(Topic ID: 292522)

Would you play an em at location for $1 per game?

By metalguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60DCC3F7-4767-4D20-8D9C-D8F2604D4473 (resized).png
    0CA657BA-72DC-4C16-A787-915C7561122B (resized).png
    0123ABDE-4939-4F6F-BDF9-C8CF9B56D27C (resized).png
    7FFD147A-9078-4394-A76F-AFBD32A4A24E (resized).png
    D191DC28-B1A8-4DCA-AD9E-696858ABDE37 (resized).jpeg
    7E02F8F5-45C2-449E-BDD7-5E16938420FD (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 3.39.46 PM (resized).png
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

But how many more would you get with replays?

Zero

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

I want to put a few of my games at my shop running them with sba coin mechs. Here in new england electricity cost alone is crazy even with leds instead of incandescents. And on top of that my town has a $25 dollar a year vending stamp I have to put on each machine. .25 cents just wont cut it. Not trying to make a bunch of money just break even or better after maintenance and electric. I also have a stock pile of sba coins and presidential coins.
    No fireball, no wizard, no rare stuff. And no junk ie big ben, el toro. Just average games like Aladdins Castle, Target alpha, Old Chicago.

There isn't a chance I would pay $1 per game for an EM. If there were other options there I probably wouldn't even pay $.25 per game unless all I had was some loose change burning a hole in my pocket.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

I want to put a few of my games at my shop running them with sba coin mechs. Here in new england electricity cost alone is crazy even with leds instead of incandescents. And on top of that my town has a $25 dollar a year vending stamp I have to put on each machine. .25 cents just wont cut it. Not trying to make a bunch of money just break even or better after maintenance and electric. I also have a stock pile of sba coins and presidential coins.
    No fireball, no wizard, no rare stuff. And no junk ie big ben, el toro. Just average games like Aladdins Castle, Target alpha, Old Chicago.

Who even has dollar coins??

#54 2 years ago

No.

#55 2 years ago

Bingo! That right there would be your real problem!

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The United States has been making them again since the Susan B Anthony coin starting in 1979, followed by the Sacagawea in 2000 and variations thru today.

Now who actually stocks them for use is a different matter.

LTG : )

#57 2 years ago

Maybe one or two games... if it was set for replay... and the replay levels weren't too bad... and it was set for 5 balls... and match was enabled... and it was a good single player or a really good multiplayer. I ain't paying no buck to play three balls on a Bally 'Circus'.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does your skin burn if you touch anything but a JJP?

Nope, I'm open to Stern and Spooky too. I've enjoyed Star Wars, JP and RM.

#59 2 years ago

So down at the museum a guy charges $1.25 a token, or 5 for $5 to play his 1950’s gottliebs. Nearby I charge 50 cents a game for my newer games. By newer I mean 50-70 years newer. Maybe I’m the sucker...

#60 2 years ago

I have plenty of dollar coins. These will not be on route but at my location. Someone wants to check out some old pinball games they give me a 5er I give 5 Susan b’s.

I am leaning towards 1 game for a dollar with free games/ match turned on. Most of my games are mid grade players but working condition some better than others. I might do one day a week 2 games for a dollar. Who knows maybe no one will play. Maybe it will work well.
    Also at a dollar a game less plays means less wear and tear. If it doesn’t it’s easy enough to change out coin mechs to .25c
    In Connecticut everything is expensive and there are no ems at locations anywhere that I know of.

#61 2 years ago

I’m also thinking of non pin dudes that walk in and say man I remember that from when I was a kid gotta play it

#62 2 years ago

I wouldn't play an old EM for free. Dull as dishwater, the lot of 'em.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I wouldn't play an old EM for free. Dull as dishwater, the lot of 'em

Don't hold back... tell us how you really feel

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

I’m also thinking of non pin dudes that walk in and say man I remember that from when I was a kid gotta play it

Get a Grand Prix. Everyone remembers it.

#65 2 years ago

I have a problem paying a dollar for modern day pins.

#66 2 years ago

Maybe if it was a centigrade37 so I can see what all the God damn hype is about

#67 2 years ago

Never in a million years.

I mean, EM games can go buy pretty quick. Really quick. Some balls you won’t even touch. People will put up with that for $.25. They’ll walk after one game of that crap for a buck.

#68 2 years ago

Not a chance.

#69 2 years ago

Just a note from the field ...

I had 3 pins in a brewery ...

DE guns and Roses (3 balls)
    Radical (3 balls)
    Wizard (5 balls)

All at $1 (New Zealand) a play.

The Wizard was usually the biggest earner.

So ... people will play them. If they are a good game, playing nice and fast, set up sweetly.

5 balls (rather than 3) is a good value proposition for some people.

(I do appreciate that NZ is a different market to the USA)

rd

#70 2 years ago

No. I'd go 50 cent a game tops. If I have a good time odds are I'll play another. My local place has a mix from new games all the way done to ems. No way I'm paying $1 to play Drop A Card when there is something like a Deadpool for a dollar across the room. They do 50 cents for early SS like Gorgar and the couple of EMs they have and I'm fine with that

#71 2 years ago

What does PHOF charge for the EM's?

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

What does PHOF charge for the EM's?

I was there last year. It's was 25 cents

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Some countries don't have dollar bills. Or pennies even. Crazy times.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

You should add a poll.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

I was there last year. It's was 25 cents

Same as Wizards World (131 pins) in my neck of the woods. EM: 25 cents, The 90's: 50 cents, newer $1 (currently set on 5 ball for now)

#76 2 years ago

Id be most comfortable at .50 a play. Mayyybe 3 for $2???

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The Wizard was usually the biggest earner.

The Wizard when I dropped it off to the brewery.

Cool photo, if I do say so myself.

rd

7E02F8F5-45C2-449E-BDD7-5E16938420FD (resized).jpeg7E02F8F5-45C2-449E-BDD7-5E16938420FD (resized).jpeg
    #78 2 years ago

Absolutely yes! ... if it is a game I would be interested in playing. Most of my machines are Wedgeheads. If I considered what I paid for some of the machines along with the upgrades and divided by the number of games I played, I would think it is way more than $1/game.

There are some interesting EMs I was never able to play, and to get the check them out for $5- $15.... sure.

However, I am not the general public. For the general public, no way would I imagine many would pay $1/game on an "old" machine with small flippers that do not offer the bells and whistles of the modern games.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

...an "old" machine with small flippers that do not offer the bells and whistles of the modern games.

Well, they may have the bells...

#80 2 years ago

I’d pay $1, but….

I want to see fresh rubber, full flipper kit and properly adjusted flippers, pop bumpers slingshots etc. not something pulled out of a warehouse with a coat of wax and call it a day.

A reasonably obtainable replay. 5 balls per game on short flipper bat games.

#81 2 years ago

OP, I’d look at this as a labor of love and a gift to the hobby, as opposed to making your $25 back, ya know?

#82 2 years ago

I would skip the licenses entirely. You’re putting a few games into your establishment that isn’t an arcade. Just set up some nice games and charge what you want to charge.

#83 2 years ago

No

#84 2 years ago

It all depends on the target audience. I’ll play almost any game on location once. If it’s clean and maintained, I’ll play more. Beyond $0.50, you may have trouble attracting younger people to play an EM.

If I put a pin in a non arcade location today, I would definitely use something digital like Payrange. Young people don’t carry cash or think in cash as much as us old farts.

I may be falsely assuming an EM couldn’t use that technology.

https://www.payrange.com/

#86 2 years ago

Psychology is a funny thing - as pointed out, we dropped the equivalent of $1 game as kids and never thought twice. And granted EM's don't have the deep ruleset of modern pins, but a good EM can challenge your skills as just as much.

Appreciating them for what they are and knowing what goes into maintaining them (owning one myself), I think the $1 is justified, but my concern stepping up to play an unfamiliar EM would be - does it really work right? Even if it looks in good shape, EM's can be finicky in their old age and I might hesitate to drop a buck into an unknown machine.

But 50c - sure.

#87 2 years ago

.50c per play/3 for $1 ??

Comes down to cost for entertainment time. New games play longer than em’s. Do 3 games of an EM give you approx the same game time as a single ply on a modern game?

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Snowyetti:

Yes I would if I’ve never played it absolutely yes!! Because a dollar is the new quarter

Yet another reason why we should ditch the penny.

#89 2 years ago

What kind of location is this? Arcade or an unrelated business where you just want a couple games. If its just a couple games in a waiting room or similar, you won't make enough regardless. You may as well have it be reasonable so people actually play them.

For the replay guys that are commenting... most casual people don't even know what replays and matches are. Those are the people where you make your money. The experienced pinballers who park on a machine and exploit the games and rack up replays on a quarter are always the ones that complain when something doesn't work and wonder why its not fixed. News flash... Parts and labor are more than a few quarters.

That said I would never put an em out for $1. The ball times are already so short. Just do 2/$1 or 3/$1 or even 4/$1. You could even set them to 3 ball. Then at least you are making a $1 at a time.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would skip the licenses entirely.

Don’t take legal advice from anyone but your attorney!

The Milford city ordinances say you need licenses if you have more than three.
    https://ecode360.com/14522790
    “ Every operator shall obtain a license from the Police Department, approved by the Superintendent of Police, for each music vending machine and/or mechanical amusement device in excess of three in number in operation in his place of business.”

#91 2 years ago

No

Shane

#92 2 years ago

Yeah vending license and permits are a must. If not around here they would probably go full out old school pinball prohibition and smash em with sledgehammers in the parking lot right in front of you.

It’s not an arcade but a vintage/ retro nostalgia shop. Movie music memorabilia etc

#93 2 years ago

I would pass myself on standard em play for 1$

50c I would likely not pass up.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

You'd have to pay me $1/game.

says non EM guy. Surprising.

#95 2 years ago

I always have to remind myself on Pinside that being an EM guy, I'm in the minority. It often shocks and saddens me a little at the general disregard for these pieces of history. To me they are functional pieces of playable art but seen by many as old and unwanted trash. The constant comments of you couldn't pay me to play one or I want to convert this one to digital using my Raspberry Pi are frustrating.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I always have to remind myself on Pinside that being an EM guy, I'm in the minority. It often shocks and saddens me a little at the general disregard for these pieces of history. To me they are functional pieces of playable art but seen by many as old and unwanted trash. The constant comments of you couldn't pay me to play one or I want to convert this one to digital using my Raspberry Pi are frustrating.

So true.

Still not paying $1

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

Yeah vending license and permits are a must. If not around here they would probably go full out old school pinball prohibition and smash em with sledgehammers in the parking lot right in front of you.
    It’s not an arcade but a vintage/ retro nostalgia shop. Movie music memorabilia etc

Yeah better safe than sorry, but no way in hell they’d come a calling unless someone reported you. And if it’s really $25 a year and that’s it, just do it.

Like others have said, this will be a labor of love no matter what is charged to play them.

#98 2 years ago

You're asking a bunch of old farts who remember when things were cheap. If your clientele is young, price it high. Sounds counterintuitive since they typically have less money, but they will spend it.

I won't pay 8 bucks for "cheap" beer at a concert because I remember when it was 2 bucks. If you're 21, beer just costs 8 bucks. Someday they'll scoff at a $20 plastic cup of Budweiser.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

They have to be preserved since they'll never make EM's again because it would be cost prohibitive to do so with parts and labor. If they tried they'd have to charge more than what NIB's are selling for now. If you look inside the bottom of an EM that's basically simple technology crammed into a $20 circuit board nowadays. I actually dismissed woodrails in my collection but a friend of mine who is a huge pinball historian talked me into keeping and restoring a GTB Knock Out and WMS Fairway. I'll find a nice corner of the house to present some woodrails after all.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

...If you look inside the bottom of an EM that's basically simple technology crammed into a $20 circuit board nowadays.

But what will I do all day since I dont have to adjust 43 relays?!

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-play-an-em-at-location-for-1-per-game-/page/2?hl=tiki_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.