• Latest reply 5 years ago by MT45
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG4702 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all, there was some wear on the pf around my two (top) bumpers. I mixed the colour best I could (1 shot) and touched them up (two coats to fill damage), lightly sanded (800 dry), waxed etc. I bought some mylar circles but now am unsure if I should use them. I've never dealt with mylar and have had a good look for topics which most seem to be SS/full sheet questions. I guess I'd like to ask - what would you do?

IMAG4702 (resized).jpgIMAG4702 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I always use the adhesive backed mylar rings on my EMs. They protect and help disguise the touch-ups.

#3 5 years ago

I would Mylar in a second. Use quality stuff, not the temporary kind. You want it there forever because if it ever started to lift it would almost certainly take your paint touch ups with it.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I would Mylar in a second. Use quality stuff

Where do you get your Mylar? I haven't been happy with Marco's: adhesive isn't uniform and pattern always transmits through.

#5 5 years ago

I usually wax and polish before I install adhesive mylar rings, they still stick fine and are easier to replace withut pulling paint (rings and sheets from The Pinball Resource)

#6 5 years ago

You look to have done a good job on the touchup. I always have used non adhesive rings from PBR to cover scars and offer pf protection-never had a problem and can always be reversed.

#7 5 years ago

I bought some heavy duty mylar at a guitar shop. They use it to cover the body around the finger area, whatever that is called. Anyway, it seems thicker than the stuff I have seen from Marco and the like.

#8 5 years ago

yup pinball resource sells great mylar rings. I use them on most of my ems. THE MAIN KEY IS don't let the adhesive side touch your finger or anything else at all or you will always see it.

peel back the protective cover exactly half way, fold it over on top of its self. Then lay the side with the 2 layers of protection down on the playfield to center it where you want. Once you have it where you want it press down the farthest edge to start sticking it down. Once you get halfway to where the backing is still on the ring slowly peel off the rest of the backing while attaching the mylar at the same time.

Hope that makes sense.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Where do you get your Mylar? I haven't been happy with Marco's: adhesive isn't uniform and pattern always transmits through.

I've ordered mine from here. Used it on many games with no issues

https://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-mylar-this?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.