New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 48087)

New Star Gazer & Seawitch Playfield Production

By greatwichjohn

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,120 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,147 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0013 (resized).JPG
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
IMG_0010 (resized).JPG
IMG_0012 (resized).JPG
DYwAkCreduEl_306_1200 (resized).jpg
IMG_0009 (resized).JPG
IMG_0008 (resized).JPG
IMG_0007 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_4448 (resized).JPG
IMG_4447 (resized).JPG
IMG_0004 (resized).JPG

There are 2120 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 43.
#2101 42 days ago

This stuff happens more than you would think for tempered glass. People do not read the requirements, only the size! So hopefully they replace it quick, & I will order more for this year. I am ready to get the last 4 Star Gazer ready for sealing, & working on the 20 Seawitch.

IMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPG
#2102 42 days ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

This stuff happens more than you would think for tempered glass.

Glass by Walmart? LOL

DYwAkCreduEl_306_1200 (resized).jpg
#2103 40 days ago

Still with my health problems all playfields here should ship by December. Start up with another 20 of Star Gazer & Seawitch before the end of 2020.

#2104 40 days ago

Still with my health problems all playfields here should ship by December. Start up with another 20 of Star Gazer & Seawitch before the end of 2020.

Are the Seawitch playfields all spoken for? I might want one for a future restore.

#2105 40 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Are the Seawitch playfields all spoken for? I might want one for a future restore.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/42#post-5853198

Some pre-paid 7 years ago and are still waiting.
The price for a pf has gone up over the years, not sure what it is now.
$600 + shipping? $700 + shipping?

Seems John usually has around 5 pfs in various stages at any give time.
5 getting cut at cnc-5 getting inserts glued in and sanded-5 sent to printers for inking-5 at clear coat guy.
When the batches come back to John he inspects them for defects, people who pre-paid get first dibs.

Pfs with defects get offered down the pre-paid list, then down the 'I'm interested' list.
Your best bet is to commit to wanting one in a post, and the kind gentleman who keeps track as in the link above will add you to the list.
Good Luck

#2106 40 days ago

duplicate post

1 week later
#2107 31 days ago

Here is pictures of the playfields in production. I picked up the lone Star Gazer from the printer. Had to do some more weep hole repairs around lenses to 1 test Seawitch & 4 remaining Star Gazer. Still doing epoxy repairs to the first 20 production ones. Finally after 2+ weeks finally managing my constant pain & poor sleep. Saw my doctor on Friday, sending me again for hip x-ray since the last one was 2019 (had a mri done 2019).

Still trying to get what is here at the shop done & shipped before xmas 2020. My early retirement was October 7 from my 6 day a week job of 24+ years. So now I can do pinball or other service work in the future until I drop dead! Not much of a pension for my wife & I (56 years old).

For 2021 I still hope to meet any demand for these 2 titles. But it is extremely hard to get lenses molded. Marco Specialties is one of the few trying with myself to get Northern Precision Plastics involved. Foremost Plastics is even harder to deal with. So until I can source the few large number lenses. I will not be cutting anymore playfields. CPR got 700 of the yellow arrows for Stern production from me this Fall.

IMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0011 (resized).JPGIMG_0012 (resized).JPG
#2108 31 days ago

Here is pictures of the playfields in production. I picked up the lone Star Gazer from the printer. Had to do some more weep hole repairs around lenses to 1 test Seawitch & 4 remaining Star Gazer. Still doing epoxy repairs to the first 20 production ones. Finally after 2+ weeks finally managing my constant pain & poor sleep. Saw my doctor on Friday, sending me again for hip x-ray since the last one was 2019 (had a mri done 2019).
Still trying to get what is here at the shop done & shipped before xmas 2020. My early retirement was October 7 from my 6 day a week job of 24+ years. So now I can do pinball or other service work in the future until I drop dead! Not much of a pension for my wife & I (56 years old).
For 2021 I still hope to meet any demand for these 2 titles. But it is extremely hard to get lenses molded. Marco Specialties is one of the few trying with myself to get Northern Precision Plastics involved. Foremost Plastics is even harder to deal with. So until I can source the few large number lenses. I will not be cutting anymore playfields. CPR got 700 of the yellow arrows for Stern production from me this Fall.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Best of luck with everything John! You've been an asset to the community for a long time.

#2109 31 days ago

My early retirement was October 7 from my 6 day a week job of 24+ years.

I hope this will help with your health issues and also reduce some stress for you.

1 week later
#2110 21 days ago

I go to the shop almost every day & peg away. Finally sleeping better the last week, & not much hip & leg pain. I see my surgeon the end of the month, & will get x-rays again for my hip.
My goal is to have all the playfields at the shop done before xmas & gone. The 20 Seawitch production playfields are getting final epoxy repairs around lenses. Should see them going for printing mid November - early December. I will be ordering the needed lenses in December from Northern Precision Plastics. More Seawitch & Star Gazer playfields will be cut in December.
Working through my health issues, but I am happy to retire from nearly 25 years with my City. Not missing the grind of 6 day a week, 48 hours straight time in my union contract. The stress has gone from having to deal with this job! Still happy to spend my retirement working on pinball, & other amusement stuff.

Listened to Kaneda about Mirco Playfields. His theory about uv inkjet printing is wrong. My best guess is that the playfields are not being allowed to cure properly over time. The biggest thing I have said for about 12 years is you do not finish clear coats until there is no evident ink smell! Also maybe not enough sealer coat is being done before inking the playfields. CPR & Mirco have switched to uv inkjet production. It still is not 100% bullet proof for production contrary to what is said. Also there are all kinds of variables in playfield production. Which I find interesting being in the smallest group of playfield manufacturers.

#2111 21 days ago

Listened to Kaneda about Mirco Playfields. His theory about uv inkjet printing is wrong. My best guess is that the playfields are not being allowed to cure properly over time. The biggest thing I have said for about 12 years is you do not finish clear coats until there is no evident ink smell! Also maybe not enough sealer coat is being done before inking the playfields. CPR & Mirco have switched to uv inkjet production. It still is not 100% bullet proof for production contrary to what is said. Also there are all kinds of variables in playfield production. Which I find interesting being in the smallest group of playfield manufacturers.

i really wonder what Spooky is doing different on their side... It seems they hinted that less CC is better... similar to the WMS/Bally day.

1 week later
#2112 9 days ago

Had to focus on some service work since my last post. The local operator has restrictions on operations, & has had a location shut down for months. The last 2 days I have been fighting a cold, & hopefully see my surgeon on Friday. Met with my cardboard box manufacturer & placed a order for 50 outside playfield box later this month. They will be moving to another location early December along with the equipment. So the 24 inside box are left to get out the playfields this year 2020. The tempered glass arrived at the printer late last week, & should start printing. The lone Star Gazer is going out, & the last group is still getting ready for printing. The 20 Seawitch production should still be printed this year & hopefully all cleared & gone by xmas. I will update on the 23rd, a month before xmas.

IMG_0013 (resized).JPG
#2113 9 days ago

Had to focus on some service work since my last post. The local operator has restrictions on operations, & has had a location shut down for months. The last 2 days I have been fighting a cold, & hopefully see my surgeon on Friday. Met with my cardboard box manufacturer & placed a order for 50 outside playfield box later this month. They will be moving to another location early December along with the equipment. So the 24 inside box are left to get out the playfields this year 2020. The tempered glass arrived at the printer late last week, & should start printing. The lone Star Gazer is going out, & the last group is still getting ready for printing. The 20 Seawitch production should still be printed this year & hopefully all cleared & gone by xmas. I will update on the 23rd, a month before xmas.
[quoted image]

I trust you will get some good news from your surgeon, John.

#2114 6 days ago

4 Star Gazer & 1 last Seawitch test going to the printer. Very close to pushing through the 20 Seawitch production playfields over the next few weeks to the printer.

#2115 4 days ago

The playfields got to the printer & I got 4 Star Gazer & 2 Seawitch backglass. Cardboard outside box (50) for playfields ready for pick up next week. Got to see my surgeon today. I will have to wait until my right hip is extremely bad, he said it could be 9 months or 9 years. I have to just keep active until I can barely move, or the pain gets really bad. The 20 Seawitch production playfields should all be at the printer the first 3 weeks of December, & hopefully all gone before the end of the year. 12 more Star Gazer playfields will be cut early December, & 24 Seawitch before xmas. The lense order will be going out the end of the month.

#2116 4 days ago

Up early, & will up the next Star Gazer cnc order to 20 playfields over the next few weeks. Hopefully this takes care of any remaining demand for the next 6 months, & start ramping up Seawitch over the winter months to meet that demand.

#2117 4 days ago

I will have to wait until my right hip is extremely bad, he said it could be 9 months or 9 years. I have to just keep active until I can barely move, or the pain gets really bad

That does not sound good. I'm sorry to hear this.

#2118 3 days ago

Not so bad surgery is free in Canada.

#2119 3 days ago

There’s no free lunch.
Medical is paid with taxes

Wish you well John.

#2120 3 days ago

Not so bad surgery is free in Canada.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,300 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Shepherdstown, WV
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
There are 2120 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 43.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside