Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballAir
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Let me start out by saying that I think the hardtops will save untold numbers of popular games. I also realize that not everyone has the ability to match colors, touch up and clear coat a playfield. Of those who cannot do it themselves, most cannot afford to pay someone to restore a playfield for them. For these people, hardtops will make an otherwise lackluster game a show piece.

I am not sure how they will wear over time.

My question is: if you were looking to buy a game with the assumption that at some point down the road you will get tired of it and sell it, would you prefer a hardtop or a real clear coated playfield? Would the real playfield hold its value better than a hardtop game?

#2 4 years ago

If the hardtops have no wear issues and there is no realistic, noticeable difference then I would probably prefer the hardtop because it is likely cheaper. If it plays the same it wouldn't matter much to me. Since I haven't seen one in person, I can't be 100% sure but as long as they look similar to original then it seems like a good option.

#3 4 years ago

There were some at Allentown and they look fabulous.
    I got to play a few games and really didn't notice a difference in game play.

#4 4 years ago

Would always prefer an original.
    Just a personal preference.

#5 4 years ago

If all else is equal between two games; one hardtop and one nicely touched up and cleared original. I would pick the cleared original.

Why? I view a properly touched up and cleared original holds more value than essentially a playfield protector with art.

That said, I do understand that not all games warrant the effort and cost of a repro playfield or touched-up/cleared restoration. Hence, the demand for hardtops. Therefore, I don't see hardtop restorations holding equal value.

#6 4 years ago

Hardtops play really bad....

#7 4 years ago

I too would prefer real playfield.
    Also, since they will only be made for popular games, it is unlikely that many of the games I am interested in will have one available.
    I do my own restorations so it is unlikely I would purchase one.
    But I was tempted by a couple of games at Pinfest. I just could not decide if they were worth the money with hardtop pf.

#8 4 years ago

Is this really a question? I don't see why anyone would want a hardtop over an original in good shape. Hardtops are a good option as a last resort.

#9 4 years ago

Maybe I'm just a terrible player, but I'd take a hardtopped playfield over a super worn playfield with raised inserts any day. I think they play just fine.

That being said, I'll always prefer an original playfield, or at least a faithful reproduction from CPR and the likes.

#10 4 years ago

Original cleared pf every time.

I've said this before and gotten laughed at, but i like to hear the ball roll around on the playfield. And it DOES play differently. I've had a hardtop for my Evel Knievel that I haven't installed yet hoping CPR spits some pf's out instead.

#11 4 years ago

Original by far.

#12 4 years ago

original for me too

#13 4 years ago

Trick question?

#14 4 years ago

As far as hearing the ball, I think clear coated pfs are quieter than non clear coated. But that discussion is for another thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prefer-a-hardtop-or-clear-coated-original-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.