Would you ever buy a game that had previous termite damage

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy a game hat had previous termite damage even if it was professionally treated”

• Yes 1 vote
    2%
  • No 33 votes
    62%
  • It depends on how good of a deal it is 19 votes
    36%

(53 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-597.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just curious. I would probably not buy one that had previous termite damage just because I have a pretty big phobia for any creepy crawlers. What about you guys though.

Assume the cabinet has been treated and that the infestation is removed.

#2 9 years ago

Depends on the level of effort you want to put into it.
The nice thing about termites is they don't eat wiring And they don't seem to like the taste of playfields.

I'd buy if the price is right, but I would absolutely replace the cabinet immediately, and likely not even take it into my house.

I would never buy a termite damaged cabinet and keep it.

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like a good parts machine.

#4 9 years ago

Depends on the game and the amount of damage. I definitely do not like the idea of termite damage but if it's a rare game, well... A lot of the wood panels are easy to recreate with a table saw and/or router (I'm thinking the often termite damaged old EMs) Plus, I learned after needing to replace many water damaged cabinets this past year, donor cabinets are readily available if you're patient.

#5 9 years ago

Can't answer without knowing the game.

#6 9 years ago

Here is the situation. I actually already have the game but am not bringing it into my house for obvious reasons.

I picked up a Demolition Man in trade for a Police Force straight up. The Demo Man had some issues (Gassed out DMD, Broken plastics, and trough opto errors) and reported "cabinet damage" around the bottom which is why I was getting it even. I had dealt with the guy before on several occasions and had never had an issue. I looked it over and it had a bit of wavy appearance at the bottom. I thought ehhh, it has some light water damage not a big deal.

I brought it home fixed the opto issue (broken wire on the connector) and started to do my usual clean up of the cabinet. Once I opened it up and dove in with the shop vac I started to notice what looked like sand falling out of the cracks. Instantly I knew. I took a screw driver and split some of the bracing to inspect. There was no evidence of current infestation but I broke the game down and loaded it back up anyways.

It never made it into my house so that is a plus but man this sucks.

I texted the guy I got it from and he said that it had been professionally treated and that he has had the game 8 months and there are no signs of any further termite issues.

The Playfield is fine, the back box is firm and untouched but the lower cabinet is ate up. I am looking to recoup money so I am either parting it out or looking for a donor cabinet. I feel a little mislead. If I had a game that had termite damage, even if it was no longer an issue I believe I would report it to a would be buyer, especially one I had dealt with before.

I am in $995 on it right now and I am pretty pissed.

#7 9 years ago

He should have said something. Do all the panels have damage or just some? Maybe replace the bad panels?

#8 9 years ago

Did he tell you about the termite issue before the trade?

#9 9 years ago

Maybe not termites but a wood worm infestation and every bit the same problem. The buyer should have informed you of the problem, remedied or not.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Did he tell you about the termite issue before the trade?

The text he sent me said, and I quote, "a bit of a rough cabinet"

Quoted from 85Txaggie:

He should have said something. Do all the panels have damage or just some? Maybe replace the bad panels?

agreed. and yes every panel is damaged.

#11 9 years ago

Call your local pest control company.

Both Termites and Powder Post Beetles that infest furniture, can be locked in a chamber and gassed or heated.

#12 9 years ago

I am certain that the infestation is gone. I guess I am really just looking for a donor cabinet at this point since I hate the fact of having to part out a fully working game. It is just aggravating that I wasn't informed.

#13 9 years ago

All is well. I have found a new cabinet for my demo man.

#14 9 years ago

Wow that was quick!

#15 9 years ago

I'd buy the right pin for the right price and promptly toss the cabinet. It would not go anywhere near my home. Lived in a block and steel frame home for 10 years. Never treated and never had an issue with termites. Bought a brick on wood frame home. Got them within a year of the Termidor treatment expiring. No fun at all and I caught it early. Any house I own gets a termite bond regardless of construction type now. Too much of a PITA if you get them.

#16 9 years ago

I'm a licensed termite inspector.
Do you happen to know what kind of termites?
Yes, there are different kinds. Was there any evidence of mud tubes on or in the cabinet?
If not, it's most likely dry wood termites. If the game was properly treated you should be fine.
I would look at also using wood filler.
Sand,paint and decal.
If the damage is too bad you will need to replace with new wood.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I'm a licensed termite inspector.
Do you happen to know what kind of termites?
Yes, there are different kinds. Was there any evidence of mud tubes on or in the cabinet?
If not, it's most likely dry wood termites. If the game was properly treated you should be fine.
I would look at also using wood filler.
Sand,paint and decal.
If the damage is too bad you will need to replace with new wood.

They were dry wood I believe. Left like piles of brown gray sand no mud tubes. I have already removed the playfield and the backbox. I am picking up the cabinet tomorrow and will start moving everything over.

I will be starting a bonfire in the field soon. Lol.

#18 9 years ago

I bought many when I was living in Florida. I had a deal set with a local exterminator. I'd drop off the pin, he'd gas it along with whatever else he had going in, and he would issue me a statement that I included with each sale. Only one time were they bad enough that I had to find a donor cabinet.

I think location might influence people. I'd never buy one here in the north. In Florida, it was too common and too easy to treat a machine.

#19 9 years ago

Would you buy a house that had previous termite damage even if it had been professionally treated?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would you buy a house that had previous termite damage even if it had been professionally treated?

I'm not quite sure the investment is the same lol. Maybe

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, if it had a current termite bond and was fixed right. On my home a 3 ft wide section of an exterior wall had damage going about 7 ft up. That was it. All you could see was where they ate through the caulk at the seams on the drywall and baseboard (subterranean termites). I had the sheetrock cut out anyways (lots of people don't and just cover it up). Oh boy was it a mess. Had professionals cut out the bad stuff and replace and brace and it is all good. I disclosed everything and had no problems selling the house. Shi* happens......

Big thumbs up for Florida Pest Control. I got 3 bids for treatment. They beat everybody else by ~$1K. Not only that, on the initial inspection they treated the affected area free of charge to prevent any further damage.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Once again - it depends. In Wisconsin, no, as it is rare here and probably trouble. In Florida - yes, as it is common. As stated above, the key is proper treatment, repair, and disclosure.

#23 9 years ago

Friend of mine purchased two Rotation 4 at auction both non working.
The only think left on one of the bases was the fake wood vainer.
Worst damage I had ever seen.

#24 9 years ago

Easy to treat, I own a pest control company. If you have a infestation of termites or wood boring beetles the machine can be treated in a fumigation vault with Methyl Bromide without damage to machine. Find a local pest control company that offers this service for fumigation and ask when you can bring it in on a slow week to save some money. Its 100% effective without spraying liquid chemicals on the machine.

#25 9 years ago

The new cabinet has been installed. Game plays great. I have been very blessed. Picked up a used DMD as well. I have a total of $1095 in the game, between the two trips about 9 hours driving, and about 7 hours worth of work. Now I'm on the hunt for elusive DM plastics.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-597.jpgimage-597.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Did that once, i'll pass down the road.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

The new cabinet has been installed. Game plays great. I have been very blessed. Picked up a used DMD as well. I have a total of $1095 in the game, between the two trips about 9 hours driving, and about 7 hours worth of work. Now I'm on the hunt for elusive DM plastics.

i may have some DM plastics... let me know if you are in Lexington in the future

image.jpg 118 KB

image.jpg 188 KB

image-597.jpg 154 KB

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
$ 81.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-ever-buy-a-game-that-had-previous-termite-damage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.