Topic Stats

• 1,994 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

676AC90F-4225-4DFA-9D8D-308D256312A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
20200515_175332.jpg
20200515_175006.jpg
20200515_174703.jpg
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0040 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG

There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 40.
#301 5 years ago

Great deal at $500. You know once Marcos gets the left overs they won't be that price. I'm one of the 20 in on Seawitch and may jump on a second being I have two machines.

#302 5 years ago

Yes the guys that are in on my first new playfield runs. Really are getting them at cost or below, when it's all done. The left over playfields will be sold at $500 US to the distributors, & they have to pick up the freight. The best playfields are going out to the people who have pre paid them.

I will be starting up a email list with your order number ranking. Many are very close together, but they will be sent out by order received first.

#303 5 years ago

Last 4 Star Gazer playfields will have inserts installed this Saturday. Batches will soon be going to the printer. I will have a Seawitch status update from the sign shop that does the cad & cnc work the end of this week.

Still have lots of inserts left from Star Gazer. The other Seawitch ones are stored. Still working on the yellow arrow or sub. It won't be from Foremost Plastics, they want 100,000 minimal order.

003.JPG 004.JPG
#305 5 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it finished, and taking delivery, Great work John and well worth the wait.

#306 5 years ago

I just sent the $500 to reserve one of the remaining Seawitch playfields. I am looking forward to the Star Gazer playfield being delivered as well. It looks like I will have maybe as many as five playfield swaps to do next year...

Keep up the great work John!

If you made a run of Iron Maiden playfields or backglasses, I would pick up a set for sure...

-- Shawn Christian

#307 5 years ago
Quoted from DallasPinball:

If you made a run of Iron Maiden playfields or backglasses, I would pick up a set for sure...
-- Shawn Christian

Check this Shawn

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-iron-maiden-backglass#post-2088547

#308 5 years ago

Picked up 52 inner & outer double card board boxes for Star Gazer playfields. Printer has finally finished the last 8 backglass that were bad. So on a high note this year is all caught up for glass production. All bad ones have been replaced at no charge by me. About 10 in total this year, & about 20 by the printer for my ruined stock.

001-332.JPG
#309 5 years ago

The last Star Gazer to get inserts done is minutes away. Here is the last blank & the 2nd last one getting inserts. The 52 double wall, inner & outer shipping boxes are now in my basement from the trailer. Lucky for us so far lots of rain & no snow! So it looks like playfields start going to the printer in the new year.

Seawitch i'm still waiting to talk with the sign shop about cutting playfields in January. These will be done very quickly!

001-341.JPG 002-47.JPG 003-569.JPG
#310 5 years ago

Merry Christmas John. I hope you are NOT working on Star Gazer playfields today!

#311 5 years ago

Just revisited this thread and I'm excited by the progress. Looking forward to a new Seawitch PF in 2015. Keep up the good work.

Steve

#312 5 years ago

I will be starting up a email list with your order number ranking. Many are very close together, but they will be sent out by order received first.

John did you get the email list together yet? Still trying to raise funds for a second Seawitch PF.

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Merry Christmas John. I hope you are NOT working on Star Gazer playfields today!

Happy Holidays to everyone! Yes i'm doing some stuff, even though I have a bad right shoulder & arm. Drives my wife crazy that I work so much on pinball, & my 48 hour a week regular job.

Here is the last 4 playfields that had the inserts installed last Saturday. Just gave them a final epoxy brush to fill in any gaps. In for drying into the booth, & I will likely try to sand some playfields the next few days.

The printer had to reprint about 30 glass that went bad this year. My whole inventory about 20, & about 10 glass that had shipped to USA (2 in Australia which hurts when shipping is close to $400). So that was a bad year for glass sales. My inventory is back & slowly doing more new glass projects. Stern Iron Maiden for sale, & I believe Lightning will be over the winter.

No I haven't got the email list done. Likely in January with your order date & showing your playfield position.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
015.JPG
002-927.JPG
006.JPG
009.JPG

#314 5 years ago

I do love that Iron Maiden Glass!
Since I broke a pristine Meteor glass yesterday, while moving it to a "safe" place, I'm thinking about retheming the meteor. I may throw a glass like this into it.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
htp://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#315 5 years ago

Chris: Don't forget its a 2 piece set. If someone is good at photoshop, you can make a custom glass.

#316 5 years ago

Happy New Year! Testing out the custom shipping boxes that I got made with 2 Sorcerer restorations going out to USA. Very similar to what most companies use for playfields, double cardboard box. The ones I got seem to be stronger in cardboard strength. Double cardboard wall inner & outer box. So hopefully these will be almost bullet proof for shipping around the world.

Star Gazer playfields getting final inspections & clearing to seal the wood before printing in January.

