(Topic ID: 87626)

Would you rent a fellow Pinsider your pin?

By pinster68

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4life.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 10 years ago

I don't know....I did loan my AFM to a good friend. He ended up tuning it up and doing some nice things for me while he had it, so it was a great experience. Here is where I knid of agree with others, and why I think you are getting conflicting comments that go against the intent of your post. If I know someone well enough to rent them a game, and I would never do that if I didn't already know the person, then I would not feel "right" about taking money. I would feel happy to loan it out. And if I wanted to rent my games, I agree with another person that $100 just isn't worth the hassle, or not having the game when I get the bug to play it....which we all know would happen if it were gone. At some point something is going to happen to a game, either in moving or during play, that will wipe out the income derived from loaning it. And if I did charge the $100, it would be because I kind of needed the dough, and then the repair and wear issue is even more of a consideration. No....if I wanted to do this just to try out other games, it would have to be a free loan. And if it cost much more than $100 a month, which would address the financial issue to some degree, then I don't think it would make finanacial sense to the renter. And limiting the number of plays? I wouldn't be in as a renter.

Here is one twist though. How about renting to own? If you had a game you knew you didn't want, you could offer to rent it out for 30 or 60 days or whatever and apply it to a predetermined price. If the buyer didn't want it you just keep the rental fee. Thats the only way it makes sense to me, and then I wouldn't feel bad keeping their money.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Yep, that's more or less the logic I was going with Joe. And I did the math as well. $1200/yr ain't bad at all.

I operated for years so I concur with your excellent point. Of course, that is another way of stating part of my point which was made after your post. It would need to be approached as a business arrangement, not really a loan (sorry to the op...I know this isn't what you were asking, but it points to why renting probably won't work for most). When you look at it from a percentage point, I guess $100 makes more sense but for me personally, I wouldn't rent for so little. AFM at $100 isn't worth it. And as someone that sells pins for a living, I can tell you there is a definite downward trend going on with retail pricing, which is amazing though welcome to see. I would not want a high end expensive game tied up in a rental if I thought I might want to sell it. AFM were going for a retail price of $12k and some more depending on condition....if you could find one. I have seen three in the last 60 days for $8k or less. That would have more than wiped out any rental gains.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

This is different though, no? That would imply you wouldn't want the game back where as the poster seems to be interested in getting the game back eventually. That is a great idea though if both parties agree to it... you may want some sort of damage clause signed though... if the person is renting to own and the machine took x amount of damage in their custody (Beyond typical wear and tear), then they cannot "back out of" the deal without paying whatever the damages cost.

True, it is different. It was simply the only way I could see where renting made some sense.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

If you did not get something in a legally binding contract, you could get screwed. If you are doing a swap or a rent based on a handshake you are not protected if that pinsider that you trust turns out to be untrustworthy person. Quite a few times that I lent out something expensive or a large sum of money, my "good" friends that I trusted skipped town and I was out either something expensive or a large sum of money. I would not want to risk a high end pin for $100 a month when it could be "stolen" (possibly sold by the renter,) and all I would get would be an "I'm sorry." There is way too much that could go wrong. I would not loan anything to anyone that I would not give away. Family members are a different story though. And if we swap Blu Ray discs for example, that is not on the same scale as a pinball machine that I might have spent countless hours restoring that comes with a much higher price tag.

Boy do I agree with that!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Fair enough. So what would it take for a higher valued pin? $150? $200? Renting to the average Joe I would expect it to go higher, but for the Pinside case study I was keeping it low, just amongst us girls.

But we are then back to my point....if I had a Pinside buddy I knew well enough to rent him a game, I couldn't take his money...we're friends. I would loan it to him, and I have done that before and was happy to. Me personally, I wouldn't rent to the average Joe I didn't know. I agree with all the risks that have been mentioned above. I think its great when two or three people live in the same area and can simply rotate their pins around just like you would on a game route. Then everyone will likely take care of the games, no money changes hands (friends and money....they don't mix well anyway) and everyone can just have a great time with the pins!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4life.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-rent-a-fellow-pinsider-your-pin?tu=pinball4life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.