Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you pay $120 for Gene Simmons to autograph your Kiss translight”

• Yes 17 votes
      9%
    • No 165 votes
      91%

(182 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0216 (resized).JPG
    The_Riddler_3 (resized).png
    ted and ace (resized).jpg
    criss and ted (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    KISS LE (resized).JPG
    9ae3c3312627dfba059918bf8e7b60b017c49c7f (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1148 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1147 (resized).JPG
    There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

Well Gene is kinda in his fat Elvis phase, I guess...

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

KISS sucks. Gene Simmons sucks.

YOU SUCK! Punk...

#54 7 years ago

Gene Simmons, Richard Simmons and a fat Elvis. Who needs an autograph?

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

You post in a thread saying something crappy and presenting it repeatedly as fact
    Then you say "don't make it about me"
    Come on dude, that's ridiculous. And it's spelled "bass". You don't seem very well versed musically. Pun completely intended.

Well, I did the math - KISS is indeed the second worst band of all time.

Weird that a bunch of people are attacking me personally simply for stating an objective, ironclad, scientifically-verified fact. I trust the point has been made at this point.

I do humbly apologize for the misspelling though - not sure if it was the phone keyboard, autocorrect, or what. I do know a little about music -- I sang and played guitar in bands for 20 years, one of which played over 500 shows in the US, Canada, and Europe. Good times.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Weird that a bunch of people are attacking me personally simply for stating an objective, ironclad scientifically-verified fact. I trust the point has been made at this point.
    I do humbly apologize for the misspelling though - not sure if it was the phone keyboard, autocorrect, or what. I do know a little about music -- I sang and played guitar in bands for 20 years, one of which toured the US, Canada, and Europe. Good times.

Well that's wonderful dude. Congratulations on landing such a devastating blow to Kiss and their fans.

your favorite band sucks

#57 7 years ago

$120 for Gene - Nope. 1k for his daughter, you bet!

#58 7 years ago

No, I prefer tranlights and backglasses to be in original condition with no signatures. Also, $120 is a lot for a signature. I can see where it would be cool for a die hard fan.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Wait...I'm dying to know who is the worst band of all time. And how can you possibly say that it mathematical and there's empirical evidence when you're talking about something purely subjective. And how can you say that about a band that's in the hall of fame and sold as many albums as they have. True, they partially became famous based on a gimmick...I'll give you that. I'm by no means a KISS fan, but I could never say they suck. Funny, yes...but they don't suck. And they certainly don't suck just because of my feelings about them.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wait...I'm dying to know who is the worst band of all time.

RHCP. but it's within the margin of error.

#61 7 years ago

For $120 he should be giving you a hand job to go with it....

#62 7 years ago

So I guess "The Knack" comes in 3rd?

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Why are you and MrBally trying to make this thread about me? Let's stick to the subject of the second worst band of all time, and the monetary value of their bass player's autograph.

Yeah, if you are going to say such judgemental stuff, you have to expect strong comeback.

#64 7 years ago

I wouldn't pay $0.02 for his autograph the guys nothing but a grub and also a piece of shit....

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

The question wasn't whether it would look cool, it was whether he could turn a profit on the signature fee. Thus the negativity.

Ah... I guess I glossed over that point. Makes sense. Yeah, I got my translites autographed because it was fun. I wasn't really thinking about re-sale value. My NOES and SS translite autographs are personalized, so I don't think they would add any value for a buyer... unless their name's "David." My CFTBL translite, however, is just their signatures.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Haha your grudge against me is so pathetic. Grow up.

No grudge.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

So I guess "The Knack" comes in 3rd?

The Knack is awesome! What the hell? The guitar lead in My Sharona is one the best of all time.

Back to the topic. I think the signature is probably worth it.

Back to the off-topic debate. I was a teen in the 70s and there were three things in music I truly hated

1. Country music
    2. Disco
    3. KISS

And while I still think KISS is a marginal band, I've come to like their 3-4 hits. Hell, I even like an occasional disco tune. I still can't stand country. BTW, I own Stern KISS and I love it. I just replaced 50% of the tunes with better hard rock from the 70s.

#68 7 years ago

I think Eric Clapton is one of the $hittiest guitar players ever. If they made an Eric Clapton pinball machine and I owned one and I had a chance to get his signature for $120 on the translite, I would... in a heartbeat because, as a purely business decision, I think the ROI is there. Doesn't matter if I think he's a hack because other people worship his crappy ability on the guitar and that makes it valuable.

#69 7 years ago

One thing I would say is if you want an autograph you might want to get it now.

I say this because after waking from my stroke and three brain surgeries last year, I awoke to find a few of my favorite authors were dead. The books I now have signed those are it.
    (My favorite book, the golden a vampire book by Lucius Shepard I have signed, he died recently)

Kind of tragic to have lived but seen others die. Maybe just get the signature now, if it's important to you.

#70 7 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you get to meet Gene while's he's signing your item, so there's more to that $120. Is the whole thing worth it to you? In 20 years when Gene's dead, do you care to have that autograph there to remind you of when you met him, or do you not give a shit?

As some have said, it's up to you if it's worth having the autograph.. do it if it's something you want to do and it means something to you. As far getting it to add value to the game/translite and purely for that? Nope, wouldn't do it.

People collect crazy stuff, and most of the time when I see people's collections of things they cherish I'm like WTF is that crap (because that's all it is to me). But I collect my own things so I understand that collecting is personal and pleases that person and isn't meant to be for anyone else. Hell, some people think I'm crazy for having all these pinball machines in my house and that pinball sucks!! And I could care less.

#71 7 years ago

I decided not to get the autograph. I did get some pics that did not cost me anything

IMG_1147 (resized).JPGIMG_1147 (resized).JPG

IMG_1148 (resized).JPGIMG_1148 (resized).JPG

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I decided not to get the autograph.

Just print out the signatures from this thread then :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-online-offering-50-signed-limited-edition-machines/

Photo reposted from PinB

9ae3c3312627dfba059918bf8e7b60b017c49c7f (resized).jpeg9ae3c3312627dfba059918bf8e7b60b017c49c7f (resized).jpeg

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Just print out the signatures from this thread then :
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-online-offering-50-signed-limited-edition-machines/
    Photo reposted from PinB

Those aren't real. They were done by THIS guy:

Quoted from cottonm4:

Bring it to me. I'll make a signature that looks like Simmons. While you are at it, bring your Scared Stiff translite by and I'll sign like Elivira and save you from paying extra at TPF to see her. I'll even print you up some COAs, too. $20.00 for all.

#74 7 years ago

Is the autograph >$100 or did that include admission to ComicCon?

It is customary to "tip" (or purchase a book or whatever) for an autograph but $120 seems excessive. If that includes admission and then a tip for the autograph ($80 to get into the event and $40 for the autograph) I would think that'd be fun and would add an interesting conversation point to your game.

I myself wouldn't pay more for an autographed game but it would show you cared about your game and hopefully took good care of it and I'd give that weight when I went to purchase.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I decided not to get the autograph. I did get some pics that did not cost me anything

and tomorrow you will kick yourself for not getting the autograph

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I sang and played guitar in bands for 20 years, one of which played over 500 shows in the US, Canada, and Europe. Good times.

Any bands we've heard of?

#77 7 years ago

Wouldn't spend $1.2o for anyone's autograph. Except maybe Jesus Christ, cause that would be some story.

#78 7 years ago

I think it's BS why he would charge for an autograph. He's already a frickin millionaire and marketing genius but greedy enough to ask for more money after you already bought a KISS pinball machine. Sure it would be cool but for cash, no.

#79 7 years ago

If the question is it worth $120 the simple answer is yes. Almost everyone charges for appearances and autographs. Now $120 is a little high but most other options for getting Gene's autograph mean buying the meet and greet at a show or the Kiss cruise or some other appearance he is at. It's gonna cost period.

As an example I recently got Ace to sign some stuff. But you have to buy his meet and greet package....it's like $325....now as long as you don't bring a guitar to have signed he was cool and signed pretty much whatever you brought.

So just on what I know it costs to get signatures, $120 is cheaper than other options for Gene's signature.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deadpin:

For $120 he should be giving you a hand job to go with it....

I'd pay $120 to not have that happen.

#81 7 years ago

I think getting a translight signed by the designer, the star ,or one of the stars the pin is based on is cool, may not add the value you want, but still cool.... that being said I would not pay to have gene Simmons sign anything. I like kiss and their music as a whole but think he is a big tool.
    My .02 worth

#82 7 years ago

Pinside reaps what it sows. PURGE!

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I'd pay $120 to not have that happen.

Maybe if wife Shannon Tweed was providing services......

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think it's BS why he would charge for an autograph. He's already a frickin millionaire and marketing genius

He is not a muti millionaire for no reason, just dumb asses giving away money.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe if wife Shannon Tweed was providing services......

I prefer new young stock...

#86 7 years ago

First time i have agreed with Pezpunk, but Kiss always sucked.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

LOL in the second photo Gene looks like he's about to come after you for taking a picture of him without paying.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

LOL in the second photo Gene looks like he's about to come after you for taking a picture of him without paying.

Remind me of a story I heard years ago about Reggie Jackson. He was signing autographs for $50 each and complained that there was no music. A fan went back to his car and got a boom box so Reggie could listen to music while at the all day signing. At the end of the day the fan retrieved his boom box saying, "Hey Reggie, can you give me an autograph since I loaned you my boombox?". Reggie replied "No way, using that boombox wasn't worth $50!"

Don't know if the story is true but it certainly says a lot about the value of things...

#89 7 years ago

Funny stories for sure. Not sure if I would pay $120. Maybe $25 max!

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

Is the autograph >$100 or did that include admission to ComicCon?
    It is customary to "tip" (or purchase a book or whatever) for an autograph but $120 seems excessive. If that includes admission and then a tip for the autograph ($80 to get into the event and $40 for the autograph) I would think that'd be fun and would add an interesting conversation point to your game.
    I myself wouldn't pay more for an autographed game but it would show you cared about your game and hopefully took good care of it and I'd give that weight when I went to purchase.

With all the 70s bands out on the road to try and take a last shot at bolstering their bank accounts, it does seem like the celebrities get a little shameless in selling all that they have. But......

I have friend that was invited to go to The Indy 500 several years ago with some California racers that are big bucks connected to the Indy people. He said it was a feeding frenzy at the motel where the race drivers were staying. The motel was all fenced in with drivers on the inside and fans on the outside. Autographs were being sold by the drivers. The reason being is that since there was a market for their autographs, if the drivers did not sell them, then some wild-assed opportunists would try to send in the young kids to get freebie sigs and then the opportunists would go and hawk them for big dollars. All it takes is a few people to ruin it for everybody.

So, if Simmons was to give freebies, who would not try and go sell it?

#91 7 years ago

Nope - I wouldn't.

#92 7 years ago

Gene Simmons got tired of people getting his signature and then selling the merchandise on eBay.

So now, he charges for his signature.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Well that's wonderful dude. Congratulations on landing such a devastating blow to Kiss and their fans.
    your favorite band sucks

OMG! Someone doesn't like KISS???

That's a first.

#94 7 years ago

I used to collect autographs and sports memorabilia back when I hated money. Regardless of what you think of Gene Simmons as an individual, a pinball machine is a fairly horrible place for his autograph. There's a reason most autographs are found on items of very little value. The autograph may not be real. Even if it is real you have to convince the next buyer of its authenticity. Rookie cards are horrible places for autographs for this reason. Also the potential buyer is not in the market for an autograph they're buying a pinball machine. You likely won't get a dime out of your $120 investment.

P.S. If you want his autograph, have him sign a 16 x 20 and get it matted and framed. This you could sell if you get authenticated through psa.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from lmsybiatb:

I used to collect autographs and sports memorabilia back when I hated money. Regardless of what you think of Gene Simmons as an individual, a pinball machine is a fairly horrible place for his autograph. There's a reason most autographs are found on items of very little value. The autograph may not be real. Even if it is real you have to convince the next buyer of its authenticity. Rookie cards are horrible places for autographs for this reason. Also the potential buyer is not in the market for an autograph they're buying a pinball machine. You likely won't get a dime out of your $120 investment.
    P.S. If you want his autograph, have him sign a 16 x 20 and get it matted and framed. This you could sell if you get authenticated through psa.

Take a picture of gene signing it and you have your proof. Pay the $120! You only live once and it's only $120.

#96 7 years ago

NOOOOO wayyyyyy!!!!

#97 7 years ago

Damn what happened to the day when autographs were free. I got Alice Cooper to sign a picture I took of him and got to meet him for FREE. I met Motely Crue for FREE. My buddy got Gene Simmons to sign his backglass for free. Now everything costs money and I wouldn't pay a dime for a signature.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from Edster:

Damn what happened to the day when autographs were free. I got Alice Cooper to sign a picture I took of him and got to meet him for FREE. I met Motely Crue for FREE. My buddy got Gene Simmons to sign his backglass for free. Now everything costs money and I wouldn't pay a dime for a signature.

There is a lot that goes into bringing a celebrity into a convention. You usually book through their agent and most times (besides an appearance fee) vendors have to pay for the celebs airfare and room and board. The money you think is going towards someone like Simmons most times goes to the vendor bringing in the celeb in hopes that he/she breaks even.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

KISS sucks. Gene Simmons sucks.
    But even aside from that, it's a waste of money. It's unlikely to add value unless you run across a total sucker with atrocious taste.

LOL

Colorful commentary aside I agree it does not raise the value of your game, at all. A Gene simmons auto is NOT a rare thing, and as the OP sees himself, anybody with 100 bucks and Gene anywhere in the nearby area can do it themselves. If you want Gene Simmons' autograph on your translite and think $120 is fair, go ahead and do it. If you think it's gonna make your game worth more money, probably a waste of time and and an unnecessary gift of $120 to a pretty awful human being.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Fact: KISS does suck. If that hurts anyone's feelings on here, maybe they should re-consider investing their own ego in one of the world's shittiest rock bands.

I am personally offended for Gene Simmons and I will stand up and shout that I am offended for him even though he didn't ask me to take up his cause and doesn't need me to.
    Your words are hurtful and offensive to him and all old has been egotistical rock stars and you should apologize.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-pay-120-for-gene-simmons-autograph/page/2?hl=duvall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.