(Topic ID: 136947)

would you put your collection on location to make money

By daddyxxx

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Warbound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

I have pondered taking 4 or 5 of my "B" list titles and routing them. I have one bar that would let me put the whole group in. Here is my issue. I think it was vid1900 that posted awhile back about some of the negatives. One always stuci in my mind. One day 1 or 2 guys walk in wearing coveralls and tell the barmaid its time to service the machine back at H.Q.

You know the rest to this story

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwow:

Yup, except don't route HUO pins, unless you don't care about losing the title of "HUO"

Haven't you heard? You never lose the title. Even with 35,000 plays...even with wood showing through on the playfield...even with slurpee and beer stains under the lock bar, it is still huo!!! Lol, I actually had a person try to convince me of a pin being huo like I mentioned above. Well, cept for the 35,000 plays. Not sure how many it had. I walked 30 seconds after his BS started!

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

.......... Unless your Lloyd and can fix a game by staring at it.

Big deal! If Lloyd was really good he would be able to fix two games at the same time since he has two eyes!!!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Hell no. You really are not making any money until you get enough to pay for the pin itself, plus the maintenance involved you would be lucky to break even at year 5.

I honestly cannot understand how a person can make a profit if they are splitting 50/50 which I read is the usual split. Like someone else mentioned if I did it it would not be for money but would be to perpetuate the hobby. Back to making money...seems like you need tp have your own place so you get 100% of gross, then maybe you can eek teeney weeney profit somehow. It seems it would be safer since you would be there most if not all the time...I really worry about someone taking my pin. Crud I bet two guys coukd have a pin in the back of a pickup truck in a matter of minutes. That scares me something sillyl

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

It is a break even labor of love for me. I do it for the same reasons a lot of people in here have mentioned. You DO NOT make enough money to ever put any in your pocket, if that's what you are asking.
    The money the games I put on location take in, I keep buying items to upgrade them. Things like new plastics, LEDs, springs, sleeves, and rubbers all keep my earning low! Then again, I don't do it to make money. I do it because I ENJOY IT. It's just a mile from my house, I have a key, and I can go play the games for free, whenever I like. Cheaper then storage and I get to share them with others and try to expose people in my town to pinball, that may have never played it before. It's win-win.

That is a win win! Itls pretty cool what you and some other people do like that...just squeaking by but pushing on so others can play. If I ever route some if mine I want to have that attitude too! I feel sorry for the kids now a days. I'm 52 but when I was 16 I had tons of arcades to hang out at...tons of drive in movie theaters too! Every evening and fri sat night was filled with options for having fun!

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from ghostbc:

Yes! Took the collection (21 to start with) down to town 12 years ago and started Lyons Classic Pinball. Yes it is a labor of love. Yes it is the best decision I have ever made . I have been told that my place has been the reason for tons of collections being started, many other pinball businesses being started and even recently been told by some top players that I taught them how to play there first pinball which blew my mind. We do make money. We dont make a ton we do just get by but we have a great community of pinball players who go out of there way to come to our small town just for pinball.
    My advise is follow your heart. When I was thinking of doing this 12 years ago I went to a place in PA and talked to the owner. He was one cranky old dude who said not to do it and went on to tell me it would break all my collector strings and the kids will turn games on when you have them out of order ect. I left there depressed but decided I would be on top of things at my arcade and tell kids who were misbehaving(messing with my games) to stop or they are going to leave.
    12 years later I am so glad I did not listen to that arcade operator .
    My concept was to make the place that I would want to go to, 100% working games, Level games, no running kids, respect for my games. You really have to go out of your way to come to Lyons Classic Pinball and I just thought if I "build it they will come" and they did.
    It is not for everyone but I believe it is the reason for a resurgence in pinball, they have to be out there in good condition for folks who can not afford a game to play or they will have no concept (except for playing on there computer or pad) what it is all about.
    Do it, do it , do it.
    Thanks to all the other arcade owners and operators who really care about pinball.

Quoted from ghostbc:

Yes! Took the collection (21 to start with) down to town 12 years ago and started Lyons Classic Pinball. Yes it is a labor of love. Yes it is the best decision I have ever made . I have been told that my place has been the reason for tons of collections being started, many other pinball businesses being started and even recently been told by some top players that I taught them how to play there first pinball which blew my mind. We do make money. We dont make a ton we do just get by but we have a great community of pinball players who go out of there way to come to our small town just for pinball.
    My advise is follow your heart. When I was thinking of doing this 12 years ago I went to a place in PA and talked to the owner. He was one cranky old dude who said not to do it and went on to tell me it would break all my collector strings and the kids will turn games on when you have them out of order ect. I left there depressed but decided I would be on top of things at my arcade and tell kids who were misbehaving(messing with my games) to stop or they are going to leave.
    12 years later I am so glad I did not listen to that arcade operator .
    My concept was to make the place that I would want to go to, 100% working games, Level games, no running kids, respect for my games. You really have to go out of your way to come to Lyons Classic Pinball and I just thought if I "build it they will come" and they did.
    It is not for everyone but I believe it is the reason for a resurgence in pinball, they have to be out there in good condition for folks who can not afford a game to play or they will have no concept (except for playing on there computer or pad) what it is all about.
    Do it, do it , do it.
    Thanks to all the other arcade owners and operators who really care about pinball.

Two great reasons to go to Colorado now

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I find NF is turned off, because it is "acting crazy", which it indeed was. After running switch tests, a few other tests, staring at the underside of the pf, and jiggling things randomly, I played a few games and it was back to being sane (ugh I wish I had identified an actual solvable problem).

Not a pro but I have had pins freak out on me 3-4 times. Ever time it ended up being connector related. I unplug and replug every connector in the game. I also take a small eyeglass screwdriver and press each wire down firmly in the idc connectors at the boards. Time consuming but has worked every time. Only difference is my freak outs lasted until I did this remedy. Your freakout dissapeared but I wonder if it still might fix it so it does not return? Just a thought friend

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Warbound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-put-your-collection-on-location-to-make-money?tu=Warbound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.