Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by goldenboy232
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ScoreMotor.JPG
wopses.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I've just started a restoration of a Bally Fireball and the metal parts in the backbox need a bit of work.

This may be the remnants of a wasps nest...whatever it is, it has caused corrosion (or whatever was sprayed to remove it has) to the backbox metal.

wopses.jpg

The corrosion you see affects quite a lot of the metal parts and I've bought a compressor and sandblasting cabinet and have had great results (I do wonder why it's taken this long to buy one, it's a bit of a game-changer)...

Has anyone tried powdercoating backbox, or underfield, parts to protect against future corrosion and just to make it look better, or is this akin to pissing on a Picasso and keeping-it-steel is a better idea?

For the record, I'd never consider coating or changing any of the visible parts (I'm not even much of a fan of LEDs in newer pins) but wonder if it might enhance the behind-the-scenes parts.

#2 5 years ago

Caswell zinc plating kit may be preferable. There was a recent thread on the kit.

#4 5 years ago

Looks like mud dauber wasp nests.
If it were mine I'd disassemble the parts and clean the corrosion with wire wheel and polish it with #000 steel wool. Then apply a coat or two of Miniwax paste wax. The paste wax prevents corrosion. Don't use car wax because it offers no corrosion prevention.

The paste wax is strange stuff. I discovered this a couple decades ago working on antique radios. I'd wire wheel the steel chassis and polish with steel wool then wax. If I waited to apply wax for more than a few hours the steel would begin to rust. Those old chassis treated decades ago are still rust free.

I found it by wire wheeling the protective coating off of a set of nails and trying various products. Car waxes rusted right away.

amazon.com link »

You can pick a can up at any hardware store.

I used the same process to clean up my mouse-pee corroded Gottlieb Spirit of 76 score reel:

ScoreMotor.JPG

#5 5 years ago

Not to derail the thread but that's a nice looking score reel!!!

#6 5 years ago

More like that's a nice looking score motor.

#7 5 years ago

Looks awesome, thanks for the tip!

#8 5 years ago

Those wasps are annoying things.
I must of removed 10 of those mud nests from my machine's backbox when I first received it and I found another 2 the other day hidden under the wiring loom.
I have been lucky though mine were all on wood, so didn't cause any corrosion.
No so lucky with the coinbox door though that has lots of corrosion.

A sandblaster is the one thing I don't have in my workshop, but would really like to have one.

I'm just new to repairing pinballs so I won't comment whether to power coat or not.

#9 5 years ago

Powder coating sounds like a good idea...My coin door and assorted metal parts are really rusty so I'm thinking I'll spray them matt black...I already did the rusty legs and they came up great after sanding. Black powdercoating would be even better

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Looks like mud dauber wasp nests.
If it were mine I'd disassemble the parts and clean the corrosion with wire wheel and polish it with #000 steel wool. Then apply a coat or two of Miniwax paste wax. The paste wax prevents corrosion. Don't use car wax because it offers no corrosion prevention.
The paste wax is strange stuff. I discovered this a couple decades ago working on antique radios. I'd wire wheel the steel chassis and polish with steel wool then wax. If I waited to apply wax for more than a few hours the steel would begin to rust. Those old chassis treated decades ago are still rust free.
I found it by wire wheeling the protective coating off of a set of nails and trying various products. Car waxes rusted right away.
amazon.com link »
You can pick a can up at any hardware store.
I used the same process to clean up my mouse-pee corroded Gottlieb Spirit of 76 score reel:
ScoreMotor.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

It's interesting, this discussion was had before. I use Evaporust to remove rust from parts. I've used it on many lockdown bar receivers that always seem to be very rusty.

I've never done anything to protect them after the Evaporust bath. None of them have ever rusted again.

A wire wheel is going to remove the corrosion but I think the Evaporust neutralizes it where it won't come back.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Odessa:

Powder coating sounds like a good idea...My coin door and assorted metal parts are really rusty so I'm thinking I'll spray them matt black...I already did the rusty legs and they came up great after sanding. Black powdercoating would be even better

i have often thought about gold-plating the metal on my royal guard to properly pimp it out...

@the op... as far as powdercoating interior parts to protect them... do you plan on allowing wasps to move back in?

i'm being a wiseguy there on the wasps, but keep in mind that once you have cleaned the machine and it is living in a climate controlled household, the environmental conditions aren't going to be as conducive to destruction...

#12 5 years ago

@ccotenj I'm from New Zealand - the pin came from California; I'm hoping the little b*stards can't fly that far

My dream is to have the pin living in a climate controlled household. If it doesn't end up smelling like something fresh out of an IKEA box it may be banished to the less-climate-controlled man shed.

Old pinball fragrance may be a topic for another thread, I'm guessing that's been asked before

#13 5 years ago

i wouldn't trust em not to get there... they are persistent little things...

yea, there's a few topics about removing that wonderful "old pinball fragrance"... i'm rather fond of it myself, but there are ways to get most of it out...

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i wouldn't trust em not to get there... they are persistent little things...
yea, there's a few topics about removing that wonderful "old pinball fragrance"... i'm rather fond of it myself, but there are ways to get most of it out...

The old smell is part of the charm for me. I love it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,950 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Jackson, KY
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Victorville, CA
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6,800.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
$ 29.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside