(Topic ID: 215234)

Would you purchase discounted floor model pin after a show?

By Sidekick74

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Cheddar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you purchase discounted floor model pin after a show?”

• No, 400+ plays makes the game old & used 3 votes
      3%
    • No, prefer NIB 6 votes
      5%
    • Yes, save $ on shipping at least 4 votes
      4%
    • Yes, save in shipping and discounted price from distributor 98 votes
      88%
    • Other - added answer for all of the negative and/ or picture posts that are about to come 1 vote
      1%

(112 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 1 year ago

UPDATE: #4 should state save 'on' shipping but unable to edit my poll.

Interested in the results. This came up during our local pinball group and the responses were varied. Love for this to be discussed on upcoming podcasts.

#2 1 year ago

Best way to buy a new pin imo. Literally no surprises and save money.

#3 1 year ago

A few hundred plays is nothing. No worries as they usually have full warranty and support from the distributor. I would do it

#4 1 year ago

Yep, planning on it for GOTG and save a ton of money in the process. Also lets you know whats wrong with pin later, no surprises. Ive found on these show specials, and all nib, that something always needs fixing adjusting. Loose connectors etc..., found having extra guys at shows with knowledge helps fix things quick.

#5 1 year ago

Would I? I already did. I bought a Metallica from TPF in 2013 for use in the tournament area. It was put back on the floor in 2014, in a booth for 2015, and used again in tournament area in 2017.....no issues..

#6 1 year ago

I'm with Frax !

Done it at TPF a few times & not an issue IMO.

Absolutely NO different than taking our NIB/NOB Pins TOO the show after buying them and paying for shipping (not to mention having to WAIT for that "SPECIAL" title to FINALLY ship).

SO save on shipping, get a discount AND get that Special "Must Have" Title early !!

My 02¢

Kim

#7 1 year ago

Best idea ever.

Williams games used to be so poorly assembled, that we would have to run them 24 hours on the "auto burn in" mode.

After a day we would then go through them and fix whatever shook loose.

AND as a super bonus, your game will already have a good start in the dimples required to flatten the playfield!

#8 1 year ago

If you hate saving money and avoiding potential future headaches, sure only buy nib.

#9 1 year ago

I've done it and plan to do it again.

#10 1 year ago

Is there an easy way to get on a list like this? What is the discount typically? I heard that all of the 50+ Stern games that Marco had on free play at MGC were already owned. It was a fantastic show for everyone that wanted time on the new and currently available titles and a great deal for the new owners.
    Iron Maiden is an absolutely fantastic total package. I love everything about it. I’ve never really been an Iron Maiden fan, but their music is a perfect match for the wild play that this pin delivers. Stern really knocked this one out of the park. I can’t wait to try the new features that the premium adds.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sidekick74:

UPDATE:This came up during our local pinball group and the responses were varied. Love for this to be discussed on upcoming podcasts.

Based on the timing I assume this is the same discussion I’ve been following. The negative comment that started the bad feelings was an unsolicited and unnecessary reply to an announcement ... nobody asked for opinions on it.

But to your poll, yes. In fact I have one coming for that event and would bring it even if I had it shipped to my house and paid more as I plan on bringing one of my other games anyway. The discount I was quoted makes it cheaper than the same game used so it makes perfect sense and of course YMMV.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from cletus:

Is there an easy way to get on a list like this? What is the discount typically? I heard that all of the 50+ Stern games that Marco had on free play at MGC were already owned.

I would reach out to the event management and see if any distributors stated they are looking for buyers ( that was how I found out). This also seems like pretty standard stuff for Marco at shows they attend so reach out to them and let them know what show you are attending ... that way you can also ask about discounts (seems to vary slightly by game)

#13 1 year ago

I typically put out advertising about 2 months prior in thw shows thread. Reach out to the distributor for the game you are interested in and see if they have any demos available.

I still have some mmr, woz and hobbit from mgc available at show prices.

#14 1 year ago

I seem to be a magnet that attracts defective items. I got tired of buying something (anything) from the store (any store) only to get it home and unboxed and figure out it was garbage that needed returned.

Now, whenever possible, I buy the floor models that I can see and touch before I drag them home.

If I were in the market for a new pinball machine a show model would be first choice.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

I would reach out to the event management and see if any distributors stated they are looking for buyers ( that was how I found out). This also seems like pretty standard stuff for Marco at shows they attend so reach out to them and let them know what show you are attending ... that way you can also ask about discounts (seems to vary slightly by game)

This is correct. For example if you wanted this deal on a game at the Golden State Pinball Festival you'd contact me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 132.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 139.00
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside