(Topic ID: 105815)

Would you remove your home theatre for more pins?

By Ed209

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Home theatre or game room?”

• Home Theatre! 19 votes
      25%
    • More pins! 27 votes
      36%
    • Both! 29 votes
      39%

(75 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

485776_10152107316340300_1318169903_n.jpg
    1662075_10153771578185300_161923131_n.jpg
    1120027_10153109964240300_1160313873_o.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm running out of space and I'm debating tearing down the home theatre to make room for more pins. It's a pretty sweat setup but damnit I want more pins and the wife wont let me put them anywhere else in the house. Debating just using the space for pins and selling the home theatre equipment. Am I crazy?

#2 9 years ago

The wife probably hates the home theater as much as she does pinball, so tear it out.

Keep a big amp and the subwoofer though.

#3 9 years ago

How many do you have with and without the home theater?

#4 9 years ago

Movies get boring pins never do

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from bam10:

How many do you have with and without the home theater?

8 comfortably. 10 uncomfortably.

Without the home theatre 18.

#6 9 years ago

Wow. I spend hours in my theater every day and hardly watching movies. Video games, TV shows, theater is way more flexible. Playing tombraider in stereoscopic 3d on a 135" screen, for example, is awesome. I would sell every single one of my pinballs before dismantling my home theater.

#7 9 years ago

Like bam said how many would you gain? Not an easy decision, I love my HT and would hate giving it up. I just put one in and I love it. However if your screen is not crazy big then it could be less painful?

#8 9 years ago

I couldn't offer advice without a floorplan

#9 9 years ago

Im with markmon....I went 135 and games are much more fun. I dont use 3d much but its cool.

#10 9 years ago

Well jumping from 8 to 18 makes that decision a little less complicated

#11 9 years ago

I love pins, but I love movies equally. If I had your space I'd make do with my 8 favorite pins and keep the theater. You can always rotate in new titles from time-to-time to keep your lineup fresh.

#12 9 years ago

Still have the media room, but the wife said the kids dont use the play room and offered it as more pin space. She also suggested without my idea "why dont we make the downstairs office another gameroom and well move the office upstairs to the spare bedroom.

....case in point "god i love her"

#13 9 years ago

8 to 10 is a reasonable collection and I think you would probably miss the home theater.

#14 9 years ago

Old picture of the space. Most of it has been filled with pins now.

1120027_10153109964240300_1160313873_o.jpg1120027_10153109964240300_1160313873_o.jpg

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The wife probably hates the home theater as much as she does pinball, so tear it out.
    Keep a big amp and the subwoofer though.

She actually enjoys the home theatre and doesn't mind the pins. Just doesn't want them taking over the house and is drawing the line before I go too nuts.

#16 9 years ago

Looks like you have room to get more pins and keep the theater.... line 3 walls with pins, 4th wall with screen, couch in middle. Or maybe the wife will let you move the theater into another room?

#17 9 years ago

More up to date pic of how tight it's getting.

1662075_10153771578185300_161923131_n.jpg1662075_10153771578185300_161923131_n.jpg

#18 9 years ago

Sell TMNT.

#19 9 years ago

Tempted but it's in really good shape. Also kind of a fan.

#20 9 years ago

I'd lose the MAME cabinet personally.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'd lose the MAME cabinet personally.

I finally got rid of my first but not sure I could ever let my second go. Built it myself and themed it after my favorite arcade game.

485776_10152107316340300_1318169903_n.jpg485776_10152107316340300_1318169903_n.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Get two comfy leather recliners and get rid of the loveseat. you can squeeze two or 3 more pins there and move around the chairs as needed. Nice room btw.

#23 9 years ago

I would not give up the theater. When we were designing the basement last year, the original plan was to have space for more pins and no theater. I was the big fan of more room for pins, but glad my wife, daughter and designer convinced me I would regret not having a theater and they were right (though my theater design cost me far more than expected)

It's very nice to have an area to do something else, get away from pinball for a few minutes or maybe read.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from fryeguy7:

Get two comfy leather recliners and get rid of the loveseat. you can squeeze two or 3 more pins there and move around the chairs as needed. Nice room btw.

I'm actually seriously considering replacing the coach with removable hammocks to free up space.

#25 9 years ago

If you're even considering removing it, you probably aren't using it very much. I'd lose the theatre in a heartbeat. Already sit on my ass too much without one.

#26 9 years ago

Your set up looks amazing. Are you sure you're not just making up problems for yourself so you have something to do?

I have one decent sized room as a finished basement and it has 4 pins and my "home theatre", which is basically an $300 720p HD projector shining about 60-70" on a blemished, white wall with no screen. Cheap Onkyo 5.1 home theatre speaker set up. And I think it's absolutely awesome.

I'm positive that you guys with the real deal sets ups are getting a "better than going to the movies" experience, but since I don't know what I'm missing, I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I watch movies and kids love playing their wii down there, etc. Wish I could fit more pins, of course, but I "only" have 4. If I had 8 I'd feel more than satisfied.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

If you're even considering removing it, you probably aren't using it very much. I'd lose the theatre in a heartbeat. Already sit on my ass too much without one.

Yep, besides you probably already have a living room where you can put theater equipment.

#28 9 years ago

There's no way I would give up my home theater for more pin space. It's even more of a sanctuary than my gameroom.

#29 9 years ago

I would keep it as is.... Looks awesome.

#30 9 years ago

I wouldn't give it up - no way. Get rid of the arcade games first.

#31 9 years ago

The best thing about a home theater is that if you are watching something, your wife wont interrupt you.

But if you are upstairs watching a movie on a TV, she will interrupt your viewing 20 times with some story about her day.

#32 9 years ago

Can you move the love seat up to the center of your room and put 3 pins where the love seat is now? Looks like it could work. No?
    You really need a comfortable place to sit and chill in the center of all your toys. Make it work.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

I would keep it as is.... Looks awesome.

I agree.If anything change the lineup occasionally.

#34 9 years ago

You can have BOTH!!! (or at least this is what I've done)...

Get a drop down screen for your projector that pulls down just in front of a row of pins!

. -------- WALL --------------------------
    . PIN_1 PIN_2 PIN_3 Pin_4
    . PIN_1 PIN_2 PIN_3 Pin_4
    . ======================= <<< drop down screen

--- Sorry - my chart above is getting reformatted, so I simplified it ----

With your projector mounted on the ceiling. I also have a love seat on "sliders" that we slide into position when it's movie time.

#35 9 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of the home theater.

#36 9 years ago

I've been fighting the space issue for quite a while and have had the tug of war with lots stuff I want to keep. For me it comes down to what am I going to use the most. If I only enjoyed a movie a month and played my pins 10x a month then the pins win. If it's the other way around then maybe the pins should share the space more appropriately. The things that I have given up I'm okay with because overall I know I'm using my space for more overall enjoyment.

#37 9 years ago

keep the theater

#38 9 years ago

As long as it is not a "Would you remove your bathroom for more pins" Poll...

Quoted from Ed209:

I'm actually seriously considering replacing the coach with removable hammocks

Is it comfortable watching TV from a hammock?

Quoted from Ed209:

She actually enjoys the home theatre

Then I would keep it... or you will pay for it later.

#39 9 years ago

Id keep the theater
    more to life than just pinball machines
    (please don't hate me)

#40 9 years ago

I will make a home theater out of my kids room once he moves on to college.
    In the meantime I have setup a projector in the backyard and we show movies outside like a drive in.

Mark when you sell all of your pins look me up....

I must say I might feel the same if my theater was as nice. Street Fighter at Markmons was very cool. Hard to describe vids on a big screen with subs unless you have played them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-remove-your-home-theatre-for-more-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.