d26XzOEg (resized).jpg
IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.11.42 PM (resized).png
IMG_0193 (resized).JPG
IMG_0194 (resized).JPG
IMG_0192 (resized).JPG
IMG_0191 (resized).JPG
IMG_0195 (resized).JPG

There are 2390 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 48.
#2351 56 days ago

I have 2 Star Gazer & 2 Seawitch glass in stock now. 5 tempered glass blanks with the printer if people need Lightning, Nineball, Catacomb, or Iron Maiden glass. Still no word on color adjustment for Star Gazer, & very little input for Seawitch.

#2352 55 days ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I have 2 Star Gazer & 2 Seawitch glass in stock now. 5 tempered glass blanks with the printer if people need Lightning, Nineball, Catacomb, or Iron Maiden glass. Still no word on color adjustment for Star Gazer, & very little input for Seawitch.

That dual-layer Iron Maiden glass is a work of art!

c3d6e303fa2df59130a7ca695af7b83f0099bc5b (resized).jpg
#2353 54 days ago

Not sure if this photo helps or not for the Seawitch playfield. I'm not complaining in the least but the colors do seem different. A lot of it is my original has yellowed with age. That being said, the dark blue on the OEM one seems more purple on the reproduction.

20210318_202859 (resized).jpg

#2354 49 days ago

So I am still waiting on any blue corrections for both titles. I have been working on sanding playfields, & getting them ready for printing in April. Pro#16 & 17 are still here for Seawitch discounted.

#2355 49 days ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

So I am still waiting on any blue corrections for both titles. I have been working on sanding playfields, & getting them ready for printing in April. Pro#16 & 17 are still here for Seawitch discounted.

John, I thought you posted previously that you were working with a secret cabal of "insiders" via PM on these? Is that not happening?

#2356 48 days ago

The cavalcade of assholes telling him he's doing it wrong are silent on the how to do it right part. Shocker.

#2357 48 days ago

I am still waiting on my expert taking all the suggestions in. Contact was made to see if anyone had the color of blue picked for both titles who did the playfield art. It has been 40+ years & that info is not known. Just like people stating maybe there is a hint of purple. I have other work that I have also been working on along with the next 24 Star Gazer & 30 Seawitch playfields. All playfields are being sanded & any epoxy repairs done. I was short on some plastic lenses, but they are all done for any missing ones. Still trying to source clear rollover inserts & stars for a special Seawitch playfield. The next hurtle later this year is for 3/4" purple lenses & maybe 1" ones. There are Star Gazer playfields that are being done the original run colors since they are in a hurry for restorations or new reproductions. There is still no art ready for more playfield titles this spring. So it might be summer for future titles. Even Rick at PPS has not got a art package ready. Everyone is busy!

#2358 46 days ago

Here are files of the Star Gazer art old and new. Thoughts? Hopefully they are high res enough. I selected that when uploading.

Old JPG

Uncorrected (resized).JPG

New JPG

Corrected (resized).JPG

#2359 46 days ago

Here is how they matched the colors

Capture (resized).JPGIMG_1292 (resized).JPGIMG_1293 (resized).JPGIMG_1294 (resized).JPGIMG_1295 (resized).JPGIMG_1296 (resized).JPGIMG_1297 (resized).JPGIMG_1298 (resized).JPGIMG_1299 (resized).JPGIMG_1300 (resized).JPGIMG_1301 (resized).JPG
#2360 46 days ago

I'm swapping a Seawitch for a buddy and found a couple holes that appear to be incorrect. Curious if others have encountered this.

The most significant one is the large hole for the right apron screw. It appears to be almost a 1/2" off. I did a quick fit of the apron and this one will almost certainly need to be relocated.

Additionally, the first post on the inside of the left orbit is pre-drilled for a wood screw and is supposed to be a machine screw. There's also a post in the lower left drop target bank that's pre-drilled for a machine screw that's supposed to be a wood screw.

Besides that, the topside holes seem pretty spot-on.

IMG_7126 (resized).jpgIMG_7128 (resized).jpgIMG_7118 (resized).jpgIMG_7120 (resized).jpg

#2361 46 days ago

More info passed along about Seawitch. Thanks to chuckwurt for uploading the info for me from the expert. I will look at the Seawitch donor for cnc on Monday for holes.

#2362 46 days ago
Quoted from erichill:

I'm swapping a Seawitch for a buddy and found a couple holes that appear to be incorrect. Curious if others have encountered this.
The most significant one is the large hole for the right apron screw. It appears to be almost a 1/2" off. I did a quick fit of the apron and this one will almost certainly need to be relocated.
Additionally, the first post on the inside of the left orbit is pre-drilled for a wood screw and is supposed to be a machine screw. There's also a post in the lower left drop target bank that's pre-drilled for a machine screw that's supposed to be a wood screw.
Besides that, the topside holes seem pretty spot-on.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's funny but tonight I was thinking of asking the group about this very thing. Repro PF's always have some quirks. Mainly due to what ever the condition of the donor PF was in. The hole that was supposed to be wood thread may have been stripped and drilled on the donor, especially if it was for a mini post. Wood thread hole that should be a "through hole" is an easy fix. The apron should hide the other hole I would guess?

#2363 46 days ago

Stern Star Gazer:
Green/Grey color
IMG_0001[1] (resized).JPG
or
IMG_0002[2] (resized).JPG
I hope this could help.
I know you have to take into considerations to age, oxidation, and clear coat aging.

#2364 45 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It's funny but tonight I was thinking of asking the group about this very thing. Repro PF's always have some quirks. Mainly due to what ever the condition of the donor PF was in. The hole that was supposed to be wood thread may have been stripped and drilled on the donor, especially if it was for a mini post. Wood thread hole that should be a "through hole" is an easy fix. The apron should hide the other hole I would guess?

Agreed, I don't think any of these are significant issues. Mainly just wanted to flag it for others in case it hadn't been mentioned.

#2365 45 days ago

So I had a look at the donor used for cnc. Looks like the sign shop that did the work screwed the holes up for the apron. So I will fill in the 30 next ones, & drill them myself. I fixed the 20 earlier Seawitch that had holes drilled through for the shooter gauge, & the owners will have to dimple them when they get the last 20. These were fixed on the 30 in production now. The left target bank hole drilled through is on the donor, so previous playfields all have this. I will epoxy the hole for the 30 in production. So these will be corrected on future playfields before cnc.
So keep your color suggestions for blue or the star coming in. I will set a deadline of April 10, with the goal to test print mid April. I will then go with what my expert suggests. This is it, there will not be any further corrections!

IMG_0191 (resized).JPGIMG_0192 (resized).JPGIMG_0195 (resized).JPG

IMG_0194 (resized).JPGIMG_0193 (resized).JPG

#2366 45 days ago

Kudos vec-tor pantone swatch as matching reference .

40 years field service tech xerographics my background .

Color matching very difficult. The media printed on also plays a factor . Pasntone swatches printed on white commercial spec known uniformity brightness. Unless paint adequate thickness the " hue " from the underlayment has a effect on output color . That's why production color printers calibrate to media being printed for their job requirement .

Trying to simulate color correction solely off a monitor quite challange since emmitive ( monitor ) and reflective ( paper or playfield ) hue appears different .

Color correction easy to say incorrect.
Very tough to correct .

Class dismissed .

Shane

PS would be nice if there was legacy info what colors the original artist used .

#2367 43 days ago

There are 2 Star Gazer & Seawitch glass ready to ship if needed. Working on playfields. Still 2 Seawitch discount playfields ready to ship.

1 week later
#2368 33 days ago

Everything is the same as my last post except 1 Star Gazer glass is sold with a playfield in production. There are 5 Star Gazer being printed the same original colors & are spoken for. I continue to prep playfields for printing. ***Very little further suggestions on blue colors for the playfields. Like I have said the 15th is the last day for suggestions, & then I switch to the final versions!***
There is still no art finished for the 3rd or more titles. Hopefully something will be ready in the next few months.

#2369 29 days ago

So much for figuring out correct colors by what you see on a webpage.

On the left is my new repro Nine Ball play field. On the right is another pinsider's new repro Nine Ball play field.

They are the exact same play fields from the same run. But you would not know it by looking at the colors as represented from different cameras and different lighting.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.11.42 PM (resized).png

#2370 29 days ago

I reached out to John directly about this earlier and he suggested sharing with the larger group.

I finally had some time to dive back into my Seawitch swap and I'm noticing the hole for the lower left flipper bushing seems to be drilled too close to the hole for the inlane guide. When I center the bushing in its hole, the flipper rubber binds against the end of lane guide. I can cheat the the bushing all the way down towards the front of the game, but even with this adjustment it just barely clears the guide and gets a bit of ball hop on the transition.

Here are some pics of what I'm seeing:
https://imgur.com/a/Px1Vp0h

Last 2 are a framing square against the edge of the playfield. The holes for the inlane guides are perpendicular to the edge of the playfield. The left bushing hole seems to be at least 1/16" closer to the back of the playfield.

Curious if others have encountered this, and if so, how you've addressed it. Seems like the best way would be to slightly enlarge the bushing hole and cheat it another 1/16" or so down.

Thanks!

#2371 29 days ago
Quoted from erichill:

I reached out to John directly about this earlier and he suggested sharing with the larger group.
I finally had some time to dive back into my Seawitch swap and I'm noticing the hole for the lower left flipper bushing seems to be drilled too close to the hole for the inlane guide. When I center the bushing in its hole, the flipper rubber binds against the end of lane guide. I can cheat the the bushing all the way down towards the front of the game, but even with this adjustment it just barely clears the guide and gets a bit of ball hop on the transition.
Last 2 are a framing square against the edge of the playfield. The holes for the inlane guides are perpendicular to the edge of the playfield. The left bushing hole seems to be at least 1/16" closer to the back of the playfield.
Curious if others have encountered this, and if so, how you've addressed it. Seems like the best way would be to slightly enlarge the bushing hole and cheat it another 1/16" or so down.
Thanks!

good to know, sounds like i'll have to enlarge the bushing hole when i do mine

#2372 29 days ago

Yes please let me know if you see something. The next 30 Seawitch that were cnc (cut) I am trying to fix some cnc drill holes that are off or wrong. This is the last day for color suggestions. To the very few providing input THANKS! The last 5 days I have been slowed with a left sprang foot I think.
Here is just 1 of the original lense off from the original Seawitch donor playfield. So many were off during regular production back in the day.

IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
#2373 29 days ago
Quoted from erichill:

Thanks!

The left side will cause serious ball hop. Don't move the bushings. That will mess with your flipper action. You need to move the ball guide. It is easy to do, but you will be left with a small hole you will need to fill with wood dowel and then try to find some paint to match and touch up the hole.

If anybody wants to know how to move a ball guide the easy way, then speak up.

I had to do this on my Big Game several years ago. It is not hard to do.

But don't move your flipper bushings.

d26XzOEg (resized).jpg
#2374 29 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The left side will cause serious ball hop. Don't move the bushings. That will mess with your flipper action. You need to move the ball guide. It is easy to do, but you will be left with a small hole you will need to fill with wood dowel and then try to find some paint to match and touch up the hole.
If anybody wants to know how to move a ball guide the easy way, then speak up.
I had to do this on my Big Game several years ago. It is not hard to do.
But don't move your flipper bushings.
[quoted image]

How does moving the bushing mess up the flipper action on a new playfield? The flippers aren’t installed yet. It is clear in the above post the bushing hole is slightly off. I just checked my playfield and it is the same way. Getting the flippers square with each other is key and the only way to do that is to correct the bushing hole or possibly shave down the side of the bushing a bit. 1/16” isn’t much but it needs to be addressed.

#2375 29 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

How does moving the bushing mess up the flipper action on a new playfield? The flippers aren’t installed yet. It is clear in the above post the bushing hole is slightly off. I just checked my playfield and it is the same way. Getting the flippers square with each other is key and the only way to do that is to correct the bushing hole or possibly shave down the side of the bushing a bit. 1/16” isn’t much but it needs to be addressed.

I'm sorry. I missed the part about the bushing hole being off. I just saw the picture and assumed the ball guide was mis-located. Sorry.

#2376 29 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm sorry. I missed the part about the bushing hole being off. I just saw the picture and assumed the ball guide was mis-located. Sorry.

No worries - all is forgiven. Does anyone have any feedback about my idea of shaving down the side of the bushing to get the 1/16” needed to make this work? Classic Sterns usually have a brass washer between the bushing and flipper anyway. It might just be enough to make it work without tweaking the wood.

#2377 29 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

No worries - all is forgiven. Does anyone have any feedback about my idea of shaving down the side of the bushing to get the 1/16” needed to make this work? Classic Sterns usually have a brass washer between the bushing and flipper anyway. It might just be enough to make it work without tweaking the wood.

There might be enough meat on the bushing hole wall to take some off with out risking a breakout. Bushings are cheap; it is worth a try.

The only problem is if you have to replace the bushings in the future then you will have to mod the replacement bushing, as well. This would be my reason for moving the hole in the play field.

#2378 29 days ago

One additional thing to consider - flipper bats on classic Sterns rest on the alignment pins. Moving the position of the bushing without moving this pin will change the at-rest angle of the bat very slightly. Not sure if 1/16" is enough to create a noticeable difference, but there would be some amount of change.

I suppose you could just pull the pins, but might look weird to not have them there.

#2379 28 days ago
Quoted from erichill:

One additional thing to consider - flipper bats on classic Sterns rest on the alignment pins. Moving the position of the bushing without moving this pin will change the at-rest angle of the bat very slightly. Not sure if 1/16" is enough to create a noticeable difference, but there would be some amount of change.
I suppose you could just pull the pins, but might look weird to not have them there.

I pull the pins on mine. The holes are barely noticeable.

#2380 26 days ago

I ended up enlarging the hole slightly with a Dremel sanding drum. Just enough to get the rubber clear of the ball guide. No more binding, no more hop, and flipper alignment still looks good with the calibration pins installed.

IMG_7220 (resized).jpgIMG_7217 (resized).jpgIMG_7215 (resized).jpg
#2381 26 days ago
Quoted from erichill:

I ended up enlarging the hole slightly with a Dremel sanding drum. Just enough to get the rubber clear of the ball guide. No more binding, no more hop, and flipper alignment still looks good with the calibration pins installed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'll likely just do the same - Thanks for showing your results.

#2382 26 days ago

Good to see! Star Gazer playfields still going out. I will post pictures of darker blue versions for both hopefully the end of the month or early May. Seawitch Pro#17 is sold & going to Australia. #16 is still ready to go out.

#2383 25 days ago

Here are the 2 latest Star Gazer playfields that were painted gray on the back today & boxed for shipping. Another 3 are at the printer.

IMG_0213 (resized).JPGIMG_0214 (resized).JPGIMG_0215 (resized).JPG
#2384 19 days ago

It will likely be another week before final color corrections for blue are determined. 3 Star Gazer playfields are sold & should be going for finish clear coats next week. I am working on another 5 Star Gazer playfields for printing the end of next week & Seawitch playfields for the first week of May. So hopefully the new color corrections are ready to go for May production. There is still no 3rd playfield title ready to go this Spring as art is still being worked on (Firepower 2, Big Game, & a EM title from PPS).

#2385 19 days ago

I'm looking forward to a Big Game playfield being reproduced. I just picked one up and the playfield is pretty worn.

#2386 17 days ago

The art has been corrected for Seawitch playfields first, & Star Gazer is to come next. The color file will go to the printer this week. My expert has been in contact with the Seawitch artist . He spoke to Bob Timm about it and he thinks the dark blue is a bit darker than he intended, but it has been a long time and he has no notes on what color he originally used. The artist who did Star Gazer did not respond to requests.
I just picked up the 3 Star Gazer playfields sold from the printer, & in for finish clear coats this week. The next group of 3 - 6 Star Gazer playfields getting ready this week for printing. 1 is sold. Most will remain the original version unless thhe art correction arrives in time. Seawitch playfields getting ready for the first part of May with new color adjustment. 1 discount Seawitch playfield still here ready to go out, almost 3 months now.

#2387 16 days ago

We just got hit with more restrictions with the 3rd wave of Covid. So hopefully next week the 3-6 Star Gazer playfields go in if the printer is open. I get my first Covid shot Friday. All Malls, & bars are closed. Take out only & food or liquor stores at 25% capacity. We are restricted to our County for travel only, & anyone traveling is 2 weeks isolation. We are lucky less than 100 deaths in 1 million, but they do not want to stress our free health care system!

#2388 10 days ago

3 Star Gazer back from finish clear. 2 were good & 1 had nozzle spatter to a blue lense in the star on left. This happens & I just discount it heavy. This playfield also has tiny vertical lines in the veneer in different areas. The next 6 still working on. Sanded 5 again to redo the 2 coats of varethane to seal the playfields for printing. Working on getting a bunch of Seawitch ready for darker blue hopefully later this month.

IMG_0221 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG

#2389 9 days ago

So there is only interest in regular Star Gazer playfields until new darker blue versions for both titles hopefully this month. So the next 2 weeks 6 playfields & a few more backglass get done. I am getting Seawitch playfields ready for printing in a couple of weeks or when I get the finished color correction. Still waiting on the art corrections for both titles. Same with art for my 3rd title.

1 week later
#2390 2 days ago

The last few weeks we are on tighter restrictions with the 3rd wave of Covid in Nova Scotia. You cannot leave the county (City)! No bars, in dining, & restricted liquor sales hours. Only food stores open, malls & personal services are closed. I still go to my workshop daily & continue getting playfields ready.

There are 2390 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 48.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside