(Topic ID: 239334)

would you rather JJP PotC or BK3??

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“would you rather ”

• JJP PotC 120 votes
      39%
    • BK3 154 votes
      50%
    • other (specify) 31 votes
      10%

(305 votes)

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Well that’s a point. If JJP Potc was hell on wheels it would be selling better and I could play it without driving 65 minutes.
    On Pinside more people list TNA in their collection than JJP Potc.
    We know 550 TNA produced and almost 50 more people list TNA in their collection than all versions of JJP Potc.
    I’m not saying boo or that Potc is bad but it’s not selling like anything. It’s like meh for sales. JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

Uh, I think you have that backwards. I have no idea where you got that info from, it's the opposite. JJP's exact words were that they ordered X amount of parts so they could make X amount of games, and they ran out of parts (sold all the games). And now they are making the next game, and the next game, that's why production stopped. The game sold out. Some of the distributors were actually upset as they have people wanting to order one but can't get the game. It's also why a used POTC LE sells almost immediately and at a price that is only $500 below NIB retail.

#52 5 years ago

Although I think Stern made a very nice looking machine w/ the new BK, I can just imagine how that upper playfield is going to look after a few hundred plays. It will just be a milky colored upper playefield that you'll no longer be able to see through.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

... JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

Huh?!

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Although I think Stern made a very nice looking machine w/ the new BK, I can just imagine how that upper playfield is going to look after a few hundred plays. It will just be a milky colored upper playefield that you'll no longer be able to see through.

Thought of that too, but I'd think you'd be able to get a new one pretty easily.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Well that’s a point. If JJP Potc was hell on wheels it would be selling better and I could play it without driving 65 minutes.
    On Pinside more people list TNA in their collection than JJP Potc.
    We know 550 TNA produced and almost 50 more people list TNA in their collection than all versions of JJP Potc.
    I’m not saying boo or that Potc is bad but it’s not selling like anything. It’s like meh for sales. JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

Hey ya scallywag, you are more than welcome to swing over to Bel Air and play my Pirates if you want to play one.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Uh, I think you have that backwards. I have no idea where you got that info from, it's the opposite. JJP's exact words were that they ordered X amount of parts so they could make X amount of games, and they ran out of parts (sold all the games). And now they are making the next game, and the next game, that's why production stopped. The game sold out. Some of the distributors were actually upset as they have people wanting to order one but can't get the game. It's also why a used POTC LE sells almost immediately and at a price that is only $500 below NIB retail.

My god man the run out of parts so they can't build more POTC but they can buy new parts to sell an overpriced stripped down WOZ funny stuff

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Did that happen on the lower playfield for AC/DC?

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

That's the part I don't get. If distributors are barking for more games and games are selling well, why not make a few hundred more or whatever until next game is ready? Instead they roll out a somewhat limited WOZ to fill a gap that doesn't appear to have an immediate demand? How many different runs of WOZ have they done? JJP had to order more parts to make WOZ so why not order more parts for POTC instead? WOZ never sold out. Obviously a decision was made on what game to move forward with. I don't get it either because it does seem like POTC is gaining steam as more people get to play it and owners have a lot of good things to say about it.

#59 5 years ago

This is an interesting thread and I'll have to admit that I had the same dilemma in my mind for a short bit. It may still go to BK if for some reason my pirates never gets delivered. For now, the decision I came to was get both! Get JJP POTC now (if you can find one) and BK later in the year. POTC is a super game, loaded with more features than any other game I can think of and a deep rule set to boot. I think BK is going to be a great game, but we won't know for certain until people have a chance to play it and the code matures (assuming its not at launch). It sure does scratch the right itches for me at first looks!

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

TNA is also a $6k game, Pirates LE is $9500, that will affect numbers on here.

That is Jacks only issue many people who want to buy a JJP game can't he would triple sale numbers at $7500

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

My god man the run out of parts so they can't build more POTC but they can buy new parts to sell an overpriced stripped down WOZ funny stuff

Do you think when JJP wants parts they just order them on amazon and have them 2 days later? It's clear you do not understand how all of this works.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

That's the part I don't get. If distributors are barking for more games and games are selling well, why not make a few hundred more or whatever until next game is ready? Instead they roll out a somewhat limited WOZ to fill a gap that doesn't appear to have an immediate demand?

That's the big mystery isn't it? My distro told me that if he had 10 pirate LEs right now they would be sold instantly. I can only think that it wasn't as profitable to build as JJP had planed. That's why they are either going to torpedo the title altogether or run it later down the road for a higher price point. You can't just raise the price in mid production (like right now) or everyone will grab the torches and pitchforks. You have to let it rest for a year and then fire it up again at a higher price point so that everyone just assumes its inflation.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

That's the part I don't get. If distributors are barking for more games and games are selling well, why not make a few hundred more or whatever until next game is ready? Instead they roll out a somewhat limited WOZ to fill a gap that doesn't appear to have an immediate demand? How many different runs of WOZ have they done? JJP had to order more parts to make WOZ so why not order more parts for POTC instead? WOZ never sold out. Obviously a decision was made on what game to move forward with. I don't get it either because it does seem like POTC is gaining steam as more people get to play it and owners have a lot of good things to say about it.

Because as I said above, they can't just order more parts on amazon and poof there they are. They have to plan weeks if not a couple months in advance the parts purchases vs when they'll have them for assembly. JJP ordered X parts for POTC, expecting to build X number of machines over X amount of time. Then next up is the YBR, and then the next pin, and then the next pin. All of the logistics of these parts have to be planned out. I cannot see JJP not making more pirates in the future, they even said as much at TPF. They have the license a few more years, so they could do it. JJP wants to come out with 2 pins a year, they aren't going to shut down their lines to wait for POTC parts and delay their next machines.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's the big mystery isn't it? My distro told me that if he had 10 pirate LEs right now they would be sold instantly. I can only think that it wasn't as profitable to build as JJP had planed. That's why they are either going to torpedo the title altogether or run it later down the road for a higher price point. You can't just raise the price in mid production (like right now) or everyone will grab the torches and pitchforks. You have to let it rest for a year and then fire it up again at a higher price point so that everyone just assumes its inflation.

See above. The logistics of making these pins has to be planned out. JJP is a small manufacturer and can only make X number of machines per day/week. Do they delay their entire company plan and announcing the next 2 games just to build some more POTCs? Or do they build more later on the 2nd line when they can plan for it accordingly? A smart company does the latter.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Hey ya scallywag, you are more than welcome to swing over to Bel Air and play my Pirates if you want to play one.

Thanks mate.

I have a Stern PotC for 10 years started the Stern PotC owners club too.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That’s kind of what happened with Woz RR and YBR.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks mate.
    I have a Stern PotC for 10 years started the Stern PotC owners club too.

I meant the JJP Pirates.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I meant the JJP Pirates.

I know. Looks like you are the closest Pinsider to me with a JJP PotC.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Because as I said above, they can't just order more parts on amazon and poof there they are. They have to plan weeks if not a couple months in advance the parts purchases vs when they'll have them for assembly. JJP ordered X parts for POTC, expecting to build X number of machines over X amount of time. Then next up is the YBR, and then the next pin, and then the next pin. All of the logistics of these parts have to be planned out. I cannot see JJP not making more pirates in the future, they even said as much at TPF. They have the license a few more years, so they could do it. JJP wants to come out with 2 pins a year, they aren't going to shut down their lines to wait for POTC parts and delay their next machines.

It's obvious JJP planned on shutting POTC down and moving on to another WOZ run long ago. I have not kept up with JJP news but was this a thing with past games? Did they stop WOZ and only make Hobbit? Then shutdown Hobbit to make DI? It seemed like they were always coming out with special editions of past games and selling new games. Don't recall anyone complaining they couldn't buy any one of their games.

#70 5 years ago

I have played JJP POTC and hated it. Ball times were too long and I am not a fan of widebody games.

Black Knight - I love the original and have owned both BK and BK2000. I do like Steve Ritchie games so most likely I will like BK3 since it is similar to BK2000 layout.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

It's obvious JJP planned on shutting POTC down and moving on to another WOZ run long ago. I have not kept up with JJP news but was this a thing with past games? Did they stop WOZ and only make Hobbit? Then shutdown Hobbit to make DI? It seemed like they were always coming out with special editions of past games and selling new games. Don't recall anyone complaining they couldn't buy any one of their games.