001-704.JPG 002-787.JPG 003-453.JPG
#317 5 years ago

Getting closer!

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I do love that Iron Maiden Glass!
Since I broke a pristine Meteor glass yesterday, while moving it to a "safe" place, I'm thinking about retheming the meteor. I may throw a glass like this into it.
--
htp://www.Team-EM.com

Hib, Sorry to hear about a great Meteor glass. When I broke a Perfect Nitro glass I cried heavily

#319 5 years ago

I watched my mint Spectrum glass tumble to the floor. Almost like slow motion, I should of tried diving for a save. Once a tech showed us a Flash glass in cold storage, he just moved it gently on the floor to show us & it exploded.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Hib, Sorry to hear about a great Meteor glass. When I broke a Perfect Nitro glass I cried heavily

It was crazy. I thought it was on the floor but it was actually sitting on a part of extension cord. Then it slipped off the cord. Couldn't have fallen more than 3/8". It actually surprised me when it shattered. My first and hopefully last (accidentally) broken backglass.

What is irritating is that I've had totally trashed backglasses that I wanted to throw out. I would set them inside the trash dumpster and hit them hard with a hammer. It took a surprising number of strong whacks to break them. It's all about the direction of force.
--
http://www.Team-EM.com

#321 5 years ago

January 1, 2015

I decided that I will just keep on pushing forward with the playfields, & not get involved with private email updates. So please check in once a week/month, etc. here to see what's going on. Pushing close to 30 of 40 playfields of each pre ordered.

#322 5 years ago

Happy New Year John, everything is looking awesome. i can't wait.

#323 5 years ago

Star Gazer playfields getting the finish hand sanding & QC checks. Any further repairs are done before they move on. Here are the first 6 that were just cleaned with naptha. The 6 will get 2 coats of clear to seal the wood & then go for printing next week. So all 40 have lenses installed.

Seawitch playfields I meet & find out the status for cutting on Thursday. As soon as they are cut they will start having inserts installed.

001.JPG 002.JPG
#324 5 years ago

Seawitch Playfield update: The cad file for cutting is almost complete. They may cut a test next week for my approval. Then all 40 should start cutting later this month.

Star Gazer: I have a bad cold this week, but i'm still trying to get the first batch of 6 ready for printing next week.

#325 5 years ago

Orange juice, warm bed and some good movies. Get well soon, John.

#326 5 years ago

With the temps up there I'm not surprised. Stay warm!! It was only 15 here this morning. I sure wouldn't like the negatives up where you are.

#327 5 years ago

it's been colder than a seawitch's tit

#328 5 years ago

It's been a bad few years for me non stop colds & pneumonia. Seems like I always get bad lately at Texas Pinball Festival. Passing on this year. Got my flu shot as usual, but they didn't get it right this year. Could be being on CPAP machine also. For years they now believe that I stopped breathing 60 - 80 times a night before going on CPAP.

Drinking beer to fight the cold tonight, Boston Lager now. Finished off the Irish ale.

#329 5 years ago

Saturday Update: Still have a cold for a week, but still getting ready for Star Gazer printing next week. First coat of Varethane waterbourne gloss done last night, & second coat going on this morning. You can see the white star rollover inserts which are installed upside down for spraying & then removed before the playfield goes on the drying rack. Plywood starts to bow or warp over time from drying out which is normal. But it means the playfields will be laid flat & be weighted down at the printer. Hopefully to flatten them out for printing. If not they will go to the other printer & be screwed to 1/2" mdf as a they do for my restorations. More work for me if this happens since I have to mask for white & more coats of varethane. We will soon see how it goes through the printing process.

Seawitch cnc test hopefully next week. Their tech has been out for a week with a bad cold. The pop bumper holes will be slightly larger to take newer style like Star Gazer, & will have the 3 notches on the back for older style. The overall size opening difference is very small, which we saw on the cut file for Star Gazer.

I hope to have all the Star Gazer playfields done before the 2 year mark of talking about new playfields, & all Seawitch by early Spring. Seawitch ones will move quickly after the slow learning curve of the first ones. I'm still searching out a new source for quality plywood this year.

I keep showing a playfield with dark veneer spots in the pictures, very few are like this.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

#330 5 years ago

This is so cool!

#331 5 years ago

Printer is getting ready for a test. Pictures when I see how it goes. Might be next week.

#333 5 years ago

I'm ready!!!!

#334 5 years ago

I think everyone is ready for playfields. I will be going to Texas Pinball Festival & see my brother in Austin. Always like the music seen at SXSW, in Austin. Then take in TPF, I'm hoping no cold or pneumonia this year. Plus its summer time weather for me mid March in Texas.

#335 5 years ago

Enjoy your time in Texas with your brother John, we can all wait a little longer for the Playfields. Stay well.

#336 5 years ago

*** Important Notice For Stern Backglass Special ***

The special for prepaid playfield guys getting a super deal on glass is ending March 1, 2015. I stated at the start a deal per glass $175 US shipped to USA/Canada. Other countries I will do actual shipping minus $50 US per glass @ $175 (maximum 2 glass overseas).

This special is well below my actual costs, & is to show my appreciation over the delays or slowness of getting the playfields done.

Choice of Stern glass is Star Gazer, Seawitch, Nineball, Catacomb, & Iron Maiden (1 individual glass $175 US or pair $350 US)

So if you have been thinking about a glass, this is the final deadline. After this the special will be $250 US each shipped to USA/Canada. For the rest of 2015.

I have asked Marco Specialties to bring their pricing in line with my Ebay sales. So if you haven't bought a playfield, & are interested in the glass that I produce. I suggest you place a order with them ASAP!

#337 5 years ago

I got a Star Gazer glass from John and it is really nice. Looks awesome, installed and lit up.

#338 5 years ago

Printer says a Star Gazer test is ready. So I will see in the morning.

#339 5 years ago

I can't wait to see it!

#340 5 years ago

Well I posted earlier with a new thread for those that haven't been following this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-playfields

The main test was to get the printer up to speed on playfield printing. This is the first test & looked very nice. What I noticed right away is the key line for the base white needs to be pulled back, & that white is not needed in the light lense printing. So overall great news to push the playfields through printing quickly. Also the CPR contractor for finish clear coats picked it up within hours. So if everything is ok after the finish clear coat test. Playfields will go quickly from the printer to me, & ready for pickup for clear coating. Next test should be ready next week, & if it looks correct its full steam ahead for printing.

My plan is to offer the first playfield up to the prepaid guys first. So if you are interested let me know, & if there are no problems with the clear coating it will go out quickly. If there is no interest I plan to put it up on Ebay for $600 US + $100 US shipping to USA/Canada. This one will likely be one of a kind & the first production playfield from me. But take into consideration the flaws of printing the first one! Thanks guys for hanging in there, these should get printed & mostly shipped before Texas Pinball Festival.

Seawitch should be cutting very soon, & will get the lenses installed quickly. Be finished over Spring 2015.

004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
021.JPG

#341 5 years ago

Look real good john!

One question... Maybe you already answer but with my poor english... Is there the white under the plastics print? It miss in the test, was it planned for the test?.

Thank's

#342 5 years ago

I just let the printer do the first one to see if white base that is printed first would be hidden. It's not & the printer is very familiar with key lining so you don't see it. With the color span that I use for playfield restoration, it does not print white. So the light lenses receive no white base ink, which is a distraction on the first test. Yes that was my mistake not thinking it was needed in the lense inking.

#343 5 years ago

Ok thank's forthe answer!

#344 5 years ago

I can't stop looking at it, should be beautifull with the clearcoat!

#345 5 years ago

***Star Gazer Playfields Pre Order Deadline is January 25***
A few more orders have come in, & I have to set a firm end order date. If you are on the fence, act quickly! $500 US

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

***Star Gazer Playfields Pre Order Deadline is January 25***
A few more orders have come in, & I have to set a firm end order date. If you are on the fence, act quickly! $500 US

John, You still have mine ready with a glass right ? Don't forget paid you last year at the Texas Pinball Festival.?

#347 5 years ago

Looking great John
Worth the wait

Can't wait to install

ThAnks Pal

#348 5 years ago

The deadline has passed for Star Gazer playfields, & I start to push the bulk of them through printing & clear coating. Here is pictures of the second playfield test & it goes out for finish clear coats. The white has been removed from inside light lenses text or symbol. But there still needs more pull back around the inserts & ink edge. So if the printer gets number 3 correct, he is given the go ahead to fast track the rest.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG
#349 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

still needs more pull back around the inserts & ink edge

John, could you tell those of us with less knowledge of playfield inking what that statement means?

So exciting to see a vibrant unworn Star Gazer playfield!

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

John, could you tell those of us with less knowledge of playfield inking what that statement means?
So exciting to see a vibrant unworn Star Gazer playfield!

What is done is the printer lays down the white ink first. Then the color ink laid on top of the white ink. He pulled it back 3 notches in printer lingo. So now 2 of 2 playfields going through production ramp up at the printer are very nice, but not super nice because of the white showing. I told the printer to pull it back much more, & I'm sure he wants the 3rd one hopefully near perfect.

So in comparison a lot of white visible in the first one, & the second one is better. This should be not seen with black or color bordering the edge of light lenses or playfield border art color.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 40.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside