1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Black_Knight
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“would you rather ”

• JJP PotC 120 votes
      39%
    • BK3 154 votes
      51%
    • other (specify) 30 votes
      10%

(304 votes)

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

I have not played either, but may have a spot opening in my lineup so could add one. What do you think??

I have never owned any Stern since they went to large LCD screen. I realize Stern would be somewhat less money etc..

#2 1 year ago

Maybe play both then make your decision?
    Nahh that's to logical.

#3 1 year ago

You already know what I'll say lol.

Seriously though and here's what it is for me. I like games that offer unprecedented amounts of depth. A majority of Sterns don't do that that for me. I feel that JJP pours their hearts into creating not only deep but also high quality code that has a ton of variety. In a home environment JJP games are the best fit for the type of ruleset and code design I prefer. That's just me though.

Pirates of the Caribbean offers a crazy amount of depth with its ruleset, has a boat load of features, and has some of the best animation and callout work in pinball. That's ultimately why I bought an LE, just has it delivered today actually.

I can't comment on Black Knight 3 gameplay as I haven't played one. I can already tell though based on what I've seen and read that it won't offer the depth and code variety I personally want in a game.

#4 1 year ago

It’s hard to vote since the new BK isn’t out yet. I plan to play it at MGC though in two weeks! So I voted POTC since that’s a surefire win.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seriously though and here's what it is for me. I like games that offer unprecedented amounts of depth. A majority of Sterns don't do that that for me. I feel that JJP pours their hearts into creating not only deep but also high quality code that has a ton of variety. In a home environment I feel like I can own their games for years and never get tired of them, that theres always something to do.
    Pirates of the Caribbean offers a crazy amount of depth with its ruleset, has a boat load of features, and has some of the best animation and callout work in pinball. That's ultimately why I bought an LE, just has it delivered today actually.
    I can't comment on Black Knight 3 gameplay as I haven't played one. I can already tell though based on what I've seen and read that it won't offer the depth and code variety I personally want in a game.

I see what you mean. Just found one JJP semi local (65 minutes from me) it's in a location so I don't know it may be set up like crap. But I will give it a look this weekend I hope.

I played DI on location and it was like crap but in my home it's great.

#6 1 year ago

I went with JJP POTC. So much to do and has depth for home use. Sold the LOTR to fund the new POTC. I’d love to play the new BK3, looking forward to playing on location soon. Just recently picked up a Deadpool in a trade and it’s been a fun pin-Wife wants to play it every night.

#7 1 year ago

I love the BK theme and had an original growing up, but I went with potc and put a deposit down on Sunday. At the LE level, jjp games are far above anything else and I couldn’t go pro on the BK because of the upper pf missing so I’m comparing a premium/le BK to a potc LE. I’ve owned the other three jjp games and always been impressed with them. I’m certain Bk will be a really fun game and maybe will own one at some point, but for now I’m going potc.

#8 1 year ago

Go with potc buddy... even if its not for you a few owners said that you can sell it for what you pay for it... possibly even more so there's really no harm in trying it. Also potc will be hard to beat ... bk doesn't look like anything special and if you didn't like the first 2 i doubt you will like the new one.

#9 1 year ago

I'm in an a POTCLE, but would really like to get a BK as well. One thing to consider, BK will almost certainly drop in value more than JJP POTC. In fact Pirates may go up, since production has stopped and IF they ever rerun it, it could very well be 11500, like YBR.

#10 1 year ago

Although Rai's polls are typically judgment based, this really isn't. Fact of the matter is, one of these games can't even be bought NIB right now. If you can find POTC, grab it, play it, love or hate it and then get your money back if not more.

BK will be there for some time and will go through the typical Stern cycle.

#11 1 year ago

If I had to pick between the 2 I would pick JJPOTC as they are stopping production soon and it could be hard to come by. I played a few games at sunshine and there is a lot going on in the game. If you don’t like it BK3 will be around in a year.

All that being said I guess I would vote other as I just picked up a Monster Bash today.

#12 1 year ago

I can see into the future of this thread, Why not add Willy Wonka and Jurassic World to this survey ?

#13 1 year ago

It's like asking to choose between twilight zone and BK2000. Two completely different games, but both great in their own way.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Maybe play both then make your decision?
    Nahh that's to logical.

There you go making sense again

#15 1 year ago

I need to play PotC but whenever I look at the videos I just zone out because I don't know what and all that talking and just too much going on. It almost seems like a hot mess.

#16 1 year ago

It seems overwhelming at first, but it’s actually really easy to catch on. It really is a great game, especially with other players. I almost didn’t give it a chance because of the theme and I also thought too much going on. Glad I gave it a second look. It’s one of the, if not the best all around pins. I also thought the lack of movie integration would hinder it. Honestly, that makes it that much better.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I need to play PotC but whenever I look at the videos I just zone out because I don't know what and all that talking and just too much going on. It almost seems like a hot mess.

Welp, here's a great video taking the time to explain POTC in a very thoughtful and patient way by it's lead designers Eric and coder Keith.

I didn't find much appealing initially, but after seeing how to play this, and excellent players do so, I've been in awe of it ever since.

I hope Black Knight is shit tons of fun! I'll be anxiously awaiting playing it!

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Do your homework - read POTC's rules on Tilt Forums and watch a few quality gameplay videos. Then play one and you'll soon realize that is has a great ruleset with lots of variables, really satisfying shots, fantastic audio/video, and unique mechanical features that add up to an outstanding pinball game after game after game.

Then buy one and enjoy it NOW. BK3 looks like it may be a fun game as well, but better to let the dust settle as it will be available for a long time to come.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

It's like asking to choose between twilight zone and BK2000. Two completely different games, but both great in their own way.

I’ll take TZ, thank you.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Do your homework - read POTC's rules on Tilt Forums and watch a few quality gameplay videos. Then play one and you'll soon realize that is has a great ruleset with lots of variables, really satisfying shots, fantastic audio/video, and unique mechanical features that add up to an outstanding pinball game after game after game.

I might be in a minority but I don't want to do homework to enjoy a pin. A good game should be approachable by the average player and a lot of the code easy to understand. Once you start getting good at the basic rules, then you start learning the more advanced rules and details. Having to learn advance rules on the first plunge is not fun imo.

#21 1 year ago

I haven’t got a lot of time in on a JJP pirates but when I did play
    the few times couldn’t hear anything from it because of background noise
    on location. Now with BK3 out I’m really tempting to pick one up as soon
    as possible. My track record has shown to usually wait but it really appeals
    to me right now. As far as POTC I need to watch some video on it to help
    grasp what I’m doing so I can better approach it on location.

#22 1 year ago

BK all day. Looks like the most fun game made since Metallica. POTC is a confusing slot machine with zero personality.

#23 1 year ago

Then buy one and enjoy it NOW. BK3 looks like it may be a fun game as well, but better to let the dust settle as it will be available for a long time to come.

I think this is a good take. POTCs are going to stop production soon to make way for future games, but BK3 will be made for like three years. I still haven't read into the rules, but really enjoyed my time with JJPPOTC on location and at TPF.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I might be in a minority but I don't want to do homework to enjoy a pin. A good game should be approachable by the average player and a lot of the code easy to understand. Once you start getting good at the basic rules, then you start learning the more advanced rules and details. Having to learn advance rules on the first plunge is not fun imo.

If my 7 and 10 year old can figure it out without researching first, so can you.

#25 1 year ago

I really enjoyed playing POTC at TPF. I am sure JJP will be running these again in the future with a higher price tag.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You don't have to learn advanced rules to enjoy Pirates. I just find that I typically enjoy any game a lot more when I know what I'm trying to achieve. Keith Johnson's rule sets are especially worth taking the time to understand as you'll get so much more out of them.

Hell, with POTC, I even watched all 5 movies before I bought the game! Glad I did too as I now recognize the many elements from each that Eric Meunier incorporated so well into the game's design.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I do homework on every pin I buy and some that I know ill play at the bar. With that in mind, part of the reason I bought Monster Bash to replace TWD is I have complex games already. I wanted something more approachable for non pinheads. Don’t rule out a pin because you have to read a little about the rules.

#28 1 year ago

JJPOTC is starting to feel like work to me now that I’m 100+ games into it. No idea what BK3 has to offer to be honest, hell the Pro may be the way to go in the end. But, i have a lot of trust in stern right now based on what they’ve been doing and who they’ve been hiring. I voted BK3.

#29 1 year ago

MBr SE

#30 1 year ago

I voted neither.

I've owned Stern POTC and have played JJPPOTC. I'm all pirated out.

Same with BK3. I already own BK and BK2K. I'll play BK3 at some point, but I'm not dying to have one. In fact, my mini BK collection might be on the block at some point.

I'm waiting for Elvira's House of Horrors and Toy Story.

#31 1 year ago

I am getting a JJP POTC, made a deal yesterday.

#32 1 year ago

I would get POTC in a heartbeat.
    I haven’t played BK3, but I know how all Stern games end up. Cheap build, shots you have shot before and code that is similar to all the other games.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

JJPOTC is starting to feel like work to me now that I’m 100+ games into it. No idea what BK3 has to offer to be honest, hell the Pro may be the way to go in the end. But, i have a lot of trust in stern right now based on what they’ve been doing and who they’ve been hiring. I voted BK3.

This is a point. I sold my LotR which I love but was like work, it would sit in my game room and I was afraid to sell it but also didn’t want to play it a lot. So played LotR at a friends house and got like 80% to the DTR on my first game and realized that one play was enough.

I’m not sure if PotC is like that but I don’t want that.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

This is a point. I sold my LotR which I love but was like work, it would sit in my game room and I was afraid to sell it but also didn’t want to play it a lot. So played LotR at a friends house and got like 80% to the DTR on my first game and realized that one play was enough.
    I’m not sure if PotC is like that but I don’t want that.

Pirates offers way more variety then LOTR. With LOTR you have 6 main modes that always play the same, 3 main mulitballs (the movie ones) and 3 wizard modes. It's a hell of a ruleset but it, like all pinball machines, will play the same as pinball code once completed is static.

With Pirates the character feature and the abilities for each changes how every game is played as does the randomly selected 25 chapter modes from a pool of 125. It's very unlikely you will play the same game twice. Since chapter modes can be completed anyway you want and the character ability (and disadvantage) affects how they are completed it ends up resulting in a ton of variety. Same goes for playing the 5 movie multiballs. Then there's the pirate lane awards and map awards system which adds another layer of depth. Finally theres 5 progressive based wizard modes that are classic Keith Johnson wizard modes like Destory the Ring, Battle the Wicked Witch, etc. Oh, and then attempt or beat everything and theres the Break the Curse Super wizard mode lol.

The depth of Pirates is impressive but what impresses me more are the multiple ways it can be played and that's big plus considering once pinball code is completed it never changes. With Pirates theres always a different way to play the game.

#35 1 year ago

BK3 by a landslide.

- Steve Ritchie games always shoot well.

- The Black Knight is actually in the game.

- Better pinball music.

- Better art.

I have played pirates. Here are my issue's with the game:

- Right scoop doesn't hold up. No clue why a scoop like Metallica or Guardians wasn't used there.

- Can't really see what i'm aiming for with the 3rd flipper.

- No movie assets to work with.

- Wide body...I prefer standard.

I will say though...at the end of the day, if you own ___ game and love to play ___ game, that is really all that matters.

#36 1 year ago

I went POTC. It's going off the line and if they do another run you can expect the price to be higher. I've gotten to play it and know I like it. It's my kind of game, and I think it's a great home pin.

BK3 will be easily obtainable (unless you're going CE), and should be easy to find on location. If I play it and like it, I would imagine a second hand one would be easy to find in about 6 months time.

Comes down to preference at the end.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seriously though and here's what it is for me. I like games that offer unprecedented amounts of depth. A majority of Sterns don't do that that for me. I feel that JJP pours their hearts into creating not only deep but also high quality code that has a ton of variety. In a home environment JJP games are the best fit for the type of ruleset and code design I prefer. That's just me though.

Also, what no one really mentions is how many light years ahead of Stern are JJP's service menus. You want to find out which coil/switch is erroring, just look at the screen pic of the playfield for the flashing dot. There is sooo much more to JJ's games. Stern is charging LE prices for what should be Pro models. I still like Stern games and will continue to buy them, but they don't make anything worth near $9k, imo.

#39 1 year ago

I would probably get BK3 but even if you don't have a chance to play them wait for the BK3 stream at least to watch and see if you like what you see.

#40 1 year ago

I'll be waiting a few more weeks to see what Willie Wonka offers.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Agreed. I want to know upfront if I’m in or out. Having to study a game or play it 1000 times to appreciate it is akin to hearing fans of a TV drama series say “wait until season 5, and then it starts to get good” (Netflix-ument? )

Not saying POTC is a bad game, I just don’t care for it-and yes I’ve played it.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Also, what no one really mentions is how many light years ahead of Stern are JJP's service menus. You want to find out which coil/switch is erroring, just look at the screen pic of the playfield for the flashing dot. There is sooo much more to JJ's games. Stern is charging LE prices for what should be Pro models. I still like Stern games and will continue to buy them, but they don't make anything worth near $9k, imo.

Exactly, well said. You can't change every coil setting strength either on a modern Stern which is a real bummer. I can't believe they are still using that old outdated menu system on their LCD games.

#43 1 year ago

Question ? I rarely see anyone discuss build quality? I know some guys will blow me up I’m bashing Stern but honestly?
    The lockdown bar ? Metal cabinet, basically throw away boards ? When you shell out $9500 Dollars in cold cash for a LE does anyone appreciate quality built products anymore. I guess coming from the restoration side of things from wedge heads to Diner/Taxi etc you come too appreciate these things well built.

My Vote ? I think you can figure this out

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

JJPOTC is starting to feel like work to me now that I’m 100+ games into it. ...

Quoted from rai:

This is a point. I sold my LotR which I love but was like work, it would sit in my game room and I was afraid to sell it but also didn’t want to play it a lot. ... I’m not sure if PotC is like that but I don’t want that.

I think this may be an example of where eskaybee 's superior playing skills might be a detriment and my mediocre skills are a benefit. I've played well over 100+ games on POTC and I'm finding it to be more fun each time as I've just scratched the surface on the many variable challenges and options it has to offer.

#45 1 year ago

I think this may be an example of where eskaybee 's superior playing skills might be a detriment and my mediocre skills are a benefit. I've played well over 100+ games on POTC and I'm finding it to be more fun each time as I've just scratched the surface on the many variable challenges and options it has to offer.

Yeah. I have plenty of short games mixed with my better games. It has been a perfect mix so far, that I always hit the start button again.
    And to those that think it is hard to figure out what to do, just play a few games on it. It really is simple to know the basics and have a great time. Everything is well laid out and verbal cues are top notch.

#46 1 year ago

It could also be that I’m comparing my play on a routed game vs your home setup game. I’m sure yours plays way better, faster, and possibly more fun than the routed game. JJP games in general don’t seem to play as good on route than at home.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

If my 7 and 10 year old can figure it out without researching first, so can you.

You have some smart kids because I played a couple of games and had no clue what was going on. My kids still don't have a clue how to play any of my pins but they don't play much.

Quoted from Monk:

I do homework on every pin I buy and some that I know ill play at the bar. With that in mind, part of the reason I bought Monster Bash to replace TWD is I have complex games already. I wanted something more approachable for non pinheads. Don’t rule out a pin because you have to read a little about the rules.

My homework is just playing pins when I can. Playing pinball is fun. Reading volumes of text on complex rules is not fun and no way I can do that for all games. If a game cannot explain itself with inserts, callouts, animations, etc. then it's probably too complicated. I thought DI did a much better job of that. I only played a handful of games on it but caught on to the rules pretty quick. Found that game to be a blast to play. Other JJP games not so much.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Agreed. I want to know upfront if I’m in or out. Having to study a game or play it 1000 times to appreciate it is akin to hearing fans of a TV drama series say “wait until season 5, and then it starts to get good” (Netflix-ument? )
    Not saying POTC is a bad game, I just don’t care for it-and yes I’ve played it.

Exactly. I've tried watching some of these popular shows in the past and didn't enjoy the first one or two episodes. I don't have the time and even if I did I wouldn't want to waste it watching a bunch of mediocre episodes just to get to a point where maybe the show gets decent. Same for pinball. Most games are fun once you learn the rules but I just don't like the process of learning rules on a complicated pin. I bet JJP would have a lot of success selling a high end, retro, simpler game. It wouldn't take years to develop and appeal to a wider audience, especially if they could get price down. I just don't see much future for pins with 5 digit price tags. POTC maybe a good pin but it looks like it was a disaster for JJP. I don't know how else you can call it when POTC production is cut short to rehash WOZ.

#48 1 year ago

Well that’s a point. If JJP Potc was hell on wheels it would be selling better and I could play it without driving 65 minutes.

On Pinside more people list TNA in their collection than JJP Potc.

We know 550 TNA produced and almost 50 more people list TNA in their collection than all versions of JJP Potc.

I’m not saying boo or that Potc is bad but it’s not selling like anything. It’s like meh for sales. JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

#49 1 year ago

JJP POTC

With all the crap I had to deal w/ on my GBLE...doubt I'll ever buy another NIB Stern

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Well that’s a point. If JJP Potc was hell on wheels it would be selling better and I could play it without driving 65 minutes.
    On Pinside more people list TNA in their collection than JJP Potc.
    We know 550 TNA produced and almost 50 more people list TNA in their collection than all versions of JJP Potc.
    I’m not saying boo or that Potc is bad but it’s not selling like anything. It’s like meh for sales. JJP admits as much as they are stopping production to make a 4th version of Woz because no one is clamoring for more Potc.

Theres not even a TNA around me on location but theres a Pirates within an hour drive. TNA is also a $6k game, Pirates LE is $9500, that will affect numbers on here.

Considering how popular TNA is and how everyone went nuts about it I'm surprised only 50 people more list it in their collections then Pirates which costs much much more. That's impressive for Pirates and not everyone lists their games here and theres a ton of sales outside of Pinside as well.

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of Pirates lol. May be best to go with a different game and or get the game that you enjoy playing the best.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 999.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 209.99
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside