Topic Stats

• 1,991 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Evets
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

676AC90F-4225-4DFA-9D8D-308D256312A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
20200515_175332.jpg
20200515_175006.jpg
20200515_174703.jpg
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0040 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG

There are 1991 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 40.
#201 6 years ago

Installing inserts on the first 12 playfields. Here is how i'm doing it. They get epoxy to holes for inserts, & I level them with a oval insert. This makes them flush or slightly below the surface. After they are all installed they will get more epoxy to fill in any gaps around the top edge of inserts.

I do a grading system before I start the inserts. Each playfield is inspected & gets a production sticker. A - no flaws in cnc, B - less than 1/4" total surface are of chips around some inserts holes, & C - anything above 1/4" surface area that needs repairs (edge damaged or ripped top maple veneer). So in reality of my production A & B are considered the same for playfield plywood grading.

All inserts are hand inspected by me & sorted. Grade A, B, C, & rejects. I try to use the same for each grade, & if possible use a A grade close to bottom for B if available.

001-816.JPG
002-326.JPG

#202 6 years ago

First 12 playfields have all inserts installed. Next is to seal them & sand them. 2 coats of clear to seal the wood before going to the printer early June. I will check in & see if more playfields are finished cutting.

Wednesday May 21
6 playfields cut topside, & they are busy at the shop. So likely next bunch of cut playfields end of May or early June.

001-230.JPG
002-800.JPG

Thursday - Playfields get some curing time before sanding in the booth. Probably this weekend for sanding.

001-435.JPG
#203 6 years ago

Keep the good work john! Look awesome!

2 weeks later
#204 5 years ago

Update: There are 20 more playfields cut for topside & another 8 more to cut. Turns out the out hole wasn't picked up for further cnc work. It needs to be cut on the bottom side. So when the first 12 playfields are sanded by me with the lense inserts they will be going back for the last correction. I hope to have the first 12 inked early July. I will likely not post pictures until the first batch receive ink.

I will be talking with Marco Specialties to order the yellow arrows required for Seawitch, & get the cad started this month for cnc work. Verify the art is good to go, or I will get it fixed up. Mike Halse if you see this contact me please!

#205 5 years ago

So far I'm happy with the initial 12 playfields slowly going through the production process from myself. Real hands on quality control. I keep repairing any nicks with epoxy during the process. I'm using G2 Epoxy System which CPR was using years ago. Stuff is great & long lasting for storage. Most of the production supplies are bought from Lee Valley.

I have installed the lenses flat as possible to the surface of plywood. I'm happy with this, & only had to drill out 1 yellow 3/4" lense (sunk to low) & 1 roll over (not level). This is radically different than what is done at CPR, lenses are raised above & sanded level with drum sander. My approach is to hand sand with discs. I noticed that I used way too much epoxy above the lenses.

So the next bunch I will barely seal the edges above, so there will be less sanding of lenses. This should lead to less burning of surface of the plywood. Already I notice that I have little burning of shooter lane (or none) because I don't drum sand the entire surface. Any lenses that need more epoxy to seal will get it after initial sanding

My comments are by no means saying my production is superior to any one else. Just how I'm doing it with very low production, & personal hands on production. I'm in contact with the tech who does CNC work at CPR, & he gets to see what I'm up to when he comes by for a visit.

I mask the roll overs for epoxy & clear coats to seal the wood. I use oracle 810 masking, which I have used for almost 9 years.

8 playfields ready, & last 4 should be back for the missing cnc cut for out hole end of this weekend. These will get cut with the other 28.

010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG
#206 5 years ago

Update June 12

First 12 playfields back for missing router in the ball out hole area. These will be cut first so that I can get them sealed & ready for printing later this month. The final 28 playfields are cut topside, & will be done bottom side over the next few weeks.

Here are some pictures of the equipment at my sign shop contractor, & all 40 Star Gazer playfields in production. You can see the laser cutter for cutting future plastics.

001-626.JPG 002-28.JPG 003-647.JPG 004-461.JPG
#207 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You can see the laser cutter for cutting future plastics

Future Star Gazer/Seawitch plastics???

#208 5 years ago

I believe CPR has done plastics, so it won't be me.

#209 5 years ago

Missing router cut done underside the first 12 playfields. Should have them cleared before going to the printer before the end of June. Other 28 should be ready from bottom side cutting next week. Remaining plywood for Seawitch & Dolly Parton conversions stored under the cnc for now to free up space. Looks like 2 - 3 months before I get those going.

001-475.JPG
002-518.JPG
003-195.JPG

#211 5 years ago

I cant wait to pretty up my sg.

#212 5 years ago

Big thanks to Marco Specialties promoting playfield production with lenses. They deal with Foremost Plastics to see what can get done.

#213 5 years ago

How are you handling your star rollover inserts on Star Gazer with regards to clearcoating? I'm working on a CPR Bally Silverball Mania that the star rollover inserts are extremely clogged with clearcoat. I spent about a day gently filing, cutting, scraping away the clearcoat to get the white stars to work smoothly. Are we going to have this same issue on SG?

#214 5 years ago

I like the Star Rollovers that have the little disposable insert in them to keep them from clogging up with clear.

star-rollover.jpg

#215 5 years ago

Roll overs from Marco don't have them & I personally hate them. Previously stated: I mask the roll overs for epoxy & clear coats to seal the wood. I use oracle 810 masking, which I have used for almost 9 years.

When it comes time for finish clear coats. I will talk with the contractor that does all CPR's work & mine. I have a few ideas to sort through.

#216 5 years ago

All you have to do is put the white star in upside and then clear, throw the old star away and it is ready to go no more cleaning out rollovers. I was going to send an email to Kevin. His clear guy is causing huge problems for the collector community when it is very simple during clear coat to do properly.

I just swapped my Fathom and spent 5 hours cleaning out rollovers. Plain stupid.

#217 5 years ago

IMHO, cleaning star rollovers is the worst part of swapping a CPR playfield. I sold my CPR Captain Fantastic because the clear was so thick and I didn't want to spend days cleaning out all of the rollovers. I am afraid to look at the rollovers on my CPR Strikes and Spares as there are TEN of them right in the center of the playfield.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I like the Star Rollovers that have the little disposable insert in them to keep them from clogging up with clear.

star-rollover.jpg 121 KB

How is that disposable insert removed? I have them as shown in the pic an NOS BOPP playfield.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I am afraid to look at the rollovers on my CPR Strikes and Spares as there are TEN of them right in the center of the playfield.

Just cleaning clearcoat out two star rollovers was enough to make me want to scream. I can't even imagine TEN!

Even though they may look fine, the rollovers have to be completely free of clearcoat inside the fins and inside the round receiver the star shaft slides through. It's a royal PITA. If you are not VERY careful and snap off a pointy fin on the insert, you are screwed!

#220 5 years ago

You hopefully gently knock them out. Sounds way easier than it actually is in my previous attempts. Also you have a chance of ripping or pulling the clear coat.

Yes I have heard of flipping the white star upside down. But I wonder if you would still have problems. Seems like a lot of clearance.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

How is that disposable insert removed? I have them as shown in the pic an NOS BOPP playfield.

You put a #3 screwdriver in the hole in the center and rock the insert out.

If you have a thick clearcoat, you score the fins with a razor blade before removal.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You put a #3 screwdriver in the hole in the center and rock the insert out.
If you have a thick clearcoat, you score the fins with a razor blade before removal.

Thanks for the tip Vid!

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You hopefully gently knock them out. Sounds way easier than it actually is in my previous attempts. Also you have a chance of ripping or pulling the clear coat.
Yes I have heard of flipping the white star upside down. But I wonder if you would still have problems. Seems like a lot of clearance.

I flip them upside down and have great luck. Then once you get about 3 to 4 minutes into the drying process pull them. Works like a champ.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

IMHO, cleaning star rollovers is the worst part of swapping a CPR playfield. I sold my CPR Captain Fantastic because the clear was so thick and I didn't want to spend days cleaning out all of the rollovers. I am afraid to look at the rollovers on my CPR Strikes and Spares as there are TEN of them right in the center of the playfield.

I am crying just thinking about that.

#225 5 years ago

Picked up the next 14 playfields after being cut, & final ones should be here next week. Almost ready to seal the first 12 before they go to the printer. 40 in total for Star Gazer.

#226 5 years ago

All the 40 playfields have been cut & are here at my house for production in July. Hopefully playfields are all finish cleared in August or September. Like I have said previously all the pre orders will be Grade A playfields, even If I have to produce more. Hopefully not but we will see when they are finished.

#227 5 years ago

good news

2 weeks later
#229 5 years ago

My Stargazer basket case will be returned to her original glory one day soon. Cant wait for greatwichjohn to finish the playfields.IMG_0970.JPGIMG_0976.JPGIMG_0979.JPGIMG_0983.JPGIMG_0983.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_0974.JPGIMG_0989.JPGIMG_0990.JPG

#230 5 years ago

Sorry for the fist pic being a bit distorted and the double up on 4 and 5. My first time posting pics, and still trying to work out how to edit or remove.

1 week later
#231 5 years ago

28 playfields almost ready for inserts starting next week. I will test one for printing likely late August, & make sure everything is ok.

1 week later
#232 5 years ago

Sweet! You going to the York show John? Save on shipping and bring my Seawitch PF with you.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Sweet! You going to the York show John? Save on shipping and bring my Seawitch PF with you.

I'd love to pick mine up at Expo, but that's doubtful. I don't think John can bring things across the border any easier than just shipping them.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#234 5 years ago

I've rarely seen a Stargazer that didn't have a worn PF, so it must have earned well. Makes you wonder why the production run was so low. I'm guessing it was to get F2K on the line, too bad.

#235 5 years ago

I'm cutting back on shows for the next year or so. Not going to Expo, TPF, & Allentown.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I've rarely seen a Stargazer that didn't have a worn PF, so it must have earned well. Makes you wonder why the production run was so low. I'm guessing it was to get F2K on the line, too bad.

You are right. F2K shows up in Playmeter with quite a bit of pre-production marketing, so it had a lot of hype. F2K was Stern's first talking game, it had multiball, and was a widebody. Operators were pushing for it and Star Gazer was in the way. I guess they were right as F2K ended up as the 2nd highest production pinball from SEI, right behind Meteor.

2 weeks later
#237 5 years ago

Any updated John? All my part is ready to make myself a stargazer!

#238 5 years ago

Summer has been extremely busy as usual with my regular 48 hour job. All 40 Star Gazer playfields are in the basement for production. 12 have the light lenses installed, & 28 in September. The plan is to take 1 of the 12 in to the printer in a couple of weeks for printing. Then send it out to CPR contractor in October. This gives me time to get the rest ready. If everything looks ok, after 1st one is printed, & I further Varethane Gloss things should move forward for hopefully ending this run by the end of the year.

Seawitch cad & cutting to take place in early Fall. Also on my plate is playfield restorations, mainly Sorcerer. If for some reason things don't look good with the printer that lays down white ink. Then I will have to mask for white, & get them printed with the old colorspan 9840 uv inkjet printer.

001.JPG 003.JPG
#239 5 years ago

Looking good, John! Can't wait to get this playfield into my game!

#240 5 years ago

I've asked in other places without an answer so I'll try in this thread.
Does anyone have the color or the star gazer cabinet? like a Sherwin Williams or similar color or code?
I'm almost ready to paint my cabinet and need something real close. Anyone have a color swatch book they can put up to their original?
Much appreciated!

#241 5 years ago

I'm with dgoett
I am also looking for the cabinet color's for the stargazer, I have hunted the internet with no luck at all. Any help with color and or color code's would be very much appreciated.

#242 5 years ago

Take the coindoor off and have the color matched from the unfaded area underneath.

I roll cabs into the store all the time on a dolly. They only need a spot about the size of a dime.

#243 5 years ago

Agreed with above. I have torn mine down yet. But, when I do I will bring the cabinet in for match to the paint place.

#244 5 years ago

vid1900 - great idea, but my cabinet was a Stern Stars and it's all sanded down to bare wood already.
nocreditdot - please share the info here or PM me PLEASE when you have that done.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

vid1900 - great idea, but my cabinet was a Stern Stars and it's all sanded down to bare wood already.

Maybe someone can post the HomeDepot codes for semigloss latex ?

4 weeks later
#246 5 years ago

How's the progress coming?

#247 5 years ago

Just getting back into production, after another cold (had me out for 3 days) & busy month at my regular job. Printing should start early October to make sure everything is ok.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe someone can post the HomeDepot codes for semigloss latex ?

it would be great if a few people could post their findings, hopefully they all match, and then us lazy folks can get the paint colors needed without getting off the couch.

#249 5 years ago

Well I refused to paint mine with Latex, I used automotive paints.
SG.jpg

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Well I refused to paint mine with Latex, I used automotive paints.

SG.jpg 64 KB

Do you still have the brand and color match tag?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, DE
There are 1991 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 40.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside