Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScoreMotor.JPG
wopses.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin8all.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've just started a restoration of a Bally Fireball and the metal parts in the backbox need a bit of work.

This may be the remnants of a wasps nest...whatever it is, it has caused corrosion (or whatever was sprayed to remove it has) to the backbox metal.

wopses.jpgwopses.jpg

The corrosion you see affects quite a lot of the metal parts and I've bought a compressor and sandblasting cabinet and have had great results (I do wonder why it's taken this long to buy one, it's a bit of a game-changer)...

Has anyone tried powdercoating backbox, or underfield, parts to protect against future corrosion and just to make it look better, or is this akin to pissing on a Picasso and keeping-it-steel is a better idea?

For the record, I'd never consider coating or changing any of the visible parts (I'm not even much of a fan of LEDs in newer pins) but wonder if it might enhance the behind-the-scenes parts.

#7 9 years ago

Looks awesome, thanks for the tip!

#12 9 years ago

@ccotenj I'm from New Zealand - the pin came from California; I'm hoping the little b*stards can't fly that far

My dream is to have the pin living in a climate controlled household. If it doesn't end up smelling like something fresh out of an IKEA box it may be banished to the less-climate-controlled man shed.

Old pinball fragrance may be a topic for another thread, I'm guessing that's been asked before

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin8all.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-powder-coat-your-em?tu=pin8all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.