New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 91764)

Would you move games in a POD?

By Spraynard

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Spraynard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm moving from Indiana to Texas, and thinking about logistics. I've heard good things about PODS for making long moves (http://www.pods.com/?ViewFull=true). They're basically just small shipping containers that you fill up, they pick up and store, then deliver to your destination. Do you think it'd be safe to put a couple games in one? Has anyone done this?

#2 6 years ago

If they are broken down (not on legs, backbox folded) well blanket-wrapped and padded and the POD is packed so the game doesn't move, you are probably OK.

I wouldn't risk it any other way and certainly wouldn't move games in a pod if they were on legs.

#3 6 years ago

I think that it sounds really dangerous, and honestly just a PIA. You should probably just donate your games to the local arcade or a friends house in the name of generosity and kindness for your other local pinheads.

AKA: I WILL TAKE YOUR GAMES FROM YOU

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

If they are broken down (not on legs, backbox folded) well blanket-wrapped and padded and the POD is packed so the game doesn't move, you are probably OK.
    I wouldn't risk it any other way and certainly wouldn't move games in a pod if they were on legs.

Yes, I would definitely fold down backbox and wrap thoroughly.

#5 6 years ago

How do they load those PODs for transport?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

How do they load those PODs for transport?

You load and unload. They drive.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think that it sounds really dangerous, and honestly just a PIA. You should probably just donate your games to the local arcade or a friends house in the name of generosity and kindness for your other local pinheads.
    AKA: I WILL TAKE YOUR GAMES FROM YOU

I actually might put Shadow and BSD at MSA for the next couple months, in the name of generosity and kindness for other local pinheads. But I'm taking them with me when I leave!

#8 6 years ago

Do the PODs have wheels on them, or do they go on a flat-bed truck?

#9 6 years ago

Not in a Pod, not with a Mod,
    Not under Sod, not even with a guy named Todd.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Do the PODs have wheels on them, or do they go on a flat-bed truck?

Flat bed. Looks like they keep it level at all times.

#11 6 years ago

I've moved a whole apartment worth of furniture and my stuff in a pod...as long as it's packed in there tightly and everything is secure you should be good. You pack it and lock it up and they pick it up and drop it off at the location you tell them to. My stuff never moved and was in the same positing I left them in from....all in a 90 minute drive from one state to the next.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Flat bed. Looks like they keep it level at all times.

Blanket wrapped, secured to the wall, and they keep it level, I would think it would be ok.

#13 6 years ago

I used a POD before (though not with pins) and had no problems at all. It is packed as well as you yourself can pack it.

#14 6 years ago

I think the only time the pod is not level is when it is being loaded and unloaded on the truck. The ones I saw have wheels at one end and a hook that grabs the other and lifts the pod end up and pulls it towards the cab. The doors face the cab so they can't be opened during transit.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I think the only time the pod is not level is when it is being loaded and unloaded on the truck.

That's what I was thinking, they load and unload it like a roll-off dumpster. That part would make me a bit nervous.

#16 6 years ago

We used two pods for our move last year. It really is pretty darn cool how they do it. The pods are brought in on a truck and something they have patented called the "Podzilla" lol, lifts the pod off the truck and sets it down on your driveway. They will tell you to pack the pod extremely full so the load doesn't shift and I can attest to that. After we had ours delivered, nothing had moved an inch. Being on the truck driving around is much, much worse than the loading/unloading of it.

As far as a pin is concerned, I wouldn't hesitate at all packing them in there. Just make sure they are well protected and you'll be fine.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

That's what I was thinking, they load and unload it like a roll-off dumpster. That part would make me a bit nervous.

Here is a video of how they load it. Not like a dumpster.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 37.50
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    2step’s shop
    $ 199.99
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 85.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 52.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.49
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside