Topic Stats

• 1,991 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Evets
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

676AC90F-4225-4DFA-9D8D-308D256312A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
20200515_175332.jpg
20200515_175006.jpg
20200515_174703.jpg
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0040 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG

There are 1991 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 40.
#151 6 years ago

I was blown away by how nice the playfield turned out in Talon2000's Star Gazer. My Star Gazer was on the other end of the classic Stern row at the Texas Pinball Festival. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new playfield for my Star Gazer! Thanks for making them and keep up the good work!!

-- Shawn Christian

#152 6 years ago

***IMPORTANT UPDATE INFO FOR PRE ORDER BUYERS OF STAR GAZER PLAYFIELDS***

The final deadline for getting in the $500 US pre order is April 30, 2014 & May 31, 2014 for Seawitch! Shipping is on me to USA/Canada & discounted for other country.

Those that are in the pre order group will be able to buy any Stern backglass that I produce for $175 US each, & any Williams or Gottlieb glass for $200 each. Free shipping on me to USA/Canada, discounted shipping other country. 1 to 3 glass in a box. Offer ends December 31, 2014

You can get glass for others in the same box, & shipped to your address.
Stern: Star Gazer, Seawitch, Nine Ball, & Catacomb
Gottlieb: Eye Of The Tiger, Gaucho, Aloha, Happy Go Lucky, Sweet Sioux
Williams: Lucky Strike, Bowl A Strike, pending Triple Strike

It won't be extended again, & likely will be priced minimum $600 + shipping.

There are around 30 Star Gazer, & 10 Seawitch pre orders. I plan on cutting around 40 initial Star Gazer playfields.
I'm slowly coming around to how slow the process of start up is for playfields. This will be a lot of personal hands on work for production by myself. So likely 1 - 3 months here for glueing, drilling, sanding, pre clear for printing.

I have done work in the past on some other playfield production, & years (8) in the restoration process. Some things will be done differently like small pilot holes for a guide for screw holes. Some holes I will drill myself from the pilot holes since I'm limited on the first cnc at this sign shop.

What I can say is more time & detail should be shown by myself for production. I plan on separating even the same color & size light lenses. Keeping those ones with the same stamp id as much as I can on the same playfield. This isn't mass production of many playfields a year.

The only hold up right now is waiting on the bit to cut the shooter lane. I'm going over this final test on plastic for all the holes & lenses. The lip for the lenses to rest on is very close to the thickness. They will be epoxy glued in, & all my playfields will be electric hand sanded.

The OCE that does my backglass will be used for playfield production. 2 hits of white, & 2 hits of color.

I really appreciate the support & patience of the guys showing confidence in pre order & paying for their future playfield! Thanks again, & I look forward to producing many more titles.

Pictures will be posted as I go through different production schedules.

005-687.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG
#153 6 years ago

Hey John, always good to see you marching on with these projects. I agree with you that this is the future for small run parts, but it's tough being a pioneer!

Was the reprinted Star Gazer sanded and then printed from scratch or was it done over the remaining art?

Are you still looking for custom projects as well? Someday my home-brew machine will be done, and ready to print!

#154 6 years ago

That restoration was quickly sanded down (bare), prepared for ink, & inked just before I left for Texas. It was cleared & installed in days for the show. Blows away people saying wait a month before playing!

I talked with Marc from Marco Specialties who will likely be selling my playfields later. He has many old playfields that might be used for donors in the near future. I'm open for doing a wide variety of titles & wide body games but I need the art files. At this time I prefer to do Stern & custom/conversion pins, open to Gottlieb & other ones. I would rather wait to do Bally/Williams until I know it's a definite go.

011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG
#155 6 years ago

Looks great so far John. Are you going to be at Allentown this year?

I hope Nine Ball playfields are in the works!

#156 6 years ago

I'll need a Nine Ball playfield and a Catacomb someday.

#157 6 years ago

I would love to do many Stern playfields. But most people know I have no art talent. It's hard to get people on board over the years with the massive art/production team at CPR. I'm a alternate for production & willing to work with people on low demand projects. I am a licensee for Gottlieb & Planetary Pinball for backglass. Which should allow playfield production if the title is available or more production is allowed.

#158 6 years ago

Should have nice backglass scan for you soon! Old stern classic, cruse scan!

#159 6 years ago

I used automotive clear, and yes it was a rush clear job. I added a little more hardner to the mix. It should only take 7 days for a full cure. The real trick is that it's printed rather than screened. So the ink requires very light coats of clear to start otherwise it will eat the ink. once you have a good coat then you can lay it like normal.

The colors are spectacular.

I'm very pleased with what John was able to do in a hurry, and so were even the most die hard Stern fans. So I can only imagine what a final product from him will be.

Stargazer.jpg

#160 6 years ago

Yes it was outstanding work on your part & a great clear job. I had the school of hard knocks with body & sign shops trying to rush the process over the first 3 years. I tell all interested manufacturers to take your time in doing clear coats with uv ink!

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I used automotive clear, and yes it was a rush clear job. I added a little more hardner to the mix. It should only take 7 days for a full cure. The real trick is that it's printed rather than screened. So the ink requires very light coats of clear to start otherwise it will eat the ink. once you have a good coat then you can lay it like normal.
I'm very pleased with what John was able to do in a hurry, and so were even the most die hard Stern fans. So I can only imagine what a final product from him will be.

Stargazer.jpg 95 KB

Wow!

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

What have bulbs have you used on the playfield in this picture? Looks gorgeous!

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

What have bulbs have you used on the playfield in this picture? Looks gorgeous!

I use #44 on the GI, The plain LED from www.pinballlife.com that match the inserts, and I built Cool white Star post led lights.

#164 6 years ago

How do you build the star post led lights, and what color star posts do you install them in? In your picture they fit in very well with the playfield color scheme!

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

How do you build the star post led lights, and what color star posts do you install them in? In your picture they fit in very well with the playfield color scheme!

Well I make circuit boards, so I based the design on these
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/spl_kit.html

I used the original star posts.

1 week later
#166 6 years ago

Important Info for guys on Star Gazer & Seawitch pre orders. Please email me at my new email account. My Hotmail info is all gone. johngreatwich@outlook.com

Copy of paypal or email correspondence. Please make sure it has your mailing address & phone info. Thanks

On top of that my month long cold continues & I'm now got pneumonia.

I will compile a new hard copy list of those that have paid for playfields. It looks like May for Star Gazer playfields to be cut, & June for Seawitch.

#167 6 years ago

Email send!

#168 6 years ago

email sent. I have the double ordered. I need em both.

#169 6 years ago

Email sent. Can't wait to see the Seawitch play field. Thanks again John.

#171 6 years ago

Email sent.....I'm looking forward to the Seawitch playfield as well.

#172 6 years ago

Well after a year of getting geared up for production. 1st projects are always the hardest, & way too optimistic on production time lines. Things will finally move forward at a good pace early May after I return from Allentown.

Please keep emailing me johngreatwich@outlook.com to verify your on the pre order list & have paid!

Starting in May all the guys on the pre order list will get private updates. I would like to keep my production techniques & process private. People produce playfields very differently for production & quality control. So I will ask that people don't post my info or video. Please keep it private!

Everything that is going on with production will be disclosed privately to those who have paid for playfields. You will see all that is happening, how things are done, & the whole process of production.

I plan on making extra playfields for each title. Hopefully this will mean that you get a Grade A to A+ playfield, Grade B will be minor problems, & Grade C will be major problems will go for sale after everyone has received theirs. Also I will be holding on to extra Grade A playfields for a few months in case there are any problems. Playfields will get a sticker with my info under the new playfield, & will have a grading stamp on the bottom side. This should hopefully lead to less issues down the road if guys are reselling the playfields (grading from finished condition before shipping).

As always thanks to you all that have signed on from the start to the deadline for SG this month & Seawitch end of May.

#173 6 years ago

Awesome news!

#174 6 years ago

Hope you feel better soon, John. This winter's been a bitch.

#175 6 years ago

I cant wait for both.

#176 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

1 week later
#177 6 years ago

Here is the info you guys have been waiting for. The shooter lane was done today & looks great. The plan is to do the first four playfields by the time I return from Allentown show. If everything is ok, the rest of the playfields get cut.

001-593.JPG 002-969.JPG 003-194.JPG
#178 6 years ago

Look good john! Keep the good work!

#179 6 years ago

I checked with the sign shop. The first 4 playfields were to be cnc'd today. I will check in the morning & if everything looks ok I will get 36 more cut while I'm in Allentown.

#180 6 years ago

And... everything is OK?

#181 6 years ago

***STAR GAZER PLAYFIELDS CUTTING NOW***

Finally people should see their playfields delivered in July - August. I will just post pictures of progress up here, & keep production process of my contractors/myself some what confidential.

I have only received partial list of prepaid buyers. It is important that you verify your info if you haven't done so over the next few months. Microsoft has totally abandoned my access to my Hotmail account.

You can reach me through www.greatpinball.com or johngreatwich at outlook dot com

I'm off to Allentown, & when I return I prep the playfields in May for uv inkjet printing.

The dead line for Star Gazer is April 30!

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

***STAR GAZER PLAYFIELDS CUTTING NOW***
The dead line for Star Gazer is April 30!

This is stressful ! Trying to decide...
-mof

#183 6 years ago

mof- it's one of those things that you'll kick yourself later for not getting. even if you don't use it within 3 or 4 years and decide to never get one, you'll have zero problem selling it.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

mof- it's one of those things that you'll kick yourself later for not getting. even if you don't use it within 3 or 4 years and decide to never get one, you'll have zero problem selling it.

Can't argue with this logic...
-mof

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You can reach me through http://www.greatpinball.com or johngreatwich at outlook dot com

I emailed you on 4/23 at the outlook address you listed, but I didn't get any reply from you. Wasn't sure if you are confirming receipt of the pre-order info as each person contacts you?

#187 6 years ago

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Email sent...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#188 6 years ago

No worries, everyone who paid for their playfield(s) will be ok. So much for my Hotmail account sitting dormant, getting messages I can't access. All emails please send to johngreatwich at outlook dot com

#189 6 years ago

Email sent! I preordered Seawitch, but after seeing the work done on Stargazer I may splurge on the playfield before I have the machine in hand... John, thanks for your hard work and dedication!

#190 6 years ago

Email sent for Seawitch playfield.

#191 6 years ago

Checked with the sign shop. The normal tech that does the cnc work was off today. There were 12 playfields cut, but the owner & I don't know if they are ready for me to take home. So I should know Thursday whether these ones are ready to go.

Thursday AM update:

Just got back the topside is done, bottoms still need drilling & prop hole routered. So it looks like Monday (early next week) before I start prep & lense insertion.

While I was there I watched the laser in operation for cutting plastics. That will come into use for Dolly Parton conversions later this year.

Saturday Update: The 12 initial playfields will be ready Monday for my pick up if its dry. They plan on running the final 28 over the month of May.

#192 6 years ago

Oh boy, this is very exciting ...

#193 6 years ago

Monday May 12, 2014 STAR GAZER playfields into production mode. First 10 here & other 2 were on the table getting finished. The other 28 cut this month. I have decided to be a open source of information on all pinball product I manufacturer. Hopefully we will see more people producing product. My way of producing playfields hopefully will see low demand playfields produced on demand in the future. I just need more support from people providing art at 300 dpi or better. Not vector graphics (individual color layers), so it should be a lot easier to do for those with the skills.

Playfields get cnc work done on a large vacuum table. Bit change by operator. Topside is done first, & shooter lane done in one pass. The 4' x 8' x 1/2" custom Baltic Birch Plywood, has hard maple veneer topside & A1 bottom side. The cost per sheet last year was around $250. The cnc cuts the outline of each playfield blank from the full sheet of plywood. Each blank is then placed in the designated spot for cutting & is held in place by the vacuum. When the topside is done, it gets masked for cutting of the bottom side to have a good vacuum.

The playfields now get my attention to see if holes or light lenses need more work. More pictures will be provided as I slowly go through the lot. So be patient, this is a one man operation plus my contractors. I'm busy with my 6 day a week City job + overtime. Glass sales & pinball servicing/operating in my area.

Tuesday AM - Picked up the other 2 playfields. They cut 4 topside, others to follow as they have time.

001-604.JPG
002-479.JPG
003-500.JPG
004-860.JPG
005-318.JPG
006.JPG
007-721.JPG

#195 6 years ago

pretty sweet. that shooter lane looks amazing.

#197 6 years ago

Cant wait for mine!

#198 6 years ago

Here is some more info on my hands on prep work for playfields. I check each insert hole to make sure I sanded it clean with a test insert lense. If it needs further sanding it gets done, all holes verified. All the work done by the cnc, is sanded clean to remove debris.

006.JPG 001-930.JPG 002-916.JPG 003-983.JPG 004-303.JPG 005-157.JPG
#199 6 years ago

Thank's for the update! very fun to see it come to life

#200 6 years ago

This is awesome! Good work! I may just buy one for the hell of it and then find the machine later.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Sale Pending!
Julian, PA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
There are 1991 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 40.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside