IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 52.
#1351 5 years ago

Prepaid for Sea Witch playfield as well but no contact since 04-07-2016 so i don't know what to think.

#1352 5 years ago

I am prepaid for a Seawitch PF.

John, is it possible to put me down for a StarGazer glass and ship it when my Seawtich PF ships?

The 9Ball and SW glasses look great.

#1353 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

payment for Seawitch was sent on August 29, 2013

Still in and looking forward to the day I can start my restore.

#1354 5 years ago

I'm prepaid for a playfield and glass, and super excited now that we are getting so close. Sorry to hear that this has been so much headache for you, John.

#1355 5 years ago

Am I reading correctly that you have about 40 playfield orders and are doing batches of 10? If I ordered one now what's the ETA?

#1356 5 years ago

Hopefully all Seawitch needs done by the end of this year. If these 10 go through nicely, batches of around 20+ next. My left knee has been bad the last couple of days, so sanding will likely end by Monday. The 2 Star Gazer missed the switch lanes, & I will ask that wood rail holes be enlarged similar to Seawitch. So the 2 go back for correction on CNC. The focus is now on Seawitch production, just wanted to verify more Star Gazer playfields can be done.
All glass is going out reasonably quickly, 1 Nineball, & 2 Seawitch ready to go. Others can be printed 1-2 weeks.

More info has been posted in the previous page about numbers, & what is going on to finally finish Seawitch prepaid playfields. Also to fill all demand for Seawitch non paid playfield orders, along with more Star Gazer playfields. Anyone who has paid for a glass & not got it. I will ship now, looks like 1 party missed. Please send me a pm! Thanks!

Stern Classic Glass: Seawitch, Star Gazer, Catacomb, Nineball, Lightning (also hidden nipple version), & Iron Maiden (set or outter or inner glass). Rumoured QuickSilver glass, but no art file here yet.

#1357 5 years ago

John, just a reminder. I sent you 3 yellow insert for my playfield. Not sure if you ever found a source for new yellow inserts.

#1358 5 years ago

John, I also sent you a pair of the yellow arrow inserts.

#1359 5 years ago

John, can you get us up to speed on the insert situation and whether we need to make any decisions or take any actions?

thanks,
-mof

#1360 5 years ago

Hi John, I posted earlier in the forum that I would order a seawitch playfield. Just wondering when are you taking payments for new orders?

#1361 5 years ago

These questions about the inserts is part of the reason these playfields have taken this long. Can we let John get these finished so we can all enjoy our restorations rather than fret over white versus yellow inserts? Enough is enough.

#1362 5 years ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

These questions about the inserts is part of the reason these playfields have taken this long. Can we let John get these finished so we can all enjoy our restorations rather than fret over white versus yellow inserts? Enough is enough.

I took the inserts out of a descent playfield to help aid in getting the correct ones made for the new playfields three years ago. Post #393. I don't see a problem asking.

#1363 5 years ago

I see it as a problem. Anything that delays a 5 year project any longer is a problem for those of us that are fine with white inserts. if you want yellow have kruzeman restore an original. the white ones look great.

#1364 5 years ago

Well guys I talked with Mike Purcell tonight asking if CPR has a lead on the yellow arrow inserts. They use a wide variety of suppliers, Foremost Plastics is still saying no mold (Marco Specialties asked years ago for me), & no news from their other supplier. Here are pictures of original inserts sent in by the 2 guys. Still here, & pictures of all the inserts I have. The plan is to continue to use white opaque lenses, possibly have the printer do yellow ink over them. I am also on the hunt for more hard maple veneer plywood, 20-40 sheets (4 x 8 feet). Still sanding away on the 10 playfields. The plan is to do 8 of 10 playfields with white opaque arrows, & if art is nice insert the yellow arrows on the last 2 for printing. Like I have said 3 years ago, I am not taking anymore prepayments. Stand by & there will be playfields available for new orders.

IMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG

#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Well guys I talked with Mike Purcell tonight asking if CPR has a lead on the yellow arrow inserts. They use a wide variety of suppliers, Foremost Plastics is still saying no mold (Marco Specialties asked years ago for me), & no news from their other supplier. Here are pictures of original inserts sent in by the 2 guys. Still here, & pictures of all the inserts I have. The plan is to continue to use white opaque lenses, possibly have the printer do yellow ink over them. I am also on the hunt for more hard maple veneer plywood, 20-40 sheets (4 x 8 feet). Still sanding away on the 10 playfields. The plan is to do 8 of 10 playfields with white opaque arrows, & if art is nice insert the yellow arrows on the last 2 for printing. Like I have said 3 years ago, I am not taking anymore prepayments. Stand by & there will be playfields available for new orders.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of plastic are they made from? Do they not accept synthetic material dye like pop bumper skirts and such? Has anyone tried dying them? If they can be dyed prior to insertion, that is SOooo much better than attempting to alter them with paint post production. If they can't be dyed, I agree that white looks fine and that done is better than perfect.

#1366 5 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

It is strange. They can make white plastic inserts which use a mold. Seems to me the same mold could make a rainbow of inserts. And they cannot add dye to make yellow?

Not digging at you, John. I used to make cooler lids for Coleman using blow mold. If you wanted white lids you put white pellets into the bin. If you wanted red lids to put red pellets into the bin. (sigh)

#1367 5 years ago

The company I work for injection molds thousands of parts every day. We have over 200 Milacron injection mold machines. All you do to change the color is add a color feeder to the material feed to change the color. It only takes a few color pellets per shot size to change the color of the plastic. Uses the same molds.

#1368 5 years ago

That is the response from Foremost Plastics about mold is gone. Marco Specialties deals with them. I will ask again. Also Mike has no leads, & they do the bulk of playfields using inserts from 2 manufacturers.

#1369 5 years ago

If a real mold maker charges $8,000 to make a 6-gang plastic injection mold, I wonder if any "backyard Bridgeport" guys could do it cheaper?

Or can China do it cheap before the tariffs kick in?

#1370 5 years ago

While you're doing that please make classic tombstone drop targets and bumper caps with the stamping around the outside.

#1371 5 years ago

There was no power to my shared work shop today. Still sanding playfields, & might start doing some inserts later this week. Still no word on the search for more plywood. I will ask again for my Canadian search, worse case I might be able to get some CPR wood in late Fall.

#1372 5 years ago

There was no power to my shared work shop today. Still sanding playfields, & might start doing some inserts later this week. Still no word on the search for more plywood. I will ask again for my Canadian search, worse case I might be able to get some CPR wood in late Fall.

If it's the same wood they used on the latest EBD run, that was about 1/16 in. thicker than original boards. Then with the additional thickness of the clear coat, the horseshoe drops had to be shimmed to the level with the PF surface. With all the drops on Seawitch, this could become a real hassle.

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If it's the same wood they used on the latest EBD run, that was about 1/16 in. thicker than original boards. Then with the additional thickness of the clear coat, the horseshoe drops had to be shimmed to the level with the PF surface. With all the drops on Seawitch, this could become a real hassle.

There are just three drop target assemblies. That can't be too much work to compensate for.

My question is how do you compensate for the pop skirts that are now sitting lower in relation to the play field? I had to raise my pop skirts when I added a .030" play field protector (custom made--can't buy) to compensate for the extra .030, so I know it can be done but I would would like to know how you, or anybody else, makes this compensation.

#1374 5 years ago

Throw a shout out. New seawitch backglass got here Tuesday and for anyone doubting if it’s worth the wait, take a look.

The colors on my original are a little more red in the flesh tones but all my rocks in the backglass are also flesh tone.

The new glass (as you can see) has a little darker skin tone but WAY better differentiation of the rock color and flesh. I would say a perfect and faithful reproduction

F4E53630-A6D9-49E7-9A40-3E0C494E9633 (resized).jpegF4E53630-A6D9-49E7-9A40-3E0C494E9633 (resized).jpeg
#1375 5 years ago

Awesome! Did you get a shipment notification ir did it just show up?

#1376 5 years ago

Shipment notification

#1377 5 years ago

Found out the power was restored late today, so back to playfield sanding on Friday. The hunt is on to see if Canadian Plywood manufacturer is willing to do hard maple plywood. Seems like most want to churn out cheap stuff for the big box stores or construction industry. Should know late next week. Here is my supplier for Star Gazer plywood: http://robertbury.com/ who is doing the search again.
For my shipments I usually supply UPS tracking # in case it does not appear when I ship.

#1378 5 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

for anyone doubting if it’s worth the wait, take a look

Seconded!

IMG_0736 (resized).JPGIMG_0736 (resized).JPG
#1379 5 years ago

Found out the power was restored late today, so back to playfield sanding on Friday. The hunt is on to see if Canadian Plywood manufacturer is willing to do hard maple plywood. Seems like most want to churn out cheap stuff for the big box stores or construction industry. Should know late next week. Here is my supplier for Star Gazer plywood: http://robertbury.com/ who is doing the search again.
For my shipments I usually supply UPS tracking # in case it does not appear when I ship.

John,

If your current supplier is not able to source the plywood, does that mean that the Seawitch prepaids will be delayed further?

Thanks.

#1380 5 years ago

Thirded !

IMG_8192 (resized).JPGIMG_8192 (resized).JPG

#1381 5 years ago

No I have reached out to CPR to see if I can get some of theirs late this year as a back up.

#1382 5 years ago

Playfields sanded & ready for inserts. I will be at the Ottawa show in 2 weeks if anyone is going.

1 week later
#1383 5 years ago

Saturday - Thursday was on the sofa with bad left knee. I had it scoped out 10 years ago, & is worse at times waiting on my right foot surgery (still no date after 1.5 years). Friday - Saturday I spent building a new rack for pinball playfield production. Holds 7 playfields, last one held 5 before I disposed of the paint booth in my house. So I hope to start glueing inserts this week before Ottawa on Friday.

#1384 5 years ago

Sold my home last May and had to put all my pins and parts in storage until new house is finished in December. I'm so jonesin to start my Seawitch resto.

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sold my home last May and had to put all my pins and parts in storage until new house is finished in December. I'm so jonesin to start my Seawitch resto.

Seawitch rocks!

1 week later
#1386 5 years ago

any update john?

#1387 5 years ago

My focus was on my road trip to Ottawa Pinball Show last weekend. No go, even though everything was set up before the tornado. My first look & experience of a tornado. Friday night 200 k without power. Sunday late 4 k, & the venue was near the sub station that got hit. The hotel I picked had a full generator for the building near the airport, which was closed Friday night.

Seawitch: New rack built & I started to get playfields ready to start gluing (epoxy) inserts. Seawitch #1 test with ghosted white bonus X sold in Ottawa. This playfield needed more finish clear coats, & had different maple veneer lines on top. Seawitch #2 test is still being worked on for weeping, & has same ghosted insert. The search for plywood has gone to USA (MA), to try to source out.

IMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPG

#1388 5 years ago

Dead bolt on the work shop door has failed. So no work today. Might be next week before the landlord repairs it. Stay tuned, & have a good weekend.

#1389 5 years ago

thanks for coming to Ottawa, sorry about all them tornadoes ruining everything!

#1390 5 years ago

If anyone with a deposit on a seawitch playfield want to sell there spot send me a pm.

#1391 5 years ago

Started 2 playfields tonight. Seawitch glass with problems on edge $150 US sold. Along with Seawitch test #2 weep issues around lenses, & ghosted top white X bonus lense. Looking for the Seawitch playfields going for printing the end of the month.

#1392 5 years ago

Started 2 playfields tonight. Seawitch glass with problems on edge $150 US sold. Along with Seawitch test #2 weep issues around lenses, & ghosted top white X bonus lense. Looking for the Seawitch playfields going for printing the end of the month.

John, what are weep issues? Please explain. Is there a specific order list for the Witch pf's? Are they being shipped in any special order? I know I put in for 1 way in the beginning.

#1393 5 years ago

Weeping is when the epoxy doesn`t totally 100% seal around the lense. I will get the list together this fall. They will go out in order of prepaid first (best ones). Some will likely go to others who wanted one, but were not allowed to prepay (seconds) at same price. Then there will be a huge back log of new orders Seawitch at higher price $600 US, & more Star Gazer at $600 US. 6 Seawitch playfields have all lenses, except for the arrows.

Still searching on new source of custom maple plywood. I am thinking that I might have to ask for a skid (lift) for a mill to be interested. Thanks to free trade over the years, only like 30% mills left in North America.

IMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG
#1394 5 years ago

***Update Seawitch & Star Gazer Playfields*** My local source of plywood http://robertbury.com/ has found the only source on demand for maple ply on Baltic birch core. Times are hard finding any mill in Canada or USA to manufacture plywood with maple veneer. The bad news is the veneer is super thin. CPR (Classic Playfield Reproductions) has also asked about wide body plywood. This veneer is the smallest thickness I have ever seen. So I will be talking with my CNC contractor to dial in the depth for inserts. I want to get them flush or above, to just sand off the id of mold letters. Avoid sanding off veneer in shooter lane or wood areas. The best news is the cost is cheaper for 4 x 8 foot sheet 1/2", & I can have it in 3 weeks or less on demand. Thanks to our largest University ordering 3/4" & now 1/2" plywood, I have a ready source on demand. So onto what I have first for Seawitch plywood, barely thicker ply. Then I switch to new plywood which I will test later this month.

I got to view a lift of this plywood which is now stocked here for the University. Super nice both sides for maple veneer (super thin like I have said), & Baltic birch cores. I can order the best discount or close, take what they have, & get the rest later at that price.

Had the last original run Star Gazer reprinted. Anyone wanting to do their own finish clear coats. $400 US shipped to USA.

#1395 5 years ago

PM Sent for one of the last Start Gazers if still available.

#1397 5 years ago

Don't forget I still have a SG on order where I sent you the Space Shuttle playfield.

I don't need a clearcoat.

#1398 5 years ago

Have not forgot. If your ready will be 1 of the 2 that are in the shop in Nov.

#1399 5 years ago

^ Thank you sir!

2 weeks later
#1400 5 years ago

Any updates for Seawitch playfields?

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.