IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 52.
#601 8 years ago

I spoke with kevin @ CPR about the possibility of them re-running the SG plastics about a month ago.
when they run a set (for any machine), I believe their minimum is 60-80 sets. if marco's is willing to step up and order 30 sets like someone mentioned earlier, I'm sure that I can convince kevin to run them again. (I'll hold my NOS Joust playfield that he wants for cnc and dimpling positioning as hostage

seriously though, I'll make a few phone calls today to the appropriate parties and see if I can get the ball rolling.

with regard to the pop bumper caps, I spoke with steve young on this for both SG and SW about a month ago (when I approached him on running a set of the deep blue jeweled posts) and he stated that they didn't have set-up to perform the hot stamping around the bumper cap edges because it wasn't flat (although, I could have sworn seeing other bumper caps that they offer have something similiar)

#602 8 years ago

The main delay on production of playfields is the sign shop contractor doing the cnc work. They only do my work when it slows down at the shop. Things should improve soon, & I get playfields cut. I will be checking with them again the end of the week.

For the last few months the price to get on the wait list for either playfield is $600 US. I thought CPR didn't do Star Gazer plastic sets, from my talk with Kevin. But maybe he forgot. I know talking with Brennan at Marco Specialties, that they would likely help out with a order of 30 sets.

#603 8 years ago

thanks john. brennan's my go-to person @ marco's, I'll see what I can find out for everyone.

#604 8 years ago

Stargazer plastics is what I need. I have sea witch plastic set.

#605 8 years ago

the above is about SG plastics. SW plastics are still readily available

#606 8 years ago

I'm curious what those about to use their new Star Gazer playfield think about putting down mylar rings around the pop bumpers. Opinions?

#607 8 years ago

Not need in home used... Have 4 CPR playfeild and never had an issue..

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

I'm curious what those about to use their new Star Gazer playfield think about putting down mylar rings around the pop bumpers. Opinions?

I'm putting them down. I did on my Fast Draw as well. I got the adhesive ones from PBL and you can barely even see them after installed.

#609 8 years ago

Everyone,

I am trying to run a new batch of plastics but still working out a way to get them done. I'm in the middle of TV Pilot Season but will do my best to get them done early June.

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

I always wax, then put them down.

Easily removed if they wear out in 10 years.

#611 8 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

Everyone,
I am trying to run a new batch of plastics but still working out a way to get them done. I'm in the middle of TV Pilot Season but will do my best to get them done early June.

Get in contact with Brennan, Marco Specialties said they would probably get 30 sets.

#613 8 years ago

John, still plan on attending Allentown?

#614 8 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

John, still plan on attending Allentown?

No Allentown is out this year. I'm going to the New England show. I hope that Jack brings my Hobbit so I can have it for free play, & display some playfield & backglass production.

#615 8 years ago

Sort of off-topic, but I just got my Lightning backglass and it looks fantastic. My son says the original looked better - more proof that he just enjoys screwing with me for no good reason.

before-after-lightning.jpgbefore-after-lightning.jpg

#616 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sort of off-topic, but I just got my Lightning backglass and it looks fantastic. My son says the original looked better - more proof that he just enjoys fucking with me for no good reason.

lol, I like your son.

#617 8 years ago

Nice! There won't be anymore until maybe late May. I was using the same source as CPR for tempered glass with no logo, but they got there nickers in a knot over their own stupidity. A number of times they damaged the delivery truck (straight truck with a high canopy roof) by either driving too close to the curb with the maple trees on my street, or taking down numerous phone lines to peoples houses. I guess that went over well with the owners & the phone company! Well they decided to screw me over with high prices & add on charges. When I complained they cut me off as a customer. CPR has deliveries to their locations which don't have mature trees or low phone lines. So back to my original source of tempered glass Prelco near Montreal, Quebec. We will continue to work on me speaking English & them French. They have no problem delivering a 18 wheel transport truck up my dead end street, & delivering the huge wooden crated tempered glass to my driveway or lawn. I prefer them as a source & 80% of the glass over the years was from Prelco. They are a huge manufacture of tempered glass in Canada.

http://www.prelco.ca/en/home/

#618 8 years ago

John, I'm really impressed with how original this looks - resolution, light transmission and color are spot on. Whatever you did, keep doing it!

