Topic Stats

• 1,994 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

676AC90F-4225-4DFA-9D8D-308D256312A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
20200515_175332.jpg
20200515_175006.jpg
20200515_174703.jpg
IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
IMG_0043 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0040 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG

There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 40.
#451 5 years ago

No need to clean mine out, I clear my own playfields so I know what it's like and have done it many times.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Here are pictures of the playfield getting sanded & put back through sealing & printing for the second time. Seems harder to remove than traditional screened playfields

Well that's a pain for you in this specific instance (needing to sand bare the playfield), but sounds awesome from the standpoint of durability of the ink on the finished playfields.

#453 5 years ago

Yes the printer was complaining big time over having to redo it. It's not as bad for me with new playfields since I don't have to mask & spray white paint like on the restorations. So wipe it down again with Naptha & 2 coats of Varethane.

#454 5 years ago

I would stay away from power tools. The drill bit to clean is done with finger spinning & movement which shouldn't break or damage the tabs.

It is easy enough to put a small piece of masking over the middle so it does not get into the heart. The rest is easy. Rollovers can never get cleaned out perfectly without risk of damage. It is just simple to put a round masking dot over the center. About 1/2 inch. Then we just clean the edges. My pet peeve on CPR playfields is filling these with clear. Burns me up.

#455 5 years ago

These inserts keep the clear from getting into the rollover at all.

248139-i.jpg
#456 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

248139-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Thanks. Like I have said earlier the ones I buy don't have it. In the past playfields I bought with these were also hard to remove, & definitely had way less clear coats.

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

248139-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

The problem with those solid inserts on the rollovers is when cleared it seals the edges. So you would have to sand the clear back down to the edge. I've tried it, and when you try to remove them it will pop the clear off the insert.

#458 5 years ago

The first 6 playfields with white under the plastics gets picked up in the morning. I bundle them up in pairs, but this one is a bundle of all 6. They get placed face to face with heavy brown kraft paper in between. Sometimes they get racked, but CPR stuff is taking up all the slots. I'll post pictures of the other 5 with clear in the morning. Maybe more guys will jump & take one since it might be April now after I return from Texas for a white one.

#459 5 years ago

Looking forward to getting the playfield. It will be going into my "interpretation" of a Star Gazer. Not a single screw or anything came from an original Star Gazer game.
Long road ahead of me, but I've already came a long way. Ready to start populating the new playfield with the assemblies and new parts so I can start building the wiring harness.
IMAG0261.jpg

#460 5 years ago

Dude.....that's a lot of work and I thought I was going that route too, but luckily I managed to find one after about a 4 year search. Good luck, I hope it works out.....it will be one nice looking machine!

#461 5 years ago

Wow! You made some good progress!

#462 5 years ago

dgoett and Redketchup are manufacturing Star Gazer 870 and 871 !! Great job !

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

dgoett and Redketchup are manufacturing Star Gazer 870 and 871 !! Great job !

Oh no! Stop! They will devalue our Star Gazers!

Dave (proud owner of a negative equity MM)

#464 5 years ago

The first 6 playfields with white under the plastics gets picked up in the morning. I bundle them up in pairs, but this one is a bundle of all 6. They get placed face to face with heavy brown kraft paper in between. Sometimes they get racked, but CPR stuff is taking up all the slots. I'll post pictures of the other 5 with clear in the morning. Maybe more guys will jump & take one since it might be April now after I return from Texas for a white one.

The bundle of 6 white under the plastics got picked up. I will see them back the first week in April. The other 5 bare wood under plastics just got back, look very nice. Have a look at the pictures if you are wanting to get your playfield fast I suggest you think about 1 of these. There is no difference between #3 - #6, & likely #7 - #12 for ink rings. #2 you can see more evidence of this (playfield pictures on Centaur), same as #1 that arrives in California next week. The finish clear coats really blend things better on the inserts.

#2 is going to a Canadian who helps out on new backglass projects. Thanks Kev!

If #3 - #6 gets claimed, I will take the High Speed restoration #1 to Texas Pinball Festival. There was a problem with the clear on the left rollover.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG
#465 5 years ago

Still waiting to see if Marco Specialties wants 2 or 3 of the 4 playfields.

