Topic poll

“One game or Two”

• 1 9 votes
    8%
  • 2 99 votes
    92%

(108 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Would you rather buy 1 machine or 2 machines for just a little more? The games in question are AC/DC Pro and MBr CE or Willy Wonka LE. I really thought Willy Wonka was going to be my first JJP but still can't get over the prices. The ACDC and MBr were not much more than the Wonka shipped, all NIB from same distributor. The discount for buying multiple machines was substantial. The Wonka Standard was tempting but the loss of the Wonkavator and being a little underwhelmed by the machine in general pushed me towards the LE model. Then the price of the LE swayed me in the direction of the others. Plus the fact that MB is my wife's all time favorite, although she would have loved Wonka if not for the price. I think Stern Pros and the remake Classics are at an excellent price point.

#2 4 years ago

I would get the AC DC pro and the MBr CE.

#3 4 years ago

I would go for the ACDC and MBr . Especially since your wife loves MB. One cost to figure in is the color upgrade chip for MB cause it's a must have!

#4 4 years ago

2. All day, every day.

#5 4 years ago

Pick the option where your wife is happy. Having her included in the hobby will make it more enjoyable. Plus, you’ll have a better chance of getting some action later.

#6 4 years ago

long post for the OP:

when you have no pins; going for 2 is the way to go. When you have 7, you can be a little bit more picky, choosy, and selfish. I own ACDC pro - fantastic game - love the gameplay way more than the premium. That said, i was just recently in the market for a new game; at the time, my 3 pins were serious, fast, brutal games (SW, IMDN, ACDC) - so i wanted something ‘different’ ‘quirky’ and ‘fun’. Wonka & WOZ were at the top of that list. I had owned WOZ in the past and would love to own again. I love Ritchie games so wanted to wait and see BK3 too. So i waited...i saw both reveals; BK3 - hard pass, even though it looks super cool it was just too serious and brutal and sort of similar to IMDN in the atmospheric sense. Then i saw Wonka; it checked a lot of the boxes i was looking for, even the price hit my budget at $7500. But it seemed half baked, the sounds and display did nothing for me, I didn’t see any excitement or Adrenalin factor (yes its hard to tell those things from the streams, and who really knows when they’ll start rolling out. I think Wonka would be worth revisiting in about 6-9 months when code gets baked more.

So that left me at a standstill; i started looking at 2 for 1’s with my $7500 budget. Had a few options with some 90’s pins like DH, R&B, WCS, and even MBr was a choice - but again, another fan layout with MBr meant an easy pass for me on that. Then, some friends and Pinside’s started diverting me towards Deadpool. And they told me to get the premium, not the pro (cause i like stern pro’s). It was right in budget. Problem was, i played the pro numerous times on release and hated it. But 8 months later, the code is at 1.00 and i put it back on the radar. I sought out an LE to play on location and had fun. It didn’t say instant buy when i played it on location, but i watched a couple streams and talked to more Pinside’s and everything they were saying was checking all the boxes for what i was looking for. I pulled the trigger on a Premium and just got it this week. Holy hell is this game that good and more.

Moral of the story; do your research! find out what you want as your next game. You have a pretty brutal lineup, so it kind of makes sense to get something quirky like Wonka; but research for me showed that i really didn’t want a wonka movie themed pin - for myself. So find out what you are really after. And if you haven’t given it a look, check out DP Prem/LE.

hope this helps and isn’t too much rambling haha

Quoted from PokerJake:

Would you rather buy 1 machine or 2 machines for just a little more? The games in question are AC/DC Pro and MBr CE or Willy Wonka LE. I really thought Willy Wonka was going to be my first JJP but still can't get over the prices. The ACDC and MBr were not much more than the Wonka shipped, all NIB from same distributor. The discount for buying multiple machines was substantial. The Wonka Standard was tempting but the loss of the Wonkavator and being a little underwhelmed by the machine in general pushed me towards the LE model. Then the price of the LE swayed me in the direction of the others. Plus the fact that MB is my wife's all time favorite, although she would have loved Wonka if not for the price. I think Stern Pros and the remake Classics are at an excellent price point.

#7 4 years ago

Two for sure.

#8 4 years ago

two for sure

#9 4 years ago

Two.

Do what the wife wants initially so she’ll keep her top lip very close to her bottom on future purchases.

#10 4 years ago

2 for sure. Who knows when you'll get your Wonka. You can buy and sell 4 more new release Stern's before JJP ever gets their shit together. Plus LEs aren't really limited from JJp so you'll be able to buy them later once the games get properly engineered causing you less headaches down the road.

#11 4 years ago

Do the 2! Get a used wonka later if you play it and like it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

long post for the OP:
when you have no pins; going for 2 is the way to go. When you have 7, you can be a little bit more picky, choosy, and selfish. I own ACDC pro - fantastic game - love the gameplay way more than the premium. That said, i was just recently in the market for a new game; at the time, my 3 pins were serious, fast, brutal games (SW, IMDN, ACDC) - so i wanted something ‘different’ ‘quirky’ and ‘fun’. Wonka & WOZ were at the top of that list. I had owned WOZ in the past and would love to own again. I love Ritchie games so wanted to wait and see BK3 too. So i waited...i saw both reveals; BK3 - hard pass, even though it looks super cool it was just too serious and brutal and sort of similar to IMDN in the atmospheric sense. Then i saw Wonka; it checked a lot of the boxes i was looking for, even the price hit my budget at $7500. But it seemed half baked, the sounds and display did nothing for me, I didn’t see any excitement or Adrenalin factor (yes its hard to tell those things from the streams, and who really knows when they’ll start rolling out. I think Wonka would be worth revisiting in about 6-9 months when code gets baked more.
So that left me at a standstill; i started looking at 2 for 1’s with my $7500 budget. Had a few options with some 90’s pins like DH, R&B, WCS, and even MBr was a choice - but again, another fan layout with MBr meant an easy pass for me on that. Then, some friends and Pinside’s started diverting me towards Deadpool. And they told me to get the premium, not the pro (cause i like stern pro’s). It was right in budget. Problem was, i played the pro numerous times on release and hated it. But 8 months later, the code is at 1.00 and i put it back on the radar. I sought out an LE to play on location and had fun. It didn’t say instant buy when i played it on location, but i watched a couple streams and talked to more Pinside’s and everything they were saying was checking all the boxes for what i was looking for. I pulled the trigger on a Premium and just got it this week. Holy hell is this game that good and more.
Moral of the story; do your research! find out what you want as your next game. You have a pretty brutal lineup, so it kind of makes sense to get something quirky like Wonka; but research for me showed that i really didn’t want a wonka movie themed pin - for myself. So find out what you are really after. And if you haven’t given it a look, check out DP Prem/LE.
hope this helps and isn’t too much rambling haha

We love brutal machines here. I prefer quick games to the longer story driven games. Unfortunately the DP theme does nothing for us, otherwise looks like a decent machine. My wife now has her two favs one being MB and the other is GB. I just hope new code comes out for GB.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Pick the option where your wife is happy. Having her included in the hobby will make it more enjoyable. Plus, you’ll have a better chance of getting some action later.

This guy has it all figured out...

#14 4 years ago

I kind of thought the poll would have been a little closer, maybe 3 to 1 in favor of 2. Especially with all the perceived love of Wonka since the reveal. Although the question was more of a generic question than specific to Wonka. Does JJP need to find a way to get their prices to atleast CGC CE prices to be more competitive?

#15 4 years ago

I have never seen excitement for a game die as quick as Wonka. Pick up an LE down the road. Get the other two now.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

We love brutal machines here. I prefer quick games to the longer story driven games. Unfortunately the DP theme does nothing for us, otherwise looks like a decent machine. My wife now has her two favs one being MB and the other is GB. I just hope new code comes out for GB.

i hear ya. I didn’t quite want to sound like suggestions DP (but it kind of did), but the point was to research which it sounds like you have and are doing. Problem with Wonka is its half baked, not shipping, and you really don’t want to be first in line to guenea pig the issues. For those reasons alone, i’d hold off on Wonka; at least til they can get the code more fulfilled.

#17 4 years ago

I am less of a fan of MB (much prefer AFM) but that's beside the point. If my choice was between 2 or 1 I'd get two if they were pins that I truly liked. Some of my better pins are Met pro and TWD pro and IM VE which are all in the $5K range.

JJP pins are superior in many ways to Stern pins but they are not worth 2x the price of a Stern pro (IMO). Keep in mind that you can add stuff later like Color DMD but you can start out cheaper to get your foot in the door.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am less of a fan of MB (much prefer AFM) but that's beside the point. If my choice was between 2 or 1 I'd get two if they were pins that I truly liked. Some of my better pins are Met pro and TWD pro and IM VE which are all in the $5K range.
JJP pins are superior in many ways to Stern pins but they are not worth 2x the price of a Stern pro (IMO). Keep in mind that you can add stuff later like Color DMD but you can start out cheaper to get your foot in the door.

Agreed, AFM is better than MB. MB is a simpler game with a good theme for non pin guests and family while still having some decent strategy. It'll be interesting to see where JJP goes in the next couple years.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Or at least you'll have the illusion of it until you beat her down on it in 2 player games a few times. :Þ

Can I pick option 3? Wonka Standard and AC/DC Premium?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Or at least you'll have the illusion of it until you beat her down on it in 2 player games a few times. :Þ

I prefer the pro to the premium, that lower playfield didn't do it for me. I thought about the pro and Wonka SE but lack of Wonkavator and uncertainty of its actual release kinda killed it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You’ve gotta let the girlfriend/wife win a few games. I was just speaking about how if you involve your significant other in the hobby, everyone wins. You should definitely get a pin she loves, especially if you have a large collection. I suggest you get her the MBr and a second pin for you! Win-Win

#22 4 years ago

I would go for 2, and maybe check out Munsters pro since you like brutal games. The Munsters pro is pretty fast and not having a ball save keeps the line moving.

#23 4 years ago

I'd go for the acdc and Wonka se. You'll get over the lack of the wonkavator. Seriously, jjp put a game out in the premium price range, and even with the lack of the elevator it will still be more packed than those others. Mbr is really cool, but in a home it will get stale quicker than the others IMO. Ask yourself if you'd rather have a MBR over a standard Wonka. Everyone is different, but I'd consider Wonka.

#24 4 years ago

AC/DC & MB are both ultra fun bonafide classics. Can’t go wrong with them. Wonka’s horrible canned slot machine audio package would drive me nuts within 5 minutes, but that’s me. In any case, it’s not done/shipped yet. Wouldn’t buy before launch unless you’ve got a Wonka themed house or something.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'd go for the acdc and Wonka se. You'll get over the lack of the wonkavator. Seriously, jjp put a game out in the premium price range, and even with the lack of the elevator it will still be more packed than those others. Mbr is really cool, but in a home it will get stale quicker than the others IMO. Ask yourself if you'd rather have a MBR over a standard Wonka. Everyone is different, but I'd consider Wonka.

That'd be 2k more, I could get a system 11 with the money saved. I think JJP is getting closer but still too far to nab sales away from CGC and Stern.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:Pick the option where your wife is happy... Plus, you’ll have a better chance of getting some action later.

We’re talking pinball action, right?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

I have never seen excitement for a game die as quick as Wonka. Pick up an LE down the road. Get the other two now.

This is true.

Also, the unwritten pinball rule is:

If you have space for 2 machines, you buy 2 machines. Or 3.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

how true it is

#30 4 years ago

Gotta keep the wife happy, otherwise I'd be out of the hobby already...lol

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I prefer the pro to the premium, that lower playfield didn't do it for me. I thought about the pro and Wonka SE but lack of Wonkavator and uncertainty of its actual release kinda killed it.

I'm not a fan of the lower playfield, but the other things that the Premium has make such a drastic difference in AC/DC, it's really really hard to justify the Pro...and the Pro is much more difficult to locate for sale too, there just aren't a ton of them out there...or people are death-gripping them. If you prefer the pro because it's faster BECAUSE it lacks the crossover ramp and drop targets, I can totally get that. For me, I owned a premium for about 6 months, and I still couldn't get to Encore even though it was 'slower' than the pro, so YMMV there.

Wonkavator...psh. That...yeah whatever. It's not worth 2 grand for a 3 ball physical lock mech.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

You’ve gotta let the girlfriend/wife win a few games.

Not if I can help it. She's already screwed me over in enough tournaments that I needed to win. No mercy for her, and I'll continue to PLAY BETTER.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm not a fan of the lower playfield, but the other things that the Premium has make such a drastic difference in AC/DC, it's really really hard to justify the Pro...and the Pro is much more difficult to locate for sale too, there just aren't a ton of them out there...or people are death-gripping them. If you prefer the pro because it's faster BECAUSE it lacks the crossover ramp and drop targets, I can totally get that. For me, I owned a premium for about 6 months, and I still couldn't get to Encore even though it was 'slower' than the pro, so YMMV there.
Wonkavator...psh. That...yeah whatever. It's not worth 2 grand for a 3 ball physical lock mech.

You're probably right about the Wonkavator. I'll revisit Wonka in 6 months to see the reviews, if it has even shipped by then. Hopefully Toy Story is soon, that would be our families grail pin and would purchase instantly. I prefer everything about the ACDC pro to the premium except for the bell. The standups seems to play a lot faster and didn't like the crossover ramp otherwise it's pretty much the same.

#34 4 years ago

Unless you absolutely love and adore WONKA, I say go for two as well. The chances that the 2 you buy will be come staples in your collection are small. You'll likely end up flipping them and the good news is, the older ones values aren't exactly dynamic these days so you'll likely get your money back out of em whereas a WONKA you'd lose your rear tail feathers getting rid of.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

You're probably right about the Wonkavator. I'll revisit Wonka in 6 months to see the reviews, if it has even shipped by then. Hopefully Toy Story is soon, that would be our families grail pin and would purchase instantly. I prefer everything about the ACDC pro to the premium except for the bell. The standups seems to play a lot faster and didn't like the crossover ramp otherwise it's pretty much the same.

You prefer single color GI to the 3 color?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You prefer single color GI to the 3 color?

I wouldn't say prefer, just not an issue to me. As long as I can see the playfield, the GI is good. Color GI actually seems to muddy/darken the view sometimes atleast in my old Star Wars.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I wouldn't say prefer, just not an issue to me. As long as I can see the playfield, the GI is good. Color GI actually seems to muddy/darken the view sometimes atleast in my old Star Wars.

Well, for one... DE Star Wars is just a dark game to start with. It NEEDS really really bright white GI to be well lit. I had more of a problem with the flashers on AC/DC Premium blinding me than the color GI being too dark.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, for one... DE Star Wars is just a dark game to start with. It NEEDS really really bright white GI to be well lit. I had more of a problem with the flashers on AC/DC Premium blinding me than the color GI being too dark.

I meant my Stern Star Wars. The GI was nice and bright until lightsaber duel, then it changed to the red/blue GI and couldn't see a thing in a darker room. Miss the game though, the multiplier strategy kind of killed it for guests and non pinheads. Bright flashers get annoying fairly quick. I put the bright 8 LED flashers in my NGG and that thing burned my retinas every multiball.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I meant my Stern Star Wars. The GI was nice and bright until lightsaber duel, then it changed to the red/blue GI and couldn't see a thing in a darker room. Miss the game though, the multiplier strategy kind of killed it for guests and non pinheads. Bright flashers get annoying fairly quick. I put the bright 8 LED flashers in my NGG and that thing burned my retinas every multiball.

We can agree on that. I hate everything about Lightsaber Duel! I hate that it kills my modes, I hate that it doesn't end when you drain, and I hate the GI choice they made for it. =\

#40 4 years ago

id rather have a bottle in front of me ….than a frontal lobotomy

#41 4 years ago

There 2 fantastic games, I would choose the 2 over the 1, AC/DC an MB are proven hits, see what happens with Wonka an get one down the track.

1 month later
#42 4 years ago

I guess it depends on your preferences. I can not personally stand AC/DC pro (unpopular opinion, I'm sure). To me it feels cheap and clunky, I don't like the theme (AC/DC are basically the only CD that every bad strip club DJ has), the shots don't feel particularly interesting, etc. MB is amazing of course, so that is a little tougher.

All of that said, I would rather have one game I really loved than two "safe choices." Most of us still have not had a chance to actually flip Wonka yet. I know I wouldn't trade my TZ for 2-3 games I didn't like as much...

2 months later
#43 4 years ago

Id rather have a bottle in front of me , than a frontal lobotomy !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.95
9,600 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-rather-3?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.