(Topic ID: 243826)

Would you pay for enhanced game code and/or media additions?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CVeRiTy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay for downloadable enhancements and how much? ”

• Nope, not interested 85 votes
    55%
  • Yes, $0-$99 19 votes
    12%
  • Yes, $100-299 15 votes
    10%
  • Yes, $300-599 1 vote
    1%
  • Yes, $600-1200 2 votes
    1%
  • Yes, but I need to know more to determine 32 votes
    21%

(154 votes)

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Ok, let's say JJP says development is done on a game, they created all of the promised code. Would you pay, and how much would you pay, for additional code?

I could forsee additional media/animations/callouts. How about additional licensing deals to add in more of the original intellectual property and collateral from a given franchise? Deeper or modified rulesets (maybe you can choose when the game starts)? Maybe a completely new game using the same playfield but offering up a completely different experience? With the light control and the LCD screen I could see possibly re-theming maybe from a different point of view, more storyline.

Updates over wifi? Backups over wifi? Remote control play? Customizing more details, like adding in additional rules (like ball saves in specific circumstances) through an editor?

In essence, is there any potential market for JJP to offer "DLC" (downloadable content, a thing in other gaming worlds) or game enhancements, of sorts. Is there a next step to take past the LCD and RGB lighting that the latest era of games all have.

#2 4 years ago

This idea would go over like a fart in church and not a good idea for anybody involved.

Not worth the trouble/expense/distractions/angry mobs for any manufacturers or consumers.

They already do this in extremely limited doses (Daft Punk multiball?) but that's as far as they can reasonably take it.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This idea would go over like a fart in church and not a good idea for anybody involved.
Not worth the trouble/expense/distractions/angry mobs for any manufacturers or consumers.
They already do this in extremely limited doses (Daft Punk multiball?) but that's as far as they can reasonably take it.

Do you have any concern that pinball has been stagnating for a long time and that additional modern interactivity and connectivity is needed to keep up with the modern world? The inherently mechanical nature of pinball will never be replicated through different digital technology, only imitated. But, there seems plenty of room for growth and advancement now that games are PC powered. Wifi isn't used at all.. that seems like a no brainer. People setup these complex streaming systems, maybe some of that can be built in and it's a complete solution. Again, there's a PC in there.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Do you have any concern that pinball has been stagnating for a long time and that additional modern interactivity and connectivity is needed to keep up with the modern world? The inherently mechanical nature of pinball will never be replicated through different digital technology, only imitated. But, there seems plenty of room for growth and advancement now that games are PC powered. Wifi isn't used at all.. that seems like a no brainer. People setup these complex streaming systems, maybe some of that can be built in and it's a complete solution. Again, there's a PC in there.

Not concerned about that and I think it would be a total waste of time and resources with zero benefits for operators and negligible benefits for home buyers.

We discussed all of this a few weeks ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-pinball-machines-be-online

#5 4 years ago

Games as a service is a poor model to follow, we dont want it in pinball. If the game coders are constantly developing DLC for existing games, they wont have time to work on new games. Furthermore I dont want to pay a monthly subscription fee to access DLC or online leaderboards, or new content ect.

#6 4 years ago

Please stop spreading Special K's crap agenda.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

LOL is that where this nonsense is coming from?

Shocker.

#8 4 years ago

HELL no. Let’s not turn these even more into video games. Those suck now, and this is part of why.

#9 4 years ago

There is a reason I’m not into modern video gaming but instead love (real world) pinball - the paid DLC model is not wanted.

We can put up with (and welcome) new / updated firmware coming out for our machines, but withholding content so we can pay for it after we’ve dropped thousands for a given machine would be seen as a cynical cash grabbing move by any manufacturer.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Don't know who/what that is.

#11 4 years ago

There are VERY few ideas mentioned on Pinside that people don’t dump on, regardless of merit. As much as players and collectors say that want something fresh or different, they really want a repackaging of what is familiar. I’m not advocating for pins going SaaS, but if the hobby endures it will absolutely happen.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

There are VERY few ideas mentioned on Pinside that people don’t dump on, regardless of merit. As much as players and collectors say that want something fresh or different, they really want a repackaging of what is familiar. I’m not advocating for pins going SaaS, but if the hobby endures it will absolutely happen.

You are absolutely right.

As much as everyone says they want innovation they really don’t. Pinball is best when it’s pinball.

#13 4 years ago

we already pay enough for beta code
making people wait 3 years for final code is insulting
and now we should pay for upgraded code?????

#14 4 years ago

The initial cost of these machines are significantly different than that of a video game consol or a $60 video game. With that in mind the future of this hobby will have to evolve to survive. I agree some sort of internet connectivity could be great but that revolves around its use. Downloadable content? This idea could be sketchy depending on what it will be. Multiplayer capability? Could be awesome, I believe one of the podcasts already discussed this idea and who would pay for the servers? Maybe there is a different solution for this?

Also nervous this could go the EA route and EVERYBODY loves EA, right?

#15 4 years ago

I don't know where SaaS came in to play or monthly fees, I was talking about a one time code update. Want the new Office 2023 features? Pay for the upgrade. It keeps developers paid to work on the software and creating new and exciting enhancements for a game you already own. Sort of like Lexi Lightspeed but without the entire swap of the game. The "developers are busy" argument is solved by hiring more developers, which you fund from the fees people pay for the upgrade. I'm not necessarily advocating for it, just a passing thought to see what the general sentiment was. I wonder if pinball is going to stay "old school" forever. Who makes the first leap to wifi updates.

#16 4 years ago

I don't know where SaaS came in to play or monthly fees, I was talking about a one time code update. Want the new Office 2023 features? Pay for the upgrade. It keeps developers paid to work on the software and creating new and exciting enhancements for a game you already own. Sort of like Lexi Lightspeed but without the entire swap of the game. The "developers are busy" argument is solved by hiring more developers, which you fund from the fees people pay for the upgrade. I'm not necessarily advocating for it, just a passing thought to see what the general sentiment was. I wonder if pinball is going to stay "old school" forever. Who makes the first leap to wifi updates.

I think this niche will be filled eventually by hobbiests and enthusiasts who know how to code realtime operating systems and pinball code. Nobody is going to recode a pinball machine to try and sell the new code, the licensing alone could bury those ideas real quickly, HOWEVER, that doesnt mean it CANT be done, i.e. BOP 2.0... but that just lead to a couple of guys getting the big head and building TBL and we know how that is going for everyone. I like the idea, but pretty certain limited market opportunities would limit the amount of people doing it to make money.

#17 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-to-go-online-in-2019

Maybe stern will implement something this year. It’s been discussed for the last few years, but nothing has hit the market

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-to-go-online-in-2019
Maybe stern will implement something this year. It’s been discussed for the last few years, but nothing has hit the market

The basic online features that a game could be using seem really sexy. The updating, online leaderboards/social aspect, etc. I feel like it will definitely be a soft entry into the field because I don't think either Stern or JJP could really charge much more for their games. So it will have to be a big selling point or small offering.

#19 4 years ago

The basic online features that a game could be using seem really sexy. The updating, online leaderboards/social aspect, etc. I feel like it will definitely be a soft entry into the field because I don't think either Stern or JJP could really charge much more for their games. So it will have to be a big selling point or small offering.

Pinball is old school. Most pinball owners, operators and players just want to play pinball the way it’s been played for years. Everything else is connected and they want pinball to be simple and disconnected from the internet- It’s that physical connection and hands on feel that can’t be replicated or replaced with digital and being online. It’s a game designed to be played alone or with others, face to face where you can come together over drinks or just enjoying a good time. I personally am looking forward to some sort of online potential, but today I played a local tournament and had a blast. Can that tournament possibly be played online in the future? Who knows. One thing is for sure- pinball buyers don’t want to pay for dlc.

#20 4 years ago

The second any sort of paid DLC or SaaS scheme happens with pinball, I stop buying pinball machines. I think it would quickly become like the computer/video game world where games are released with half the content they used to have so that publishers can release three or four small DLC packages over a year to inflate their revenue.

"Mechsuit multiball? That is a great idea Tanio! We'll add it in as part of the Deadpool season pass! Mwaahahahahaha"

If I am paying $7k or more for a pin they better complete the f'ing software for free.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Pinball is old school. Most pinball owners, operators and players just want to play pinball the way it’s been played for years. Everything else is connected and they want pinball to be simple and disconnected from the internet- It’s that physical connection and hands on feel that can’t be replicated or replaced with digital and being online. It’s a game designed to be played alone or with others, face to face where you can come together over drinks or just enjoying a good time. I personally am looking forward to some sort of online potential, but today I played a local tournament and had a blast. Can that tournament possibly be played online in the future? Who knows. One thing is for sure- pinball buyers don’t want to pay for dlc.

It will be interesting to see how long that trend continues. Will it hold true as owners start becoming the generation that had nothing mechanical as a toy or game and all they know is digital?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

we already pay enough for beta code
making people wait 3 years for final code is insulting
and now we should pay for upgraded code?????

The first two conditions have been entrenched for years and yet people still keep paying.

Both of the two companies have already borrowed heavily from the video game industry and their fake limited/deluxe versions of what should be a standardised product.

At the current rate that Stern/JJP only seem interested in appealing to the upper income bracket of the market I see the third one happening in the next 2-4 years.

There would be some online griping as per the norm but then would easily slip back to the same old FOMO mindset.

#23 4 years ago

I think adding a licensing fee for call outs or music might be feasible. Imagine a popular film where licensing the music would reduce profits for the manufacturer so they don't invlude it. BUT, if buyers had the option to include it in a Premium/LE/CE or extra fee manufacturers may start to include that in the game, vs. Generic tunes. Look at pinsound, people pay like $200 bucks to get their machines to sound better, or a shaker. Getting a better callout library like Clelands TWD straight from the factory would probably be a quite popular add on feature.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HELL no. Let’s not turn these even more into video games. Those suck now, and this is part of why.

Exactly. This idea sucks ass. This same crap is ruining modern video games. Why on Earth even suggest it for pinball? If any pin manufacturer puts their pins online amd tries this crap they are dead to me.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Exactly. This idea sucks ass. This same crap is ruining modern video games. Why on Earth even suggest it for pinball? If any pin manufacturer puts their pins online amd tries this crap they are dead to me.

Ruining? Yeah, the industry is hurting.

#26 4 years ago

I'd like to see them add Internet Connectivity and adopt a F2P model like mobile games. You get a machine for free, but have to pay for microtransactions to unlock features

#27 4 years ago

Mr Houdini-
Didn’t I just read about your chipped playfield ordeal on a brand new 10k+ machine?

Would it be reasonable to suggest getting the basics right including shipping on time and full code before new ways to charge us more money?

#28 4 years ago

The question referred to JJP, but I could already see Stern providing machines that have only the code to boot up the machine. Any other update would be extra and priced separately: basic update, expert update, limited master update, superlimited master update etc...

#29 4 years ago

Stern has already lost a lot of NIB buyers who rightly refuse to buy a game with incomplete code. They would lose many more if they go to the pay for upgrade model.

#30 4 years ago

Ruining? Yeah, the industry is hurting.

You think people enjoyed paying $60 for those Star Wars games and finding ou they had to pay $60 more to get the whole game? How fast did those hit the bargain bin? It's a shit model. As a customer you'd have to be a moron to engourage it.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Mr Houdini-
Didn’t I just read about your chipped playfield ordeal on a brand new 10k+ machine?
Would it be reasonable to suggest getting the basics right including shipping on time and full code before new ways to charge us more money?

I'm not advocating for anything that goes against that. Heck, I'm not even advocating for any subscription model or DLC. I thought once the game code is complete that paying for additional content could be an option for those who want to keep adding on to their game. Ideally game manufacturers finish code to at least a v1 state before releasing a game, something it seems no manufacturer seems to care about.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You think people enjoyed paying $60 for those Star Wars games and finding ou they had to pay $60 more to get the whole game? How did those hit the bargain bin? It's a shit model. As a customer you'd have to be a moron to engourage it.

I am sure there are specific instances where the model was flawed. But there is no way to argue that, on a whole, DLC works and users pay for that content. It's not the same as this model. They are selling many more copies of the game, putting probably way more money in to development and charging way less for their product. But I would envision this as an "add-on pack" or optional features you can use to trick out your game with something other people don't have.

#33 4 years ago

The sad thing is the way companies are, I could see this happening in some way. The other sad thing is that people will still buy it. The problem with the 'fix it/add it later' mentality is that then there is no rush to get anything beyond rudimentary code out the door. It is already pretty bad now, which is IMO pathetic given the price of these things. DLC generally is not thought of later, but planned from the beginning. You do not want that in pinball. After a few years and different opinions and a redesign/addition of code as an offering is not a bad idea in itself. There are lots of examples of this in pinball history, but once you start with the notion you are going to release paid DLC, companies will cut corners where they can to maximize profits of said code. It's just the nature of the greedy state of capitalism we are in.

#34 4 years ago

Look at the video game industry as an analogy and you'll find more instances of pissed off customers from companies abusing these practices then you will find successes.

Games being shipped with a tutorial, and then require a day one download to play any worthwhile content is where this will go. Your dream of add on content will never happen, it's just an excuse for companies to ship a half assed product

#35 4 years ago

That's the problem. The idea of new code is not a bad one. The idea of complete code rewrites (even paid) is not bad in itself either. The issue is that companies have proven time and again they are assholes. There's making a profit based on a quality product, and then there's the planned out raping of your customers by cutting corners, lowering quality, and packaging the 'fixes' that should have been there in the first place. Most companies choose the latter when left to their own decisions.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Look at the video game industry as an analogy and you'll find more instances of pissed off customers from companies abusing these practices then you will find successes.
Games being shipped with a tutorial, and then require a day one download to play any worthwhile content is where this will go. Your dream of add on content will never happen, it's just an excuse for companies to ship a half assed product

As someone inside the video game industry I assure you this is completely false. The vast majority of consumers enjoy paying for additional content. There is a very vocal minority that rants and raves endless online but make no mistake they are small minority. It's all about hitting the right balance some games get it wrong but having a properly balances economy is a huge part of a game being popular and successful with it's players. Drop the economy out of Fortnight and it would be dead in a matter of days.

#37 4 years ago

No thank you, 1000 times over. Keep that business model to your Xbox, PC and PS4 please.
If companies are going to sell pinball machines, lets keep them as such. I also own arcade games, they get very little play as it is. Port what you will to video game platforms, tinker away and enjoy.
I myself do not wish to spend thousands of dollars for a new piece of equipment, only to have additional fees "available by request".
Just make it right the first time. Don't sell something partially complete and wrap a "Keep it fresh and new" ribbon on it.
If there is going to be a code update, let it be for correcting any found issues after release.
If the creative minds have more to offer, put that insight to use on a new machine.

Feel free to add a "You kids get off of my lawn" or "Millennials are ruining ___ now too."

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

then there's the planned out raping of your customers by cutting corners, lowering quality, and packaging the 'fixes' that should have been there in the first place. Most companies choose the latter when left to their own decisions.

left to their own devices, they probably would.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

As someone inside the video game industry I assure you this is completely false. The vast majority of consumers enjoy paying for additional content. There is a very vocal minority that rants and raves endless online but make no mistake they are small minority. It's all about hitting the right balance some games get it wrong but having a properly balances economy is a huge part of a game being popular and successful with it's players. Drop the economy out of Fortnight and it would be dead in a matter of days.

F2P games are not the same thing. There's a 'pokemon' mentality associated with games like Fortnite that companies have tapped into. A better comparison would be the recently released and much maligned Shadow of War, or even any Call of Duty game since 4. Planned microtransactions and day 1 DLC are widely looked down upon. The problem is stupid 'gotta have it' people buy them day one (or preorder) and then complain about it like they expected something different.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

The question referred to JJP, but I could already see Stern providing machines that have only the code to boot up the machine. Any other update would be extra and priced separately: basic update, expert update, limited master update, superlimited master update etc...

This is pretty much what you will end up with in the end when this concept follows its full progression. You'll basically get a game with little more than being able to bat the ball around, everything else will be extra. Why on earth would anyone suggest this model?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

F2P games are not the same thing. There's a 'pokemon' mentality associated with games like Fortnite that companies have tapped into. A better comparison would be the recently released and much maligned Shadow of War, or even any Call of Duty game since 4. Planned microtransactions and day 1 DLC are widely looked down upon. The problem is stupid 'gotta have it' people buy them day one (or preorder) and then complain about it like they expected something different.

You are just seeing it with skew of media and the vocal minority on the internet. The numbers do not lie. People want and expect DLC and micro transactions. The only time a game will not have them is if the studio intentional wants to limit its run. Its like the film industry sometimes you want to a game to fill a hole in you release schedule and you do not want it to cannibalize you next release. That is the only reason not to include post ship content. Your player base is much happier and much more likely to continue to play when they are included. Game with post ship content done well are by far the most popular.

Pinball machines with post ship content would dominate the popularity charts.

P.S. I only mention Fortnight because I have an NDA and can't discuss any game I actually work on.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Enjoy paying for additional content? I am not even going to finish my comments because they won't be nice.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Enjoy paying for additional content? I am not even going to finish my comments because they won't be nice.

I'm not in that demographic myself and found it hard to comprehended. Years of consumer data doesn't lie and with experience you learn that it is what people want. That very vocal minority that complain the most online tend to be very hypocritical and more often than not the biggest spenders. You can voice your opinion it's not going to bother me any.

It's the same with anything, people get attached to what they love and it makes them feel good to invest in it. If they offered special editions of this season of GoT with additional content, fans would rejoice and throw money at it. It doesn't make them stupid or just unable to control them self and the, I gotta have it attitude, its just the way human beings work. It's why people spend on mods, they love the machine they want to invest in it and make it unique. Why should the creators not be part of that.

#44 4 years ago

I love the idea of WIFI which would add the ability to do a firmware version check much like Windows does for updates. Also could be used as a manufacturer communication tool to convey machine specific updates on issues being reported and looked at/status (one time only per message).

Now let's look at Golden Tee and Big Buck Hunter. World wide hall of fame. That's cool but most arent going to pay for a subscription.

As far as additonal updates.... super bad idea. You already paid, updates should be free. And if another coder stepped up we'd likely see an IP battle happen like what Wayne did to so many who were offering code hacked ROMS.

#45 4 years ago

If it was done right people would pay for it. That simple. But until someone does it right and offers it you’re just gonna hear negative energy. Mostly because the state of coding has earned it.

Done right clearly means a polished and finished and stable original code base. Let’s aim for that first before we get ahead of ourselves.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not in that demographic myself and found it hard to comprehended. Years of consumer data doesn't lie and with experience you learn that it is what people want. That very vocal minority that complain the most online tend to be very hypocritical and more often than not the biggest spenders. You can voice your opinion it's not going to bother me any.
It's the same with anything, people get attached to what they love and it makes them feel good to invest in it. If they offered special editions of this season of GoT with additional content, fans would rejoice and throw money at it. It doesn't make them stupid or just unable to control them self and the, I gotta have it attitude, its just the way human beings work. It's why people spend on mods, they love the machine they want to invest in it and make it unique. Why should the creators not be part of that.

There is a difference between marketers knowing how to manipulate people's behavior and enjoying paying for extras.

#47 4 years ago

What a discussion. I also have the fear that most/many companies are going to be skewed by profit driven decisions in this regard and will end up with a worse customer experience. But then again, it seems like smaller manufacturers are in the space because they love pinball... maybe even Stern. So maybe decisions will be better than we could expect. I think the manufacturers probably know that if they upset the core owners too much they will be out of business. If it makes it harder for ops, probably not a good idea.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

There is a difference between marketers knowing how to manipulate people's behavior and enjoying paying for extras.

This argument always cracks me up, its a video game not a diabolic mind control device. If you don't want to spend don't. It's like people that don't tip, they always preach that no one should do it, everyone is just being manipulated against their will.

Sterns does not want sales from one pin cannibalizing the next so it could be problematic for them, companies with fewer releases a year could really benefit from post ship content. If you only getting a new pin out the door once or twice a year if you can sell updates between releases it does wonders for profitability.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This argument always cracks me up, its a video game not a diabolic mind control device. If you don't want to spend don't. It's like people that don't tip, they always preach that no one should do it, everyone is just being manipulated against their will.
Sterns does not want sales from one pin cannibalizing the next so it could be problematic for them, companies with fewer releases a year could really benefit from post ship content. If you only getting a new pin out the door once or twice a year if you can sell updates between releases it does wonders for profitability.

Plus it makes supporting older releases more interesting to those companies if they have more potential profit centers. Maybe it increases their 2nd hand market value as well, which could drive NIB prices up.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I am not talking about mind control. Tipping is a poor argument. You are comparing giving money to an individual that served you and giving money to a company that asks you to pay to get more out of the experience you have already paid for. I am not against add-ons for video or phone games. I just think greed has taken over and don't want another form of that on pinball machines that are already too expensive for many to afford.

A better argument would be advertising. It must work because they don't just spend until you know about their product. They spend until you are over-saturated with it.

So, in conclusion, not mind control but offering low value extras that some people think they need to fully enjoy the experience. That does not equal people enjoying paying more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.99
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-pay-for-enhanced-game-code-and-or-media-additions?hl=lordhelmet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.