Topic Stats

• 1,743 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 946 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0051 (resized).JPG
IMG_0050 (resized).JPG
IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
2ABB73C8-C4E5-40A8-85A6-69B004C89AFE (resized).jpeg
93B12BF2-912A-49CD-9BCF-303BB4EDC974 (resized).jpeg
CA84813F-736A-42CD-BBFC-96B1649043E7 (resized).jpeg
6C458C31-4863-4255-A199-0455D23E5A9E (resized).jpeg
30F61477-B1F6-4300-A526-0ED2300B7B80 (resized).jpeg
35CDEC00-EB5E-4B8D-B8AF-10E9777CDAFC (resized).jpeg
IMG_0048 (resized).JPG
IMG_0047 (resized).JPG
IMG_0046 (resized).JPG
IMG_0045 (resized).JPG
IMG_0044 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG

There are 1743 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.
#851 3 years ago

Star Gazer Playfields: The last batch of 7 are getting some problems with flash drying. So the rollovers, some switchs, & G.I. holes show up worse as a milky white in the finish clear. I have had this problem in the past with direct ink restorations & a number of Star Gazer playfields. Some people are real picky about their finish clear coats. I'm not ever going to redo playfields again because of the time & cost if they suffer minor issues in finish clear coats. If I have to the price will be reduced to compensate for this. Since the playfields could come back the same way the second time.

The clear coat guy is the main CPR contractor. Great guy who provides a decent, & affordable finish clear coat service. I have used numerous pro body shops in the past, & their work is almost always worse than even these. So I hope that he doesn't get bent over for these problems.

The good news is I do 5 - 10 playfields out for finish clear. So the prepaid guys will get the better or best ones. Seawitch production should be finally cutting this month. The Star Gazer playfields that are left in production will be the last for this title by me. Same for Seawitch when the run is done, never again.

Anyone interested in a Star Gazer playfield, $500 US shipped to USA for ones with problems, & $600 US for good ones.

IMG_0419 (resized).JPG

IMG_0420 (resized).JPG

IMG_0421 (resized).JPG

IMG_0422 (resized).JPG

IMG_0423 (resized).JPG

IMG_0424 (resized).JPG

IMG_0425 (resized).JPG

IMG_0426 (resized).JPG

#852 3 years ago

Are you still taking on Sorcerer playfields?

#853 3 years ago

No Sorcerer or other restorations being done by me in the future. The playfields that are still here will get a overlay installed. Hopefully CPR does produce these next year or beyond.

Star Gazer: Other 3 of 7 came back Friday. Cardboard box sets should be ready Thursday or Friday.

IMG_0448 (resized).JPG

IMG_0449 (resized).JPG

IMG_0450 (resized).JPG

IMG_0451 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#854 2 years ago

Seawitch playfields are still at the shop. Waiting on the first cut one with the thicker plywood for this run. There should be enough extra Star Gazer playfields to meet demand in 2017. When there gone that's it. Spent the morning getting 54 double wall box sets of cardboard box's for playfield shipping. A skid of cardboard.

IMG_0470 (resized).JPG

IMG_0471 (resized).JPG

IMG_0472 (resized).JPG

#855 2 years ago

The last 7 Star Gazer playfields have been painted on the bottom side.

IMG_0482 (resized).JPG

IMG_0483 (resized).JPG

IMG_0484 (resized).JPG

IMG_0485 (resized).JPG

#856 2 years ago

Late to the Seawitch thread ,,,,,Are we still able to purchase those ?? THX NT...

#857 2 years ago

Yes Seawitch just starting. New orders are $600 US, & i'm not taking pre orders. The people on the pre order will get the best ones first.
I have the 7 Star Gazers graded, & i'm contacting those interested. If you don't get a response, message me here. I think i'm having site problems with www.greatpinball.com So I can't access my email there.

#41 previous $600 US playfield up for grabs at $600 US!

$500 US playfields - #48 very nice, #49 very good, #50 nice, #51 nice - trans red lenses for Special, #52 good, #53 nice
$450 US #54 worst of the bunch

Here are pictures of the worst one. All playfields are excellent for art & clear coat probably 99% of playfield. The problems with these 7 are GI holes bottom halve, rollovers, & some target/switch or bare wood areas. I will send out pictures & choices available. First come with paypal get that playfield, others choose from what's left.

IMG_0528 (resized).JPG
IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
IMG_0530 (resized).JPG
IMG_0531 (resized).JPG
IMG_0532 (resized).JPG
IMG_0533 (resized).JPG
IMG_0534 (resized).JPG
IMG_0535 (resized).JPG

#859 2 years ago

Which is better? Nice or Good?

#860 2 years ago

Guys I just got in. #50 is sold. I'm going through emails now. #53 is the next best one.

#861 2 years ago

#53 sold. #49 & #51 are the next best with the next person, & one waiting for a pick.

1 week later
#862 2 years ago

received no. 45 after being on "the list" for quite some time and I've got to say that it was worth the wait.

thanks john!!

#863 2 years ago

Any updates on seawitch? Getting ready to do a restore and need a playfield and bg

#864 2 years ago

Backglass is no problem. I'm still waiting on the cnc shop to verify a go on production of Seawitch playfields.

#865 2 years ago

If anyone has a Star Gazer needing a playfield. #49, #51, #52, & #54 are finished & ready to ship this year. First 3 are $500 US each, #54 is worse $450 US. Shipped to USA or Canada. These playfields are reduced for finish clear coat issues. Mostly the bottom rollovers, GI holes, target, switch, & sling holes. The majority of of the art 98% is perfect, only near stuff mentioned is effected. The final 20 will slowly dribble through final production as needed in 2017.

1 week later
#866 2 years ago

Christmas came early. Play field #41 arrived today in it bulletproof packaging. It.......is a thing of beauty.

#867 2 years ago

Any updates on the Space shuttles?

#868 2 years ago

Space Shuttle look like early 2017. I have a good file for the rare 6 lense version. I'm hoping to have someone correct this file for hot dog version. Which are the playfields here. The printer is getting some new equipment also.

Star Gazer #52 is sold. Later this week I will see what's up with Seawitch playfields.

#869 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Later this week I will see what's up with Seawitch playfields.

i'll buy the next one that comes out and is available

#870 2 years ago

Finished my SG playfield swap a few days ago!
Turned out pretty nice and plays great.

20161112_020942 (resized).jpg

20161112_020957 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#871 2 years ago

Seawitch Update: Sign shop that does the cutting has been extremely busy this fall. I talked with the owner & the guy who worked on Star Gazer. Should have some time next week to finish a final test cut. The plywood is 17/32" for Seawitch, so some adjustments need to be made. So hopefully I have final info & give the ok before xmas to start cnc work.

Star Gazer: 2 playfields left that are finished, but were the worst for crap dust caught in top finish clear coat. Discounting these to $400 US to USA shipped. So if you have a poor playfield & want a cheap upgrade here is your chance. Hopefully the clear coat contractor gets back to a high standard in 2017. I can provide better pictures, & explain what I see. #51 is the last discounted $500 US one sold.

After these 2 are gone, only the 20 playfields left. A few are sold & waiting delivery early 2017. All the pre orders were done & shipped. So when these are gone, no more future Star Gazer playfields from me.

IMG_0721 (resized).JPG

IMG_0722 (resized).JPG

IMG_0723 (resized).JPG

IMG_0724 (resized).JPG

IMG_0725 (resized).JPG

#872 2 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Looks nice! So I'm curious, could you tell us what parts you decided to install "new" during the swap vs. what got cleaned and reinstalled?

#873 2 years ago

The 2 discounted playfields got sold to one buyer. So that's it for this year for Star Gazer playfields.

#874 2 years ago

John, have a great xmas...
Thanks for all the work you do for the hobby.
-mof

#875 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Looks nice! So I'm curious, could you tell us what parts you decided to install "new" during the swap vs. what got cleaned and reinstalled?

-new drop targets
-new repro plastics (I got the last set. CPR might be making them though)
-new white target faces for zodiac targets (I worked with Bob Langelius to make these in opaque white and yellow since he already had the mold and was making translucent ones for Bally games)
-new flipper bats
-new rubber of course
-new spinners (a friend powder coated and screened new ones for me)

That's pretty much it. Everything else was re-used.
I also put in a new rectifier board because the old one was a bit hacked... oh, and a new speaker. Big difference!

#876 2 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

-new white target faces for zodiac targets (I worked with Bob Langelius to make these in opaque white and yellow since he already had the mold and was making translucent ones for Bally games)
-new spinners (a friend powder coated and screened new ones for me)

Hi, are these white faced zodiac targets going to be generally available that you know of?

My SG only has one original spinner so I'll looking at painting and/or decalling the other 2, or possibly all three if necessary so they will match. Can you provide more details on how you/your friend did yours (maybe in a new topic)?

Thx!

#878 2 years ago

That's the thread

Coincidentally, the pinsider that posted two posts after mine is the guy that did the powdercoating and screening of the spinners for me. I'm know he has a thread somewhere on maaca.org covering the process.

#879 2 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

That's the thread
Coincidentally, the pinsider that posted two posts after mine is the guy that did the powdercoating and screening of the spinners for me. I'm know he has a thread somewhere on maaca.org covering the process.

Thanks to your thread about the targets, I contacted Bob and bought a quantity of whites and a quantity of yellows. They are very nice quality.

2 weeks later
#880 2 years ago

Seawitch Update: I checked with the sign shop before xmas, & they had priority jobs. Checked in with the guy today, & he got most of it inspected for cnc program. He is busy again with priority jobs, & goes on vacation next week. So I will let you know if they are ready for a final test cut hopefully mid January. I will check with the shop after the first week of the new year, & report back.

On a plus note i'm down to the last Sorcerer to get a overlay installed. Still have a few other titles to do for overlays, & to finish up. Years of doing direct ink uv restorations for playfields ended earlier this year. No more playfields are being excepted by me. My focus is on glass production, Star Gazer (final 20), & Seawitch playfields in 2017.

IMG_0754 (resized).JPG

#881 2 years ago

Thanks for the update John.

Is there any opportunity to move the priority of these at the shop? Seems like the big bottleneck for months has been the shop. Now we are pushed back another 3 weeks. You had stated back in October that the cutting was going to take place in Oct.

Just a thought. Thanks.

#882 2 years ago

No I can't speed up the shops that I use for pinball parts. It's a lower priority, so that I can get better rates. You put pressure on them, & you might lose their services, or prices skyrocket.

Here is a example for ordering new tempered glass with NO LOGO. When I first started I had to go through a glass dealer for my first order (50) at retail. Next I was able to prove I needed to buy wholesale, & buy direct from the manufacturer. Well I have 3 choices, Montreal (they speak French & very little English) my first bunch of orders. P.E.I. where I got the next bunch. They were extremely hard to deal with. They either damaged their canopy truck on tree branches, or took down phone/internet lines. All of a sudden price went up 4X! Now my latest is PPG. All have screwed up NO LOGO on glass orders at times, which delays me.

I have had numerous problems with finish clear coat contractors. They like to rush & cut corners & destroy the end product. So I have to sand bare & start over. I'm lucky to use the CPR contractor, & he has problems that I have to swallow at times. There is no other source.

Printers usually hate pinball parts production with a passion. Lucky to use the 2 shops here for years, & others were a disaster!

#883 2 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Looks phenominal!

#884 2 years ago

No I can't speed up the shops that I use for pinball parts. It's a lower priority, so that I can get better rates. You put pressure on them, & you might lose their services, or prices skyrocket.

Now, I am getting a better understanding of the hassles you have to deal with. Your supplier has (for example) Boeing, General Motors, and Ford for customers. Those big guns call the shots and get priority because they are big bucks and long term. You, on the other hand, are small potatoes and, for all intents and purposes, a temporary customer with no bargaining power, at all.

Sort of like taking your car to the body shop and if you want cheap rates you let them put your car in the corner and work on it only when the shop is empty. Maybe you get your car painted in 3 months---or maybe you don't get it back for a year !

Am I close with this guess ?

#885 2 years ago

Can't wait for a new seawitch playfield and glass

#886 2 years ago

Seawitch Playfields: Just called the shop that does the cnc work. The guy who does the programing is on vacation until the 15th. So the owner wants to wait his return, finish up, & get the test board cut. The plywood for this run is 17/32", not the thinner 1/2" used on the Star Gazer run. The previous test cut last year was on the Star Gazer wood.

#887 2 years ago

Thanks for the update on SeaWitch, John...Happy New Year!

2 weeks later
#888 2 years ago

Just went to the sign shop & Seawitch test was on the table. Should get it back early next week. Go over it for approval. Standby for pictures next week.

#889 2 years ago

Just went to the sign shop & Seawitch test was on the table. Should get it back early next week. Go over it for approval. Standby for pictures next week.

Excited!

#890 2 years ago

looking forward to seeing it

#891 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

looking forward to seeing it

Ditto!!

#892 2 years ago

I see light at the end of the tunnel! Great news!

#893 2 years ago

Can't wait to see pics.

#894 2 years ago

Awesome! Can't wait to get my SeaWitch PF!

#895 2 years ago

I got the call from the owner this afternoon that it was done. Should pick it up early next week. Once the ok is given, they should be done quickly for cnc.

#896 2 years ago

Definitely excited for my Seawitch playfield. John is the man.

#897 2 years ago

Great news!

#898 2 years ago

Seawitch test playfield on thicker pinball plywood. You can see old test on thinner Star Gazer plywood run. I have to check out the new one before I give the ok for run at the shop. Post more pictures with lense test later.

IMG_0793 (resized).JPG

IMG_0794 (resized).JPG

IMG_0795 (resized).JPG

IMG_0796 (resized).JPG

IMG_0797 (resized).JPG

IMG_0798 (resized).JPG

#899 2 years ago

Looks great John!

#900 2 years ago

thanks for the updates john

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
There are 1743 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside