Topic Stats

• 1,994 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

676AC90F-4225-4DFA-9D8D-308D256312A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
20200515_175332.jpg
20200515_175006.jpg
20200515_174703.jpg
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0040 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG

There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 40.
#251 5 years ago

I'll have to look. Automotive paint codes are different than home depot. They color match to the closest car color in most cases.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I'll have to look. Automotive paint codes are different than home depot. They color match to the closest car color in most cases.

Certainly auto paint codes are not going to match Home Depot.

I was hoping you used the auto paint store's Spectrophotometer to match the paint on the pin, and not just chose the closest auto color.

Then the PPG, Dupont or whatever brand color you had chosen could be mixed up anywhere in the world.

#253 5 years ago

They use a Spectrophotometer, but the computer matches to the closest known car formula. I'll look this weekend.

3 weeks later
#254 5 years ago

Any updates on these SG playfields? Have the test prints been done yet? Looking forward to some pictures of the progress.

#255 5 years ago

Several of us were talking about the play fields at Expo. All 3 of us have them on order. I also wouldn't getting a status update.

Mark

#256 5 years ago

Still under the weather the last 4 weeks. Looking like mid November for Star Gazer test print. I have numerous colds & pneumonia this year. Had a chest x ray on Monday, but no one called me so it looks like i'm not done for yet! 2 bad colds in 4 weeks, missed my flu shot on Tuesday.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Still under the weather the last 4 weeks. Looking like mid November for Star Gazer test print. I have numerous colds & pneumonia this year. Had a chest x ray on Monday, but no one called me so it looks like i'm not done for yet! 2 bad colds in 4 weeks, missed my flu shot on Tuesday.

Get healthy John! Missed you at Expo.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

1 week later
#258 5 years ago

Hope you are feeling better John. Thanks for the update on Star Gazer. any update on the Seawitch play fields?

#259 5 years ago

Update: This week is toast for new playfield production. Busy getting ready pins for Hal-Con Show here in Halifax. Might be 10,000 people going to the show & playing the free arcade.
Great Pinball Limited, has provided pinball machines to play for free & past tournament play.

http://hal-con.com/category/gaming/

Star Gazer playfields will be printed the first batch of 12 towards the end of this month & December, 28 playfields should be printed January & February. All playfields should be shipped this winter.

Seawitch is finally going into pre production at the sign shop. They have to lay out the cut file. I'm hoping these are cut in December. Looking like around March for printing start. All playfields should ship this spring.

Should be pictures & updates at the end of this month. All the contractors are ready to do their part of the production. It's a slow learning curve for us all, but things will get done this winter & spring.

#260 5 years ago

Update: This week is toast for new playfield production. Busy getting ready pins for Hal-Con Show here in Halifax. Might be 10,000 people going to the show & playing the free arcade.
Great Pinball Limited, has provided pinball machines to play for free & past tournament play.
http://hal-con.com/category/gaming/
Star Gazer playfields will be printed the first batch of 12 towards the end of this month & December, 28 playfields should be printed January & February. All playfields should be shipped this winter.
Seawitch is finally going into pre production at the sign shop. They have to lay out the cut file. I'm hoping these are cut in December. Looking like around March for printing start. All playfields should ship this spring.
Should be pictures & updates at the end of this month. All the contractors are ready to do their part of the production. It's a slow learning curve for us all, but things will get done this winter & spring.

Thanks for the update John.

#261 5 years ago

Great news and looking forward to spring 2015. Seawitch playfield and Allentown!

#262 5 years ago

Awesome news John. I finally acquired a SG so I'm ready for it.

Have fun at the show! It's great that you bring games for people to enjoy.

#263 5 years ago

Seawitch Update: The art file & donor playfield are at the sign shop. The cnc code will be done hopefully by the end of the year. Cutting of the playfields should be done in January. I still have to seen if the yellow arrow can be molded. It might be another vendor, not Foremost plastics.

1 week later
#264 5 years ago

Seawitch Playfield Customers: please advise me on pop bumpers. It was suggested to cut the opening the same as Star Gazer. I see a notch on the underside on the donor playfield. Should they stay the same or go Star Gazer?

Star Gazer playfields will start printing in small batches early December.

#265 5 years ago

Seawitch Playfield Customers: please advise me on pop bumpers. It was suggested to cut the opening the same as Star Gazer. I see a notch on the underside on the donor playfield. Should they stay the same or go Star Gazer?
Star Gazer playfields will start printing in small batches early December.

Can you say more about this, or show a pic -- not sure what the pros and cons are?
-mof

#266 5 years ago

I'm looking at the bottom side of an unpopulated Stingray playfield on IPDB, which uses the same pop bumper mechs as Seawitch, and I see the notches you're referring to. Obviously, those notches will need to be cut in the new playfields for the original mechs. To use Star Gazer mechs, the bumper holes need to be just a little larger -- we're talking like 1/16" or 3/32" larger diameter. Very minimal change. The larger opening will not affect the way the original bumper looks, operates or mounts to the playfield in any way, shape or form and the notches will not affect the use of the Star Gazer-type mechs either.

Long story short: Use original Seawitch design for notches and dimples for mounting holes. Enlarge pop bumper openings a smidge to accommodate the plastic base of the Star Gazer type mech. We get the best of both worlds.

Stingray pf back.jpg

#267 5 years ago

My original Star Gazer does not have those notches, Not sure what they would be for looking at the pop bumper assemblies I don't see what they would be needed for.

IMAG0942.jpg
#268 5 years ago

Yes that is what I was thinking, notch like original Seawitch. But cut slightly larger like Star Gazer. That should make everyone happy, which ever pop bumper they want to use (original or newer style).

Star Gazer playfields will not have the notch cut out.

#269 5 years ago

The early style pops (Seawitch and earlier) have a metal base plate that is screwed to the playfield. The metal pop bumper bracket is attached to the base plate with machine screws. The notches are cut to give clearance for the machine screws which extend through the base plate.

The newer style pops (Cheetah and later) use a molded plastic assembly that is attached to the playfield with 4 screws. Since the bracket and base are one molded piece there are no other screws which require notches in the playfield for clearance.

#270 5 years ago

Yes that is what I was thinking, notch like original Seawitch. But cut slightly larger like Star Gazer. That should make everyone happy, which ever pop bumper they want to use (original or newer style).
Star Gazer playfields will not have the notch cut out.

Perfect John, thank you!

#271 5 years ago

Agree with you John - enabling either pop is the best solution.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from sofaspud:

Agree with you John - enabling either pop is the best solution.

Still asking noob questions here. Is it because people may have pop build A or B, or is it because people may have upgraded?

-mof

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Still asking noob questions here. Is it because people may have pop build A or B, or is it because people may have upgraded?
-mof

Classic stern have two pop bumper style, look like they make the switch with the seawitch production because there is pics on the IPDB with both style.

Most poeple like the new style better with snapier response and more reactive pop...

#274 5 years ago

If you think Seawitch is fast now....wait til you play it with the plastic pops.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If you think Seawitch is fast now....wait til you play it with the plastic pops.

I love the pop pen I have now...
I plan to rebuild it soon.
It can be better?
Please link before and after parts...
-mof

#276 5 years ago

John I'm going to want one of these Seawitch playfields when they become available.

#277 5 years ago

It all makes sense now

#278 5 years ago

I have two complete Seawitch's and one extra playfield. All three have the notches.

006.JPG
1 week later
#279 5 years ago

Star Gazer Update: December is still the month some, most, or slim all get printed. 50% are now glued, & the rest will be finished by xmas. So they will get ready for 2 coats of varethane to seal the wood. Same proven way with the restorations done for years, & continue to be done. New playfields will be printed with the OCE that does my glass work for years.

I have a different way of doing production. Here is one thing I do for Rollover inserts. They get glued with epoxy which was used way back by CPR & is still available locally here G2 - 2 part epoxy system. I let the inserts dry for about a day, then I brush more epoxy around the edge & over each insert. These dry for 1 or more days before I sand. The rollovers get masked before I do this, & then I remove to let dry the next day.

001.JPG004.JPG

002.JPG 003.JPG
#280 5 years ago

Thanks for the update John...Love it!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to gofor Pinball Repair Info

#281 5 years ago

Excellent work John, It is all worth the wait.

#282 5 years ago

Props to john for taking this on. Looking forward to being able to restore my seawitch with my new playfield. It is definitely with the wait.
Richard

#283 5 years ago

I have another guy helping out with doing the inserts. All Star Gazer playfields will be finished this stage by xmas. #25 0f #40 inserts installed now. Today I ordered 50 inner & outer cardboard box, double wall similar to the ones used by CPR for shipping. They should be ready before xmas, 10 will be used for Sorcerer restorations going on.

#285 5 years ago

I can wait for my new playfield.

#286 5 years ago

Same Here! Will be worth the wait.

#287 5 years ago

Great news John!

#288 5 years ago

Recently I see all kinds of drama going on about product taking a long time to be finished. I see that my new pinball playfield production could be thrown in the same boat. So this month I will release the numbers on each playfield prepaid. I'm also going to do a monthly private email update of the production status to the owners. Seawitch owners will receive Star Gazer info since it's the same production info, & will let them see all the stages of production.

In the past the CPR finish clear coat contractor tested a Sorcerer restoration playfield. He did all the work after the uv ink playfield was air dried for 1 - 2 weeks. What is done is a light mist coat, & then 2 or more finish clear coats. It will cost me more, but it should speed up the process of getting new playfields out. So later this month we will make sure that this is ok.

For people on the fence about getting a playfield, this is the final month for $500 shipped to USA/Canada, or you pay the extra over seas above $100 for UPS. December 31, 2014 is the ***FINAL*** deadline. Like I have said from the start the best playfields are going out, & what's left will be going out to Marco Specialties 1st (supplier of Foremost Plastic inserts), my France distributor 2nd, & my Australia Distributor 3rd.

If you want to purchase: paypal johngreatwich@outlook.com $500 US & state which one you are purchasing. Please include your phone #.

The way things are going most likely other playfield titles will be coming the rest of 2015. So if it's a sell out for both, not likely more for these titles anytime soon.

#289 5 years ago

Any hints on the other possible titles for 2015 John.

#290 5 years ago

I am wide open to doing anything new in 2015. Either new or restorations. I might be open to doing custom or work on other new playfield projects. It will be very interesting for new stuff next year. I'm really surprised no one has come forward with em playfields, which could be produced in low numbers.

I could also do custom backglass work, some of which has been done. I just did Stern Iron Maiden glass, no interest so far. So who knows what is going on in the market place, it does show I can produce a few on demand as needed. So now you can get either outer or inner glass, or both on demand.

015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG
#291 5 years ago

A restore or repo Williams Alien poker would be great, but I know there would have to be a market to repo or restore.

#292 5 years ago

Iron Maiden glass looks great, another job well done John.

#293 5 years ago

John,
Great work on the Iron Maiden BG, Course you did a great job on my custom Triple Strike for me last year as well. What would be the chance of doing a Bally Cosmos BG (German Version)? I had put on triple thick on mind, but the paint was so badly flaked that it all fell off in big flakes. I do not have any good scans of it nor do i have an american version to use either. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

#294 5 years ago

Keep in mind all Bally & Williams backglass needs to be approved & or sanctioned by Planetary Pinball. So if someone has the art ready to go, I still need to talk with Rick. There are many suppliers plus themselves for production.

I still have to get a Triple Strike glass out to Rick. So if you have a bad one there is hope. Stuck on bowling glass work so far, Lucky Strike, Bowl A Strike, & likely Triple strike.

#295 5 years ago

Is that the Williams Triple strike BG Because I would definitely be in the market for one of those as well as mine is really badly faded color wise otherwise not to bad for peeling/flaking etc.

#296 5 years ago

001-587.JPG 002-767.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG
#298 5 years ago

Hi John, I have sent you a pm.

#299 5 years ago

If only you could do mirror... I'd love a Meteor.

#300 5 years ago

Update: Only 9 Star Gazer playfields left for inserts. Playfields start going to the printer in batches just before xmas. Shipping boxes should be here before xmas. I'm going to send the playfields out for all finish clear coats to the contractor.

Here are the pre order numbers 26 of 40 Star Gazer paid for in advance, & 20 of 40 Seawitch paid for in advance. I will likely reduce Seawitch to a run of 30.

This is it for $500 US each playfields paid in full. So if you are interested paypal: johngreatwich@outlook.com before January 1, 2015.

Left over playfields will be going out to Marco Specialties, some to France, & maybe Australia. I will not sit on finished playfields, & likely will not do more for years unless there is demand.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 40.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside