IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 52.
#1901 4 years ago

With my cold I ran out of sick time & took a weeks vacation (Tuesday-Monday). Still not the best shape with this bad cold. But 2 inked playfields & 2 sold tests are going out soon. 1 inked Mark S #1 inked & #5 Special on Thursday. There is a transfer of #2 inked, & worst test with woodburn is waiting on a glass to go out either Friday or early next week..
Today I got 3 Seawitch ready & 3 Star Gazer for sealing coats. I hope to spray a coat Thursday.

#1902 4 years ago

1 inked Mark S #1 inked & #5 Special on Thursday. .

Thank you for the Update John. I hope you feel better!!

#1903 4 years ago

Today I spent the day resting on the shop sofa. Not a good day for spraying with high winds & heavy rains. The playfields were picked up in a brief dry spell. #2 inked should go out Friday. No word on the printer with Seawitch glass or playfield. I will ask Friday.

#1904 4 years ago

Still crashing on the sofa at the shop with this bad cold. Our province is hit but almost all cases are travel related so far. I hope to get back Sunday to playfields. Over 2 weeks with a bad cold, which I usually get in March or April. I did talk with the printer on Friday & my stuff gets done early this week.

#1905 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Still crashing on the sofa at the shop with this bad cold. .

John, I hope you are feeling better. Just wanted to say thank you. I received the playfield today. It is very nice. Your packaging was incredible. Its been a long road. I included Star Gazer in the photo as I have your reproduction Star Gazer playfield in the game.

93021026_219335805998927_2633560124978888704_n (resized).jpg93021026_219335805998927_2633560124978888704_n (resized).jpg
#1906 4 years ago

Thanks for your continued patience. Still have this persistent cold. The printer got the 2 Seawitch glass & playfield done Tuesday. I am getting close to a large number of both Seawitch & Star Gazer (4-6 each) going in for printing. Started on the last of the cut Seawitch playfields to get inserts in over the next few weeks, & when that is done for Star Gazer ones.

#1907 4 years ago

Hi John,

Seawitch prepaid #1 here, still waiting on word from you. I'm interested in a clearcoated playfield per the original post.

Thanks,
Joe Scaletta

#1908 4 years ago

Yes finally the first production ones to get finish auto clear coats late this month & early April. I will be at the workshop this holiday Friday, & Saturday day off. My city has finally decided to drain the 3 public pools starting Tuesday, that I work on the last 24 years.

#1909 4 years ago

Yes finally the first production ones to get finish auto clear coats late this month & early April.

Wait isn’t it early April right now? I know we are all losing track of days during all this!

#1910 4 years ago

Yes you are right. Should of been May. I was not feeling the best today, & just got glass boxed. The Seawitch playfield looked good, & will be the first of the next group of Seawitch to get finish auto clear later this month (April!). There is a bunch of Star Gazer playfields that will be ink only going to Australia & USA later this month. I moved cardboard honeycomb spacers to another spot. So the stack of pinball playfield blanks are ready to go out for CNC. I forgot the memory card, will post pictures late Saturday.

#1911 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Wait isn’t it early April right now? I know we are all losing track of days during all this!

March was incredibly long.

#1912 4 years ago

So is my persistent cold! There is another prepaid Seawitch customer waiting on a refund later this month. If you want to get one let me know. I just need to get US funds from sales of Star Gazer, or remaining 3 Seawitch tests with white arrows.

#1913 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

was incredibly long.

Thats what she said

#1914 4 years ago

Pictures, got 5 of 9 with inserts ready for epoxy this week. 3 on rack final fixes, 2 need minor epoxy repair or insert replaced. 2 Seawitch glass going out, & the last inked playfield.

IMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPGIMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0012 (resized).JPGIMG_0012 (resized).JPGIMG_0013 (resized).JPGIMG_0013 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0015 (resized).JPGIMG_0015 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPG
#1916 4 years ago

So the last 2 Seawitch tests with white arrows are left for repairs this week. Went over the playfields (Star Gazer for weep holes, & found a few I missed). Will look at the 3 Seawitch on the drying rack on Monday, & start epoxy inserts. Monday is my Holiday since I worked today.

#1917 4 years ago

The 3 Seawitch on the rack got a few more weep holes filled. I cleaned up the last 6 Seawitch ready for lenses, & the other 3 with lenses waiting epoxy. Another 2 need the shooter lane or rollover insert installed. So there are 14 total Seawitch production ones here (1 printed waiting for finish clear coats, likely group of 4). Waiting on word from the sign shop about cutting Seawitch playfields. It will be 20 ASAP, 20 every 30 -60 days the rest of the year.

IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0022 (resized).JPGIMG_0022 (resized).JPG
#1918 4 years ago

So I am waiting on word to slot in 20 blanks for cnc work for the next wave of Seawitch prepaid & others waiting. We have had poor weather here the last few days so the Star Gazer & Seawitch getting final weep holes & sealing coats are still waiting. Next few days they should be ready. For now I continue to work on the 9 Seawitch for lense install.

IMG_0023 (resized).JPGIMG_0023 (resized).JPGIMG_0024 (resized).JPGIMG_0024 (resized).JPG
#1920 4 years ago

So I am waiting on word to slot in 20 blanks for cnc work for the next wave of Seawitch prepaid & others waiting. We have had poor weather here the last few days so the Star Gazer & Seawitch getting final weep holes & sealing coats are still waiting. Next few days they should be ready. For now I continue to work on the 9 Seawitch for lense install.[quoted image][quoted image]

I admire your tenacity, John. A lesser man would have tossed in the towel a long time ago.

#1921 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I admire your tenacity, John. A lesser man would have tossed in the towel a long time ago.

I would have changed my name and moved, got to give him credit.

#1922 4 years ago

Things are speeding up for my production. My city job hours have changed to daytime. So I have a little more time at the workshop. I will post some pictures & update likely late Saturday night.

#1923 4 years ago

So I am working on getting the last 11 cnc Seawitch playfields ready for printing early May. Should be 2-4 ready for printing this week (not these 11!). 2 are ready & working on the 1-2. A Seawitch & now Star Gazer playfield will be going out to test the new clear coat contractor.
Star Gazer a bunch going into the printer & I will start on the last 7 cnc ones at the shop. A number are going out ink only, & the rest will be clear coated. The focus the rest of the year is Seawitch playfields, unless all the Star Gazer run out!
I tried a new process for rollover inserts, & a couple of playfields for yellow arrow inserts. Looks very promising for these few troublesome inserts. Oracle mask from my direct ink restoration years. I get to use the cardboard edge strapping guards as spacers, & then use them to protect my glass box corners.

IMG_0025 (resized).JPGIMG_0025 (resized).JPGIMG_0026 (resized).JPGIMG_0026 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPG
#1924 4 years ago

Finally got around to building my Star Gazer using one of John’s playfields this past week. I have to compliment how great his holes and dimples were and how great they made assembly. Compared to the CPR Skateball I just did this thing was amazing. Thanks again.

EDB9DC67-BEF1-4748-BEA2-71136995D4D4 (resized).jpegEDB9DC67-BEF1-4748-BEA2-71136995D4D4 (resized).jpeg
#1925 4 years ago

Interested in seconds/test Seawitch playfield. PM sent

#1926 4 years ago

Got your message for seconds. Off to my day job. Will give a count of playfields ready for printing late tonight.

#1927 4 years ago

The 2 playfields are going to the new contractor Tuesday for finish clear coats. 3 Star Gazer & 3 Seawitch ready to go for printing. I will continue to use Oracle 810 masking for arrows, & rollover inserts. Maybe for some problem other ones also. I am trying to have the last 9 cut Seawitch playfields ready for printing the first week of may. I have asked the sign shop if Friday this week I can get the future custom playfield blanks in to start group of 20 cnc done every 30-60 days the rest of the year.

#1928 4 years ago

What is the purpose of the Oracle masking?

#1929 4 years ago

It keeps me from having to adjust the lenses from not being level with the playfield. I stand the playfields up to dry (so hopefully lenses do not droop if holes are not tight). This is way better I have found for the arrows & large rollovers for epoxy. I will use this method going forward for these 2 lense styles.

#1930 4 years ago

***Special Update*** So everything is looking good with my new auto clear contractor. A retired body shop tech who continues to work in his backyard garage. Does mostly auto & truck, gas tanks for motorcycles, clearing over decals, & now pinball playfields. So he uses solvent type products since he is old school, & no other workers. A different way of doing them since he had no previous experience on finishing playfields. So he pre heats the playfields to 85 degrees F, & checks surface temperature by thermal gun. He installs the white star inserts & then sprays a coat of spot hardener to the uv ink. Waits about 20 minutes & apply a heavy coat of clear. After looking at the playfields tonight I will get a second coat of clear done on these 2 & future ones will get the 3 coat process. He moves the white star inserts during the process so most are free, as was seen tonight. If the customers are not happy they can cut the end off & remove. File & clean the rollover & install new ones.

Just noticed I reached the 7 year mark with this project. This WILL be the year I finish the remaining Seawitch prepaid guys & all other demand. Along with any remaining Star Gazer interest.

So the 6 playfields are still waiting to go for the printer. Working on the others at the shop. The clear coat should be a faster turn around, & printing is pretty quick. So it is mostly time constraints from me towards playfield production. I told the clear coat contractor 60 - 100 playfields this year. My goal is 100+ this year total for Seawitch & Star Gazer. So I will keep a running total of auto cleared playfields.
IMG_0046 (resized).JPGIMG_0046 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0051 (resized).JPGIMG_0051 (resized).JPGIMG_0052 (resized).JPGIMG_0052 (resized).JPGIMG_0053 (resized).JPGIMG_0053 (resized).JPG

#1931 4 years ago

***Special Update*** So everything is looking good with my new auto clear contractor. A retired body shop tech who continues to work in his backyard garage. Does mostly auto & truck, gas tanks for motorcycles, clearing over decals, & now pinball playfields. So he uses solvent type products since he is old school, & no other workers. A different way of doing them since he had no previous experience on finishing playfields. So he pre heats the playfields to 85 degrees F, & checks surface temperature by thermal gun. He installs the white star inserts & then sprays a coat of spot hardener to the uv ink. Waits about 20 minutes & apply a heavy coat of clear. After looking at the playfields tonight I will get a second coat of clear done on these 2 & future ones will get the 3 coat process. He moves the white star inserts during the process so most are free, as was seen tonight. If the customers are not happy they can cut the end off & remove. File & clean the rollover & install new ones.
Just noticed I reached the 7 year mark with this project. This WILL be the year I finish the remaining Seawitch prepaid guys & all other demand. Along with any remaining Star Gazer interest.
So the 6 playfields are still waiting to go for the printer. Working on the others at the shop. The clear coat should be a faster turn around, & printing is pretty quick. So it is mostly time constraints from me towards playfield production. I told the clear coat contractor 60 - 100 playfields this year. My goal is 100+ this year total for Seawitch & Star Gazer. So I will keep a running total of auto cleared playfields.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is he using polyurethane for the clear coat material?

#1932 4 years ago

Been following this thread for a long time. Always fun to drool over these nice Seawitch playfields.
Hopefully when it's all done there might be a few extra laying around for some of us slowpokes.
I did manage to snag one of John's reproduction Seawitch backglasses at TPF last year.
Wow does that thing look great.
Would look even better over a new playfield someday.

#1933 4 years ago

Excellent news John. I'm ready and waiting to pay as soon as my turn to purchase comes around. Thanks for your persistence and drive to deliver a quality product.

#1934 4 years ago

those look great john. I'm excited to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and receive my seawitch playfield.

#1935 4 years ago

I saw OMNI cleaner. I will ask what he is using if he provides the secret sauce. Just got of the phone playfields look even better with the 3 coat process. It is PPG spot harder & 3 part polyurethane coating.

#1936 4 years ago

I saw OMNI cleaner. I will ask what he is using if he provides the secret sauce. Just got of the phone playfields look even better with the 3 coat process. It is PPG spot harder & 3 part polyurethane coating.

I will change my request for one with no clear to one with the clear your new guy is using .

#1937 4 years ago

If you put the white stars in upside down and spray then you can just pull them out. Insert stays free of the clear, the stars aren’t covered in clear for owners and you can keep reusing the stars for clearing other batches.

#1938 4 years ago

If you put the white stars in upside down and spray then you can just pull them out. Insert stays free of the clear, the stars aren’t covered in clear for owners and you can keep reusing the stars for clearing other batches.

That's what I do , too.

#1939 4 years ago

+1, done that - works great.

#1940 4 years ago

+2 tried and true

#1941 4 years ago

Yes the stars upside down is what most people do. I will allow the guy to do it his way. If people are not happy with the action they can cut the bottom off, & pop out. Clean the rollovers off any clear, & reinstall a new one. Last night I was exhausted from my day job, & only got a few minor thing done at the shop. Looks like Friday to get a bunch of errands done.

#1942 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I will change my request for one with no clear to one with the clear your new guy is using .

I would like to do the same, mine with the clear the new guy is using

#1943 4 years ago

A bad day at my day job. Better day tonight on pinball stuff. Picked up the 2 playfields & painted the backs. Got the last of the next 9 Seawitch top epoxy after lenses installed. Loaded next 20 playfield Seawitch blanks for cnc, & the 6 playfields went to the printer (3&3). The clear coats on the first 2 playfields were as good or much better than my many previous contractors. Is it perfection NO, but it is as good as I can get it at a affordable playfield cost. That being said anyone who has shown interest will be locked in at $600 US + $50 US shipping USA. Unless I said you are still good for $500 US price as the prepaid guys. Anyone new with no communication starting May1, 2020 will be $700 US + $50 US shipping. This has been a long road towards Seawitch production. I hope to get a bunch of playfields ready for printing the first week of May.

IMG_0055 (resized).JPGIMG_0055 (resized).JPGIMG_0056 (resized).JPGIMG_0056 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0058 (resized).JPGIMG_0058 (resized).JPG
#1944 4 years ago

Looks great, John! Curious, how do you apply the paint to the bottom? I would have assumed that was done before inserts were placed. I'm not insinuating paint splatter getting on anything, I'm more asking in case I want to paint the bottom of a Mirco playfield

#1945 4 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Looks great, John! Curious, how do you apply the paint to the bottom? I would have assumed that was done before inserts were placed. I'm not insinuating paint splatter getting on anything, I'm more asking in case I want to paint the bottom of a Mirco playfield

Use a paint roller. Stand your play field up vertical. Do not put a lot of paint on your roller. And roll real slow.

#1946 4 years ago

What kind of paint do you recommend?
(apologies for hijacking your thread, John!)

#1947 4 years ago

What kind of paint do you recommend?
(apologies for hijacking your thread, John!)

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a sample size of wall paint in any color you want. A sample size of paint costs around $4.00. And you will get enough to paint several play fields. Get yourself a mini size foam paint roller and a paint pan. Remember, go slow. A fast moving roller will throw paint---right into your inserts.

#1948 4 years ago

I had good success with a 4 inch foam roller. I just placed the pf on a flat surface, like Cottonm4 stated, use paint sparingly and go slow. The paint dries fast enough so you can just add another coat if needed.

#1949 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I had good success with a 4 inch foam roller. I just placed the pf on a flat surface, like Cottonm4 stated, use paint sparingly and go slow. The paint dries fast enough so you can just add another coat if needed.

I stood mine up on the vertical plane. I did not want to take a chance of having any drop of paint drip into any insert. And worse, not seeing the drip until it was already dried.

#1950 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stood mine up on the vertical plane. I did not want to take a chance of having any drop of paint drip into any insert. And worse, not seeing the drip until it was already dried.

I guess I was lucky there, no splatter on mine.

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/39?hl=joshpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.