#466 5 years ago

Is there a mailing list for the people who preordered one, or just this thread? I'm in on one (paid back in September/October I think) but haven't seen any info about picking one or anything, just wanted to make sure that I didn't fall off the radar somehow. Thanks

#467 5 years ago

So what are people thinking for coating on the backside of their new playfield? Gray, varethane or bare?

My original has gray on it so that would be the choice from an authenticity standpoint. Varethane might seal better and be easier to clean. Either gray or varethane would seem to be a better choice than bare from both a cleanability and moisture resisting standpoint.

#468 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

My original has gray on it so that would be the choice from an authenticity standpoint.

Me too.....with or without Varathane

#469 5 years ago

When I get back from Texas, early April. The guys starting at the top of the list will be contacted. The first 6 with white will be ready to ship. There are 4 more in for printing, & this week more will get sealed. I will bring these ones to the printer on March 16. All the restorations I prefer gray back.

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

So what are people thinking for coating on the backside of their new playfield? Gray, varethane or bare?
My original has gray on it so that would be the choice from an authenticity standpoint. Varethane might seal better and be easier to clean. Either gray or varethane would seem to be a better choice than bare from both a cleanability and moisture resisting standpoint.

***Playfields will be painted gray on the backside. Owners will buy their own white star rollover buttons, & carefully clean out the clear from the inserts. Be prepared to carefully drill out holes to clean out the clear coat or to get the right size hole.***

This is a slow learning curve producing new playfields, & I apologize for all the flip flopping of my posts. People will be contacted as their playfields are getting ready to ship out this spring.

Roy has moved from his #11 spot, & was the only one interested in a clear one from the start. He decided to buy another one. There are 2 left if anyone is interested in doing the same or jumping forward in the list. There is no difference except for the white missing. If these sell Marco Specialties will not get them, unless they are still available early this week.

Since the pre order is sold out & I made the mistake with the first 6 playfields missing white under the plastics. I'm going to get another 12 playfields cut this month. Still waiting for Seawitch cut file to be finished.

2 more going to the printer Monday am. I need to check on Lightning glass file for a test.

001.JPG 002.JPG
#471 5 years ago

All 6 first run playfields are sold out. Marco Specialties is taking the last 2 with clear under the plastics. I talked with the printer & they are happy to quickly run them through printing. So I'm still trying to get a bunch over before I leave. I did authorise another 12 to be cut at my other sign contractor that does my cnc work & masking.

Just painted the last 5 playfields. I'm busy filling a Marco order of glass & the 2 playfields this week. Also my France distributor is looking for glass, recent Iron Maiden, & restocking others.

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG
#472 5 years ago

Wow, I'm very excited. Just got home, and found a nice package in my house. First and foremost, thank you John for doing such a great job. This playfield is nothing short of awesome. The packaging was done perfectly. Once I started to open the box, I noticed that it said " star gazer #1 ". That's really a treat. As I was getting the playfield out, I first noticed that unique scent of clear coat. Once the playfield was out, I was mezmorised by that beautiful blue color, and the smoothness of that clear coat on the playfield. It's just hard to explain, but this playfield is done really nicely. Can't wait for seawitch to get here. Here are some pics that I like to share.

image.jpg
image-780.jpg
image-958.jpg
image-882.jpg
image-556.jpg
image-430.jpg

#473 5 years ago

Wow clear look awesome!

#474 5 years ago

OK...now I'm getting really stoked!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#475 5 years ago
Quoted from s2k4ary:

Once I started to open the box, I noticed that it said " star gazer #1 ".

Since you got the first one it's MANDATORY that you post pics of your restoration progress....State law.

#476 5 years ago

John, even with the "issues", that playfield looks amazing!

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

OK...now I'm getting really stoked!

Me too Chris, me too!

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Since you got the first one it's MANDATORY that you post pics of your restoration progress....State law.

Lol, I wish. It's just one problem, I'm still looking for one to buy, but will not give up my search. Here are a few more pics during daytime.

image.jpg image-942.jpg image-139.jpg
#478 5 years ago

Beautiful.....just beautiful. Good luck with your search. Took me 4 or 5 years, and if you're like me, you'll end up paying a buttload of cash for a machine you're just going to rip the playfield out of anyway.

In hindsight, no regrets. I would do it all over again. I'm just happy to have a machine.

#479 5 years ago

Yeah it took me close to 4 years to find mine. Overpaid but very happy with it.

#480 5 years ago

That playfield looks amazing, Can't wait to get mine and turn my basket case back into a better than new Star Gazer.

#481 5 years ago

wow, that looks incredible. nice work john!!

although, I'm in the same boat as s2k4ary in still looking for a star gazer, I did manage to find and pick up my project seawitch 2 weekend ago

it wasn't able to do much more than power up at the sellers home, but 6 hours of tech work later, I've got it 80% functional and am just waiting on a parts order to hopefully clear up the remaining issues (2 jet bumpers and the upper flippers not working).

I'm so glad that I jumped on the bandwagon for playfields and backglasses for both of these

#482 5 years ago

For those interested... I will have Seawitch & Star Gazer PREMIUM STENCIL KITS available in about a month or so. You might as well restore your cabinet to match these nice playfields. I will post to this topic when they are ready for sale.

You can also visit my site to see all my stencil kits I have available.
Pimp

www.pinballpimpstencils.com

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

For those interested... I will have Seawitch & Star Gazer PREMIUM STENCIL KITS available in about a month or so.

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

For those interested... I will have Seawitch & Star Gazer PREMIUM STENCIL KITS available in about a month or so. You might as well restore your cabinet to match these nice playfields. I will post to this topic when they are ready for sale.
You can also visit my site to see all my stencil kits I have available.
Pimp
http://www.pinballpimpstencils.com

Nice more stuff the better! Here is a picture of Marco Specialties 2 playfields ready to ship in my crate. Hard to believe but there are likely worldwide owners looking for a new playfield that didn't know they are being made.

001.JPG
#485 5 years ago

That's quite a stack of b-b-b-b-boards you got there John.

#486 5 years ago

Dear Pinballpimp

Please make a Nineball stencil

#487 5 years ago

Just got the crate over to the depot for Marco Specialties, & they will inspect one or both on arrival. I'm sure they would like to see more playfield production, & are willing to help out those needing lenses from Foremost Plastics. I also went to the printer who had another 6 printed. I will inspect them tonight, so it looks like I'm almost half way through printing 18 of 40.

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Please make a Nineball stencil

I would like to see a Nine Ball stencil and repro playfield as well!

#489 5 years ago

Can anyone PROVIDE me scans of their Nine Ball machine. If so, PM me.

J

#490 5 years ago

Here are pictures of the latest inked playfields. The first 6 white ones are finished clear coats & come in the morning. The next 6 get picked up & done while I'm away in Texas.

007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG
#491 5 years ago

John...I'd really love to know where I am on the list...
--

#492 5 years ago

Please check your payment & contact me 2013. It looks like the first group is April 14, next April 15, April 21 3rd group. Chris looks like early May 6 but my list could be wrong.

#493 5 years ago

Thanks John. I can wait. It's good to know that I am ON the list.
--

#494 5 years ago

those look incredible. great work john! I can't wait to receive mine and see what the seawitch repro's will look like as you start tackling those

#495 5 years ago

Ready to get mine also!

Everything is here to make my owe stargazer... I'm ready to built the playfield harness. Should be an awesome day when I will receive it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-stargazer-crazy-project/page/2#post-1681691

I also had a close friend who recently acquire a stargazer... I will have a template to built the harness... Should be a lot easier

#496 5 years ago

First 6 white ones are here, & all will go out to owners on Monday or Tuesday. Just letting them air dry some more. I will likely package them Sunday night at the earliest. Most playfields have minor warping, & the weight of stuff will flatten them out when installed. Along with the wood strips mounted to the playfield. Next 6 should be ready to ship early April (first week). I will ask that you wait for the next group if you are going to TPF or on vacation that week.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG
#497 5 years ago

I don't know where I am in the list, but I will be going to TPF and am in no hurry. You can bump me down if you want.

#498 5 years ago

Still need to cover shipping on mine John to Australia, so let me know when your ready to ship, I'm pretty sure I am way down the list.

#499 5 years ago

John, I am going to be at the TPF. Are you bringing a stack and mine ? I also have a glass.

#500 5 years ago

I have another bad cold I'm trying to get through. So not much is going on pinball wise. The playfields with white are still fresh from clear coats. So I'm seeing if I can get them out before my flight to Austin, Texas early Tuesday afternoon. Tonight & Sunday we are expecting a big snow with strong winds. Also have to try to get to my regular job the next 2 days before my vacation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Los Alamos, NM
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 1994 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 40.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside