(Topic ID: 290660)

Would you ever take a post-dated check... from a friend?

By DanQverymuch

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I agree, cash is king.

But if a friend, one you knew was not a deadbeat, wanted you to accept a post-dated check for a pin, would you even consider it?

Remember checks? They still work, and it's still illegal to pass bad ones.

What other details in such a scenario would make it work for you, or not? Local? Length of post-date? A couple hundred extra simoleons?

Is the post-date the deal breaker for you, or would you not take a check no matter what? (I realize banks say post-dating at all is a no-no, but how would they know unless you deposited it before the post-date? And that would be asking for trouble.)

A lot of stores have even stopped accepting them. But a friend is different, or is it?

#2 3 years ago

well, if the idea is by that date they would have the money, then i would say i will hold this game for you until that date and you give me that straight cash homie

#3 3 years ago

Why the heck would you? A friend puts cash on the glass or or has the money to get a bank certified check.
    -Mike

#4 3 years ago

Two ways I could look at it. I would take the check but when I cash it and if it bounces, that friend knows I'm coming to do damage to him. There will be an agreement knee caps will be broken. Or, you wait till he brings cash and then let him take the pin.

#5 3 years ago

Cash. Cash. Cash. And Cash.

The only checks I write these days are to PBResource.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

and it's still illegal to pass bad ones.

A lot of things are illegal. The trouble is actually trying to recoup losses through the legal system.

accept a post-dated check

No, never.

What other details in such a scenario would make it work for you

Wait for the check to actually clear before the buyer takes ownership. That's at least 2 weeks. It takes at least 5 business days to pass through the clearinghouse.

But a friend is different, or is it?

I'd be willing to hold a game for a friend, or offer first right of refusal, or other non-monetary stuff like that. But when it comes to actual money part, I don't offer any special methods of payment. Though I have accepted a short-term layaway plan (in cash).

#6 3 years ago

One of the things watching Judge Judy for the past 20 years has taught me is never, ever loan money to friends.

#7 3 years ago

If you really want to sell to this friend, here's what I might do: accept a small cash depost. $100-$200 or whatever. Then when he has cash in hand for the remaining amount, he can get the game.

#8 3 years ago

unless you don't want him to be your friend anymore !

#9 3 years ago

If this was a good friend I would just hand them the machine and they can pay me on the date specified. Otherwise I can hold it until that date. Anything other than these 2 options questions the level of friendship

#10 3 years ago

Define "friend"...

#11 3 years ago

A real friend will never put you in a situation you don't want to be in.
    Cash on the glass, he knows this.
    Why the hell use cheks? Your friend a dinosaur?

#12 3 years ago

Tyranosaurus-cheks would be my nickname for him from now on!

#13 3 years ago

I've given and received checks to/from trusted friends of mine for pinball purchases. Key word being trusted. Your friend should never put you in that situation.

Also, not to demean or belittle, but if you need to post-date a check, you should probably get your priorities straightened out before buying pinball machines.

A good friend should be able to be trusted, but a good friend would also wait until they have the cash to back it up and not put you in a precarious situation.

#14 3 years ago

I think yor best answer would be:
    NoDanQverymuch!

#15 3 years ago

Friends tend to become ex-friends when you do something sketchy like this. No thanks.

#16 3 years ago

Yes absolutely their a friend!

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Define "friend"...

Someone from whom I would take a check. Or who I would probably give the machine to today and wait a few days for the cash.

If I know them but wouldn't take their check, that's an acquaintance.

By the way, post dated checks are never caught by the bank, so he's just trusting you to wait.

#18 3 years ago

Friends don't let friends buy drunk... because they would have to be high or wasted to ask for the machine before I have the payment, friend or not. How many people have you sold a car to where you said, hey here are the keys, and I promise I won't cash the check for two weeks?

#19 3 years ago

Yes, I have done it for FRIENDS. Not necessarily a post dated check but I gave them the game before they gave me payment. I am starting to think some of you guys do not have true friends.

#20 3 years ago

There’s some pinball friends you know you can trust. Heck, one pinball friend kpg let me pay $5k for his AFMRLE, and I paid the rest a month or two later.

#21 3 years ago

I've sold multiple pins to friends with post dated checks or "pay me in a week or two when you get the money". If you can't trust your 'friend' to pay you, or make it up somehow if something goes wrong, I don't think I'd consider them to be my friend

#22 3 years ago

I've made lots if deals with friends ,post dated checks. But, I've got good friends. So not worried

#23 3 years ago

With all this talk of checks I am curious if any of you have ordered from The Pinball Resource?

Also a post dated check means nothing as it can be cashed at any time. Ask me how I know...

#24 3 years ago

From a friend, sure
    from another pinsider, no way

#25 3 years ago

My Lawyer requested a check today as the payment option.
    You get cheaper precious metals if you pay by check.
    PBR payments are important.
    Friend kiting a check?
    No. He can give me 20 bucks and I will hold it and he can come by and play it (if he's a friend).
    I might front it to him (hmm, can't think of anyone beside close Family right now I would do that).
    So no. Again.

#26 3 years ago

I did that years ago for a friend of mine. He just needed a few bucks to tide him over until payday so he gave me a post dated check. Was only a few hundred bucks so I wasn't too worried and I'd known him for a few years. Haven't seen him in decades now and never got the money back. I see it as a cheap ticket to get off an out-of-control train before it crashed and cost me a heck of a lot more.

#27 3 years ago

Usually the question I ask myself about trusting a friend in any type of high priority situation would be,
    “Can I trust this friend to hold a loaded gun to my head.”
    Whatever answer I feel like from that phrase, is what I’d go with towards the situation at hand.
    And lastly...don’t ever be angry at your friends, only be angry at yourself for being with them.

#28 3 years ago

Speaking of checks, one jerk off guy I did business with eventually paid me after some time (a small amount) but he had a nice little trick. He didn't sign the check. That bought him even more time.

#29 3 years ago

If you can’t trust a friends check he ain’t your friend.

#30 3 years ago

If you want keep friend just make it a gift .

These things can get ugly .

Shane

#31 3 years ago

I have bought two pins with personal checks. But I’m confused! Are we ever supposed to sell pins?

#32 3 years ago

I don’t have any friends that would put me into that kind of position.

#33 3 years ago

Friends don't let friends use checks.

#34 3 years ago

Yes I would, but I'm pretty close with all my friends

#35 3 years ago

For a pinball machine no. I will hold it for him till he gets the the cash

To make his mortgage payment to keep his family in his house. Yes.

#36 3 years ago

It depends how good the friend was. I've delivered a game to a friend's house with no money exchanged at the time because I knew he was good for it, but there are only a handful of people I'd do that for. A post dated check is really no different.

#37 3 years ago

Like I figured, folks are all over the place on this one.

FYI it was all hypothetical, I neither want someone to take my check, nor does someone want me to take theirs.

The full scenario I had envisioned: friend wants to take possession of game, fix it up, sell it, use proceeds to cover post-dated check. What could go wrong?

#38 3 years ago

I have had close friends take games before they could pay. On one occasion they tried to back out and we worked something out. Otherwise I will just wait for cash or find a different buyer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-ever-take-a-post-dated-check-from-a-friend- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.