(Topic ID: 14584)

Would you sell most of your pins to pay for a bigger game room???

By Pinballer22

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Melbourne
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have been working on the perfect 5 game line up and almost there and once I finish restoring a couple they will all be perfect. Dream come true, right??

The wife comes up with an idea of building on to our house to add a nice four seasons room off our living room would would the allow me to build on below that which would add 12 X 15 to my gameroom! Slight problem, quote was higher than expected and to afford it I would have to sell a couple of my prizes!!! We have decided to not go forward with it but I keep thinking how awesome it would be to get all that added space and I would be able to have more machines in the long run.

What would you do?? Maybe I could trade my restored/HUO examples for lesser quality to help free up some cash and restore them again down the road??? I get a headache whenever I think about it

#2 11 years ago

Sell the MB or MM and then buy something in the 2k range to replace (a temporary replacement pin may keep your mind off your loss for the time being)....lets say you now have 8k towards your expansion and then down the road you get your MM or MB back if you miss too much.

#3 11 years ago

you have a nice collection there. Save up the $ and then do the expansion. If you have nice examples I wouldn't sell em. Pinball made me purchase a new home last year so it could be worse. lol

#4 11 years ago

Totally agree with TZBen. You have such a nice collection pb22, I would keep them and save for the addition. Would love to have your situation.

#5 11 years ago

Definitely sell the pins. The same pins get boring after a while and you need rotation anyway. Bigger game room holds a larger buffer before you have to sell because you are full.

#6 11 years ago

I believe it's half a dozen one way or the other. If you sell your pins to add the room, then you would have to save possibly more money up to get the pins that you could possibly miss after you do the room. Plus, you know what kind of shape your pins are in and how you took care of them. I say, save the cash to have the room done.

#7 11 years ago

Only add on to the house if you will get that investment back out at a later date. To me it seems silly to sell your prize games of your almost perfect collection esp if it is to build an addition that will be worth less than what it costs to build when you opt to sell the house.

Think big and longer term is my main point I guess.

#8 11 years ago

Save the pins. I wouldn't mind selling MM IMHO to get some money for the expansion.

#9 11 years ago

Save up the money to get the expansion, because it is the easier path. Availability of pins are getting harder and harder on the "A" titles. Just check Ebay prices on what pins sold for. (NOT what people are asking, but what they SOLD for) Compare that with what you paid for your pins.

Prices on MM the last 2 years have gone up about 100 bucks a month. MB, CC, AFM are also appreciating currently. If, and I mean "IF" current prices continue for 4 years, then without doing anything your investment almost equals the value of cost for your add on.

On the other hand, many people think the bubble on these are about to burst on the pin market. They might be right as it has happened in other hobby markets.

If they are right about the bubble bursting; I'm sorry for advising you to keep your pins.

#10 11 years ago

Doesn't make sense to me to sell your collection to fund a bigger room, only to house no pins b/c you had sell them to build the room.

#11 11 years ago

That's what I told my wife when we added on to the house a few years back. Got a 1000 sq.ft. game room out of the deal and kept my pinballs.

#12 11 years ago

I sold a late model car to fund a large out building for my gameroom. I wouldn't sell pins to build an addition only to have no pins to fill it and more importantly the way prices are going it would cost more to replace certain titles had you sold them.

BTW: I don't miss the car

#13 11 years ago

I would hang on to pins just for the way prices are skyrocketing. The only caveat to that, is that the really high dollar pins like MM and MB seem to have been peaked for a while. Maybe sell those off for routed versions or something.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

I sold a late model car to fund a large out building for my gameroom. I wouldn't sell pins to build an addition only to have no pins to fill it and more importantly the way prices are going it would cost more to replace certain titles had you sold them.
    BTW: I don't miss the car

That was a beautiful Marauder, Jason, I'd miss it

I guess I'll play the devils advocate. At one point, my collection was over 30. Presently, it's around 16.

As long as I have something to wrench on, I'm pretty happy.

My son is getting to the point where he's interested in working on games. Unfortunately, there's a lot of dangerous stuff for a 4 year old - and a lot of stuff a 4 year old can break. I'd hoped to be out of this house and onto something bigger by this point, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

My thoughts at this point are I'm probably always gonna have about 16 pins. Of the 16 I have now, most are 'keepers' in my eyes. I figure I'll slate a couple slots for 'roving' pins - games that look interesting, but will probably get rotated out occasionally.

#15 11 years ago

Wife = yes
    Pins= no

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Doesn't make sense to me to sell your collection to fund a bigger room, only to house no pins b/c you had sell them to build the room.

Agreed

#17 11 years ago

I could probably get away with selling just the HUO CC and full restore MM to pay for most of it but I think the biggest issues would be getting them back! But then again I always say everything is for sale for the right price.

I think we have decided to hold off for now after a little more talk. If someone offers me good amounts of money down the road for what I think are keeper pins this will probably really toy with my head.

Last thing I will say is alot of the fun is the hunt and working on them. Therefore, it would be kind of fun to start from scratch but I am sure it would take alot of money and time to regain my fav's.

I am going to shut up now and be content with the space I have

#18 11 years ago

Find another way to get the money and build the room, as there is no sense in building a gameroom for games that are gone. They will be tough to get back, and probably be in lesser condition and cost more.

#19 11 years ago

I would vote for keeping your pins and saving up for your expansion. Think strategic versus tactical.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-sell-most-of-your-pins-to-pay-for-a-bigger-game-room and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.