(Topic ID: 239334)

would you rather JJP PotC or BK3??

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“would you rather ”

• JJP PotC 120 votes
      39%
    • BK3 154 votes
      50%
    • other (specify) 31 votes
      10%

(305 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have not played either, but may have a spot opening in my lineup so could add one. What do you think??

I have never owned any Stern since they went to large LCD screen. I realize Stern would be somewhat less money etc..

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You already know what I'll say lol.
    Seriously though and here's what it is for me. I like games that offer unprecedented amounts of depth. A majority of Sterns don't do that that for me. I feel that JJP pours their hearts into creating not only deep but also high quality code that has a ton of variety. In a home environment I feel like I can own their games for years and never get tired of them, that theres always something to do.
    Pirates of the Caribbean offers a crazy amount of depth with its ruleset, has a boat load of features, and has some of the best animation and callout work in pinball. That's ultimately why I bought an LE, just has it delivered today actually.
    I can't comment on Black Knight 3 gameplay as I haven't played one. I can already tell though based on what I've seen and read that it won't offer the depth and code variety I personally want in a game.

I see what you mean. Just found one JJP semi local (65 minutes from me) it's in a location so I don't know it may be set up like crap. But I will give it a look this weekend I hope.

I played DI on location and it was like crap but in my home it's great.

#15 5 years ago

I need to play PotC but whenever I look at the videos I just zone out because I don't know what and all that talking and just too much going on. It almost seems like a hot mess.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

JJPOTC is starting to feel like work to me now that I’m 100+ games into it. No idea what BK3 has to offer to be honest, hell the Pro may be the way to go in the end. But, i have a lot of trust in stern right now based on what they’ve been doing and who they’ve been hiring. I voted BK3.

This is a point. I sold my LotR which I love but was like work, it would sit in my game room and I was afraid to sell it but also didn’t want to play it a lot. So played LotR at a friends house and got like 80% to the DTR on my first game and realized that one play was enough.

I’m not sure if PotC is like that but I don’t want that.

#48 5 years ago

Well that’s a point. If JJP Potc was hell on wheels it would be selling better and I could play it without driving 65 minutes.

On Pinside more people list TNA in their collection than JJP Potc.

We know 550 TNA produced and almost 50 more people list TNA in their collection than all versions of JJP Potc.

I’m not saying boo or that Potc is bad but it’s not selling like anything. It’s like meh for sales. JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Hey ya scallywag, you are more than welcome to swing over to Bel Air and play my Pirates if you want to play one.

Thanks mate.

I have a Stern PotC for 10 years started the Stern PotC owners club too.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's the big mystery isn't it? My distro told me that if he had 10 pirate LEs right now they would be sold instantly. I can only think that it wasn't as profitable to build as JJP had planed. That's why they are either going to torpedo the title altogether or run it later down the road for a higher price point. You can't just raise the price in mid production (like right now) or everyone will grab the torches and pitchforks. You have to let it rest for a year and then fire it up again at a higher price point so that everyone just assumes its inflation.

That’s kind of what happened with Woz RR and YBR.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I meant the JJP Pirates.

I know. Looks like you are the closest Pinsider to me with a JJP PotC.

#80 5 years ago

I was able to play 10-11 games on JJP PotC last night and have found both good and bad.

Good, it's beautifully built and beautiful to look at and has a crap ton of toys/ spinners/flippers /targets /shots /modes/ character abilities... It's fun to shoot even if I didn't fully understand most of what is happening, it's just fun to shoot. It feels like TZ + WoZ + Tspp + PotC all rolled into one.

Bad, still it's costing what $8500/$9500/$12500 + shipping (?) idk I would not put it past JJP to want $11,500 for the pin in the future (RadCals etc) just like YBR Woz. It can't have been cheap it feels like two Stern pros combined.

Bad:

rules are confusing. I understand there is a thread like this is PotC made simple. But I'm not there. It's like as if I was playing Tspp or Woz for the first time without knowing anything about the rules. I'm sure there is good stuff in there but imo it's still confusing. And while it may have 30 or 50 modes they all seem to be "this is the mode xyz movie scene hit these 4-5 characters mode. I’d rather have fewer modes (like DI) and let them be more of an event rather than mode 58 = hit Jack, Will, Barbosa, and xyz other character. I mean ok that's the movie characters but I am not really feeling that is a gripping way to make the modes stand out.

It’s super well built but I need to play it a good bit more to feel like if I want it or not. If it's really long slog like LotR (great pin but just really long slog that is not what I need in my life).

#81 5 years ago

Would have been better if you could choose a movie and it played alone. I know it’s all in there but I mean if you have one movie separated rather than 5 movies worth 8 scenes all mixed up.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

He's just mad because I plundered all his points.

Ha, joke was on you because I didn’t have hardly any points to begin with.

BTW this appears to be the most intricate pin ever made. I can see why it costs as much as it does, it’s the Rolls Royse of pins.

There’s almost too much going on if they makes sense.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I have JJP POTC LE and love it. It's a special game. I would go ahead and get POTC now and see if you could get a used BK3 later.
    BK3 looks cool. I might end up with a premium in the future.

I’m wait and see. I’m hard pressed to believe they won’t make more Potc. I need to play it more to decide.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pirates is a game I don't see becoming tired of for a long time, if ever.

I agree with you about PotC having a lot of different rules (never see the same game twice etc.) that is not the same thing as saying PotC is the best pinball machine for me to buy.

AFM you can write the rules on one page and I mean all the rules. IOW playing AFM is an exercise in playing the same game over and over. However I love AFM and would not trade my AFM LE for a PotC LE. I mean that AFM is the Mona Lisa, not the Sistine Chapel. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I guess some people worry about becoming tired with a game as if that is the main reason to buy something. I have PotC (Stern) for over a decade still not tired of it, I could sell it or trade it and get a RBION or FG or some other pin. But I like Stern PotC, I enjoy playing it. Not to say that I don't enjoy RBION or FG just that if I sell my Stern PotC then I'll miss it. And that's a factor in what I buy or sell. I sold LotR not because I beat it or because it was not a good game just that for me it was not a lot of fun. I think TNA is more fun than LotR. TNA is probably not as good of a game as LotR, TNA is not super deep or have a lot of toys but it's just fun to play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-rather-jjp-potc-or-bk3?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.