This is something new - they are trying to get on a schedule and stick to it, and only reveal a game just as they are getting ready to build them and ship.

#72 5 years ago

I voted other only because I would like to see next JJP pin and at least play BK.

I’m in no rush ,I like what I own and would have a tough decision of what to sell. I really don’t want to expand and maybe Pirates is the best choice but I want to buy on my schedule and not rush into anything because if they are halting production. If I miss out on Pirates so be it.
    I haven’t ruled out Deadpool or Mbr either.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

This is something new - they are trying to get on a schedule and stick to it, and only reveal a game just as they are getting ready to build them and ship.

Lol your post are one excuse after another

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Do you think when JJP wants parts they just order them on amazon and have them 2 days later? It's clear you do not understand how all of this works.

No it's not Amazon it is the same part suppliers that sell JJP parts for WOZ POTC and WW

#75 5 years ago

I was just thinking of number of shots that pass through or drop into an area between Pirate's and BK3. BK3 premium / LE has 7 of these types of shots, Pirates is at 16 and that's not counting the extra ball shot! That's not a knock against BK3, just pointing out that Pirates may offer the highest number of shots that I described above in pinball, passing TZ and WOZ as well.

#76 5 years ago

JJP Pirates is a beautiful game with a lot of depth. I have no criticism of it. It’s just not my style of game.

I’m a Steve ritchie fan and really like the looks of BK so far. I’m looking forward to playing it.

If I had to choose today, it would be BK. Also, it would be a Pro. LEs and Premiums are too high priced NIB.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

JJP Pirates is a beautiful game with a lot of depth. I have no criticism of it. It’s just not my style of game.

A rational and articulated opinion against a game? Am I still on pinside? :p

#78 5 years ago

Bk theme is way too good. Pirates, does little for me.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

If they can start shipping soon after announcing there next game, then that will be something new. I just expect them to announce something and then not ship until next year.

#80 5 years ago

I was able to play 10-11 games on JJP PotC last night and have found both good and bad.

Good, it's beautifully built and beautiful to look at and has a crap ton of toys/ spinners/flippers /targets /shots /modes/ character abilities... It's fun to shoot even if I didn't fully understand most of what is happening, it's just fun to shoot. It feels like TZ + WoZ + Tspp + PotC all rolled into one.

Bad, still it's costing what $8500/$9500/$12500 + shipping (?) idk I would not put it past JJP to want $11,500 for the pin in the future (RadCals etc) just like YBR Woz. It can't have been cheap it feels like two Stern pros combined.

Bad:

rules are confusing. I understand there is a thread like this is PotC made simple. But I'm not there. It's like as if I was playing Tspp or Woz for the first time without knowing anything about the rules. I'm sure there is good stuff in there but imo it's still confusing. And while it may have 30 or 50 modes they all seem to be "this is the mode xyz movie scene hit these 4-5 characters mode. I’d rather have fewer modes (like DI) and let them be more of an event rather than mode 58 = hit Jack, Will, Barbosa, and xyz other character. I mean ok that's the movie characters but I am not really feeling that is a gripping way to make the modes stand out.

It’s super well built but I need to play it a good bit more to feel like if I want it or not. If it's really long slog like LotR (great pin but just really long slog that is not what I need in my life).

#81 5 years ago

Would have been better if you could choose a movie and it played alone. I know it’s all in there but I mean if you have one movie separated rather than 5 movies worth 8 scenes all mixed up.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

rules are confusing. I understand there is a thread like this is PotC made simple. But I'm not there. It's like as if I was playing Tspp or Woz for the first time without knowing anything about the rules. I'm sure there is good stuff in there but imo it's still confusing. And while it may have 30 or 50 modes they all seem to be "this is the mode xyz movie scene hit these 4-5 characters mode. I’d rather have fewer modes (like DI) and let them be more of an event rather than mode 58 = hit Jack, Will, Barbosa, and xyz other character. I mean ok that's the movie characters but I am not really feeling that is a gripping way to make the modes stand out.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. I think the games code will get refined and maybe they can make the modes a bit more interesting. I still think The Hobbit has the best modes in pinball, but it took a while for the game to get where it is now.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. I think the games code will get refined and maybe they can make the modes a bit more interesting. I still think The Hobbit has the best modes in pinball, but it took a while for the game to get where it is now.

