(Topic ID: 25655)

Would you sell your IJ to get a Tron Pro?

By twinmice

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hotwheels2me
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Im torn, I really like my IJ, but also really like Tron, but i would have to sell the IJ to get one?

#2 6 years ago

Which ij? I personally didn't like Williams IJ. So I would say yes. I love tron. You need to go play one and figure it out for yourself as everyone will have their own opinion but no one has the same taste of games.

#3 6 years ago

It is Williams IJ, i have played both alot, and like them both, but also thinking it would be nice to have something different.

#4 6 years ago

I own both pins and I don't think I would do it myself.
Both are great, but Tron will be a lot easier to get. I would be tempted to just save up for Tron and keep IJ... unless your issue is space.

There are a couple of games in your lineup I would let go first... but if you're bored it with, let it go to a good home.

#5 6 years ago

This is so funny. I almost did last week. That was my plan, but I just couldn't bring myself to swap the IJ for a pro. Had it been an LE (and I mean pre-price inflation), yes, I would.

#6 6 years ago

I was in the same boat. Is the IJ minty? If yes, then keep. If no, then sell and get the Tron Pro.

#7 6 years ago

Timely question. I am in the process of trying to purchase a lovely TRON Pro, and have to move one pin to do so. Of the pins I have, I currently have two widebodies, one TZ and one IJ(W). Of the two, I am trying to move my TZ but not IJ(W) as I like it too much and play it far more than TZ.

If there is space, etc., I would also recommend keeping your IJ(W) and just buying the TRON Pro as I agree that getting a decent 19 year old IJ(W), even though ~13,000 were made, might be harder in the foreseeable future than locating a used, but nice, TRON Pro (one day TRON Pro might be hard as well but perhaps not now).

#8 6 years ago

By my count there are only a few machines that are higher rated than IJ. Plus IJ is a great theme - one that my family would never scoff at. Tron pro vs IJ is almost not a fair comparison, though I love playing my Tron. Really has grown on me.

#9 6 years ago

Get the Tron pro. Thanks the last surprise run of 100 machines you may not sniff this price for an NIB tron again. The tron machine rocks. The pro is one of the most nodded games in all of pinball. Grab an NIB while you can.

#10 6 years ago

Sold a minty TOM to get my HUO Tron Pro- no regrets. Sold a nice IJ for a mint HUO TSPP- no regrets there either.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Im torn, I really like my IJ, but also really like Tron, but i would have to sell the IJ to get one?

I'd like your IJ Mike, but I don't think I can let Tron go yet. I'd have to sell Ironman to help pay for IJ. I do think Tron is a very fun and addictive game so I can see why you'd want one.

Kevin

#12 6 years ago

If IJ is in great shape, no. I'd prefer IJ over Tron even thought both are on my wishlist.

#13 6 years ago

Never.

#14 6 years ago

Hell No!

IJ is a timeless classic. Tron Pro is nothing special, overhyped IMHO.

#15 6 years ago

looking for this deal as well if anyone wants an IJ that works and playfield is beautful just needs some decals...going to do them if i dont sell as is soon...

#16 6 years ago

Keep the IJ. You will regret getting rid of the IJ weather it's for a Tron, BBB or anything else. I guarantee you will be looking for another one in the future if you sell it. I know you well enough to predict that.

Just sell the TZ already! too bad you don't have a TAF to sell. That's an even easier choice.

#17 6 years ago

Not going to happen. My IJ is staying. I might save and add a tron le or tron pro but not selling IJ WMS game in order to get it. To each there own though if you are bored and want to mix it up it is only up to you ultimately.

#18 6 years ago

I never have played a Tron yet so don't know how that game is. But it depends on how much you like your IJ. I have sold mine 2 weeks ago and bought and Addams instead. I dont like IJ that much and it is my "oddball"

So i guess you have to think. How much do you like your IJ. Will you regret it? and what is the state of your machine, if maybe in the future you regret your choice of selling it will you get a machine just as good or is it mint

#19 6 years ago

no brainer

#20 6 years ago

This thread hits home with me. I was in the market for an Indy when Stern announced the new run of Tron-which I ended up ordering. Last night I was able to play Sealclubber's sweet Indy (thanks again btw) and of course now I want Indy again. Whats a pinhead to do?

#21 6 years ago

Personally I wouldn't, but I grew up in the 80's, and the three (3) original IJ movies were a huge part of those formative years for me, so I absolutely love the theme. I love the art too, so it looks good just sitting there when I'm not playing it. I also love the game play, so it's a 3 times win for me with theme, art, and gameplay. Now I know that's just me, and everyone does not feel the same way.

Tron.. I love that too, LOL. For all the same reasons as the IJ. The Tron movie and video games of the 80's, the art is good to great, and the gameplay is excellent. I would love to have one, but I can't part with my IJ for it. I do look forward to getting a Tron down the line some day, the hard way (by buying it outright).

#22 6 years ago

I think you will have more luck in the future finding a Tron than a decent condition IJ that someone will be willing to sell you.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks guys, i think im going to hang on to my Indy and sell the HUO Nascar.

#24 6 years ago

Good call! ( of course, I'm from Canada... What's NASCAR? )

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Thanks guys, i think im going to hang on to my Indy and sell the HUO Nascar.

I wanted to suggest that in my original post... but didn't want to offend anyone

Good call!

#26 6 years ago

Wise decision, good luck!

#27 6 years ago

Don't ask an "Either/Or" question without a poll sir

#28 6 years ago

I'd trade IJ for Tron probably. Is Tron deeper? No. Does it have more things to do? No. But it's just a fun game that I'd probably play way more. What I've found is that on a lot of the 90's w/b games (not all) the number of games you play on them before they become more idle is around 500. Once you beat a lot of those games their appeal steadily declines. Games like Tron have a better one more time appeal than most of those games for some reason that I can't quite explain, which leads them lasting for 1000's of plays.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Once you beat a lot of those games their appeal steadily declines.

#30 6 years ago

Why would you roll your eyes to that?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why would you roll your eyes to that?

"Beating a game."

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Beating a game."

Ah, I see. Well, maybe a little more discussion is warranted in terms of what he meant by that.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ah, I see. Well, maybe a little more discussion is warranted in terms of what he meant by that.

I'm open to that. I've played a lot of W/B 90s games and never "beat" any of them.
I guess the closest is HS that I've flipped.

#34 6 years ago

I played Tron for first time yesterday fun game. I would trade but i didnt like my ij at all. But finding another down the line for you would be most difficult.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Was he rolling his eyes at me? All I see is ignored user post.

#36 6 years ago

I'd sell my IJ to buy nearly anything else. I'd sell it to buy LAH, WWFRR, Pinbot, FH, and about 50 other games that i'd take over Williams IJ. Hell, i'd take a Sterns IJ over williams.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

#38 6 years ago

Yeah I would sell it myself, TRON rocks

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

lol

#40 6 years ago

I'll take that as a yes. Oh well, lol.

#41 6 years ago

Keep IJ. Mine will never leave my possession. Ever. I found tron extremely annoying.

#42 6 years ago

I absolutely love both games, but in terms of longevity, IJ wins IMO.
Tron is new, it's hot and it's a lot of fun... but I also think it does not have the legs to stand for the next 20 years and then be compared toe-to-toe with a pin that is 20 years younger.

Once enough people have "beaten" Tron, I truly don't think there is a lot of substance there to keep you coming back long term. If I wasn't a big fan of the theme and movies, I doubt I would have gotten Tron. As far as gameplay, they could not be more different. Get the game that suits the style you enjoy playing.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

To explain myself a little more, I've went through a lot of the 90's Williams, either owning them or working on them for someone else or playing them a lot at other people's houses. Usually it becomes sequence of:

1) acquire game
2) play it a ton
3) reach wizard mode
4) playing starts to tail off, reach wizard mode more times
5) game sits idle

That also happens on other manufacturers games of that era for me, it's not confined to Williams at all. I can look at the game and say "the theme is awesome, the art is great, it's fun, why don't I have the urge to play you anymore?". I think it's the feeling that I've accomplished almost everything on that game, hence the desire to play lessens a lot.

On the BBH/IM era Sterns that have come out, it goes against the grain over every other game I've liked. I usually like deep rulesets more than anything else. But those games like IM/Tron/Avatar etc have brought me to a different place where it's not about start this mode then start this mode then start this mode etc, it's more about setting things up to stack and generating huge scores off of strategy that so many of the 90's games lack really. There's a lot more randomness and the ball times are way shorter, which leads to the 'one more time' effect. In essence, they're just more fun and addictive than the older games are to me anyways. More collectible? Absolutely not. Better built? No way. But more fun? Absolutely in the long run, and that's all that really matters...what it's worth in X years or who makes it doesn't mean anything to me, it only matters that it's fun and that I play it. Hopefully that clears it up for whatever the ignored user asked, and that's why I would recommend Tron over IJ, because you'll end up playing it more.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

To explain myself a little more, I've went through a lot of the 90's Williams, either owning them or working on them for someone else or playing them a lot at other people's houses. Usually it becomes sequence of:
1) acquire game
2) play it a ton
3) reach wizard mode
4) playing starts to tail off, reach wizard mode more times
5) game sits idle
That also happens on other manufacturers games of that era for me, it's not confined to Williams at all. I can look at the game and say "the theme is awesome, the art is great, it's fun, why don't I have the urge to play you anymore?". I think it's the feeling that I've accomplished almost everything on that game, hence the desire to play lessens a lot.
On the BBH/IM era Sterns that have come out, it goes against the grain over every other game I've liked. I usually like deep rulesets more than anything else. But those games like IM/Tron/Avatar etc have brought me to a different place where it's not about start this mode then start this mode then start this mode etc, it's more about setting things up to stack and generating huge scores off of strategy that so many of the 90's games lack really. There's a lot more randomness and the ball times are way shorter, which leads to the 'one more time' effect. In essence, they're just more fun and addictive than the older games are to me anyways. More collectible? Absolutely not. Better built? No way. But more fun? Absolutely in the long run, and that's all that really matters...what it's worth in X years or who makes it doesn't mean anything to me, it only matters that it's fun and that I play it. Hopefully that clears it up for whatever the ignored user asked, and that's why I would recommend Tron over IJ, because you'll end up playing it more.

Wow, great post, very well articulated, and I largely agree with what you have said. I was playing my MM a *ton* for the first few months, trying to get to the elusive King of the Realm. Once I achieved it....I achieved it again 3 days later....and again another couple weeks later. It's not getting played as much, and I think the fact that I have achieved that goal has a lot to do with it, even though I still love the pin. Well, that and the fact that I have an AC/DC here that keeps forcing me to hit the Start button over and over and over....

#45 6 years ago

I wouldn't do it. I don't care for Tron.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Sale Pending!
Indianapolis, IN
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside