View topic image gallery

BigHitNov06 097.jpg
BigHit-9-16-07 040.jpg
BigHit-9-16-07 017.jpg
BigHit-9-16-07 029.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image-5.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I have a 1975 Gottlieb Spirit of 76 which is in great shape and fully shopped working 100% and a friend of mine has a 1977 Gottlieb Big Hit which is in great shape all around cosmetically but does not work and would need to be fully shopped.

He is a good friend and the trade would be straight across.

I Think SO76 is a great game all the way around and on the other hand I have never played a Big Hit so I'm in the dark there. I already own a Gottlieb Abra Ca Dabra and I am worried that the play may be similar in some respects to Big Hit, you know 2 Pop Bumpers at the Bottom and no Slingshots.

What I like about Big Hit:

I think having a baseball themed pin instead of a Pitch and Bat game is a good idea for me seeing all P&B bore me fast and after a couple games I am done, so Big Hit would fill the baseball void as a pinball. I like that it has 4 Flippers and 2 Vari-Targets, something I do not have right now. I also like that there is separate Scoring to track Runs and you can win games that way along with replays and On Playfield Specials. The Wider Playerfield from the missing Ball Shooter Lane and Ball Shooter up the middle is kind of neat too.

So What's the bad with Big Hit and should I make the trade?

Ken

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like a fair trade to me. Price guide has So76 at $675 and Big Hit at $850 so price-wise it's about right if you have to shop it. Plus, trading games is a great way to get something new in the line-up. Big Hit is one of the better baseball games. I haven't owned one but have enjoyed playing it. I'd say go for it.

We'll see what the Big Hit owners say..............

#3 10 years ago

No,
No
Hell NO
only if he threw in $200-$300 with the Big hit, that game kinda Blowzzzz !
JMO but SO76 is an iconic game, it captures a moment in time and is a great playfield layout , it plays fast, the center kick out hole is a skill shot for sure. the lack of slingshots s not a big deal on this game. I would keep this if I were you . Big hit is a Big bore and would Never find a space in my collection ! I don't own a SO76 but would buy one in the right condition if I fund one.

Keep your SO76

#4 10 years ago

Beg to differ. I think BH is a great game. If i had the BH (which I do), i would not trade it away for a SO76.

#5 10 years ago

I clicked this thinking the BH was for Black Hole. I was gonna be like, "that's an easy choice!"

#6 10 years ago

I'd keep So76.

I've owned both. Big Hit is pretty shallow in my opinion. So76 is more challenging and thus, more enduring.

Obviously it depends on condition. I would not trade even at the very least.

Mike O.

#7 10 years ago

I have a Big Hit. Personally, I wouldn't trade it for a Spirit of '76 (which I have played, but have not had one in the collection). But that's mainly a bias towards single-player wedgeheads over multi-players on my part.

Probably won't reach a consensus on this one. However, there are certainly plenty of Spirit of 76 games out there, so the chances of acquiring another one down the road are pretty good. Big Hits appear with some frequency too though, but can be challenging to locate in good cosmetic condition.

The home base area where the turret shooter lands the ball tends to get a lot of wear, and the backglasses like to flake in the reds a lot. The upper plastic tends to get broken on the upper right side. Certainly wouldn't trade if the cosmetic condition was a downgrade.

Big Hit and Abra play very differently.

Big Hit has a 5" gong bell to sound the runs, in addition to the chimes unit, which is kinda cool.

Big Hit is easier to move.

#8 10 years ago

I had a GTB Target pool only a few years old when I was a kid. Sold and regret the hell out of it.
I had a GTB Tropic Isle in the early 80's which I sold and regret the hell out of it.

I now have 3 pins and a couple arcade-style things... sort of running out of room already. I'd put a pin in the bathtub before I sell one. (Does anyone here have a pin in their bathtub?)

Aside from that, I'm kinda bored of my SO76. I probably play my Space Mission 4 to 1 over my SO76. But yea, the SO76 is such a skill shot filled iconic machine and makes that choice so much harder. On the other hand I've seen a lot of them left around and maybe you'd have a chance to get another in the future.

I'm sure BH is a marvelous game but I've personally not been a fan of shooter-less pins.
IPDB:
Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpg
image-5.jpgimage-5.jpg

#9 10 years ago

BH is a simple game but a ton of fun. Lots of fast action at top of p/f with those big 3 inch flippers hitting drop targets. Getting the special is a really satisfying shot. And being able to win specials by home runs is just fun as it's like 2 games in one.

I went somewhere that had 40 EM'S set up and this game was the most fun. May need to be part of a bigger collection as opposed to a single pin.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

(Does anyone here have a pin in their bathtub?)

Sam Harvey does!

#11 10 years ago

Well so far with the poll it looks overwhelming that I DO the trade.

Lots of good points made on both sides of the fence. If I do trade the SO76 I will NOT get another in the future even if I miss it as I am no longer collecting Multiplayer machines. They are just getting too heavy for me to service and move around with my health issues.

Personally I'm not a baseball fan anymore but when I was a kid you bet! Went to a Baseball game in S.F. CA. Candlestick Park to see the Giants play and got a signed Willie Mays full size bat that I still have. Had my choice of that and Willie McCovey or Ken Henderson. Wish I had the Willie McCovey bat too which I tried for but mom said pick 1 only, so I got Say Hey Willie Mays!

Anyone who has not voted yet but has placed a response please do.

I'm waiting for Vic Camp to chime in as well, the Gottlieb Wedgehead king.

I will wait to make my decision until next week sometime so plenty of time for others to respond as well.

Thanks to the folks who have voted.

Ken

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Well so far with the poll it looks overwhelming that I DO the trade.
Lots of good points made on both sides of the fence. If I do trade the SO76 I will NOT get another in the future even if I miss it as I am no longer collecting Multiplayer machines. They are just getting too heavy for me to service and move around with my health issues.
Personally I'm not a baseball fan anymore but when I was a kid you bet! Went to a Baseball game in S.F. CA. Candlestick Park to see the Giants play and got a signed Willie Mays full size bat that I still have. Had my choice of that and Willie McCovey or Ken Henderson. Wish I had the Willie McCovey bat too which I tried for but mom said pick 1 only, so I got Say Hey Willie Mays!
Anyone who has not voted yet but has placed a response please do.
I'm waiting for Vic Camp to chime in as well, the Gottlieb Wedgehead king.
I will wait to make my decision until next week sometime so plenty of time for others to respond as well.
Thanks to the folks who have voted.
Ken

Vic rates it pretty high - a solid 9.

http://www.ipdb.org/rate/showrate.pl?gid=253

I also avoid multi-players due to weight and all those extra score reels!

#13 10 years ago

I've owned them both. I like the Big Hit better. Fun game, wide open, drop targets, baseball.

Better than Spirit of 76 IMO, as I got bored of SO76 quickly.

#14 10 years ago

Big Hit is a home run in my book. Playability is sensational and BH is a player friendly fun game to play too.
It might well be the best baseball themed wedgehead out of the 8 or so that Gottlieb manufactured in the wedgehead series.

Always liked the Vari-Target feature from day one when Gottlieb first introduced it to the player and wider playfield is awesome. Played one at a show near 20 years ago and knew then i would have one forever.

Go here to read my Big Hit rating review on IPDB
http://www.ipdb.org/rate/showuserrate.pl?uid=2655
BigHit-9-16-07 029.jpgBigHit-9-16-07 029.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Just voted. Yeah, I think I'd do it. Not a big fan of either game, but getting a wedgehead is always nice. I played Vic Camp's "BH", and it's pretty cool. Which variety is it? There were at least three variations; one with white, one with woodgrain, and what I believe is the rarest; one with yellow around the flipper area of the lower playfield. I would prefer the woodgrain version myself. I think this is what Vic has.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Which variety is it? There were at least three variations; one with white, one with woodgrain, and what I believe is the rarest; one with yellow around the flipper area of the lower playfield. I would prefer the woodgrain version myself.

It's been a while since I saw the pictures but I believe it is the Wood grain, which I would prefer myself as well.

Ken

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

BH is a simple game but a ton of fun. Lots of fast action at top of p/f with those big 3 inch flippers hitting drop targets. Getting the special is a really satisfying shot. And being able to win specials by home runs is just fun as it's like 2 games in one.
I went somewhere that had 40 EM'S set up and this game was the most fun. May need to be part of a bigger collection as opposed to a single pin.

Sounds alot like my world series, no drops on mine, but mine is 2 games in one too...

I have mine playing blistering fast too, its my second one, my first was a turd ! this one came out amazing, and i am having a ton of fun with it...

I think i would do the trade too, that BH looks like it could be a good time...

#18 10 years ago

YES YES YES so76 650-700 bh 1000-1400

#19 10 years ago

Here is pic of the Big Hit white version playfield which i sold after i restored. I think i have pictures of the yellow version playfield somewhere but might be tough to find.
BigHit-9-16-07 017.jpgBigHit-9-16-07 017.jpgBigHit-9-16-07 040.jpgBigHit-9-16-07 040.jpg

#20 10 years ago

Question: Do the Drop Targets on Big Hit reset on the same ball once all the Targets are down?

Ken

#21 10 years ago

Yes they reset but a player must make the "special when lit" in the home run rollover to reset the drop targets. See pic.
BigHitNov06 097.jpgBigHitNov06 097.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Yes they reset but a player must make the "special when lit" in the home run rollover to reset the drop targets. See pic.

That's a very cool feature Vic!

Thanks for the fyi.

Leaning more towards trading than not at this point. As of 4/9/14 Votes are 14-4 at this point in favor with 2 undecided.

Ken

#23 10 years ago

I have a So76, would have traded it if the wife hadn't threatened me with bodily harm if it ever left the house.

2 weeks later
#24 10 years ago

Talked to my friend today and it looks like the trade is not going to happen from his end for various reasons which I respect.

Oh well, no gain-no loss as both pins are winners. I have other pins on my wishlist and this was never on it to begin with, it would have been a deal out of convenience as he is in Idaho as well.

Thanks to all who voted and gave their opinions.

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-make-the-trade-1975-gottlieb-so76-for-a-1977-gottlieb-bh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.