IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 52.
#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Back when John first showed us his Seawitch play fields I raised the issue of things being out of alignment. Maybe I spoke too soon.
Here is a pic of John's repro unit.

And here is a pic of the NOS unit for sale on Ebay.
I am inclined to think that John's is the better quality play field.

NOS does not mean that it was top quality at the time. Odds are that the opposite is actually true - that the "nos" unit is one that was pulled off the line because it was not up to par.

#1302 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

NOS does not mean that it was top quality at the time. Odds are that the opposite is actually true - that the "nos" unit is one that was pulled off the line because it was not up to par.

Something like CPR gold, bronze and silver? Only taking lower down to the copper and tin level?

#1303 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Something like CPR gold, bronze and silver? Only taking lower down to the copper and tin level?

That's my suspicion. I could be wrong.

#1304 5 years ago

could also just be extra PF because they ordered more than they sold? After that, 35 years worth of ageing can't be good for any PF, even if not played

#1305 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I agree to point. Obviously extra parts were made for repair and warranty work. So not all NOS stuff would be 2nds. I would definitely not buy and NOS from the 80's or 90's without seeing it in person. I saw a High Speed NOS populated PF in the box and most of the inserts were popping out of it. Sad to see. Also seen the same on a NOS Bobby Orr PP PF. About 10 years ago I had a NOS Seawitch PF that was cleared years earlier and it looked great, but I was new to the hobby and sold it off like dingbat! Actually I think it's the same PF that John is using for the repro.

#1306 5 years ago

Another round of playfields was listed for $700 each this time. Maybe these are better quality?

#1307 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Another round of playfields was listed for $700 each this time. Maybe these are better quality?

I think they are the same ones. All were no sales as the reserves were not met.

#1308 5 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

could also just be extra PF because they ordered more than they sold? After that, 35 years worth of ageing can't be good for any PF, even if not played

Still way better then restoring an original by far.

1 week later
#1309 5 years ago

It's easy to forget that when restorations are done in this hobby (and other hobbies!) we often end up doing things more carefully than the original manufacturer. They had to worry about mass production and we are basically doing boutique work.

#1310 5 years ago

Forgive that I only check here occasionally - are these playfields for Seawitch still being made, or has all this moving and such made them vaporware, so to speak? Thanks

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Forgive that I only check here occasionally - are these playfields for Seawitch still being made, or has all this moving and such made them vaporware, so to speak? Thanks

vaporware? hmm... I don't think that we've been prattling on about a playfield that we're not going to receive for the last 25+ pages
read back a page or two. john is on vacation until the end of next week. after that final checks will resume which should lead to playfield production for seawitch

1 week later
#1312 5 years ago

Sorry guys I was not on the internet for my entire vacation June 28 - till now. Thanks to my brothers United reward program, I just returned from my 14 hour stay at a tiny airport. Trying to sleep a few winks on some benches with out arm rests from 4 am - 11 am. So Tuesday afternoon Austin to Toronto, Toronto to Moncton, & Moncton to Halifax.

While I was away I did call the cnc shop. Nothing was done so far, mid July. So I will call Thursday. Glass is being printed various titles. I am going to finish restoring the 2 first Seawitch tests, before more finish clear. Still looking again for a new contractor. This is the year for Seawitch to end. Let the big boys battle it out for world wide domination of playfields.

Refunds asked for over the years have gone out. Want one please ask. Star Gazer run & over run 100% done. People still want many more, but the focus is to finally end the torture for everyone on Seawitch playfields. There should be lots of positive news starting in August - a week away.

#1313 5 years ago

They are working on corrections to Seawitch cut file. I will know more the end of next week.

#1314 5 years ago

With CPR now doing glass titles that I have done for years. I will be leaving the parts business in 2019. My focus is now on finishing Seawitch & Star Gazer playfields. I will not be able to price match CPR glass & shipping. Thanks for the support over the years!

#1315 5 years ago

John thanks for the updates and I am looking forward to receiving my Seawitch playfield. I have purchased a few CPR items over the years and i am disappointed to see that they are producing the glasses that you have been doing for years. I generally always appreciate their efforts but dont approve of them doing this to one of the pinball good guys.....

#1316 5 years ago

I love your dedication and work ethics
And would purchase anytime from you again for items needed like I have in the past.

You are the nr one guy to go to !!!

Thanks for all your hard work.

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

With CPR now doing glass titles that I have done for years. I will be leaving the parts business in 2019. My focus is now on finishing Seawitch & Star Gazer playfields. I will not be able to price match CPR glass & shipping. Thanks for the support over the years!

I thought CPR was just going to be going through titles they have done in the past, unless they were furnished the art for something new.

#1318 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I thought CPR was just going to be going through titles they have done in the past, unless they were furnished the art for something new.

Cpr announced earlier this year in a newsletter that they would be making playfields and backglasses for Seawitch, Star Gazer and Nine Ball for the first time. No eta was given for any of this, but they just added Seawitch and Nine Ball backglasses to their inventory

#1319 5 years ago

John I really appreciate all of the support that you have given the fans of Classic Sterns over the years.

#1320 5 years ago

The glass that I have produced for years will be price matched to CPR & shipping if they are selling that title. No money in it for me at their price points. But it will end this year as I exhaust the special shipping boxes I purchased 7 years ago. The end is near, & I will move on to other pinball projects. The offer is good to USA customers only. Thanks for your support over the years!

#1321 5 years ago

I also appreciate all the support for classic Sterns you’ve done over the years. I’ve got your Star Gazer and Seawitch backglass along with a Star Gazer playfield...All great products!

#1322 5 years ago

The glass that I have produced for years will be price matched to CPR & shipping if they are selling that title. No money in it for me at their price points. But it will end this year as I exhaust the special shipping boxes I purchased 7 years ago. The end is near, & I will move on to other pinball projects. The offer is good to USA customers only. Thanks for your support over the years!

john, from the wording in these 2 posts of yours, you almost make it sound like CPR is "stealing" the business away from you (or maybe I'm just reading into it way too far. however from what I have heard, that's not the case

care to set the record straight and clarify for everyone?

#1323 5 years ago

CPR is very predatory, & now going full out to kill off the small guys. I am going to match their pricing to USA, even at a loss. I will focus in 2019 on my own builds. No big deal, just a refocus. Lucky for me I have a exit plan. Unfortunately I have little art coming my way. Glass you could make some money, playfields there is no money.

#1324 5 years ago

I lost the internet for a few days, & going back to Bell for service. When I moved to my apartment they had a cheap internet provider. Was not happy when they had a transformer fire. So expect a update on cnc mid week, Monday is a holiday here.

#1325 5 years ago

Seawitch playfields in bulk have been cut for the 4th test. Either they turn out nice, or get sold at a discount. There is 10 or 12 cut, along with 2 Star Gazer playfields. I hope to pick them up Friday, & pay the piper (bill for cnc, & the inputs).

One more customer is getting a refund on a Seawitch (4 now), & previously got a 2nd Star Gazer refund. So if you still want a refund let me know. If not my priority is to end this playfield production this year.

I will have pictures likely late Friday to post up. Thanks for your patience!

#1326 5 years ago

greatwichjohn Don't do it! Your glasses are far superior and worth the extra cost!

Fingers crossed that the SeaWitch tests come back clean and ready for production!

#1327 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

greatwichjohn Don't do it! Your glasses are far superior and worth the extra cost!

I agree.

Quoted from xeneize:

Fingers crossed that the SeaWitch tests come back clean and ready for production!

Mine are too!

#1328 5 years ago

I have no idea about CPR & their flat bed printer. Brand new or used, model, etc. Most people will say what they are using for years, even Wayne in Australia. The printer contractor I have used for glass printing is OCE, don't know the model number. But it has been 6 years? People can compare my glass, CPR, BGresto, etc. & make their own observations.

#1329 5 years ago

Contact info: Please contact me here if you want my personal or business address, & phone numbers. Thanks!
I sold my house in June, moved to a apartment, & share a workshop in Halifax.

#1330 5 years ago

Ok I picked up the 2 Star Gazer, & 10 Seawitch playfields. After the test #4, they tweaked again before the next 9 cut. So everything should be hopefully close. I will know after printing starts. Pictured are the first 2 playfields inked with ghosted lense up top. I will be getting them ready for more finish clear. #3 is way off. The costs of playfield production with 3 of 4 contractors has doubled. So any new sales of either Seawitch or Star Gazer playfields are going to $700 US + $100 US shipping to USA only. Any Seawitch owners that want to bail out & receive a $500 US refund let me know. You will save me money on costs of production & shipping included. Hopefully these 9 or 10 will be best grade for the prepaid guys, & I get these guys sorted early Fall. Finish no later than before xmas for the rest.

It has been a very long wait, 5+ years for the smaller Seawitch prepaid guys. Thanks for your patience, & the end is near! So after this is over the prepaid guys for both playfields will likely save $300 US, along with the guys buying discounted issue Star Gazer playfields. Playfields are the hardest & riskiest pinball parts to manufacture. Anyone interested in joining in beware!

IMG_0001 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (1) (resized).JPG

IMG_0002 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (1) (resized).JPG
#1331 5 years ago

only one of your pics is showing up (on my computer, anyway).

thanks

#1332 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

only one of your pics is showing up (on my computer, anyway).
thanks

Same on my iphone

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Same on my iphone

Same here on my android phone/chrome browser, but the one photo that I can see is exciting!

#1334 5 years ago

If I tap on one of the thumbnails I can cycle through and see all but one. Still in for a witch pf!

#1335 5 years ago

I was at the shop starting the prep on all the Seawitch playfields this evening. I see the pictures, but will throw them up again. I have 1 Star Gazer glass, & 2 Seawitch being printed (3rd sold). Selling at matching CPR price for Seawitch (or also Star Gazer), $229 US + $35 US shipping to USA only!

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPG
#1336 5 years ago

Shame you won't be continuing withe the Seawitch playfield production, I'd really like one for my game.

#1337 5 years ago

Samesies

#1338 5 years ago

They look amazing John. So looking forward to getting mine once they are ready.

#1339 5 years ago

There is going to be many playfields done to meet demand Seawitch, & trickles of more Star Gazer in 2018. More if I have to early 2019. What is ending is Backglass production this year 2018. I have 30+ custom glass box sets left. When they are gone, I am done. With CPR & others doing the same glass titles there is no money in it, along with their heavily discounted shipping. The big boys price war is making the small parts guys think about their future. I have a exit plan in place, which is now known here, & my speech at Pintastic. I do not want people to panic buy my Stern Glass titles, but people are starting to think of the end date. Anyone who is thinking of getting Seawitch backglass, a bunch of folks getting playfields. The next 60 days you should do so.
Any foreign buyers will have to arrange for glass & playfields to ship from a friend in the USA. Only shipping to USA now, & Canada.

#1340 5 years ago

I'd like to purchase a Seawitch glass if you can guarantee a me playfield? Assuming you'd be willing to hold the glass for me until the playfield is ready?

#1341 5 years ago

Now that I see all of the pictures I am genuinely excited. I feel like I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel - a gorgeous new playfield for my witch!

#1342 5 years ago

Here is all my info: http://www.greatpinball.ca/
Not much of a web guy, & people mostly follow me here on pinside. My old web site was hijacked last year, & I lost my .com

Started the sanding process to Seawitch playfields. Next week I will be doing insert install.

I am planning on going to the Ottawa Pinball Show, with some local guys next month.

#1343 5 years ago

There is going to be many playfields done to meet demand Seawitch, & trickles of more Star Gazer in 2018. More if I have to early 2019. What is ending is Backglass production this year 2018. I have 30+ custom glass box sets left. When they are gone, I am done. With CPR & .

I've got two of your glasses already, they look great.

What glasses are offering at this time? Know I asked on a Quicksilver but that wasn't one you could do.

#1344 5 years ago

Stern Glass: Seawitch, Star Gazer, Catacomb, Nineball, Iron Maiden (inner, outer, pair), Lightning (also hidden nipples).
Seawitch update: Still sanding & prep the 10 playfields for inserts next week.

#1345 5 years ago

I'm firm for a SW playfield - I'm not prepaid.

thanks

#1346 5 years ago

john:
how many of us are pre-paid for the seawitch playfields?

#1347 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

john:
how many of us are pre-paid for the seawitch playfields?

Good question - are the ten you are working on enough to cover all of the prepaids?

#1348 5 years ago

I'm prepaid for a Seawitch playfield.

#1349 5 years ago

I think the prepaid Star Gazer run was around 40+ (77 done), & Seawitch was close to 30 - some refunds (3 or 4). The paper work is at the work shop in storage. Still have a few days left before inserts go in.
Also glass in stock ready to ship: Seawitch, Star Gazer, & Nineball.

#1350 5 years ago

I am prepaid for a seawitch playfield for a while now. Patiently waiting my turn.

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/27?hl=paddlepaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.