don’t want my kids to take one look at it and have nightmares for a month.
Theme holds sway. It makes me consider buying an arguably generic GOTG and not buy an awesome Iron Maiden pin.

What's sort of ironic is that Keith was originally going to do GOTG but the timing didn't work out so he got the next one up.

#55 6 years ago

Stern has done it in the past. It makes sense to me that when you have a great layout, use it for several themes. Band themes are popular so just use the same layout for several band themes. Keep the same basic rules and just change out the art and songs. I'm really liking the layout of Iron Maiden but still on the fence about the theme. Metal bands do go good with pinball but just not sure about this one. It's better than a lot of other themes used for pinball, I will give it that. Just not really what I am into at all.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Stern wants us to buy..you would buy a game with a theme you hate?

You're saying all those games from the 80s and 90s everyone loves the licensed content?? Who knew Demolition Man and the Flintstones movies were such loved properties...

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You're saying all those games from the 80s and 90s everyone loves the licensed content?? Who knew Demolition Man and the Flintstones movies were such loved properties...

Bad movies and such, sure, but Iron Maiden coming on the radio has me diving to change the station. I'm going to have to listen to that music while playing. Nobody is making me watch Demo Man while playing the pinball machine.

I highly dislike Aerosmith as well, but it won't at least give me a stress reaction like Iron Maiden does. There are just some styles of music or songs that really drive people away. Iron Maiden does that for me along with any pop country music. I just can't stand to be around it.

#58 6 years ago

I wonder what Keith thinks of a retheme... It looks like he poured his heart and soul into the layout of Archer and really did a great job of tying the shots, toys, mechs, etc. to the Archer theme. While Iron Maiden is most definitely a version of that Archer layout, it is by no means the Archer layout. With the toys and mechs that were removed, simply "retheming" Iron Maiden to make it Archer I think would fall incredibly short of his original vision. If it was me, I'd have a hard time being excited about an Archer retheme of the game if it was missing all of the awesome toys and mechs that had been originally intended for it.

#59 6 years ago

I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'd probably prefer to have them focus on something new. On the other hand, I love the layout of Iron Maiden. I know it's not Archer, but I think they did a pretty damn good job of scaling it back. It's perhaps the most excited I've been for a layout in quite some time. I also dislike the theme. If they could somehow flip a switch and just give it a more generic Mummy theme with original background music, I'd instantly be more interested. Actually, that might be enough to get me to buy my first NIB.

#60 6 years ago

Better watch what you wish for. If that was to happen and it went over big Stern would have 1 playfield layout per year and 10 different sets of decals.

#61 6 years ago

I have never seen so much whining in my life. If you don't like IM music or it makes you physically ill, buy any one of the other 7 games Stern is producing or wait for the next one.
No one cares about your FEELINGS towards IM. I can't stand Elvis music, but I still play the pin occasionally when the opportunity presents itself and I don't whine on message boards thinking any else cares....

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I highly dislike Aerosmith as well, but it won't at least give me a stress reaction like Iron Maiden does

bye.gifbye.gif

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

No one cares about your FEELINGS towards IM.

And none of us give a shit that you don't care aboot our feelings.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I have never seen so much whining in my life. If you don't like IM music or it makes you physically ill, buy any one of the other 7 games Stern is producing or wait for the next one.
No one cares about your FEELINGS towards IM. I can't stand Elvis music, but I still play the pin occasionally when the opportunity presents itself and I don't whine on message boards thinking any else cares....

Man, who would have expected to see opinions on a theme in a thread asking for opinions on whether or not people would like to see a re-theme?!

#65 6 years ago

Stern shouldn't (have to) re-theme because a small majority didn't get their way. Don't like IM? Sorry, maybe next time... That being said I don't remember this amount of disdain with any other music theme pin released to date (not even Aerosmith). Which is crazy to me because IM has arguably the *best* most fleshed out source material and music of any music themed pinball machine EVER CREATED.

#66 6 years ago

I would rather stern let Keith do Archer and use a completely new design. I’m hoping the innovation in Iron Maiden raises the bar for all future titles.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I have never seen so much whining in my life.

Neither have I. One thing I have learned in the past month is that Maiden fans are very sensitive about people not liking Maiden. They are a very whiney fan base. Must be the old age.

#68 6 years ago

There’s always so much bitching...

#69 6 years ago

I hate fishing and Fish Tales. Is my favorite game. I love Guardians if the Galaxy and do not like the game. I live Iron Maiden, I am lukewarm on the game right now.

#70 6 years ago

And yes I have played it.

#71 6 years ago

There is so much more to a theme than the art on it. This would be a huge amount of work, and I doubt Stern would spend the resource.

And really, get over it. I have two games (Metallica and AC/DC) from bands I didn't like that much. It all came down to rules and gameplay. The rules on both are amazing, and that leads to the fun and interesting stuff. If this one ends up that good, I won't care that I don't like Iron Maiden. It take a really bad theme like Avatar (I hate it) to spoil a game for me.

#72 6 years ago

I don't mind re-themes with the same rules and different art, visuals and sound at all, as long as it's not overdone. Family Guy and Shrek: fine. Iron Maiden and other theme: fine by me. Metallica and other theme would be fine by me too. As long as they only do it if a game proofs to play well and is very well received (clearly better then average) and it's just 2 versions for different people who may not like a band or theme, I think it's a good idea. Just don't do it every game.

Edit: to me it also depends on how much work it'd be. Do they save a lot resources by not having to do rules and layout, or does it take so much effort you'd almost just as well develop a completely new game? I'd say only rewriting software for cal outs and visuals, saves a lot of time. (but creating new visuals and call outs probably still takes quite a lot of time too).

#73 6 years ago

No, because not only is theme is already awesome, but a re-theme would take away valuable personnel resources at Stern which could instead be working on their next release. This shit ain't easy, people. It takes a lot of time and resources to create all the artwork and video that go into these games. Plus, two versions means double software support, double inventory stock, etc.. It's just a bad idea. If really can't live with the theme, sit this one out. Keith will design another one.

#74 6 years ago

I don't think anybody is ASKING for a re-theme, but people are just supportive of the idea. If they game tanked, you know Stern would look into the possibility, but all signs point to Iron Maiden being a strong performer, so don't hold your breath for it.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Which is crazy to me because IM has arguably the *best* most fleshed out source material and music of any music themed pinball machine EVER CREATED.

It does... I mean besides the music part

#76 6 years ago

I'm generally against re-skins/re-themes mainly because I don't want to see Stern get (more) lazy and start doing that regularly. Those take time, money, and new ideas (for rules, modes, themes, etc) out of the picture that could be used on the next truly new title. I'd really just prefer they pump out unique titles - if you hate IMDN then just wait for the next release.

You could argue they already have done this with other main games - KISS/AS, Tron/Xmen, MET/GOTG, etc, and some of those worked out ok, but they at least had some differences in layout with unique rules, etc. A true cut and paste would be even more disappointing.
Again, I'd just prefer to see them make a game, then move on to the next one vs get bogged down with rehashing games over and over.

I can understand disappointment when you see the new hotness, from a new exciting designer like Keith, come out with a theme you just can't stand though. It's not like this will be the only machine from Stern for the next year or more though - well see another new one in a few months...

Not sure I'd want to encourage more "generic" themes from them, but a lot of these band themes in particular are going to be pretty polarizing, at least for home users. If their bread and butter is truly operators then I guess this becomes less important, I'll drop a few quarters in almost any game I see in the wild on location...

#77 6 years ago

Yes...now we get a new and original layout from Stern ( they took the mini ramp of LOTR all the same) we all want the game...but not into a turd theme as Iron Maiden.

One mans garbage is another mans gold! I see you own DI and that is a "turd" theme to me, but many others like it. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. Why not just be happy for all of us IMDN fans who finally got our game.

#78 6 years ago

I played the pro multiple times at MGC. I couldnt hear the music or call outs. The art, playfield and possibly the rules are great on this game. Interesting enough to possibly buy this game.

Ive been trying to listen to Iron Maiden. The instruments sound like bands I do like. But the vocals. I had a discussion with a coworker that is an Iron Maiden fan thats not into pinball. The conclusion was, there was a time and a place when Iron Maiden or some other metalish bands would appeal to you. But in current times its hard to appreciate this band when I never listened to them before.

I think the Eddie character is pretty cool. I even tried watching some live Iron Maiden. Its not clicking.

#79 6 years ago

I would love a Masonic game, but it would have to be done correctly and I'm not convinced that it would be. However, a game is a game, and that's the way it is. If you start retheming every single game then you'll have another El Diablo situation on your hands except with newer games.

20180307_223143 (1) (resized).jpg20180307_223143 (1) (resized).jpg

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

There is so much more to a theme than the art on it. This would be a huge amount of work, and I doubt Stern would spend the resource.
And really, get over it. I have two games (Metallica and AC/DC) from bands I didn't like that much. It all came down to rules and gameplay. The rules on both are amazing, and that leads to the fun and interesting stuff. If this one ends up that good, I won't care that I don't like Iron Maiden. It take a really bad theme like Avatar (I hate it) to spoil a game for me.

I respect you don’t like Avatar...but it's probably the most-watched film in the world or the most box-office hit. what I mean is that this film brings together a large majority of fans. Iron Maiden is far from unanimous musically.
For me, Stern ruined 3 games in a row and should have associated archer layout with SW or GOTG theme.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

One mans garbage is another mans gold! I see you own DI and that is a "turd" theme to me, but many others like it. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. Why not just be happy for all of us IMDN fans who finally got our game.

How many you are?

#82 6 years ago

I respect you don’t like Avatar...but it's probably the most-watched film in the world or the most box-office hit. what I mean is that this film brings together a large majority of fans. Iron Maiden is far from unanimous musically.

This is a horrible example. Avatar is one of the poster childs for 'high box office, but not praised/adored'. It doesn't really have fans.. it's panned for being a rip off of another story, and it's value was really about technology+time+place in movie production.

There is almost no title that is 'unanimously' adored... so not sure why anyone would consider that comparison even valid. Every title picked appeals to AN audience, not ALL audiences.

KISS is another great example... huge following, but hated by many too.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Stern shouldn't (have to) re-theme because a small majority didn't get their way. Don't like IM? Sorry, maybe next time... That being said I don't remember this amount of disdain with any other music theme pin released to date (not even Aerosmith). Which is crazy to me because IM has arguably the *best* most fleshed out source material and music of any music themed pinball machine EVER CREATED.

I agree, they don’t have to do anything. But, I am actually surprised that Stern doesn’t do more re-themes. It would be way cheaper to make multiple themes with the same design rather than creating whole new designs every time.

Make this same, great design with an alternate theme. Archer, Bob’s Burgers, Rick & Morty, Led Zeppelin...whatever. It would dramatically increase sales of this design.

Simply put, many people want this design but not this theme.

Signed,

Russell, theme-whore.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There is almost no title that is 'unanimously' adored... so not sure why anyone would consider that comparison even valid. Every title picked appeals to AN audience, not ALL audiences.

Sorry but this is because of my poor english that I can’t manage to express my thoughts as I would like

Quoted from flynnibus:

KISS is another great example... huge following, but hated by many too.

Yes, Kiss is like Iron Maiden for me. Just a kind of music I really don’t like. I guess metal bands and hard rock bands must have many many fans in the US for Stern to build 3 pins and Spooky one pin.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree, they don’t have to do anything. But, I am actually surprised that Stern doesn’t do more re-themes. It would be way cheaper to make multiple themes with the same design rather than creating whole new designs every time.
Make this same, great design with an alternate theme. Archer, Bob’s Burgers, Rick & Morty, Led Zeppelin...whatever. It would dramatically increase sales of this design.
Simply put, many people want this design but not this theme.
Signed,
Russell, theme-whore.

Anyway, Stern will do as they want and if they think there is money to make with a re-theme they will do it.

And re-theme doesn’t mean same game.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I don't like Iron Maiden as a theme at all. Doesn't mean I won't like or play the game, but does mean I would never buy the game. That is why a re-theme would be great

This. Exactly. Couldn't name one song by them, and would never buy this game. But like the layout and with a tolerable theme I might be interested.

#87 6 years ago

People bash the crap out of new games when they have a playfield layout similar to games of the past. How many side by side picture posts have we seen by people saying "this game is just like...xyz. Can't they come up with anything new?! They are just being cheap!".

#88 6 years ago

IMDN layout is soo good, that years down the road Keith and stern could flip (reverse) this layout and re-theme it. Jus sayin...

#89 6 years ago

Yeah I would have much preferred Archer or basically ANY other band. In this case the artwork is pretty cool even if I do think that their music really sucks balls. It's not something I can get used to either. Fortunately the artwork is not indelible to the band like say KISS, so the game could easily be made palatable by simply swapping out every song. To me a good idea would be to not have "Iron Maiden" on any of the cabinet art or playfield. Then we could swap out the music and get a replacement backglass and basically have a retheme.

Need to start a "remusic" thread for those who want the game now. I would pick a few songs each from Black Sabbath, Ozzie, Hendrix and Deep Purple.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

People bash the crap out of new games when they have a playfield layout similar to games of the past. How many side by side picture posts have we seen by people saying "this game is just like...xyz. Can't they come up with anything new?! They are just being cheap!".

It's because this situation is people WANT this game, but just not decorated this way.

They don't want to encourage cloning... they want KME's archer or 'anything' but not KME Maiden because they've fixated on that for some reason.

#91 6 years ago

How hard is it to replace the music?

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's because this situation is people WANT this game, but just not decorated this way.
They don't want to encourage cloning... they want KME's archer or 'anything' but not KME Maiden because they've fixated on that for some reason.

I'm sure Keith is very happy with the game. You can tell from how he talks about it, but it's also obvious that he's not an Iron Maiden fan and doesn't like their music. Given his choice in theme, he would have picked something else. Not that it should take away from what Iron Maiden ultimately became, but he very well could be in the camp of people who would be open to a re-theme possibility.

The game is going to be a success, so they won't recycle the layout. This isn't like Family Guy where operators held off from ordering until a more family friendly title was available.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I'm curious what others think as personally not a Iron Maiden Music Fan but loved Keith's Archer design when he was doing it and for me & sure many others would be in a similar situation. I never wanted to have a machine rethemed in the past but man I love what Keith and STERN have done on this game and reckon this could be one awesome....

How about Stern fires every other designer, artist, programmer and just keeps Keith/Yeti & the whole team who help designed Iron Maiden and just keep the Iron Maiden pinball machine design and it can be re themed into every single title that Stern obtains from now into infinity. Or You could pay $20,000 to Stern and have your own personal custom theme to this machine. Unreal.
Just buy the fucking machine! It’s perfect. Iron Maiden is perfect for the machine. Do you think when Keith came over to Stern, that they didn’t try to obtain Archer or think about trying to do that. Enough already.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm sure Keith is very happy with the game. You can tell from how he talks about it, but it's also obvious that he's not an Iron Maiden fan and doesn't like their music. Given his choice in theme, he would have picked something else. Not that it should take away from what Iron Maiden ultimately became, but he very well could be in the camp of people who would be open to a re-theme possibility.
The game is going to be a success, so they won't recycle the layout. This isn't like Family Guy where operators held off from ordering until a more family friendly title was available.

Keith may have not been a fan of Iron Maiden but he never said he didn’t like the music.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

Keith may have not been a fan of Iron Maiden but he never said he didn’t like the music.

In the C2C show he basically said it wasn't for him and he wasn't a fan of them or anything.. but once he did his homework and worked with it he felt it really lent itself to good pinball music

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

When he was asked on Coast2Coast Pinball if he became a fan of the music during the development of the game, he dodged the question in a telling way. It's fine. He shouldn't have to like the music. It doesn't seem to have impacted his ability to make a killer game.

#97 6 years ago

well 16 hours in and voting is at 351 votes with 47.5% for not re-theming and 52.5% for a re-theme / reskin which has been a close call during this period.

Stern did a reskin on Juicy Melons and Pabst
Stern did a reskin on Family Guy and Skrek
Then Stern have done alot of cookie cutter designs with lots of features recycled and for me didn't go for GOTG because it wasn't terribly innovative. I loved Metallica's layout, art but just not the music otherwise would of loved to buy it.

I haven't got into the Archer show but I like Bond and loved Get Smart when I was a kid so Archer is a theme that sits in between these. I watched Keith's Archer whitewood develop over a few years and loved it and really hoped as a theme and layout would be built as intended.

Imagine if we watched Scott Dansi's TNA get built, go to shows as a whitewood and loved by everyone and then if Stern got it turned into a WWE Womans or My Little Pony World is Under Threat. I am sure alot of people would want to see the game as originally intended TNA.

As like alot of guys have said this is a cool layout and the approach of the Iron Maiden theme is well done, and could get away with a mummy theme done changing the cabinet, translite and music and playfield could almost stay as is as well as the rules.

As for a retheme for this game and totally agree I would hate Stern to get lazy and do it on heaps of games but the equal spilt on "don't" and "do" re-theme, is people love Keith's layout design so much because it is fresh and original and Stern have broken a few of their molds in recycled design on this release which is a great thing and hope it encourages other designers to do the same.

As for cost to re-theme this game to say Archer:
- layout - not alot which frees Keith to be a little involved but also working on his next game
- mechs & manufacturing - win-win, as mechs / parts are swappable between the games which would possibly give stern a improved buying power ?
- rules - since many seem very very cool maybe a 50% change for adapting to the theme (50% time) - same rules designer
- sounds - yes a new cost (time and license)
- callouts - yes a new cost (time and license)
- art - yes a new cost (time and license)
I know this is a very broad, vague and rough estimate but you could consider it a 40% saving to re-theme to say Archer ?

otherwise great discussion and interesting to read people's thoughts due to a new designer with a great looking design

#98 6 years ago

Absolutely! This is the worst music in the history of pinball. IMOP

#99 6 years ago

Here's a great re-theme idea.

#100 6 years ago

Maiden maiden maiden !!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-support-stern-in-re-theming-iron-maiden-for-another-game/page/2?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.