He's just mad because I plundered all his points.

I get the viewpoint on the modes. I think what keeps it good is that beside the mode, you get sidetracked by so much other stuff to do/going on at the same time. Plus I probably did a shitty job explaining things.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

He's just mad because I plundered all his points.

Ha, joke was on you because I didn’t have hardly any points to begin with.

BTW this appears to be the most intricate pin ever made. I can see why it costs as much as it does, it’s the Rolls Royse of pins.

There’s almost too much going on if they makes sense.

#85 5 years ago

Haha.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Would have been better if you could choose a movie and it played alone. I know it’s all in there but I mean if you have one movie separated rather than 5 movies worth 8 scenes all mixed up.

Theres a character that allows you to pick your chapter which would let you focus on one movie. The pick a character feature adds a tremendous amount of depth and strategy to the game. It also helps to add a lot of variety as well.

#87 5 years ago

I have JJP POTC LE and love it. It's a special game. I would go ahead and get POTC now and see if you could get a used BK3 later.

BK3 looks cool. I might end up with a premium in the future.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I have JJP POTC LE and love it. It's a special game. I would go ahead and get POTC now and see if you could get a used BK3 later.
    BK3 looks cool. I might end up with a premium in the future.

I’m wait and see. I’m hard pressed to believe they won’t make more Potc. I need to play it more to decide.

#89 5 years ago

I guess for me the train ( pirates seem to be sold out and I won't commit before mgc) has left the station. I bought the package for mgc that includes Friday preview night hoping for new jjp reveal knowing I will see BK first hand.

Can't wait.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m wait and see. ...

I think that based on your posts, your decision should be pretty clear ... go with a Black Knight.

In time, your current apprehension with POTC will hopefully decrease. And ... (nothing new here) ... what may seem like an overly complex code at first, will become straight-forward, as well as deeply appreciated, the more you familiarize yourself with it through playing the game.

#91 5 years ago

On a very simple level POTC rules can be broken down to this.

1. Theres a shot on the playfield for each movie, 5 in total
    2. Hit a movie shot 3 times to qualify a chapter from the movie
    3. Hitting the chapter area will randomly select a chapter from qualified movies (use Tia Dalama if you want to select a specific movie chapter)
    4. Movie mutliball qualifiers are always on screen, for example one has you hitting 8 shots representing the "9 pieces of 8" on the playfield to qualify it (similar to Fellowship MB in LOTR)
    5. Play the 5 chapters and multiball for a specific movie to quality that movies wizard mode
    6. Play all modes to start Break the Curse super wizard mode

Items to take things to the next level

1. Character selection will affect how modes and multiballs are completed as well as scored.
    2. Pirate lane awards selected using the lockdown bar button, completed by spelling Pirate using the inlanes , collect at shot by chest. Can increase scoring, light liars dice video mode, light extra ball, etc
    3. Map awards can result in a ton of different awards including plundering opponents points, gold, their character and even their ball
    4. Number of shots completed in chapter modes affects movie multiball scoring
    5. Number of jackpots collected in movie multiball and number of characters collected in chapter modes affects movie wizard mode scoring (timing out modes and multiballs will result in very low scores)

Every other pinball machine currently released, including BK3, will always play statically meaning chapters and multiballs will always play the same way. Even the 4 characters in Star Wars don't affect how individual modes and multiballs are played / scored. The randomly selected 25 chapter modes from a pool of 125 at the start of the game, character abilities, character disadvantages, Pirate lane awards, and map awards system will ensure that every game of Pirates plays differently. As a buyer of the game for my home Pirates is a game I don't see becoming tired of for a long time, if ever.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

On a very simple level POTC rules can be broken down to this.
    1. Theres a shot on the playfield for each movie, 5 in total.....

Really good summary of the game play. Not sure how you make this decision (BK3 versus POTC) until you play both. I like the BK3 from a theme /designer standpoint but until I know the actual game play , not sure I can decide on it. Pirates is a damn good from an all around standpoint.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m wait and see. I’m hard pressed to believe they won’t make more Potc. I need to play it more to decide.

I agree. They will likely make more, perhaps at a higher price, but I definitely think they will make more.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pirates is a game I don't see becoming tired of for a long time, if ever.

I agree with you about PotC having a lot of different rules (never see the same game twice etc.) that is not the same thing as saying PotC is the best pinball machine for me to buy.

AFM you can write the rules on one page and I mean all the rules. IOW playing AFM is an exercise in playing the same game over and over. However I love AFM and would not trade my AFM LE for a PotC LE. I mean that AFM is the Mona Lisa, not the Sistine Chapel. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I guess some people worry about becoming tired with a game as if that is the main reason to buy something. I have PotC (Stern) for over a decade still not tired of it, I could sell it or trade it and get a RBION or FG or some other pin. But I like Stern PotC, I enjoy playing it. Not to say that I don't enjoy RBION or FG just that if I sell my Stern PotC then I'll miss it. And that's a factor in what I buy or sell. I sold LotR not because I beat it or because it was not a good game just that for me it was not a lot of fun. I think TNA is more fun than LotR. TNA is probably not as good of a game as LotR, TNA is not super deep or have a lot of toys but it's just fun to play.

#95 5 years ago

BK3, even not having played it. Several reasons:

1. POTC is too easy. Even on the proto with the spinning discs that added a ridiculous amount of randomization and some really harsh STDM drains, I played on that thing on my very first game for 30-45 minutes, and played all the main multiballs, some of them more than once.

2. Price. JJP cannot compete with Stern, and I don't personally feel like the differences in their games are worth an extra 2-4k.

3. Theme. BK is kinda proven, and with it looking like BK3 is going to maintain most of the feel of BK2000 with it being a little campy and cheesy, that wins over a series of movies I've only seen half of.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

...POTC is too easy.

I'm betting that this is not the case for the vast majority of players. Perhaps your definition of easy is different though.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

...2. Hit a movie shot 3 times to qualify a chapter from the movie ...

Is your game set on a higher difficulty level? I only need to hit a skull shot ("movie shot") once to qualify a chapter for play from its corresponding movie.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm betting that this is not the case for the vast majority of players. Perhaps your definition of easy is different though.

That's a fair point, and I leave it to others to make that decision for themselves. I felt like Hobbit was extremely easy as well, WOZ to a lesser degree, and Dialed In is the hardest game JJP has made. This is all depending on the game playing properly in the first place, of course, which seems to be a major problem with JJP games. Weak flippers just absolutely screw over these games more than Sterns for some reason.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That's a fair point, and I leave it to others to make that decision for themselves. I felt like Hobbit was extremely easy as well, WOZ to a lesser degree, and Dialed In is the hardest game JJP has made. This is all depending on the game playing properly in the first place, of course, which seems to be a major problem with JJP games. Weak flippers just absolutely screw over these games more than Sterns for some reason.

I agree with your view. I had a hobbit, it played all day and wasn’t fun. It was like you couldn’t get out of multi-ball.

It was so beautiful though I wanted to love it.

POTC is the same. Really good looking but another multi-ball fest. My very first game lasted over 25 minutes.

DI is my fave JJP. Probably because it plays ‘harder’.

#100 5 years ago

I’m excited about the BK these and the williams licensing. I wish the pro had the upper PF though. I have to go all the way up to the Premium just to get the upper PF. This added cost might swing me.

Though what I am more excited about is the possibility of more older awesome williams titles that might get a sequel with stern. Can you imaging

Funhouse 2.0
    Or
    Big Bang bar 2.0
    Or
    TOM 2.0
    Diner 2.0
    Etc..

I can’t believe more people are not talking about what could come with this relationship.

BTW, not buying the JJP game. Well built games but just don’t do it for me, sorry. Don’t hate me.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-rather-jjp-potc-or-bk3/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.