(Topic ID: 25655)

Would you sell your IJ to get a Tron Pro?

By twinmice

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 11 years ago

Why would you roll your eyes to that?

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Beating a game."

Ah, I see. Well, maybe a little more discussion is warranted in terms of what he meant by that.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Was he rolling his eyes at me? All I see is ignored user post.

lol

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

To explain myself a little more, I've went through a lot of the 90's Williams, either owning them or working on them for someone else or playing them a lot at other people's houses. Usually it becomes sequence of:
1) acquire game
2) play it a ton
3) reach wizard mode
4) playing starts to tail off, reach wizard mode more times
5) game sits idle
That also happens on other manufacturers games of that era for me, it's not confined to Williams at all. I can look at the game and say "the theme is awesome, the art is great, it's fun, why don't I have the urge to play you anymore?". I think it's the feeling that I've accomplished almost everything on that game, hence the desire to play lessens a lot.
On the BBH/IM era Sterns that have come out, it goes against the grain over every other game I've liked. I usually like deep rulesets more than anything else. But those games like IM/Tron/Avatar etc have brought me to a different place where it's not about start this mode then start this mode then start this mode etc, it's more about setting things up to stack and generating huge scores off of strategy that so many of the 90's games lack really. There's a lot more randomness and the ball times are way shorter, which leads to the 'one more time' effect. In essence, they're just more fun and addictive than the older games are to me anyways. More collectible? Absolutely not. Better built? No way. But more fun? Absolutely in the long run, and that's all that really matters...what it's worth in X years or who makes it doesn't mean anything to me, it only matters that it's fun and that I play it. Hopefully that clears it up for whatever the ignored user asked, and that's why I would recommend Tron over IJ, because you'll end up playing it more.

Wow, great post, very well articulated, and I largely agree with what you have said. I was playing my MM a *ton* for the first few months, trying to get to the elusive King of the Realm. Once I achieved it....I achieved it again 3 days later....and again another couple weeks later. It's not getting played as much, and I think the fact that I have achieved that goal has a lot to do with it, even though I still love the pin. Well, that and the fact that I have an AC/DC here that keeps forcing me to hit the Start button over and over and over....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
14,000 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 12.95
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-sell-your-ij-to-get-a-tron-pro?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.