IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 52.
#1201 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

John,
I thought we were getting the option of not getting it cleared and we'll do it with someone local once we get it. Did those plans change?
Thanks.

based on the fact that they f'ed up the cnc program and created more issues with test #3, I think that we're going to have to wait a bit longer before we see cut playfields, ready to inserts and then printing to get to that point

#1202 6 years ago

John, my payment for Seawitch was sent on August 29, 2013. Hope your health improves and that we can finally see this project cross the finish line.

#1203 6 years ago

I have been waiting for over 4 years and will continue to do so.

Thanks

#1204 6 years ago

I'm still in, as I've stated previously my concern was with the black circles around the inserts not being 100% opaque, but that may have changed since I got my SG years ago. I've got other pins in line so I can push out finishing Seawitch for another year.

#1205 6 years ago

People will have the choice of clear coats included, or do it elsewhere & save $100 off. I don't understand the black ring question. The ink is the same, black or other. What you might be saying is this. Playfields are uv inkjet flatbed production, so double pass of white ink, & then double pass of color ink. So if you look at the edge of black rings to inserts there appears to be a white edge?, which is very minor. Traditional screens done like CPR or others, the black would overlap the previous colors & hide it. As for the cnc, more than likely they will go back to second cut file, & tweak it properly for corrections.

#1206 6 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

People will have the choice of clear coats included, or do it elsewhere & save $100 off. I don't understand the black ring question. The ink is the same, black or other. What you might be saying is this. Playfields are uv inkjet flatbed production, so double pass of white ink, & then double pass of color ink. So if you look at the edge of black rings to inserts there appears to be a white edge?, which is very minor. Traditional screens done like CPR or others, the black would overlap the previous colors & hide it. As for the cnc, more than likely they will go back to second cut file, & tweak it properly for corrections.

My SG, when the inserts are lit from behind, the black on the inserts then looks grey, letting light through it. However with the addition of printing the white under the black, that might help with the light leakage problem. I had to repaint all the circles on mine to eliminate the light leakage. Like I said this may have been taken care of since mine was one of the first printed, before they started printing the white.

#1207 6 years ago

I'm hanging in for the Seawitch. Will probably opt for non cleared.

#1208 6 years ago

I would be looking to order one when the time comes. Thanks for the hard work!

#1209 6 years ago

Was in for a SW, but had Neo paint my original last year. So glad, as this is way too long..and still questions about production? Dang. I'm sorry about your health issues, but you need to be realistic with people.
Been playing mine for 7 months. Cost me a couple hundred more, but that's fine.
Moving on..

IMG_20180113_180345183 (resized).jpgIMG_20180113_180345183 (resized).jpg

#1210 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Was in for a SW, but had Neo paint my original last year. So glad, as this is way too long..and still questions about production? Dang. I'm sorry about your health issues, but you need to be realistic with people.
Been playing mine for 7 months. Cost me a couple hundred more, but that's fine.
Moving on..

Nice Witch! I'm in it for the long haul. I know it has been years but I support guys like John for making repro parts. God knows there aren't enough people making new playfields. I'm sure the stress, time, and aggravation he has endured will make it worth while some day.

1 week later
#1211 6 years ago

get better, John. health first.

I'm still on board for one. We all appreciate your great efforts and can only imagine the frustrations and expenses involved producing playfields as an extracurricular project.

#1212 6 years ago

Ok the last few days i'm feeling better, still got a cough though on week 3 of this cold. So glass has gone to the printer for 3 Seawitch, & 3 Star Gazer that are owed to customers the last 1 - 4 months. Slow at the printer so these will go out next week. Took a few weeks for file to be corrected, & test print #2 to petg. Yo can see top bonus X is now clear, but I will verify the correction before next Seawitch is printed. 2 Star Gazer, & 1st Seawitch sanded after weep holes fixed. I will be meeting with the high end body shop to get 2 finish coats done for the 3 playfields. 1 Star Gazer is being redone. Next week I will get into the cnc shop & get Seawitch corrected hopefully for the last time. My first show in a few years will be at Pintastic, air is done I arrive Thursday suppertime in Boston.

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG

IMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPG

IMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPG

IMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPG

IMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPG

IMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG

IMG_0009 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPG

IMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0010 (resized).JPG

#1213 6 years ago

I also appreciate Johns efforts and look forward to receiving my seawitch playfield. I think if people would stop seeking absolute perfection that didnt exist when the game was manufactired and let him get the project concluded it would be better. Enough is enough.

#1214 6 years ago

thanks! the only good thing with corrections for cnc #3 was center the pop bumpers better. kind of hard to see it in the picture, but for me it looks way better. on the bad side was the extra length cut for the shooter lane, & a few other lense holes. I hope that things finally get into full production in April.

#1215 6 years ago

greatwichjohn SUPER excited to see that we are getting close to production!

1 week later
#1216 6 years ago

any updates john?

#1217 6 years ago

Been doing glass orders. 2 Star Gazer playfields returned from expensive clear coats after weep hole repairs for some lenses. 1 for a missed playfield last November $600 US, & i'm going through the list on pm's to see if some one is interested in a $500 US second. This one got repaired for weep holes, & some of the black ink wore through. I will post pictures tonight. If you pm in the past & interested let me know. You will get first crack at it, or I will then release it to new interest. Still working on the corrections for Seawitch.

Anyone looking for Stern Glass: Star Gazer (1 ready to go), Seawitch, Nine Ball, Lightning, Catacomb, & Iron Maiden. I only have 6 more tempered blanks in stock, one person is interested in 1 or 2 nine ball. Stern Glass production will stop until August 1, i'm moving & will be in the USA for 3-4 weeks starting the end of June (Pintastic Show, & 3 weeks in Austin, Texas). Marco Specialties will not be receiving glass until mid to end August.

I hope to verify the next Seawitch playfield test #4 this month. Get production started first wave in June, & order second wave cut during my vacation.

Here are pictures of Star Gazer. More than $200 US spent on initial finish clear coats, & final clear coats per playfield. People wonder why very little manufacturing of wood playfields. Missed tiny weep hole at 11 o'clock.

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG

IMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPG

IMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPG

IMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPG

IMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPG

IMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPG

#1218 6 years ago

Second Star Gazer + glass sold. Last Star Gazer is likely sold after approval the end of the month. So on to full Seawitch production mode. No more Star Gazer playfields until I finish Seawitch pre orders (already paid), & the last 2 years of people not on the prepaid list. I believe the last 6 glass blanks are spoken for, but send me a pm if looking for a glass. I go to the printer on Friday. here are pictures of #2 Star Gazer, & glass.

IMG_0015 (resized).JPGIMG_0015 (resized).JPG

IMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPG

IMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPG

#1219 6 years ago

All the glass is spoken for, maybe 1 spare in case of a problem. Look for a Seawitch playfield update next week.

1 week later
#1220 6 years ago

any update on the seawitch playfields?

#1221 6 years ago

I just received my Backglass from greatwichjohn and it's beautiful!

Can't wait to get a new playfield too!

1 week later
#1222 5 years ago

any seawitch updates in the last 3 weeks?

#1223 5 years ago

Sorry guys the delays are on me, & going over previous Seawitch playfields. To see what has taken place with test #3 & previous 2 playfields. I need to have all the info ready to see what went wrong with the cnc to correct the pop bumpers (even wood). My foot pain, & getting my house sold May 30 has slowed me down. Being off work the last year, & having a large house for 2 people has crippled me financially. My wife doesn't work, & the last 6 months I receive 50% of my pay (long term disability) for up to 2 years.

There are 2 people getting refunded June 1, & 1 playfield transferred for Seawitch. If you have had enough with the wait, let me know for a refund (June 1 or later for paypal refund). At this time costs of doing playfields has increased by hundreds of dollars. Anyone wanting to bail will save me money, time, & lots of expense. If your still in it the Seawitch playfields will definitely finish this year, & a few more Star Gazer playfields after that.

2019 I will no longer be doing new replacement playfields for Star Gazer, Seawitch, or any other title. Late 2019 might be the last for glass production. I had to order 300+ box sets for glass 8 years ago, & i'm finally down to 25%. The good news is that I only order 30 double playfield box sets at a time. If you want to start making pinball parts, it's a huge risk taking venture.

All the prepaid Star Gazer were done, along with new orders over the last 2 years (77 of 78). The Seawitch prepaid list is under 30 & dropping. No new prepaid for 2+ years have been taken. Many more people want in for a Seawitch playfield, & some for Star Gazer (Europe & USA). As usual CPR has said they are doing the same titles some day. Mirco is saying they will do playfields on small runs too, maybe not these but who knows.

I'm well aware of the prepaid pinball models, & the almost total failures. Glad i'm down to $10k - $15k US in prepays left for Seawitch. Almost the same amount I could of lost with another US large manufacturer that had serious money problems. If I do anything in the future there will be no prepays or lists.

I will be at Pintastic Show, & on vacation Austin, Texas first 2-3 weeks of July. I would say wait until mid June, & if your not happy ask for a refund.

Any new playfield orders will be increasing to $700 US shipped to USA. Stern glass production will resume in August. Pictures showing the last of production, & stuff that will be going to work shop this month from my house. I have enough Gottlieb glass blanks for 10+ years. Seawitch donor, #1 & #2 printed with clear being repaired & more finish clear, & #3 cnc with mistakes.

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG

IMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPG

#1224 5 years ago

Still in for my SeaWitch!

#1225 5 years ago

Hmm. its been 5 years since the start of this.
That is a long time.

#1226 5 years ago

Wow, thought it was still into year 4. Now 5 years of my life. Direct ink restorations might of been 8-10 years. Glad to see this finished this year! I'm not alone CPR might have titles waiting more than 5 years.

#1227 5 years ago

I'm still down!

Thanks John for your effort in all this.

#1228 5 years ago

Looking forward to my seawitch pf.

#1229 5 years ago

Im still in in the SW. I can wait.

#1230 5 years ago

I am still in for SeaWitch.

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I am still in for SeaWitch.

+1, worth the wait!

#1232 5 years ago

i am still in for Seawitch as well.

#1234 5 years ago

still in and a seawitch fan for life!

(although I noticed that mine isn't booting now and I need to look into that. I don't think that I've turned it on in over a year so it might be something as simple as pulling out and reseating the roms

#1235 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

still in and a seawitch fan for life!
(although I noticed that mine isn't booting now and I need to look into that. I don't think that I've turned it on in over a year so it might be something as simple as pulling out and reseating the roms

I would start re-seating the connectors first.

#1236 5 years ago

I'm still in for a Seawitch play field. I want to make mine pretty.

#1237 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I would start re-seating the connectors first.

did that already. wasn't the issue. I know I'm getting power, but on power up all I get is the red status light. no chimes. so the game is getting power, but the code isn't booting. next step, pull the roms and the processor, clean the legs and then reseat everything

#1238 5 years ago

Copy that. I hope you get it running. So right now you have solid led on mpu not flashing?

#1239 5 years ago

Seawitch was my first pin.
It connected me to, in my opinion, the coolest hobby on the planet which in turn introduced me to so many awesome people over the years that I would probably never have met.
I'm in for the long haul, thanks again for all your hard work John.

#1240 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Copy that. I hope you get it running. So right now you have solid led on mpu not flashing?

correct. the ann arbor pinball showcase is this weekend (which I'm a club member and working), so I'll look at it next week

#1241 5 years ago

For the guys waiting on Stern Seawitch & Nine Ball glass the last 2+ weeks. 2 Nine Ball Glass were printed & on storage rack at the printer. I was waiting on the other 3 Seawitch glass to be printed. The OCE flatbed printer ran into service problems this week. A tech was brought in today, so hopefully they get done early next week. I go to the printer on Fridays usually. They are located in another city.

#1242 5 years ago

When you say any new playfield orders, is that everyone that's not on the SW pre-pay, or is that everyone from this point on who wants to get added?

I'm still in for my seawitch.

#1244 5 years ago

there will be lots of playfields to finish seawitch run, & more star gazer ones. no list or pre pays.

#1245 5 years ago

I'll patiently wait for a Seawitch playfield. I'm not prepaid or on any sort of list but please note my commitment. Will firm up whenever and however is needed.

#1246 5 years ago

That's what he said.

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Will firm up whenever and however is needed.

#1247 5 years ago

I'm still in for Seawitch PF

1 week later
#1248 5 years ago

I’m still in for seawitch, let me know when you want the funds sent your way. Thanks for the hard work!

#1249 5 years ago

Still in on Seawitch and patiently waiting.

#1250 5 years ago

I'm still in for a Seawitch playfield.

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.