#619 8 years ago

The credit goes to the few guys that work on getting art done at 300 dpi or better, & the printer. I just get it done from glass blank to shipped product. The guys in Canada have found a good scanner, & this is helping out in making glass. Wish more people would help out with art, & I do compensate them.

#620 8 years ago

So there are 22 playfields left in production. 6 at printer, 6 just got second coat of clear & go to the printer this week. 10 going through final sanding next. Still waiting on the sign shop to cut another 12 Star Gazer playfields & start Seawitch cnc work (cutting). I will get some more help to push through Seawitch playfields. Which should be 3 - 4 months, or quicker if possible. So I will start the clock when first Seawitch Playfields are cut.

001.JPG001.JPG 003.JPG003.JPG
#621 8 years ago

I can't wait until the seawitch pf is a reality!

#622 8 years ago

Got mine yesterday and it is drop dead gorgeous. Now to find some plastics!

#623 8 years ago

I took over 5 of the 6 sealed playfields for printing. The one playfield I missed removing the molding stamp letter H on one 1" white lense at top. So the playfield gets sanded down to bare wood again.

The printer was doing the Star Gazer playfields today, so they might do all 11 today. They were setting up #3 when I was there.

#624 8 years ago

These look really good sir, How do I get in on the Seawitch playfield?

#625 8 years ago

Playfields are now $600 US each shipped for Star Gazer & Seawitch. Paypal: [email protected]

#626 8 years ago

just picked up the 11 playfields. they go out for clear coats next week. Sign shop is cutting the extra 12 Star Gazer playfields. Seawitch test cnc is ready for me to go over & inspect.

001.JPG001.JPG
002.JPG002.JPG

#627 8 years ago

Looking forward to getting mine when its my turn on the list. great work John, without you and the team involved we would all have clapped out machines that looked like s%*t.

#628 8 years ago

Awesome!

#629 8 years ago

Seawitch Update: I have the first sample that I need to go over. They missed some post holes at the top. These should be cut in the next 2 - 4 weeks in May. 20 playfields, & I will order in more wood for June. 12 extra Star Gazer playfields should be ready early next week from cutting.

001.JPG001.JPG 002.JPG002.JPG
#630 8 years ago

OOOOOHHH Yeah! That's what I wanted to see! John, sorry you couldn't make Allentown this year, I understand you can't go to all the shows, maybe next year. I brought my witch for free play and about a half a dozen guys begged me to sell it but a couldn't knowing these playfield will be done. Thanks for keeping the classic Sterns alive.

#631 8 years ago

Picked up 14 more new Star Gazer playfields. 11 printed ones waiting on pickup for finish clear coats. Working on sealing the last 11 of 40 playfields for printing. Seawitch still need to go over for next week. Still should be on track to cut 20 before the end of May.

001.JPG001.JPG 002.JPG002.JPG
#632 8 years ago

Those look awesome. If the Stargazer plastics are a go, I think I have to order one . I'll stay tuned.

John, I might be able to get scans of an NOS Nine Ball playfield. In the worst case scenario, I can probably get a mint scan of the center of the playfield. Would this be enough to possibly get to work on a repro Nine Ball PF, or do you prefer a complete, full scan?

#633 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Those look awesome. If the Stargazer plastics are a go, I think I have to order one . I'll stay tuned.
John, I might be able to get scans of an NOS Nine Ball playfield. In the worst case scenario, I can probably get a mint scan of the center of the playfield. Would this be enough to possibly get to work on a repro Nine Ball PF, or do you prefer a complete, full scan?

Neat.
I wonder who cleaned up the Star Gazer, Seawitch, and Sorcerer scans?
-mof

#634 8 years ago

The early main art guy for me was Mike Halse, for lots of my production. He has gone silent for many years now, & had more art ready to go. I need people to do the complete art package for anything I do.

#635 8 years ago

Do you want to do Comet next?

#636 8 years ago

At this time I would rather stay only on Classic Stern playfields. Leave it up to Planetary Pinball & their contractors to do Bally & Williams playfields.

#637 8 years ago

Great progress on them! Can't wait to get mine and get it in the game.

#638 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I might be able to get scans of an NOS Nine Ball playfield

Please! I would love a nine ball playfield

#639 8 years ago

Any progress from the guy remaking the yellow arrow inserts?

#640 8 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Any progress from the guy remaking the yellow arrow inserts?

I have to send him some arrows later this month.

The 11 playfields just got picked up & out for finish clear coats.

Had some problems with 5 playfields that I was sealing. So I will sand off & try again.

#641 8 years ago

That brings up the question of who owns the rights to old Stern stuff? I assumed Stern Pinball given the somewhat unbroken chain from Stern through DE to Sega.

#642 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That brings up the question of who owns the rights to old Stern stuff? I assumed Stern Pinball given the somewhat unbroken chain from Stern through DE to Sega.

I'm pretty sure Stern Electronics Inc officially closed from 84-86? before Gary started Pinstar and Data East Pinball was started. I know a few years ago Stern Pinball Inc still had employees that were working for them since the Chicago Coin purchase, but it wasn't officially the same business for all those years. I've heard that a Stern family member owns the SEI rights to vids/pins but she doesn't legally enforce any copyright laws. I'd guess that Steve Young probably knows.

#643 8 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I'm pretty sure Stern Electronics Inc officially closed from 84-86? before Gary started Pinstar and Data East Pinball was started. I know a few years ago Stern Pinball Inc still had employees that were working for them since the Chicago Coin purchase, but it wasn't officially the same business for all those years. I've heard that a Stern family member owns the SEI rights to vids/pins but she doesn't legally enforce any copyright laws. I'd guess that Steve Young probably knows.

I just got tired of saying the same thing over & over again on forums. Ex wife is my understanding.

#644 8 years ago

Hi all
Just thought those doing a Star Gazer restore might be interested in these, Found them in the pinball centre in Europe, Star Post - blue, faceted 1-3/16" http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/star-post-blue-faceted-1316-p-4878.html?language=english They also have Star Gazer Rubber Set, premium transparent, see through rubbers might be cool, anyway the shop is worth the look.

05095_gr[1].jpg05095_gr[1].jpg
#645 8 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

Hi all
Just thought those doing a Star Gazer restore might be interested in these, Found them in the pinball centre in Europe, Star Post - blue, faceted 1-3/16" http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/star-post-blue-faceted-1316-p-4878.html?language=english They also have Star Gazer Rubber Set, premium transparent, see through rubbers might be cool, anyway the shop is worth the look.

05095_gr[1].jpg (Click image to enlarge)

they must have had more made. the last time that I looked, both the short and tall posts were out of stock.

I took delivery of some of their premium transparent rubber rings, but some of the rings must have been sitting around for years as there was a slight yellowing to them. I would suggest going through titan pinball if you want a decent priced, quality transparent ring

#646 8 years ago

No worries Thanks for the tip.

1 week later
#647 8 years ago

Any news on the Stargazer playfields? Im still anxiously awaiting mine.

Mike

#648 8 years ago

11 are still out for clear coats. Last 11 still getting ready for sealing again, of the original run of 40. 14 new ones cnc'd need to be gone over, missed some drill holes. Trying to get the last batch to the printer before early June.

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

11 are still out for clear coats. Last 11 still getting ready for sealing again, of the original run of 40. 14 new ones cnc'd need to be gone over, missed some drill holes. Trying to get the last batch to the printer before early June.

Okay thanks for the update

#650 8 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

14 new ones cnc'd need to be gone over, missed some drill holes.

Not sure if the CNC work is always done exactly the same for all the StarGazer playfields (same software and files driving the CNC?), so just thought I'd ask if those same drill holes were also missed on already shipped playfields? Thanks for confirming either way John.

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.