(Topic ID: 234647)

Would you sell really nice LOTR to fund HUO Maiden Pro?

By monkeyboypaul

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sell LOTR to buy Maiden Pro?”

• Yes 24 votes
    26%
  • No 68 votes
    74%

(92 votes)

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Would you sell a really nice LOTR to fund HUO Maiden Pro?

That's my dilemma.

This LOTR would fetch about the same amount as the Maiden Pro, so it's almost an exact value match.

I could also sell a nice Congo, but that would not raise enough funds. I don't want to sell TRON, SM, IMVE or Metallica. TZ and RS are in pieces, so not in position to be sold right now.

Thoughts welcome. I am an average player & don't get time to play all that often - once a week maybe.

#2 5 years ago

It depends on how much you like LOTR. LOTR will hold its value better than IMDN and is probably worth more now. LOTR was a grail pin for me, but after owning it for a month I couldn’t sell it fast enough.

#3 5 years ago

yes - sell it for maiden

#4 5 years ago

I would, but I am not a LOTR fan. I don’t much care for very deep rule sets with long game play. I love Iron Maiden gameplay. I don’t have childhood memories of the band, still love the game.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

This LOTR would fetch about the same amount as the Maiden Pro

Umm... No. If so, then your LOTR is not mint.

#6 5 years ago

i like both games, but lotr in mint condition is worth a lot more than Maiden pro, maybe more than $1000. Lotr is a Whitestar system too, that will mean a lot down the road.

#8 5 years ago

Low play mint LOTR have been popping up for sale consistently now for several years, and the price has stayed basically the same. If you have had your time with LOTR-move onto Iron Maiden. If you ever want LOTR back-you can get it back pretty easy nowadays.

#9 5 years ago

No, definitely not. Hard to find a LOTR without wearings around the buttons, IM Pro easy to find anytime.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

No, definitely not. Hard to find a LOTR without wearings around the buttons

Mabye where you live but in the US-I can find a mint LOTR easily-they are a dime a dozen and pop up for sale all the time.

Don't be afraid to sell because it is mint-and you are afraid you can't replace it once sold-not the case.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Mabye where you live but in the US-I can find a mint LOTR easily-they are a dime a dozen and pop up for sale all the time.
Don't be afraid to sell because it is mint-and you are afraid you can't replace it once sold-not the case.

I wouldn't sell my LOTR for a Maiden and I like Maiden alot. Around here it's easy to find a Maiden to play on, they are all over the place, so I don't have any real need to buy one. It is not easy to find a LOTR that isn't beat to death and that plays correctly however.

#12 5 years ago

HELL TO THE NO.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I wouldn't sell my LOTR for a Maiden and I like Maiden alot.

I would not sell my LOTR for a Maiden either(but I do not like Maiden-Can't stand music). The OP has a great collection and if he has had his time with LOTR-then why not trade for something new? If he has not had his time with LOTR-then keep it. All I am saying is do not be concerned about it being mint and not being able to replace it. I thought I was lucky finding a HUO LOTR that had been sitting in a storage container for ten years-basically new. Then over time watching Pinside-I see them pop up frequently and usually they are low play HUO's-again nothing special here.

#14 5 years ago

I own both and i would sell LOTR for Maiden. My Maiden gets played a lot more than my LOTR.

#15 5 years ago

I sold my LOTR because I got tired of it. I loved it and then it was time for it to go. I got a great 2 for 1 deal and had a blast with those games. My point is not "don't sell LOTR" it is LOTR value does not equal Iron Maiden Pro. I'd say it would be more equal to a home use premium. Or at least LOTR = HUO Iron Maiden Pro + cash. But hey, do what you want and as long as buyer and seller are happy...that is all that matters in the end. In all of my transactions, whether I "won" or "lost" on the deal...I don't care because everyone ended up getting what they wanted.

#16 5 years ago

LOTR is a chore to me. Do what makes you happy.

#17 5 years ago

perhaps MINT was the wrong word!

Instead maybe: Really really nice, not an obvious mark on it, playfield is flawless from what I can see - has a protective layer on it (not a playfield protector - more like a full PF mylar - you can barely see it), ColorDMD, Speaker lights and inserts, Jay Palantir mod, LED OCD with warm white Comets, NVRAM, backbox lightboard...

In this part of the world it is probably a £5.5k game, as is a 2nd-hand Maiden Pro (Maiden Pro's are £6500 / $8500 new! Yeah... ).

Appreciate the comments.

#18 5 years ago

Business wise, terrible TERRIBLE move. LOTR in that condition vs Maiden which anyone can get? However if it's purely for fun and you just want a new game, I can understand but I would try to move a game that wouldn't appreciate as much as LOTR.

#20 5 years ago

You are lying to yourself if you think it's "hard to find" a decent LOTR in the condition described. Just on Pinside, there were literally over 30 of them sold last year for over 5500. Just go to the Pinside "Archived classified ad" and search for "rings".

They are everywhere, just have to have the $. Hell, there are two for sale right now for $6400 and $8k on Pinside as well as an overpriced LE. A good friend of mine sold a HUO one for less than 7K last year.

#21 5 years ago

Absolutely not.

#22 5 years ago

I would sell it to fund future pinball machine purchases, and if that includes Maiden now then sure.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You are lying to yourself if you think it's "hard to find" a decent LOTR in the condition described. Just on Pinside, there were literally over 30 of them sold last year for over 5500. Just go to the Pinside "Archived classified ad" and search for "rings".
They are everywhere, just have to have the $. Hell, there are two for sale right now for $6400 and $8k on Pinside as well as an overpriced LE. A good friend of mine sold a HUO one for less than 7K last year.

what's harder to find and will appreciate more?

LOTR or IM Pro?

Easy answer. My point.

#24 5 years ago

Absolutely NOT!
LOTR is one of the best games evah!!! Maiden is alright.

#25 5 years ago

Not a chance!

#26 5 years ago

Both are great! If your done with LoTR go for it, if not dont.

#27 5 years ago

Why not? If you are not playing it and don't think you will miss it then sell it. Sometimes a pin has to go to make room for something else. Doesn't matter if one pin is harder to find or ranked higher by the masses. If you have had your time with it and it makes sense to trade it for something else, do it. LOTR is not that hard to find and neither will be Iron Maiden. Both should be easy to buy/sell since they are great games.

#28 5 years ago

If I was done with LOTR, yes. However, I’m not done. I sold my first LOTR to find my second (a bit better condition HUO game). Right now that game is at a friends on swap for TWD. And when it comes back, I’m sure I’ll be very happy destroying rings again. I still consider LOTR one of the best games ever made. It’s only problem is it plays a bit too long. So it needs time.

And again, after all that, if you’re done with it, move it along. Someone else would love to get their chance at owning it.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

what's harder to find and will appreciate more?
LOTR or IM Pro?
Easy answer. My point.

Neither is hard to find.

You can't tell the future.

Furthermore, your comments have nothing to do with pinball, holding little weight.

#31 5 years ago

My answer is no.

You should add a poll to this thread.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

My answer is no.
You should add a poll to this thread.

added.

#33 5 years ago

zero chance I would make that trade...

#34 5 years ago

in a heartbeat. i've walked away from free games on LOTR on location after 40 min of chopping wood and no end in sight.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I would, but I am not a LOTR fan. I don’t much care for very deep rule sets with long game play. I love Iron Maiden gameplay. I don’t have childhood memories of the band, still love the game.

This post strikes me as odd considering that both games have deep rulesets and are long players.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

This post strikes me as odd considering that both games have deep rulesets and are long players.

Both are great games, but LOTR is definitely more of a journey pin IMO.

#37 5 years ago

After 3 or 4 months in a small collection, you would do it for sure.
Both are great machine for sure, iron maiden is a fast machine that you can play if you have 10 to 20 minutes available, lord not really, you need 30/40 minutes to start getting to something, is a question of kind of player you are after all.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Low play mint LOTR have been popping up for sale consistently now for several years, and the price has stayed basically the same. If you have had your time with LOTR-move onto Iron Maiden. If you ever want LOTR back-you can get it back pretty easy nowadays.

Hmmmm even in England?

#39 5 years ago

IMDN will still be in production for 2 more years. Don't hurry to grab one.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Neither is hard to find.
You can't tell the future.
Furthermore, your comments have nothing to do with pinball, holding little weight.

Remind me here - are you trying to argue that a mint condition LOTR is as easily available as a mint condition IMDN (a game that literally came out in 2018)? I know I'm not dealing with the brightest color in the crayon stack but I'm going to give you more credit than that seeing how LOTR came out in 2003. Math check = 16 years ago. Almost every IMDN available is like new, HUO. Even ones in the bar are prob holding up well. LOTR though?....

OK I'm going to stop b/c it's embarrassing. I can't tell the future but having a brain with common sense achieves the same result in this case.

btw....furthermore? Are you trying to wrap up a college thesis? These are all pinball related comments. Business wise, LOTR is the answer (as mentioned by others). As I mentioned - if you're bored, you're bored so move along and get what you want.

#41 5 years ago

I got rid of my LOTR within a few months of getting it, specifically to snag a then new IMDN Pro.

I'm a fan of the music, and IMDN is the best playing game I've played, so it was a no brainer I was getting one eventually. Still love it, just something special. Lotr just got boring super fast - which is ludicrous to say with how packed of a game it is, and the large ruleset. What can I tell you...

#42 5 years ago

Nah..

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Would you sell a really nice LOTR to fund HUO Maiden Pro?
That's my dilemma.
This LOTR would fetch about the same amount as the Maiden Pro, so it's almost an exact value match.
I could also sell a nice Congo, but that would not raise enough funds. I don't want to sell TRON, SM, IMVE or Metallica. TZ and RS are in pieces, so not in position to be sold right now.
Thoughts welcome. I am an average player & don't get time to play all that often - once a week maybe.

I’d get rid of your SM for IMDN in a heartbeat. And keep the LOTR and have 2 of sterns best pins win win

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’d get rid of your SM for IMDN in a heartbeat. And keep the LOTR and have 2 of sterns best pins win win

original sm is one of sterns best ever! Keep lotr, iron maidens will drop in price soon

#45 5 years ago

No. My first reaction was this, keep LOTR as long as you can, cherish it lol.

#46 5 years ago

Just save for one

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

original sm is one of sterns best ever! Keep lotr, iron maidens will drop in price soon

Agree - I love SM, a real bargain of a game by today’s standards.

#48 5 years ago

No....... But I would sell to fund a Premium.

#49 5 years ago

Maybe sell Congo. For the prices they fetch these days you’d get awfully close to a Maiden. Both of the games are similar in the fact they flow very well.

#50 5 years ago

Sell IM or Spiderman.....those two games lasted about 3 weeks in my house.....LOTR is highly rated, and a classic for a reason...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
$ 25.00
Trade
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-sell-mint-lotr-to-fund-huo-maiden-pro?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.