(Topic ID: 243826)

Would you pay for enhanced game code and/or media additions?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CVeRiTy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay for downloadable enhancements and how much? ”

• Nope, not interested 85 votes
    55%
  • Yes, $0-$99 19 votes
    12%
  • Yes, $100-299 15 votes
    10%
  • Yes, $300-599 1 vote
    1%
  • Yes, $600-1200 2 votes
    1%
  • Yes, but I need to know more to determine 32 votes
    21%

(154 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Look at the video game industry as an analogy and you'll find more instances of pissed off customers from companies abusing these practices then you will find successes.
Games being shipped with a tutorial, and then require a day one download to play any worthwhile content is where this will go. Your dream of add on content will never happen, it's just an excuse for companies to ship a half assed product

As someone inside the video game industry I assure you this is completely false. The vast majority of consumers enjoy paying for additional content. There is a very vocal minority that rants and raves endless online but make no mistake they are small minority. It's all about hitting the right balance some games get it wrong but having a properly balances economy is a huge part of a game being popular and successful with it's players. Drop the economy out of Fortnight and it would be dead in a matter of days.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

F2P games are not the same thing. There's a 'pokemon' mentality associated with games like Fortnite that companies have tapped into. A better comparison would be the recently released and much maligned Shadow of War, or even any Call of Duty game since 4. Planned microtransactions and day 1 DLC are widely looked down upon. The problem is stupid 'gotta have it' people buy them day one (or preorder) and then complain about it like they expected something different.

You are just seeing it with skew of media and the vocal minority on the internet. The numbers do not lie. People want and expect DLC and micro transactions. The only time a game will not have them is if the studio intentional wants to limit its run. Its like the film industry sometimes you want to a game to fill a hole in you release schedule and you do not want it to cannibalize you next release. That is the only reason not to include post ship content. Your player base is much happier and much more likely to continue to play when they are included. Game with post ship content done well are by far the most popular.

Pinball machines with post ship content would dominate the popularity charts.

P.S. I only mention Fortnight because I have an NDA and can't discuss any game I actually work on.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Enjoy paying for additional content? I am not even going to finish my comments because they won't be nice.

I'm not in that demographic myself and found it hard to comprehended. Years of consumer data doesn't lie and with experience you learn that it is what people want. That very vocal minority that complain the most online tend to be very hypocritical and more often than not the biggest spenders. You can voice your opinion it's not going to bother me any.

It's the same with anything, people get attached to what they love and it makes them feel good to invest in it. If they offered special editions of this season of GoT with additional content, fans would rejoice and throw money at it. It doesn't make them stupid or just unable to control them self and the, I gotta have it attitude, its just the way human beings work. It's why people spend on mods, they love the machine they want to invest in it and make it unique. Why should the creators not be part of that.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

There is a difference between marketers knowing how to manipulate people's behavior and enjoying paying for extras.

This argument always cracks me up, its a video game not a diabolic mind control device. If you don't want to spend don't. It's like people that don't tip, they always preach that no one should do it, everyone is just being manipulated against their will.

Sterns does not want sales from one pin cannibalizing the next so it could be problematic for them, companies with fewer releases a year could really benefit from post ship content. If you only getting a new pin out the door once or twice a year if you can sell updates between releases it does wonders for profitability.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I am not talking about mind control. Tipping is a poor argument. You are comparing giving money to an individual that served you and giving money to a company that asks you to pay to get more out of the experience you have already paid for. I am not against add-ons for video or phone games. I just think greed has taken over and don't want another form of that on pinball machines that are already too expensive for many to afford.
A better argument would be advertising. It must work because they don't just spend until you know about their product. They spend until you are over-saturated with it.
So, in conclusion, not mind control but offering low value extras that some people think they need to fully enjoy the experience. That does not equal people enjoying paying more.

Every entertainment product is too expensive for many to afford so not sure how that is relevant. Pretty much every product and service expects you to pay more to get more out of the experience. Why are we assuming it is automatically low value content? Your framing your argument to make it seem like people are being suckered into spending more money and getting nothing in return. The reality is a product or service is offered that people think is worth spending their money on and it makes them happy to buy what they enjoy. If they don't enjoy it they very quickly stop spending money on it. The only part people find negative is when other people shit on them about it. If people want to spend on mods all the power to them and if a pinball company wants a piece of that pie on a product they created all the power to them. I would never buy an LE but all the power to the people that do, it feels great for them to have that fancy limited edition.

1 month later
#61 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

To be honest, I'm surprised that modern titles are NOT online. Maybe not for loading features, but absolutely for operator maintenance & adjustables. A connected machine would allow an operator to view/change all kinds of settings and get an alert if the machine detects a problem. Does this really not exist yet?
And for what it's worth, I think a world-wide scoreboard for certain games would be pretty cool.

There are tonne of online functionality that could be added to pinball. I think it is honestly just awareness, I don't think a lot of people in pinball have the knowledge. If they understood what online connectivity and DLC could do for the business they would be all over it. There is a stigma to it in the vocal minority and they will always scream the same tired arguments. The reality is, it makes for a much deeper more enjoyable experience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

14,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-pay-for-enhanced-game-code-and-or-media-additions?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.