Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you attend a pinball show held today?”

• Yes 130 votes
      38%
    • No 212 votes
      62%

(342 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Having gone to my first amazing pinball shows in Allentown and York last year, I, like many of you was disappointed that this years’ have mostly been cancelled for health and safety reasons. There are several show, namely the York show in October that have not been cancelled as of yet. Let me give you this hypothetical question. The Texas Pinball Festival, Allentown Show, Pintastic, whatever is held today or this week exactly as it was last year (with masks) to include awesome Amish market magically showing up and held within walking distance of your house (no travel considerations). It has the same level of attendance as last year. Would you go?

Please note the specific COVID thread is available here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/365#post-5826821 It is not my intent to have the COVID debate (although I’m sure it will come up) but to determine people’s willingness to go to a show. I have no dog in this and am simply curious.

#2 3 years ago

Yes, with a mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer.

#3 3 years ago

It would depend, but I think I would go if everyone was wearing masks.

#4 3 years ago

Only if there’s a way to make sure everyone entering show has showered and washed thoroughly.

#5 3 years ago

I’d would consider it, if the games were spaced out and masks required.

That said, I guess I’m not 100% sure. I have been travelling a lot lately across the country, and it is really surprising how many people are out and about, and not wearing masks indoors.

We have lost a coworker, a neighbor and an extended family member due to this thing. I’m not messing around getting my family sick, or worse.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Only if there’s a way to make sure everyone entering show has showered and washed thoroughly.

LOL also this! And crop dusting is outlawed

#7 3 years ago

I would go to cruise through any flea market area, to see the new game(s), then probably leave within 2 hours. I don’t think I could really enjoy myself worrying about germ vectors.

I’d crush a few pretzel rolls on the way in and probably the way out though!

#8 3 years ago

No, already been a few Tournies I had to turn down.

#9 3 years ago

No. Zero reason for me to take that risk. After a vaccine is available then I’ll go to non-necessary places.

#10 3 years ago

No way. Congregating in an enclosed space with a large number of people from all over the place all packed together and all touching the same things sounds like an unnecessary risk to me that is easily avoided. Plus, I've seen way too many people out in public even here locally who aren't following good or even basic hygiene practices. I've seen people *still* leaving the bathroom without washing their hands.

Being a show runner myself, I certainly wouldn't want my show to be a contributing factor for the spread of infections. That just wouldn't be good for anybody.

#11 3 years ago

Fun can wait. We all have to just fight c19 out together.

#12 3 years ago

I would go. Since Publix Supermarkets has removed the directional arrows from their shopping aisles, so I know the threat is gone

#13 3 years ago

before asking people whether they would attend a show or not, the first question to ask is whether promoters would even consider promoting a pinball show given the current environment. if there is no show in the first place, whether people would be willing to attend is moot.

the feasibility [financial and otherwise] of pinball shows has dropped due to covidity. if a promoter expects :

half his regular attendees to stay home,
    half the number of games to be donated,
    half the number of volunteers willing to help,
    sponsors to drop out,
    be required to take extra precautions to provide a safe/responsible event with the need to police safe practices during the event ...

we are checking off the wrong boxes here.

#14 3 years ago

I would maybe consider PATZ because it is very spaced out, sparsely attended on a good year, and the facility (basically a giant shed) has doors on all sides that could be opened for airflow. Even then I would want strict mask enforcement.

Hotel show like TPF or Expo? No thanks.

#15 3 years ago

The only one coming up I may get sent to is TPF 2021.

Too many unknowns at this point 6 months before.

I might not get sent. COVID might be an issue.

We shall see.

I do miss going, and all the posts of other shows and pictures.

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago

Would not even hesitate, I would go to one today. CDC released new data last week that showed only 6% of the deaths was strictly caused by COVID. That comes out to 10,000 total deaths. The other 140,000 was folks who had at least 2.6 morbidities or was on death bed anyway.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen people *still* leaving the bathroom without washing their hands.

Your moderation knows no bounds...

#18 3 years ago

I am planning on attending the Houston arcade and gaming expo in November. I will be wearing a mask and have a bottle of sanitizer in my pocket.

I can't speak for every area, but my state has mandatory masks, occupancy percentages, distancing measures for businesses, and required sanitation areas indoors. As such, I feel pretty safe.

#19 3 years ago

I don’t think your math is correct, sorry to say it. I wish that were true.

What the CDC’s update really means is that 94% of the people who died from the coronavirus had at least one other health condition, in addition to COVID-19, that could have contributed to their passing — not that the additional factor was the sole reason for it.

Quoted from woody76:

Would not even hesitate, I would go to one today. CDC released new data last week that showed only 6% of the deaths was strictly caused by COVID. That comes out to 10,000 total deaths. The other 140,000 was folks who had at least 2.6 morbidities or was on death bed anyway.

#20 3 years ago

I was curious to see what others opinion was on this as we all live in our own little social circles.

I personally would stop by the all you can eat self serve gas station Indian food buffet on the way to attend the show before attending a twister tournament and concert prior to getting on the (heavily discounted) cruise ship, but I know we all don't feel the same way.

Assuming York is cancelled (it probably will be) I will hold a smallerish pinball get together to get social pinballing out of my system and allow a few people that aren't too worried about things to swing by. I totally understand cancelling the shows from a health, safety, and financial point of view.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

You could say the same thing for AIDS. It's a contributing factor but not the sole reason for deaths.

#22 3 years ago

I avoid any activity that requires wearing a mask. Hate them.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Your moderation knows no bounds...

Well...do you wash your hands after using the bathroom?

tenor.giftenor.gif

The point was that even before covid, it was kind of gross to just leave without washing after using the bathroom.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well...do you wash your hands after using the bathroom?
    [quoted image]

#25 3 years ago

Nope. As much as I love the shows, I love my family even more

#26 3 years ago

Nope, I wouldn't take a chance right now. There's no way to have everyone at a pinball event spaced out. Everything is temporary in life and I can wait for things to be safer.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The other 140,000 was folks who had at least 2.6 morbidities or was on death bed anyway.

Oh, was they?

How can someone have .6 of a (co)morbidity, I wonder? The 2.6 was an average, not a minimum! Slight difference.

One of them is obesity, suffered by over 40% of the US population.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Quoted from jkashani:

I don’t think your math is correct, sorry to say it. I wish that were true.
    What the CDC’s update really means is that 94% of the people who died from the coronavirus had at least one other health condition, in addition to COVID-19, that could have contributed to their passing — not that the additional factor was the sole reason for it.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Oh, was they?
    How can someone have .6 of a (co)morbidity, I wonder? The 2.6 was an average, not a minimum! Slight difference.

I wasn't trying to start another COVID thread and would strongly recommend continuing this particular conversation in the CORONAVIRUS thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/365#post-5826821

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

That's a relief. Zero chance of comorbidity factors in the pinball community.

#30 3 years ago

I think even if they happen, the turnout from vendors, people bringing free play games, and attendees will be so low that it wouldn’t be worth attending.

Otherwise, I can’t really put a finger on why I wouldn’t attend. At his point I think just want a fresh start next year.

#31 3 years ago

Yikes not a chance. Pinball shows will be waiting in 2021.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I wasn't trying to start another COVID thread and would strongly recommend continuing this particular conversation in the CORONAVIRUS thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/365#post-5826821

I'll bite - what kind of thread are you trying to start if not a covid thread? Obviously we would all love to go to a show (those of us that normally enjoy them anyway), but you know...global pandemic.

#33 3 years ago

Good way to judge your Covid risk at a pinball show is: how bad is the cropdusting? If it smells like the East expansion shed at the VFW a couple years ago, that's a lot of droplets in your nose & lungs.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I'll bite - what kind of thread are you trying to start if not a covid thread? Obviously we would all love to go to a show (those of us that normally enjoy them anyway), but you know...global pandemic.

It's a poll about attending pinball shows. Not about debating covid, the politics surrounding covid, the responses to covid, etc.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's a poll about attending pinball shows. Not about debating covid, the politics surrounding covid, the responses to covid, etc.

Sure...but the reason all the shows are not happening is because of covid.

Not trying to have a discussion about lung cancer, but would you smoke if it didn't give you lung cancer?

Anyway, cast my vote, carry on!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Mostly I wanted to know if people would go to a pinball show if they were allowed to do so right now. Going into this I was under the impression an overwhelming majority would say yes. Alas, I was wrong. Even if my favorite pinball show were allowed to go tomorrow I would be contributing a game to a much smaller show. I was under the impression that the pent up demand for a show would make the York show huge if it went, but I was wrong. There is alwasy next year... And the pinball machines in my basement are always fun!

#37 3 years ago

I would go. It is almost getting to the point of realization where living in fear is no way to life.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I avoid any activity that requires wearing a mask. Hate them.

Not big on Halloween?

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not big on Halloween?

Sex parties?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This should apply even pre COVID.

If there’s a show where everyone has I sure haven’t been to it haha.

#41 3 years ago

Why cant we do a show in a high school gymnasium? Spread the games out 6-8 ft with 12ft aisles. Everybody uses sanitizer between games and wears masks. It would work. If its warm enough out, leave the exterior doors open for air.

#42 3 years ago

Not me

If you saw my family you’d wonder why.

We look so young & healthy.

But we ain’t fine.

So I have to pick & choose my battles.

Pinball shows are not something I’d consider. But, I’m jealous & happy for those that would attend. Y’all lucky AF

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Why cant we do a show in a high school gymnasium? Spread the games out 6-8 ft with 12ft aisles. Everybody uses sanitizer between games and wears masks. It would work. If its warm enough out, leave the exterior doors open for air.

Most gymnasiums probably wouldn't have the necessary electrical circuits available. With the gymnasiums I've seen, pretty much all the outlets along the walls are on one or two 20 amp circuits.

With the limited electric, it wouldn't be a very large show.

#44 3 years ago

Yes, and I would play the snot out of as many games I could in 4 hours. After that my feet start to hurt standing in one place. Combat pinball with all the PPE.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not big on Halloween?

It was fun back when I was in college.

#46 3 years ago

To the extent it applies to this thread, here is a short Covid story. Several weeks back, my wife's father held his annual backyard picnic and barbeque. In total, 12 people attended ranging from 14 y/o to 83. Unknown at the time, my brother in law was infected with Covid and was feeling sick. He didn't know at that moment he had Covid - only that he didn't feel good. He tested positive the next day. (Why he attended the party you ask when he knew he didn't feel good and exposed all of us? Another subject for another time.)

I sat next to my brother in law no more than 3 or 4 feet away for at least 4 hours. During this time, there were the requisite handshakes, hugs, beers shared, communal chips and dips and nut bowls, etc. Everyone was in very close and continual proximity with each other throughout the 4 or 5 hour event. No masks were worn, nor were hands washed or sanitized. The party was mostly outdoors, but we were all indoors in close proximity for a part of the time together.

Fast forward three weeks now... Brother in law said he felt like he had a mild cold. It went away in about a week. His wife and two teenaged children did not get it and in fact tested negative. Other sister and her teenaged son tested negative. Father and mother in law (79 and 83) did not get it. Neither I, my wife, or our two sons got it. Its been more than 14 days now so the likelihood of getting it now is slim to none. Also, wife tested negative today.

So bottom line, out of 12 people in close proximity with no protection and a positive Covid patient, nobody else got it! Maybe the virus is mutating to a less dangerous form, maybe the hype is over blown, maybe we are all just lucky. I don't know. But I am no longer nearly so concerned about getting it as I once was!

#47 3 years ago

The masks will stop the smell from crop dusting!

#49 3 years ago

No way would I go! A lot of people around here don’t wear masks and don’t follow the 14 day quarantine law when going to other states. Sign there own death sentence!

#50 3 years ago

Absolutely not. It would be almost impossible to hold a decent show under current conditions. I can’t imagine any show organizer would even want to try.

I’m suspect TPF, Expo and other shows will return in 2022. I’m looking forward to it. Shows in 2020 and 2021 are impractical. I think *maybe* by 4Q21 we might be able to safely attend but given the lead time needed to put on a show I don’t see that happening.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-go-to-a-pinball-show-if-held-today-poll-inside?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.