Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScoreMotor.JPG
wopses.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Looks like mud dauber wasp nests.
If it were mine I'd disassemble the parts and clean the corrosion with wire wheel and polish it with #000 steel wool. Then apply a coat or two of Miniwax paste wax. The paste wax prevents corrosion. Don't use car wax because it offers no corrosion prevention.
The paste wax is strange stuff. I discovered this a couple decades ago working on antique radios. I'd wire wheel the steel chassis and polish with steel wool then wax. If I waited to apply wax for more than a few hours the steel would begin to rust. Those old chassis treated decades ago are still rust free.
I found it by wire wheeling the protective coating off of a set of nails and trying various products. Car waxes rusted right away.
amazon.com link »
You can pick a can up at any hardware store.
I used the same process to clean up my mouse-pee corroded Gottlieb Spirit of 76 score reel:
ScoreMotor.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

It's interesting, this discussion was had before. I use Evaporust to remove rust from parts. I've used it on many lockdown bar receivers that always seem to be very rusty.

I've never done anything to protect them after the Evaporust bath. None of them have ever rusted again.

A wire wheel is going to remove the corrosion but I think the Evaporust neutralizes it where it won't come back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-powder-coat-your-em?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.